Driver Carry distance not matching up with the rest of my clubs.

T2WIN

Just curious to see what you all might have to say about this or maybe even have some good suggestions on where to look or what might be the issue? All of my clubs in my bag avg between the 113 and 116 clubhead swing speed carry distances for each club. The only one that is lagging behind is the driver. So to me there is something I'm doing when I'm hitting the driver that is keeping my swing speeds down and not equal to the rest of my clubs. I'm thinking maybe it could be I'm playing the ball to far forward? I play my 3 wood just forward about a ball or 2 in front of the middle  of my stance and I can carry that 245 avg. Which as stated puts me in the 113 to 116 mph club head speed. Also, like I said everyone of my other clubs fit perfect in these swing speeds because every club's carry distance is about spot on to what the numbers should be for those swing speeds. If anyone has any suggestions or might have something to look for a to try to see if it will help I'm all ears on this subject. My driver loft is 8.5 LS and is the Callaway Epic speed driver with Fujikura Ventus Black 7X shaft. I have the same shaft in my 3 wood. My spin rates for the driver are between the 1800 to 2700 range. Thanks. 

Contact a local golf shop and get a tune-up fitting for your driver.

To maximize driver carry, you need to get enough of a launch angle to maximize distance. Primary determinant of driver launch angle and distance is clubhead design/loft. Shafts are a fine-tuning factor.

Here is a chart from Golf Week magazine. More detailed charts are also available. Possibly a spin rate of under 2,000 is not optimal for your swing speed. Others will comment on this, I'm sure.

Desired launch angle, spin rates change based on driver speed

Also, do you get 113-116 MPH clubhead speed for all your clubs? Driver maybe, but 5i not likely.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

1 hour ago, T2WIN said:

The only one that is lagging behind is the driver. So to me there is something I'm doing when I'm hitting the driver that is keeping my swing speeds down and not equal to the rest of my clubs. I'm thinking maybe it could be I'm playing the ball to far forward? I play my 3 wood just forward about a ball or 2 in front of the middle  of my stance and I can carry that 245 avg. . 

How far do you carry your driver shots ?

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, T2WIN said:

All of my clubs in my bag avg between the 113 and 116 clubhead swing speed carry distances for each club.  

Are you sure about this? It would be unheard of to swing a scoring iron with speed. 

• Haha 1

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

1 minute ago, YMark said:

Are you sure about this? It would be unheard of to swing a scoring iron with speed. 

He's probably looking at a table or an app that says "if you swing your driver XXX miles per hour here's how far you should hit all your clubs". 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

How far do you carry your driver shots ?

Avg. is 265. This is why I was saying compared to all my other clubs my driver is not lining up with the numbers I should be getting compared to all the other clubs in my bag. It states my driver should be carrying 275 to 280 if it falls in line with how far all my other clubs are carrying. I mean sure it's not a lot less than it should be but it's still frustrating since all the other clubs are spot on. 

Edited by T2WIN

1 minute ago, T2WIN said:

Avg. is 265. This is why I was saying compared to all my other clubs my driver is not lining up with the numbers I should be getting compared to all the other clubs in my bag. 

If you carry your 3-wood 245 then 265 carry with driver is more than fine, excellent.

• Like 1

Right I get that but I'd still like to be carrying my driver the expected distance like with the rest of my clubs. I'm sure you get it what I'm talking about. I feel there is something I'm doing that is causing me to lose some clubhead speed some where with my driver because I don't have any issues with the rest of my clubs. 

I think that you driver swing speed isn’t as fast as you think. 

My i210 PW goes 125 yards, so I have a 100 mph SS.

My P790 PW goes 140, so I have a 115 SS.

My Rogue SZ 3 wood carries 235, so I have a 115 SS.

My SIM2 4 wood carries 240, so I have what, 120?

One of the above is actually correct. The chart is a poor estimate and confusing. Go to any golf store and have it measured. It’s free. 

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

8 minutes ago, T2WIN said:

Right I get that but I'd still like to be carrying my driver the expected distance like with the rest of my clubs. I'm sure you get it what I'm talking about. I feel there is something I'm doing that is causing me to lose some clubhead speed some where with my driver because I don't have any issues with the rest of my clubs. 

You need to get on a launch monitor and look at your angle of attack and launch angle. You should be able to squeeze out another 10-15 yards with either equipment tweaks or setup tweaks (ball position, tee height, amount of shoulder tilt).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, T2WIN said:

Just curious to see what you all might have to say about this or maybe even have some good suggestions on where to look or what might be the issue? All of my clubs in my bag avg between the 113 and 116 clubhead swing speed carry distances for each club. The only one that is lagging behind is the driver. So to me there is something I'm doing when I'm hitting the driver that is keeping my swing speeds down and not equal to the rest of my clubs. I'm thinking maybe it could be I'm playing the ball to far forward? I play my 3 wood just forward about a ball or 2 in front of the middle  of my stance and I can carry that 245 avg. Which as stated puts me in the 113 to 116 mph club head speed. Also, like I said everyone of my other clubs fit perfect in these swing speeds because every club's carry distance is about spot on to what the numbers should be for those swing speeds. If anyone has any suggestions or might have something to look for a to try to see if it will help I'm all ears on this subject. My driver loft is 8.5 LS and is the Callaway Epic speed driver with Fujikura Ventus Black 7X shaft. I have the same shaft in my 3 wood. My spin rates for the driver are between the 1800 to 2700 range. Thanks. 

