2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Olympics Golf

Oneput

• Oneput changed the title to Olympics Golf
On 7/26/2021 at 2:02 PM, Oneput said:

After the thrilling Evian final round, I am looking forward to seeing the ladies (and men) Olympics golf!

A strong ladies field led by the Kordas, Saso, Minjee (Evian champ) and defending Gold Inbee Park just to name a few.

The final fields for the Olympics Golf = published here. (https://www.igfgolf.org/tokyo-2020-olympic-golf-rankings)

The Women's Final Field, updated on 22nd July 2021, is available for download here.

The Women's Reallocation Reserve List, , updated on 22nd July 2021, may be found here. <== I found this 'Reserve List' an interesting read ... e.g.  many folks have said the South Korean ladies Olympics qualifying = the most difficult/competitive ...

..SoYeon Ryu = the South Korean team's first alternate... 

..i will confess i didn't recognise the name "Min Park" as South Korea's 2nd alternate (16th on the Rolex Rankings & couldn't qualify for the Olympics! (six wins on the KLPGA tour in 2021!)

..Edit: Park MinJi won her SEVENTH KLGA tournament last weekend (July 25-ish)! Is anybody else aware of this phenom ranked amongst top16 in world , but isn’t playing on the LPGA?

Edited by JungleJimbo

The course looks great. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

8 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

It had better look great, it's the Olympics not the VOA. 😀

I sometimes watch the JLPGA on a stream...all the courses they play on the JLPGA are immaculate.

Golf is so expensive in Japan and S. Korea so they don't get the goofballs I see here at public courses....driving their carts all over the place, not replacing divots, fixing ball marks, raking bunkers, etc etc etc

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KBong said:

I sometimes watch the JLPGA on a stream...all the courses they play on the JLPGA are immaculate.

Golf is so expensive in Japan and S. Korea so they don't get the goofballs I see here at public courses....driving their carts all over the place, not replacing divots, fixing ball marks, raking bunkers, etc etc etc

I've played a couple times in S.K, never in Japan (still on my list) and another advantage is I'm pretty sure every round is played with caddies. The caddies even drive the carts...I played one course in SK where the clubs were on a rail system contraption down the side of each hole. Definitely strange...but point is the caddies are very diligent with course care, so yes big improvement- but as you said its very $$$$!

• Like 1

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

On the way to Mt Fuji, there's tons of driving ranges that seemingly were "etched" out/"carved out" of mountains -- needless to say, I tried one of them and ended up not heading to Mt Fuji that day LOL...   Stayed overnight on a resort/hotel and continued the drive/trek up the next day (2019 - pre-covid, at the same time when I saw Hinako win Anessa ☺︎....)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, KBong said:

???
Then why does everyone here b*tch about rds over 4 hrs?🤣

It's so rare here to golf/walk in under 4 hrs here...the courses are busy....twilight is cheap...so it's a popular time to play golf....tough to get tee times then.

Yeah, I dunno about a mid round lunch. I read an article years ago about a club in England. Sundays were called the day of thirds. They'd play a morning round (four ball) in 3 hours, have a three hour gourmet lunch, and then have a three hour afternoon round. Now, that's my idea of golf. 4+ hour rounds drive me nuts. When I played The Old Course at St Andrews, I took over 100 photos, and it was still 3:40. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I was surprised to learn that there are 2450 courses in Japan. I would have expected the number to be much lower. Japan is ~10% smaller than California. California has 921 courses. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

18 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

I have not been to Japan in about 8 years, so some things may have changed. However, Golf in Japan is still very much a social sport more than a recreational sport for the masses in that golf courses, because of the scarcity of land, are often built on mountains and up, off the valley floors.  Because of costs associated with such development and maintenance, they charge a significantly higher fee to play. 

To the best of my knowledge, and admittedly it is a bit dated now, there are little to no municipal courses in operation.  Golf for the masses occurs in driving ranges and indoor golf simulators.  As mentioned elsewhere by myself and others, these are not the practice ranges that we associate with Tin Cup, or even at most of our courses in North America.  It is in more "upscale" venues that the masses get to experience golf. 

As for the courses, Golf is very much used to entertain guests, dignataries and commemorate business relationships -- much more than it is in North America.  And that is where the mid-round lunch becomes important as does the "apres golf" and dinner.   To be sure, there are places that I visited that offered memberships and many fashionable young women play together, older men play with guests, etc.   These facilities are like 5-Star hotels with the level of service and hospitality provided inside.   Their bag drop off areas actually have people working them to unload your clubs, get your cart and equipment ready.  You get assigned a locker for the day, etc. 

When playing with a business guest or important guest, the guest never pays.  It would be an insult to your host.  What is unspoken, but expected, is to present your host with a nice gift - for example a bottle of their favourite higher end whisky, nicely wrapped in a box or gift bag.  When the host visits in return, the guest then has the duty to play host and the same treatment is reciprocated.    

