The Olympics Men’s Golf 2020/21

MattyO1984

1 minute ago, hardcaliber said:

I believe Xander’s mom is from Taiwan or has Taiwanese heritage, so that’s a nice showing for the island nation. 

Ya, I think his grandparents are from there but then moved to Japan and his mom was raised in Japan. His grandparents still live in Japan and possible watched him win 🏅 

Also…

Xander’s father was a decathlete trying to make Germany’s Olympic team when

“Unfortunately, on his way to Olympic training, Stefan’s car was struck by a drunk driver, causing a multitude of injuries that included the loss of sight in his left eye. His Olympics chances dashed, a depressed Stefan turned to alcohol to cope with the pain.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/xander-schauffele-dad-olympics/amp

And now he is with his son to see him win a golf medal. 

• Like 2

Sepp Straka reminds me of a Hogan's Heroes character.

Or perhaps it's Get Smart? "Straka, we do not *shush* at Chaos!"

Good effort from him in this tournament.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Xander Schauffele will get $37,500 from the US Olympic Committee, as all gold medal winners do.

If CT Pan had won a gold, he would have gotten $640,000 from the Taiwan government. He'll get the equivalent of $179,000 for his bronze medal.

I can't find any information about Slovakia bonuses for medals. Sabbatini has no Slovakian ancestry, but his wife does. Her family has ties to the development of golf in Slovakia. He became a citizen in 2018 to qualify for the olympics. He would not have qualified if he had remained South African.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

30 minutes ago, mosesgolf said:

Much more important things in life than money especially when you already have a boatload of it.  Id rather show an Olympic Gold medal to my grandkids rather than..........So much goes with that Golf Medal.  Kudos to Xander on his first major. 😁 

It's a limited field of 60 ; not even the best of everyone......impressive but not enough to shout from the mountaintops.....

3 minutes ago, weakputt said:

R. Sabbatini is not my favorite golfer, but you have to hand it to him he played lights out in round four.

Did he miss a putt?

He did actually. I think he had 2 bogs when I fell alseep. He had a good chance at 59. Underrated short game with the wedge. I watched him showing Si Woo at a Waste Management practice round how he hits full swing flop shots. Si Woo was trying at knocking the teeth out of them almost killing Branden Grace on the other side. 

5 minutes ago, tiderider said:

lol ... yes you would ... 

Seriously.......I wouldn't........a major for golf? Yerp 

Just not into this contrived attempt...... you put the TOP players in the world (144+) ....let them battle.....60 ? With a smattering of top players.....meh

Edited by SwooshLT

Just finished watching what I recorded.  Woof. I thought Rory was going to take gold and ascend to world #1 there for a long time !  That is a scary world to think about.  

of course I’m Using the previous logic in this I thread that said that the best players in the US etc were here. And I’m talking about a Sabbatini.   So lots of dream land components.  Goodness.   I hate it for Hideki though.  If a few putts don’t burn the lip  and he doesn’t bogey the early par 5. It’s a different tune. But ifs and buts don’t get the win.  

Edited by bladehunter

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

15 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Just finished watching what I recorded.  Woof. I thought Rory was going to take gold and ascend to world #1 there for a long time !  That is a scary world to think about.  

of course I’m Using the previous logic in this I thread that said that the best players in the US etc were here. And I’m talking about a Sabbatini.   So lots of dream land components.  Goodness.   I hate it for Hideki though.  If a few putts don’t burn the lip  and he doesn’t bogey the early par 5. It’s a different tune. But ifs and buts don’t get the win.  

In this case, ifs and buts don’t even get the 3rd place. 

27 minutes ago, mosesgolf said:

ALL that matters is that it's an OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL.  Anything else is just blah blah blah. Xander is an Olympic Gold Medalist.  Clutch to make par to win from where he was.  CLUTCH.   Xander is King of the golf world right now.

Lol.....whatever turns your key......it's not the same and you know it

Happy for Xander but far from the king.....that's Morikawa.... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Medson said:

In this case, ifs and buts don’t even get the 3rd place. 

Yep. But it’s not the end of the world. He can put his green jacket on tonight and still feel far superior.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

i agree with this , and at the same time I personally believe that Xander’s potential is a Tick above colins.  Based on power/length and putting.  I’ve never seen anyone use the claw and be thought a great putter long term.  ( my opinion ).  I just love Xander’s swing.  It’s one of the most neutral on tour. He can hit it either way with very minor path changes.  Right now Colin is king of the hill.   I hope this one pushes Xander to close more often and see his potential 

• Thanks 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

Hmmm.  You know what I know?  😁 Morikawa was king couple weeks ago.  Xander is on top of the world now.  Major's are not the end all be all.  There's something about winning something for your country.  Only 2 people on planet earth that has a Olympic Gold Medal in golf.  Victor Hovland said it best.  If he won a major most folks in Norway wouldn't care.  If he brought home Olympic Gold the country would throw him a parade.  A major is personal glory an Olympic Gold Medal is for your country.  

