Jump to content

The Olympics Men’s Golf 2020/21


MattyO1984
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, hardcaliber said:

 

What it really comes down to in my opinion is an athlete with severe yips decided to shut it down, since yips in this particular sport look like they could potentially leave you in a wheel chair the rest of your life.  I think people are projecting a lot of external culture war nonsense onto something that really comes down to an issue of individual athletic performance.  Personally, I don't like the mental health angle because to me mental health means dealing with addiction or psychosis or something that is truly life altering beyond athletic performance.  Not sure if we are allowed to talk about this sensitive issue or not and its also kind of a thread jack but I couldn't resist.

Probably not. Hence the DL tone 😉😉 
And it’s ok. It wouldn’t be a true GolfWRX thread without a thread jack! 😂 

Edited by TiScape
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, hardcaliber said:

Back to CT Pan, it looks like his wife is still on the bag?  I thought that was a short term gimmick but I guess he is sticking with it.  He must have the greatest marriage in the work if it can survive that...

Yes and no... She really does carry his bag from time to time... For the Olympics, he "smartly" wanted her to be on the bag to be able to bring along a family member as it's severely restricted for the games.   They stayed in the Athletes' village together (so in that sense it was some kind of a "workaround" for the Olympics).  

 

OTOH,  it's not a gimmick, as she does carry his bag on some PGA events too.  While I am not privy to his personal life, I know enough to see that yes, he has a great marriage... ☺︎   CT and Wei Ling Hsu (not surprisingly) are extremely popular in Taiwan, and CT even has a foundation that he established there.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Golf in Olympics is just plain boring since we get to see this 4-day tournament format every week!

 

Two ideas:

 

1. Qualifying Countries send a team of 4 and play 4-man best ball.  Let's see if the winning team can shoot 54.

 

2. Since we have a bunch of other events of who can throw a javelin or a disc or a ball as far as they can, then why not add Long Drive for Olympics.  Pretty much same principle.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

Golf in Olympics is just plain boring since we get to see this 4-day tournament format every week!

 

Two ideas:

 

1. Qualifying Countries send a team of 4 and play 4-man best ball.  Let's see if the winning team can shoot 54.

 

2. Since we have a bunch of other events of who can throw a javelin or a disc or a ball as far as they can, then why not add Long Drive for Olympics.  Pretty much same principle.

 

 


The original games were a celebration of the refinement of body and skill in the art of war!

 

Not some 19th hole long drive spectacle.

 

Then again, apparently, they are seriously discussing having darts in the next Olympic games ; )

 

 

14564A95-67F2-465D-B40F-9E5557B69D68.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mosesgolf said:

Hmmm.  You know what I know?  😁 Morikawa was king couple weeks ago.  Xander is on top of the world now.  Major's are not the end all be all.  There's something about winning something for your country.  Only 2 people on planet earth that has a Olympic Gold Medal in golf.  Victor Hovland said it best.  If he won a major most folks in Norway wouldn't care.  If he brought home Olympic Gold the country would throw him a parade.  A major is personal glory an Olympic Gold Medal is for your country.  

60 guys and what 30 countries or so? Such a pool of elitism......but you're right,  you win .....you can't see the forest with all the trees......I bow to your greatness of opinions......🙄

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

Golf in Olympics is just plain boring since we get to see this 4-day tournament format every week!

 

Two ideas:

 

1. Qualifying Countries send a team of 4 and play 4-man best ball.  Let's see if the winning team can shoot 54.

 

2. Since we have a bunch of other events of who can throw a javelin or a disc or a ball as far as they can, then why not add Long Drive for Olympics.  Pretty much same principle.

 

 

You forgot mini-putt. My 10yo niece could beat all y'all butts ... not to mention Olympic gold. lol

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Just finished watching what I recorded.  Woof. I thought Rory was going to take gold and ascend to world #1 there for a long time !  That is a scary world to think about.  
 

of course I’m Using the previous logic in this I thread that said that the best players in the US etc were here. And I’m talking about a Sabbatini.   So lots of dream land components.  Goodness.   I hate it for Hideki though.  If a few putts don’t burn the lip  and he doesn’t bogey the early par 5. It’s a different tune. But ifs and buts don’t get the win.  