In Japanese business culture it is very much an important way of establishing relationships and building trust.  As is said by P.G. Wodehouse: "To find a man's true character, play golf with him."  

So it is best to not act boorish, be on good behaviour, no smacking clubs in frustration, no F-Bombs, (they do understand that word), if anything, bring a large dose of self-deprecating humour and courtesy and you'll get along famously.  Once you become friends over time (it happens), then it becomes acceptable to be more open within your circle of friends. 

@Argonne69 . . . so my apologies for being a bit long here, but it is a bit challenging describing the Japanese golf experience.

To see and to do it,  is to believe! ☺︎  But yes, I have no affiliation with Japan, nor do I have any tinge of Japanese blood in me (as far as I know) yet the country and the people will continue to amaze me.  (Obvious already based on the history of my posts in golfwrx LOL).  

And confirming the host/guest experience too -- have both been a host and a guest (in Japan and a host to Japanese here in Canada, US, Singapore, etc).  My Japanese friends ALWAYS tell me that: "you return the favor when it's our/my turn to visit you"...  

Oh, addendum:  It is for this exact reason, why, Yuka Saso, decided to move to the Philippines to play golf and pursue it -- cheaper in Manila than it is in Japan - Yuka does not come from a rich family (middle class will not afford her the chance to play golf in Japan as much as she could do it in the Philippines).  Hence, why to ME (And only to me, for now) why it will be "Controversial yet completely understandable" if she decides to ditch the Philippines for Japan after the Olympics.  I can't blame her for that, but of course, it'll be "disappointing" 

Edited by HMHS
Addendum of Yuka
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

To see and to do it,  is to believe! ☺︎  But yes, I have no affiliation with Japan, nor do I have any tinge of Japanese blood in me (as far as I know) yet the country and the people will continue to amaze me.  (Obvious already based on the history of my posts in golfwrx LOL).  

And confirming the host/guest experience too -- have both been a host and a guest (in Japan and a host to Japanese here in Canada, US, Singapore, etc).  My Japanese friends ALWAYS tell me that: "you return the favor when it's our/my turn to visit you"...  

Oh, addendum:  It is for this exact reason, why, Yuka Saso, decided to move to the Philippines to play golf and pursue it -- cheaper in Manila than it is in Japan - Yuka does not come from a rich family (middle class will not afford her the chance to play golf in Japan as much as she could do it in the Philippines).  Hence, why to ME (And only to me, for now) why it will be "Controversial yet completely understandable" if she decides to ditch the Philippines for Japan after the Olympics.  I can't blame her for that, but of course, it'll be "disappointing" 

It is not just you ... unless you are referring to the people following this forum.  Otherwise as you know, it is still a much thought about topic in the Philippines -- though they are all cheering her and Bianca on this week for the Olympics.  

• Like 1

Just now, Golf Dino said:

It is not just you ... unless you are referring to the people following this forum.  Otherwise as you know, it is still a much thought about topic in the Philippines -- though they are all cheering her and Bianca on this week for the Olympics.  

Yes, I just want to make sure I am not inadvertently offending others who are not privy to the forum conversation (and even to those who are) - or to the Japanese in this forum who will stand to benefit from such a talent ☺︎   

16 hours ago, Supermilo said:

Thanks for the heads up - I originally thought the start was Wednesday night ET (like the men's).  Mustve been sleep deprivation LOL...

If the past 4 days are any indication, coffee makers should buy some airtime on the GC.     

For once with golf coverage, being in Oz is a win - early morning to late afternoon time for me.

Really looking forward to this, enjoyed the men's comp more than I expected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

It'll be interesting to see how Shanshan plays after taking her latest break. If the match play tournament was any indication, she'll quietly earn another medal. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

It'll be interesting to see how Shanshan plays after taking her latest break. If the match play tournament was any indication, she'll quietly earn another medal. Lol.

I know someone on this site who would freak out/HATE it if Jenny Money won.

Yup....no reason why Feng couldn't take down another medal.

But if I was to root for a fellow countrywoman...it would be Janet, Xiyu Lin.

Go China Go!

If they are allowed to have food deliveries in Japan (Olympic protocol restrictions???)....tons of GREAT food....I could see Jenny Money win because her LUV for food.

Inbee won in Rio...she had played infrequently in 2016 due to injury....I think many thought she might be near DFL because of her absence from golf.

3 minutes ago, KBong said:

Yup

The should have had the winners of the first three majors in the other group, Patty, Yuka, and Nelly.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

The should have had the winners of the first three majors in the other group, Patty, Yuka, and Nelly.

Or make an exception for a 4some.....Patty, Yuka, Nelly & Minjee....though the Evian is a FAKE major...ok...we'll stick with just a 3some🤣

I LUV Drama....and I can't think of any players to group where there would be tension....looks the the era of the "Mean Girls" is over.

Can you or others think of a group?

Too bad Salas didn't qualify...otherwise we could have a group called:

"SLOW MO"

Lydia, Brooke and Lizette all slow playing one another.

• Haha 1