• Like 4

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

12 minutes ago, tw_focus said:

Congrats to the X-Man!! USA now comfortably ahead of PRC in the medal race thanks to true champions who DO NOT QUIT like X.

Focus,

Be careful here. X may have very good reasons for what X did, and X is being really hurt by the way the media has portrayed it, and her own statements in the media.

IMO, X was really misused by the IOC, USOC, and X's sport Federation. X's coaches are also to blame. If what happened to X is true that is the fault of X's coaches, who should have seen this and did something about it before the games so an obviously burned out competitor had some time to mentally prepare for the games. Burned out/mentally worn down athletes act exactly like X did.

Also, the bureaucrats and media network involved used X to raise advertising $$$, media coverage, and get massive attention for the games. I would bet any amount of money that the responsibilities X had to deal with before the games was so heavy it would wear anyone down. X should have been hidden away somewhere to have a semi-normal life before these games, but melted in the hot lights of non-stop media attention. 

You can be darn sure if X was a CCP athlete they would have been so hidden nobody would have known their name until the Games.

Now to the important stuff; loved the course, loved the tournament, loved the finish, and it was a great day for golf. Now I can turn off the rest of the games until the women's tournament begins, except for possibly the wrestling tournament. The US has great teams this time around.  

1 hour ago, tw_focus said:

Congrats to the X-Man!! USA now comfortably ahead of PRC in the medal race thanks to true champions who DO NOT QUIT like X.

PRC has us in the gold race. Because if you’re not 1st, you’re last! 😂 

Silver and bronze are glorified participation trophies! Haha

And I can’t figure out who this “X” is you’re referring too… 🤔😜

image.jpeg.aa9de75f11c6a2ed1293611728206142.jpeg

Edited by TiScape

1 hour ago, TiScape said:

PRC has us in the gold race. Because if you’re not 1st, you’re last! 😂 

Silver and bronze are glorified participation trophies! Haha

And I can’t figure out who this “X” is you’re referring too… 🤔😜

To be clear, I was referring to Xander ("X") as a champion who did not quit. I was not directly referring to any other non-golf athlete. I edited my post to clarify.

BTW - USA may very well catch PRC in the gold medal count. We have many sports coming up like basketball that are extremely favorable to USA. Kind of off-topic here, but if USA wins the most medals AND most gold medals then PRC might as well disband their entire Olympic training organization, they will be completely demoralized and finished.

Edited by tw_focus

9 minutes ago, tw_focus said:

To be clear, I was referring to Xander ("X") as a champion who did not quit. I was not directly referring to any other non-golf athlete. I edited my post to clarify.

BTW - USA may very well catch PRC in the gold medal count. We have many sports coming up like basketball that are extremely favorable to USA. Kind of off-topic here, but if USA wins the most medals AND most gold medals then PRC might as well disband their entire Olympic training organization, they will be completely demoralized and finished.

Oh haha! Hopefully you can see why I misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying. 😊

*I actually like the post the way I originally read it. I keep talking 💩 about her quitting and my GF keeps reminding me that we don’t know what’s going on so cut her some slack… ugh, fine! But It’s a real head scratcher for sure. 

Edited by TiScape

17 minutes ago, tw_focus said:

Ya, but they the Tigerrrrr!

Of Sychro Diving ; )

D3CD30C3-F43E-44F0-8634-572A1BA507B3.jpeg

8 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Oh haha! Hopefully you can see why I misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying. 😊

*I actually like the post the way I originally read it. I keep talking 💩 about her quitting and my GF keeps reminding me that we don’t know what’s going on so cut her some slack… ugh, fine! But It’s a real head scratcher for sure. 

What it really comes down to in my opinion is an athlete with severe yips decided to shut it down, since yips in this particular sport look like they could potentially leave you in a wheel chair the rest of your life.  I think people are projecting a lot of external culture war nonsense onto something that really comes down to an issue of individual athletic performance.  Personally, I don't like the mental health angle because to me mental health means dealing with addiction or psychosis or something that is truly life altering beyond athletic performance.  Not sure if we are allowed to talk about this sensitive issue or not and its also kind of a thread jack but I couldn't resist.

• Like 1