According to your selection criteria, Xander wouldn't have even been invited.  I think the US sent the best of what they had available.  DJ and Koepka chose not to compete, Bryson was out with Covid.  Only player left off was Speith but Reed was higher on the rankings at time of selection.

 

As for Sabbatini, name a better golfer from Slovakia.  I don't buy his argument on changing citizenship to "grow the game" but they allowed it and he ended up with silver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Titleist84 said:

According to your selection criteria, Xander wouldn't have even been invited.  I think the US sent the best of what they had available.  DJ and Koepka chose not to compete, Bryson was out with Covid.  Only player left off was Speith but Reed was higher on the rankings at time of selection.

 

As for Sabbatini, name a better golfer from Slovakia.  I don't buy his argument on changing citizenship to "grow the game" but they allowed it and he ended up with silver.

Right.  The number 5-6 or worse ( guessing ) american won gold.  My point was that this is no major type event when you don’t have the best in it.  
 

it was a fun watch. I but would be better with ams.  My 2 cents. 

  • Like 4

TM Sim2 max 9* TB 70TX

TM 300 13.5* Tensei CK blue 80TX

TM Sim2 max 17hL MMT 70x 

Callaway  xforged UT 21 ventus blue 9x 

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125 TX 

Edel sms 54 58 MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Right.  The number 5-6 or worse ( guessing ) american won gold.  My point was that this is no major type event when you don’t have the best in it.  
 

it was a fun watch. I but would be better with ams.  My 2 cents. 


 

They gotta get TW into Paris 2024.

 

How you not gonna give him a shot to get an Olympic medal?

 

Make up an exemption like…

 

Anybody who got 15 majors or more gets in. Tiger and…Jack can tee it up if he wants.

 

TW like the Greek Titan Atlas yo!

 

Carried the sport on his shoulders for decades ; )



 

 

2CD6F128-DC01-40A4-A0A1-D21FB42A14A4.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

60 guys and what 30 countries or so? Such a pool of elitism......but you're right,  you win .....you can't see the forest with all the trees......I bow to your greatness of opinions......🙄

Must suck to be the He won, We won, They Won YEAH BUT guy. 

 

Forest is beautiful from top of the trees.  The view is breathtaking and nothing but clear skys.  I don't get how some folks all they see are gray clouds.  😂

Edited by mosesgolf

Ping G400 Max 9* Fujikura Tour Spec 7.2 Stiff
PING G425 17.5 Tour 75 Stiff
PING G410 20.5 7 Wood Tour 75 Stiff

PING G425 23.5 9 Wood Tour 75 Stiff
PING I210 5-PW DGS 120 Stiff
Ping Glide 50 54 

Ping Glide Pro 59*

Ping TYNE C Putter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:


 

They gotta get TW into Paris 2024.

 

How you not gonna give him a shot to get an Olympic medal?

 

Make up an exemption like…

 

Anybody who got 15 majors or more gets in. Tiger and…Jack can tee it up if he wants.

 

TW like the Greek Titan Atlas yo!

 

Carried the sport on his shoulders for decades ; )



 

 

2CD6F128-DC01-40A4-A0A1-D21FB42A14A4.jpeg

Agree with that.  He should get a shot just to say thanks.  I mean it won’t be the shadiest thing the Olympic committee has done , not  even in the last 3/4 years.  I mean they let the Russian team play under another name .  Some signal that sent.  🤣

  • Like 1

TM Sim2 max 9* TB 70TX

TM 300 13.5* Tensei CK blue 80TX

TM Sim2 max 17hL MMT 70x 

Callaway  xforged UT 21 ventus blue 9x 

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125 TX 

Edel sms 54 58 MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Agree with that.  He should get a shot just to say thanks.  I mean it won’t be the shadiest thing the Olympic committee has done , not  even in the last 3/4 years.  I mean they let the Russian team play under another name .  Some signal that sent.  🤣

Lol. In today's sympathy culture, they might as well just give him a gold medal for "almost participating". 

 

(not a knock on Tiger either.  He obviously would have one if he had the opportunity)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

Lol. In today's sympathy culture, they might as well just give him a gold medal for "almost participating". 

 

(not a knock on Tiger either.  He obviously would have one if he had the opportunity)

Hey. I’m cool with that.  An “ honorary doctorate “ kind of deal.  That’s about how much weight I put on the medals nowadays.  And this is Coming from a guy who Absolutely adores track and field.  And understands how this is the top of that sport.  

TM Sim2 max 9* TB 70TX

TM 300 13.5* Tensei CK blue 80TX

TM Sim2 max 17hL MMT 70x 

Callaway  xforged UT 21 ventus blue 9x 

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125 TX 

Edel sms 54 58 MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, bscinstnct said:


The original games were a celebration of the refinement of body and skill in the art of war!

 

Not some 19th hole long drive spectacle.

 

Then again, apparently, they are seriously discussing having darts in the next Olympic games ; )

 

 

14564A95-67F2-465D-B40F-9E5557B69D68.jpeg

 

Darts has gone downhill since the players stopped drinking beer in favour of water! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TS3 8.5*
Titleist 915Fd 15*
Titleist U510 1 Iron
Titleist T100 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2021

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My conclusion from watching the Golf - completely uninspiring.

 

Some big names but generally speaking a weak field compared to even big Tour events never mind the majors. Whilst having the chance to win a golf must be pretty cool, I can’t see how anyone could criticise the likes of DJ for not wanting to go. Bigger and better things for him to do that waste a week.

Titleist TS3 8.5*
Titleist 915Fd 15*
Titleist U510 1 Iron
Titleist T100 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2021

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MattyO1984 said:

My conclusion from watching the Golf - completely uninspiring.

 

Some big names but generally speaking a weak field compared to even big Tour events never mind the majors. Whilst having the chance to win a golf must be pretty cool, I can’t see how anyone could criticise the likes of DJ for not wanting to go. Bigger and better things for him to do that waste a week.

 

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way.

 

They're really trying ot push the positivity of this on PGAT Radio, which is not surprising of course, but even the most ardent supporters have to realize that golf simply doesn't fit in the Olympics.  From field size to strength of field, etc.  As others have pointed out, numerous PGA Tour events this year had a better SOF than this.  Im sure the travel and other restrictions had a part in it, but it was really no change from 5 years ago.

 

Unless something memorable happens in Paris in 2024, it should be scrapped altogether as an event.  It just doesn't move the needle with anyone except the media guys who have to pump it up because it's their job.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

My conclusion from watching the Golf - completely uninspiring.

 

Some big names but generally speaking a weak field compared to even big Tour events never mind the majors. Whilst having the chance to win a golf must be pretty cool, I can’t see how anyone could criticise the likes of DJ for not wanting to go. Bigger and better things for him to do that waste a week.

 

I wouldn't say it had the juice of a major but I was entertained by it much more than I would be a generic tour event.  I actually went into it with low expectations and didn't think I would watch much of it but ended up watching most of the coverage the final 2 rounds.  I understand the trepidation of the bigger names opting out the first two times that it has been back but I think there is potential for prestige to be built around Olympic golf.  Your two gold medal winners in 16/20(21) were Justin Rose/Xander Schauffele.  Both top 10 ranked at the time they won Gold so it's not like it's producing nothing winners, the cream rose.   

Edited by PhilsFanDrew
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations Xander, but;

 

it was on a bland course, which we will never see again. There were no spectators, so no atmosphere. Coverage was sketchy in amongst all other sports. Covid weakened an already weak field. The bronze medal playoff was the most exciting part. And silver went a guy who has won the World Cup representing another country.

 

Thankfully, we don't have to go through that again for another four  three years!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

 

I wouldn't say it had the juice of a major but I was entertained by it much more than I would be a generic tour event.  I actually went into it with low expectations and didn't think I would watch much of it but ended up watching most of the coverage the final 2 rounds.  I understand the trepidation of the bigger names opting out the first two times that it has been back but I think there is potential for prestige to be built around Olympic golf.  Your two gold medal winners in 16/20(21) were Justin Rose/Xander Schauffele.  Both top 10 ranked at the time they won Gold so it's not like it's producing nothing winners, the cream rose.   

 

That's pretty much my take as well. Didn't have high expectations, but ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. 

 

Plus, it was a pretty good finish, even before the 7-way playoff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Right.  The number 5-6 or worse ( guessing ) american won gold.  My point was that this is no major type event when you don’t have the best in it.  
 

it was a fun watch. I but would be better with ams.  My 2 cents. 

 

Tiger has not played in the last couple of majors.  Those not major-type events?

 

 

Regarding "fixing" what is broken with Olympic golf, I still think the idea that you keep it 72 holes stroke play, you somehow integrate the women and men on the course at the same time at least for the final round and have some sort of aggregate score team comp as well so that those who aren't in the running for top three are still involved are valid ways to "spice it up."

Edited by smashdn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Scootre said:

Guessing it's so everyone is guaranteed 4 rounds. No cut event. Why go halfway around the world for 2 rounds? 

 

Gee...it almost sounds like getting an invite for a golf trip to Pinehurst to play with some guys you really don't care for all that much.  Well...there are a bunch of golf courses there...the price is right...the place is so big I can avoid these guys without looking rude....OK, I'll go!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoy Olympics Golf thoroughly. I don’t know where to rank it along with tour events, but it is pretty much up there. 

 

My thought on including of golf in Olympics is really to grow the game internationally. In the U.S., we already have a pretty strong golf culture and vibrant golf activities. In order to grow golf, the next frontier is definitely not in the U.S. I don’t think including golf in Olympics alone will grow the game internationally, but it is probably one of multiple moves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, smashdn said:

 

Tiger has not played in the last couple of majors.  Those not major-type events?

 

 

Regarding "fixing" what is broken with Olympic golf, I still think the idea that you keep it 72 holes stroke play, you somehow integrate the women and men on the course at the same time at least for the final round and have some sort of aggregate score team comp as well so that those who aren't in the running for top three are still involved are valid ways to "spice it up."

I love golf. I love to watch golf on Tv. Which many don’t do.  Even though they play. I dvr almost everything golf. Men ,women ,ams and old folks.   It’s the the only spot I can stomach. Outside of college football.   
 

My point to that is.  This was flat.  Very much so.  Better than 2016.  That was unwatchable.  But this was just meh.  It lacked enough fireworks because of a lack of firepower.  It was watchable. But. Nothing ever happened.  Not remotely “ major like “ to this golf tv watcher guy.  . 

TM Sim2 max 9* TB 70TX

TM 300 13.5* Tensei CK blue 80TX

TM Sim2 max 17hL MMT 70x 

Callaway  xforged UT 21 ventus blue 9x 

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125 TX 

Edel sms 54 58 MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

I love golf. I love to watch golf on Tv. Which many don’t do.  Even though they play. I dvr almost everything golf. Men ,women ,ams and old folks.   It’s the the only spot I can stomach. Outside of college football.   
 

My point to that is.  This was flat.  Very much so.  Better than 2016.  That was unwatchable.  But this was just meh.  It lacked enough fireworks because of a lack of firepower.  It was watchable. But. Nothing ever happened.  Not remotely “ major like “ to this golf tv watcher guy.  . 


That’s just like, your opinion, man.

 

I really like the Olympic Golf. The bronze metal playoff was the cherry on the cake, I think.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks


×
×
  • Create New...