Jump to content

The Olympics Men’s Golf 2020/21


MattyO1984
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Olympic Committee should make a crazy competition instead of stroke play such as:

Five man teams with designated roles: 

  • A designated driver who can only tee off using the driver. In other words, a bomber.
  • Two players, who handle all tee shots not using driver and all shots not from the teeing ground. In other words, good iron and/or wedge players.
  • A putter. 
  • A Team Captain who decides the strategy for each hole and thus which player will be teeing off and playing from the fairway.

 

Edited by PJE

 "Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."
 "But what about my asthma?"
" I'll give you asthma."

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChillyDipper said:

Arguable, yes, but if I'm Patrick Reed I'm thinking how cool would it be to shut up all the haters by flying in at the last minute to replace Dechambeau and winning Gold for my country.  I'd say that's more pressure than having to par 18 to win at some regular Tour event.  He may even be wondering when, if ever, he will have another chance to complete in the Olympics.

Its his second Olympic Games, he's probably ok not making the next team...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can’t wait to see Reed get the gold.  Let the hate flow through you !!! 
 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

Titleist 915 FD 13.5 Rombax P95x 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, elwhippy said:

I sincerely hope the South Korean draft dodgers fall short and have to do national service like the rest of their countrymen. 

Who said they’re trying to dodge it?

 

Its an inevitable obstacle in their professional careers. 
 

If you want to point the finger you might as well put it on South Korea for implementing that clause 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 8:26 AM, MattyO1984 said:

 

It would be so much better as a team event. Greensomes, a two man scramble. Anything would be better than watching the same old, same old. 

 

I have no interest in college golf, but the NCAA championships format would work quite well.  Two days of individual stroke play, and those days also qualify teams for match play knockout round.

 

That might get some interest in the golf.  Other wise, I'm with the others.  No interest in this tournament. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Golf, basketball, tennis, hockey, and soccer should not allow pros to participate in the Olympics.  I have zero interest in watching these any longer.  I get that things have changed, and there are very few true amateur's any longer but as someone who remembers them as am's only, it was so much more interesting back then.  Now it's just the same stuff I see every week of the year.  Boring.  

 

Maybe they could make a 100K rule or  something, if you make more in your sport than that you can't participate.  

  • Like 1

Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-P
Vokey 50,54,58
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PJE said:

The Olympic Committee should make a crazy competition instead of stroke play such as:

Five man teams with designated roles: 

  • A designated driver who can only tee off using the driver. In other words, a bomber.
  • Two players, who handle all tee shots not using driver and all shots not from the teeing ground. In other words, good iron and/or wedge players.
  • A putter. 
  • A Team Captain who decides the strategy for each hole and thus which player will be teeing off and playing from the fairway.

 

Have you read the “New professional golf layout” thread… Didn’t go over so well 😜

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 5:26 AM, MattyO1984 said:

It would be so much better as a team event. Greensomes, a two man scramble. Anything would be better than watching the same old, same old. 

...big tubs of beer on every tee box, busty cart girls, jello shots, a golf ball cannon on the long par five. Who knew I was an Olympic-level athlete?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

Golf, basketball, tennis, hockey, and soccer should not allow pros to participate in the Olympics.  I have zero interest in watching these any longer.  I get that things have changed, and there are very few true amateur's any longer but as someone who remembers them as am's only, it was so much more interesting back then.  Now it's just the same stuff I see every week of the year.  Boring.  

 

Maybe they could make a 100K rule or  something, if you make more in your sport than that you can't participate.  

 

Ah yes, the days of USSR military officers who happened to compete in sports in their spare time.  They were as much amateurs as you and I are professionals.

 

Not to mention amateur was not about purity of sport, but about keeping poor people out of rich people's games.  Not sure why you would long for that.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TiScape said:

Have you read the “New professional golf layout” thread… Didn’t go over so well 😜

No, I didn't read it but putting that idea aside, how about match play over stroke play? Or two man alternate shot?

 "Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."
 "But what about my asthma?"
" I'll give you asthma."

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

Having lived on airplanes going back and forth to Japan, jet lag from the US to Japan is minimal. You leave in the late afternoon, sleep on the way and arrive late afternoon in Japan. You're good to go the next morning.

 

I've played the golf course a few times (Kasumigaseki Country Club).

 

Here are few fun rules for the course and golf in Japan in general (professional tournament players are exempt from many):

 

1. You must arrive at the clubhouse and check in wearing long pants, a jacket or blazer and leather dress shoes. No hats, no shorts, no golf shoes, no tennis shoes, no sandals. No kidding. You won't get in the door if you're a violator of the dress code. The member sponsoring you will have to held back from committing ritual suicide in the lobby to atone for your behavior and the unbearable embarrassment you have cloaked his family in for generations to come.

 

2. You change in the locker room. Everyone gets a locker in Japan. You can wear shorts, but you must wear knee-high socks. I'm not kidding. Stop laughing, This is serious stuff here.

 

3. You can get a riding cart... if you're over the age of 80. Otherwise, get your butt down to the starter and get ready to walk. The starter is actually called "The Master" in Japan.

 

4. There are two courses. They are "walking courses." Your caddie (a woman who may or many not be scary) will give you a form to sign validating the clubs in your bag. She will be pushing a cart with bags on it. She will give you your club on the tees, give and take other clubs en route to the green, bring your putter, mark you ball and clean your ball. Take your putter with you and give it to her on the next tee. Beware: when she cleans your ball, she will be using a generous amount of watery detergent that may reduce the spin from you driver on the next tee shot (wink wink).

 

5. Do not be alarmed when you make a putt. The bottom of the cup has a metal piece designed to sound like a bell when a ball in holed. Just go with it and don't giggle.

 

6. If you hit a wayward shot, the caddie will yell "Fore!!" Unfortunately, it will sound like "Faaaaaaaaaaaa!!!" since there is no sound in Japanese like "ore." Do not be alarmed. This tiny woman will create over 130 dBA of "Faaaaaaaaaaaa!!" A Boeing 737-800 at full take off power is quieter than a caddie.

 

7. You will stop for a mandatory 1 hour lunch. Good luck on the 10th tee. You'll be ready for a post-lunch nap by the 13th hole. Oh, and it's always referred to as Out Course and In Course.

 

8. During the summer, you are requested to change pants and shirt in the locker room before lunch to avoid leaving the chair wet with your nasty perspiration. You will need another change of clothing for after the round also...

 

OK, well, that's enough for now.

 

 

 

@Soloman1Thanks for the great post re Golf in Japan! 
 

saw this & thought of your comments re Japanese caddies 

 

Question: Does Kasumigaseki also have “double greens”? ⛳⛳

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by JungleJimbo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, golfortennis said:

 

I have no interest in college golf, but the NCAA championships format would work quite well.  Two days of individual stroke play, and those days also qualify teams for match play knockout round.

 

That might get some interest in the golf.  Other wise, I'm with the others.  No interest in this tournament. 

 

I think just have a few different events both team and individual with medals for each event. Swimming has tons of events both team and individual. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Soloman1Thanks for the great post re Golf in Japan! 
 

saw this & thought of your comments re Japanese caddies 

 

Question: Does Kasumigaseki also have “double greens”? ⛳⛳

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hey there, Jimbo,

 

Kasumigaseki doesn't have two greens, but good question! Many courses still have two greens, one is bent for the cooler seasons and the other korai for the hot, humid summer.

 

Japan (Kanto or where Tokyo is) has four seasons:

 

One month of cold weather (~ Feb).

One month of rainy season (tsuyu) when it rains about two out of three days (Mid June to Mid July).

One month of Jungle heat, like it is right now.

Nine months of road repair.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

Having lived on airplanes going back and forth to Japan, jet lag from the US to Japan is minimal. You leave in the late afternoon, sleep on the way and arrive late afternoon in Japan. You're good to go the next morning.

 

I've played the golf course a few times (Kasumigaseki Country Club).

 

Here are few fun rules for the course and golf in Japan in general (professional tournament players are exempt from many):

 

1. You must arrive at the clubhouse and check in wearing long pants, a jacket or blazer and leather dress shoes. No hats, no shorts, no golf shoes, no tennis shoes, no sandals. No kidding. You won't get in the door if you're a violator of the dress code. The member sponsoring you will have to held back from committing ritual suicide in the lobby to atone for your behavior and the unbearable embarrassment you have cloaked his family in for generations to come.

 

2. You change in the locker room. Everyone gets a locker in Japan. You can wear shorts, but you must wear knee-high socks. I'm not kidding. Stop laughing, This is serious stuff here.

 

3. You can get a riding cart... if you're over the age of 80. Otherwise, get your butt down to the starter and get ready to walk. The starter is actually called "The Master" in Japan.

 

4. There are two courses. They are "walking courses." Your caddie (a woman who may or many not be scary) will give you a form to sign validating the clubs in your bag. She will be pushing a cart with bags on it. She will give you your club on the tees, give and take other clubs en route to the green, bring your putter, mark you ball and clean your ball. Take your putter with you and give it to her on the next tee. Beware: when she cleans your ball, she will be using a generous amount of watery detergent that may reduce the spin from you driver on the next tee shot (wink wink).

 

5. Do not be alarmed when you make a putt. The bottom of the cup has a metal piece designed to sound like a bell when a ball in holed. Just go with it and don't giggle.

 

6. If you hit a wayward shot, the caddie will yell "Fore!!" Unfortunately, it will sound like "Faaaaaaaaaaaa!!!" since there is no sound in Japanese like "ore." Do not be alarmed. This tiny woman will create over 130 dBA of "Faaaaaaaaaaaa!!" A Boeing 737-800 at full take off power is quieter than a caddie.

 

7. You will stop for a mandatory 1 hour lunch. Good luck on the 10th tee. You'll be ready for a post-lunch nap by the 13th hole. Oh, and it's always referred to as Out Course and In Course.

 

8. During the summer, you are requested to change pants and shirt in the locker room before lunch to avoid leaving the chair wet with your nasty perspiration. You will need another change of clothing for after the round also...

 

OK, well, that's enough for now.

 

 

 

Honestly it sounds so painful I doubt I could ever play there more than once. Just once to satisfy my curiousness. 😉

Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-P
Vokey 50,54,58
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Japanese word for patience is gaman. Everything about Japan is about gaman. Western thinking is that life is to be enjoyed. In Japan, many think it's to be endured...

 

It also depends what you're used to.

 

Some people in North America would go ballistic if they had to pay about $500 to get a "license" before they could play golf like in Germany.

 

"I'd like to play golf."

"Do you have a license?"

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Having lived on airplanes going back and forth to Japan, jet lag from the US to Japan is minimal. You leave in the late afternoon, sleep on the way and arrive late afternoon in Japan. You're good to go the next morning.

 

I've played the golf course a few times (Kasumigaseki Country Club).

 

Here are few fun rules for the course and golf in Japan in general (professional tournament players are exempt from many):

 

1. You must arrive at the clubhouse and check in wearing long pants, a jacket or blazer and leather dress shoes. No hats, no shorts, no golf shoes, no tennis shoes, no sandals. No kidding. You won't get in the door if you're a violator of the dress code. The member sponsoring you will have to held back from committing ritual suicide in the lobby to atone for your behavior and the unbearable embarrassment you have cloaked his family in for generations to come.

 

2. You change in the locker room. Everyone gets a locker in Japan. You can wear shorts, but you must wear knee-high socks. I'm not kidding. Stop laughing, This is serious stuff here.

 

3. You can get a riding cart... if you're over the age of 80. Otherwise, get your butt down to the starter and get ready to walk. The starter is actually called "The Master" in Japan.

 

4. There are two courses. They are "walking courses." Your caddie (a woman who may or many not be scary) will give you a form to sign validating the clubs in your bag. She will be pushing a cart with bags on it. She will give you your club on the tees, give and take other clubs en route to the green, bring your putter, mark you ball and clean your ball. Take your putter with you and give it to her on the next tee. Beware: when she cleans your ball, she will be using a generous amount of watery detergent that may reduce the spin from you driver on the next tee shot (wink wink).

 

5. Do not be alarmed when you make a putt. The bottom of the cup has a metal piece designed to sound like a bell when a ball in holed. Just go with it and don't giggle.

 

6. If you hit a wayward shot, the caddie will yell "Fore!!" Unfortunately, it will sound like "Faaaaaaaaaaaa!!!" since there is no sound in Japanese like "ore." Do not be alarmed. This tiny woman will create over 130 dBA of "Faaaaaaaaaaaa!!" A Boeing 737-800 at full take off power is quieter than a caddie.

 

7. You will stop for a mandatory 1 hour lunch. Good luck on the 10th tee. You'll be ready for a post-lunch nap by the 13th hole. Oh, and it's always referred to as Out Course and In Course.

 

8. During the summer, you are requested to change pants and shirt in the locker room before lunch to avoid leaving the chair wet with your nasty perspiration. You will need another change of clothing for after the round also...

 

OK, well, that's enough for now.

 

 

 

no massage between 9s?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, elwhippy said:

I sincerely hope the South Korean draft dodgers fall short and have to do national service like the rest of their countrymen. 

Every athlete that wins an Olympic (ANY) METAL is relieved of draft duties and gets to forgo the 2yrs mandatory service.  If you were in their shoes you'd want/do the same thing so please stop with the greater than thou nonsense.   The same goes for the Asian games.  A couple of current South Korean PGA Tour players won gold at the Asian Games so they got free pass too.  It's not being a "draft dodger".  It's called bringing honor to the country so the country rewards the athletes that DO.

  • Like 4

Ping G425 MAX 9 Ventus Blue 6 x
PING G425 17.5 Tour 75 Stiff
PING G410 20.5 7 Wood Tour 75 Stiff

PING G425 23.5 9 Wood Tour 75 Stiff
PING IBlade 5-PW DGS300 Stiff
Ping Glide 50 54 56

Ping Anser

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, mosesgolf said:

Every athlete that wins an Olympic (ANY) METAL is relieved of draft duties and gets to forgo the 2yrs mandatory service.  If you were in their shoes you'd want/do the same thing so please stop with the greater than thou nonsense.   The same goes for the Asian games.  A couple of current South Korean PGA Tour players won gold at the Asian Games so they got free pass too.  It's not being a "draft dodger".  It's called bringing honor to the country so the country rewards the athletes that DO.

also not draft dodging because the government/people have allowed it ... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, tiderider said:

also not draft dodging because the government/people have allowed it ... 

Yes sir.  Sang Moon Bae was top 30 in the World Golf Rankings when he had to go serve his 2 years.  No special treatment for anyone except for the allowed exclusions. 

Ping G425 MAX 9 Ventus Blue 6 x
PING G425 17.5 Tour 75 Stiff
PING G410 20.5 7 Wood Tour 75 Stiff

PING G425 23.5 9 Wood Tour 75 Stiff
PING IBlade 5-PW DGS300 Stiff
Ping Glide 50 54 56

Ping Anser

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Kasumigaseki doesn't have two greens, but good question! Many courses still have two greens, one is bent for the cooler seasons and the other korai for the hot, humid summer.

At one time the East Course did have two greens on each hole. When the course was renovated beginning in 2016 they did away with one of the greens. Their West Course at one time had dual greens are well. They were also done away with.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Having lived on airplanes going back and forth to Japan, jet lag from the US to Japan is minimal. You leave in the late afternoon, sleep on the way and arrive late afternoon in Japan. You're good to go the next morning.

 

I've played the golf course a few times (Kasumigaseki Country Club).

 

Here are few fun rules for the course and golf in Japan in general (professional tournament players are exempt from many):

 

1. You must arrive at the clubhouse and check in wearing long pants, a jacket or blazer and leather dress shoes. No hats, no shorts, no golf shoes, no tennis shoes, no sandals. No kidding. You won't get in the door if you're a violator of the dress code. The member sponsoring you will have to held back from committing ritual suicide in the lobby to atone for your behavior and the unbearable embarrassment you have cloaked his family in for generations to come.

 

2. You change in the locker room. Everyone gets a locker in Japan. You can wear shorts, but you must wear knee-high socks. I'm not kidding. Stop laughing, This is serious stuff here.

 

3. You can get a riding cart... if you're over the age of 80. Otherwise, get your butt down to the starter and get ready to walk. The starter is actually called "The Master" in Japan.

 

4. There are two courses. They are "walking courses." Your caddie (a woman who may or many not be scary) will give you a form to sign validating the clubs in your bag. She will be pushing a cart with bags on it. She will give you your club on the tees, give and take other clubs en route to the green, bring your putter, mark you ball and clean your ball. Take your putter with you and give it to her on the next tee. Beware: when she cleans your ball, she will be using a generous amount of watery detergent that may reduce the spin from you driver on the next tee shot (wink wink).

 

5. Do not be alarmed when you make a putt. The bottom of the cup has a metal piece designed to sound like a bell when a ball in holed. Just go with it and don't giggle.

 

6. If you hit a wayward shot, the caddie will yell "Fore!!" Unfortunately, it will sound like "Faaaaaaaaaaaa!!!" since there is no sound in Japanese like "ore." Do not be alarmed. This tiny woman will create over 130 dBA of "Faaaaaaaaaaaa!!" A Boeing 737-800 at full take off power is quieter than a caddie.

 

7. You will stop for a mandatory 1 hour lunch. Good luck on the 10th tee. You'll be ready for a post-lunch nap by the 13th hole. Oh, and it's always referred to as Out Course and In Course.

 

8. During the summer, you are requested to change pants and shirt in the locker room before lunch to avoid leaving the chair wet with your nasty perspiration. You will need another change of clothing for after the round also...

 

OK, well, that's enough for now.

 

 

 

In reading this and wondering if I’m not somehow Japanese ?  I mean this is ringing a lot of bells.  I mean a lot. 
 

( no offense meant to anyone , I’m just saying that I’m also this particular ). 

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

Titleist 915 FD 13.5 Rombax P95x 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 Fortinet Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #8
       
       
      New Ping putter - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      New Bettinardi putters & Cover - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Ping Putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Cameron putter and new ball marker - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
      Sneds - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Peter Uihlein - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Charles Howell, III - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Scott Piercy - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Brandan Steele - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Mito Pereira - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Kevin Tway - WITB -2021 Fortinet Championship
      Joseph Bramlett - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
       
      • 19 replies
    • 2021 Tour Championship - Discussion and Comments
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Tour Championship
      LA Golf putter shafts - 2021 Tour Championship
       
       
       
      • 25 replies
    • 2021 BMW Championship - Discussion and Links
      Put any questions of comments here
       
       
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #7
       
       
      Cameron T-11 & T-11.5 putters at 2021 BMW Championship
      Mizuno Pro FliHi and 225 irons - 2021 BMW CHampionship
       
       
       
      • 18 replies
    • 2021 Ping i59 irons & Glide Forged wedges in hand comparison pics!!!
      In hand pics of the new 2021 Ping i59 irons and Glide Forged wedges...
       

       
      Ping i59 7 iron
       

       
       
      Ping i59 PW
       

       
      Ping i59 Comparison Photos

       

       

       

       
       
       
       
      PING Glide Forged Wedges

       
      Ping Glide Eye Toe Wedge
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 100 replies
    • 2021 The Northern Trust - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #1
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #2
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #3
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #4
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #5
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #6
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #7
       
       
      New Cameron for JT - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Cameron putters for Garrick Higgo - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Odyssey putter covers - 2021 The Northern Trust
       
       
      • 6 replies

×
×
  • Create New...