113 and 116 clubhead swing speed…3 wood just forward about a ball or 2 in front of the middle  of my stance and I can carry that 245 avg.

113-116 should carry further than 245 with a three wood, assuming launch and spin are right. I’m around the same swing speed and carry my 18* hybrid 240. 

spin rates for the driver are between the 1800 to 2700 range.

1800-2700 is a huge range to try to get an average from. That sounds like both fade and draw swings are in that number. Realistically you should have a carry number for both shot shapes, if you play them or work off of the shorter carry number. 

Based off of the carry numbers you provided it seems, to me at least, that your club head speed is actually a little slower than the 113-116 number. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

6 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

113 and 116 clubhead swing speed…3 wood just forward about a ball or 2 in front of the middle  of my stance and I can carry that 245 avg.

113-116 should carry further than 245 with a three wood, assuming launch and spin are right. I’m around the same swing speed and carry my 18* hybrid 240. 

spin rates for the driver are between the 1800 to 2700 range.

1800-2700 is a huge range to try to get an average from. That sounds like both fade and draw swings are in that number. Realistically you should have a carry number for both shot shapes, if you play them or work off of the shorter carry number. 

Based off of the carry numbers you provided it seems, to me at least, that your club head speed is actually a little slower than the 113-116 number. 

I understand but again the only club that isn't on spot as far as carry distances for those swing speeds is my driver if you go by the swing speed charts. Reason for the post was to try to see if maybe some who may have had a similar issue would reply and give me some good ideas on getting my driver up to par with all the other clubs in the bag. I do appreciate all the input. Also, if you look at the charts at 113 Driver swing speed to states 3 wood carry to be 243. 

Edited by T2WIN

36 minutes ago, T2WIN said:

Right I get that but I'd still like to be carrying my driver the expected distance like with the rest of my clubs. I'm sure you get it what I'm talking about.

15 to 20 yards additional carry for driver versus 3-wood is common/standard, for all skill levels including Tour players. But if you want longer carry distance with your driver then changing from 8.5* loft to 9.5* or 10.5* would likely get that done.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, T2WIN said:

I understand but again the only club that isn't on spot as far as carry distances for those swing speeds is my driver if you go by the swing speed charts. Reason for the post was to try to see if maybe some who may have had a similar issue would reply and give me some good ideas on getting my driver up to par with all the other clubs in the bag. I do appreciate all the input. Also, if you look at the charts at 113 Driver swing speed to states 3 wood carry to be 243. 

What "charts" ?

Are you sure you're driver SS is 115 ? At 115 you should carry about 285 or so.

You can't directly equate driver with the other clubs because the mechanics are and launch conditions are different. With the driver the ball is teed up and one almost always hits with a level to upward angle of attack. This result in a launch angle higher than that stated on the driver.

With the other clubs the ball is on the ground. They (generally ?) launch lower than the stated loft of the clubs.

It's not uncommon for a driver to launch 5 or more degrees higher than the stated loft while irons typically launch quite a bit lower than their stated lofts.

You need to get on a launch monitor.

1141640118_WRXDRIVERLAUNCH2.png.b9eb1173b40165e20d76ae2062ee92d4.png

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

13 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

15 to 20 yards additional carry for driver versus 3-wood is common/standard, for all skill levels including Tour players. But if you want longer carry distance with your driver then changing from 8.5* loft to 9.5* or 10.5* would likely get that done.

This is bad advice and is flat out wrong. Having a higher loft doesn’t equate to having longer carry distance. 

We would need way more information, from a launch monitor mentioned above, to be able even begin to help solve the issue OP posed. 

• Thanks 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

You need detailed launch monitor data for us to say anything for sure, but the driver is the easiest club in the bag to have distance loss due to launch condition inefficiencies. 

We need accurately measured swing speed, ball speed, launch angle, dynamic loft, angle of attack, and spin rate to diagnose the problem. In a pinch we can do without the AoA and dynamic loft. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

7 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

What "charts" ?

Are you sure you're driver SS is 115 ? At 115 you should carry about 285 or so.

You can't directly equate driver with the other clubs because the mechanics are and launch conditions are different. With the driver the ball is teed up and one almost always hits with a level to upward angle of attack. This result in a launch angle higher than that stated on the driver.

With the other clubs the ball is on the ground. They (generally ?) launch lower than the stated loft of the clubs.

It's not uncommon for a driver to launch 5 or more degrees higher than the stated loft while irons typically launch quite a bit lower than their stated lofts.

You need to get on a launch monitor.

1141640118_WRXDRIVERLAUNCH2.png.b9eb1173b40165e20d76ae2062ee92d4.png

Here is a chart I was talking about. CarryDistanceSwingSpeedChart.jpg

I might be way off but my 3 wood is almost in the same line as my driver. So see if you are positioning your ball too much forward. Find out where the bottom of your swing is and your ball really should not be too much to the left of that bottom. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

113 swing speed says carry distance of 269. You stated your carry distance is 265…. So 4 yards less? That’s pretty damn close. 
Also you said you have Ventus Black 7x in driver and 3 wood, have you tried a Ventus black 6x in driver? That could give you a couple more mph in swing and more importantly ball speed.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero