The Olympics Men’s Golf 2020/21

MattyO1984

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

So I went searching for an actual leaderboard which should have taken 15 seconds not 60 (I want my golf now!) and finally found on on Golf Channel's website - my only takeaway is that I noticed GC also lists the betting odds for each Olympic player - yuck! 

Tried to stay up and watch but Rory and Morikawa and Thomas seemed stalled out (did see P. Reed make a magical sand shot), can't figure out what I think about the course they were on, seemed like a putting contest and I fell asleep.  I'll try to get into it more tonight maybe.

PGA Tour app has the leaderboard on the main page. 

I just got through reading an article about running the men's and women's event concurrently on the course but off of different nines and using a best three out of four scores for a team score.  The rationale was that you get more of a team feel, if you individually aren't in the hunt for a medal you still have skin in the game, and finally, it is different than 72 hole stroke play that we see week in and week out.

I think they are going to want to tweak it in order to keep golf attractive to the players to be a part of and subsequently attractive to viewers to keep it in the olympics.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smashdn said:

I just got through reading an article about running the men's and women's event concurrently on the course but off of different nines and using a best three out of four scores for a team score.  The rationale was that you get more of a team feel, if you individually aren't in the hunt for a medal you still have skin in the game, and finally, it is different than 72 hole stroke play that we see week in and week out.

I think they are going to want to tweak it in order to keep golf attractive to the players to be a part of and subsequently attractive to viewers to keep it in the olympics.

No thanks. I don’t think anyone wants to see a mixed team event. 

If you want more of a team feel then just do 2 man best ball. If a country like the US has 4 guys (like they will until the end of time most likely) then split them into Team 1 and Team 2. You could also probably expand the field to 40 teams so 80 players to give more countries with a top player exposure. 

22 minutes ago, smashdn said:

I enjoyed the article. There are plenty of 72 hole stroke play events. This lets the olympics keep that tradition while adding a twist and a team concept to the sport. 

drn92

39 minutes ago, ilikegolf26 said:

Everything’s for money in sports now. Tradition or the actual product on the field doesn’t matter anymore.  Look how they have destroyed college football with NIL and potential conference realignment.

D1 college football may as well jut break away from NCAA/School and farm for the NFL.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Something needs to be tweaked about it. It just seem like a regular tour event the way it is now. 

If they're going to keep Pros, maybe cut it in half, half pros half amateur's and have them play as a team. The Pros are already playing against these guys week in, week out but I think it would really mean something to the amateurs that don't normally get recognize with tv time 

56 minutes ago, stanger37 said:

Received a lot of texts about Rory "looking weird without a hat on" 

I assume maybe he just likes playing without one because he does it in the Ryder Cup too...is he just contracted to wear a Nike hat for PGA events? 

I made that remark myself, but more in the context of the brutal summer heat and humidity in Japan in the summer. At least it's like that in Tokyo...maybe it's not so bad in Saitama...

57 minutes ago, ilikegolf26 said:

No thanks. I don’t think anyone wants to see a mixed team event. 

It isn't.  The article proposed it to still be a 72 hole stroke event where the men and women were on the course at the same time, but not playing together.  Men off the front, women off the back.  Each plays for individual medals but to keep the individual who is definitely not going to medal interested in still actually playing, you make it so their score is potentially part of an aggregate team score for a team medal.

So from an optics standpoint it wouldn't be a mixed team but everyone playing's score would potentially count.

*I wasn't sure what the rules were on posting articles not from golfwrx so I didn't initially.  Here it is. 

https://golf.com/news/olympics-golf-format-all-wrong-easy-solution/

Mods can delete it if it breaks a rule.

Edited by smashdn
added article hyperlink
  • Like 1

I like the idea of split event.  Meaning 36-hole stroke play for individual honors.  Then a 36-hole team event, one day being alternate shot, one day being best ball.  I think team events are fun to watch, and can produce some upsets.

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+ (Bassara W45)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Mizuno T-zoid Fli-Hi 21* (Adams Ultralight 50g Ladies)

Bridgestone J33 Forged 4-PW  (Reax 55 A-Flex)

Cleveland CBX Full Face 64*

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

On 7/27/2021 at 3:39 PM, golfortennis said:

I have no interest in college golf, but the NCAA championships format would work quite well.  Two days of individual stroke play, and those days also qualify teams for match play knockout round.

That might get some interest in the golf.  Other wise, I'm with the others.  No interest in this tournament. 

How many players on a team?  4?  How would that work for countries without more than a few really good players?

Take golf out of the Olympics.

• Sad 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

13 hours ago, m d g said:

Looks odd to see Rory without a hat. It's hot and humid as hell there in July...many of the Japanese men I played with used umbrellas as did the caddies.

HE's working on his forehead tan.

• Haha 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

2 hours ago, stanger37 said:

Received a lot of texts about Rory "looking weird without a hat on" 

I assume maybe he just likes playing without one because he does it in the Ryder Cup too...is he just contracted to wear a Nike hat for PGA events? 

1 hour ago, m d g said:

I made that remark myself, but more in the context of the brutal summer heat and humidity in Japan in the summer. At least it's like that in Tokyo...maybe it's not so bad in Saitama...

I've cracked the case gentlemen:

image.png.ae5de581a0fc479d01202aa619b06ae0.png

-Go Cougs, P.I.

Honestly, the thing that has surprised me most about this thread is how many people that think the Olympics should be for amateurs alone. That ship sailed decades ago. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

27 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

Honestly, the thing that has surprised me most about this thread is how many people that think the Olympics should be for amateurs alone. That ship sailed decades ago. 

Agreed, the Olympics are about identifying the best athletes on the planet every four years. How they "pay the bills" should not matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gvogel said:

How many players on a team?  4?  How would that work for countries without more than a few really good players?

Take golf out of the Olympics.

While I agree with the last sentence, if we are trying to make lemonade, I think the team format could work.

Define "really good players"?  Track athletes go that have no chance at making finals.  Not to mention there are a lot of pros who are really good players.  The only constraint would be the fact a golf course can only handle so many players.  But you could easily do a two course system if there are that many.

Of course this is all if they really want to have golf be what they claim, which I don't believe.  This was only ever done because the IOC thought they could leetch off the Tiger Woods gravy train. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jt2gt said:

Seems like something Bryson would say, but the other way around....my head is too big for just regular ole non custom hats. 🤣

Me too. I wear a xxl or 7 3/4 to 8 in a fitted hat. You can’t find that size anywhere. No regular snap back fits. Even in the last hole.  Branded bills and under armour are The only two companies I can find for fitted hats that are xxL.  I can’t wear any others.  So I feel Rory’s pain , although find it impossible to believe that a small is too big ?? Wow. I guess. But that’s a tiny head.  

Edited by bladehunter

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, Go Cougs said:

I've cracked the case gentlemen:

image.png.ae5de581a0fc479d01202aa619b06ae0.png

-Go Cougs, P.I.

Like how tiny is his head that a normal snapback won't fit him. Perhaps when its cinched down that much it looks like s*** and Nike and he aren't cool with that. Sounds like a problem that shouldn't be a problem but that's just me...

Driver: Srixon ZX7 Tensei CK Pro Orange 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist TSi3 (15*) Graphite Design Tour AD TSG 75X

Driving Iron: Srixon ZX Utility 2 (18*) Modus3 105 X

Irons: Srixon ZX7 Modus3 105 X (4-PW)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 52, 56, 60 S400

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S Stroke Lab

48 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Me too. I wear a xxl or 7 3/4 to 8 in a fitted hat. You can’t find that size anywhere. No regular snap back fits. Even in the last hole.  Branded bills and under armour are The only two companies I can find for fitted hats that are xxL.  I can’t wear any others.  So I feel Rory’s pain , although find it impossible to believe that a small is too big ?? Wow. I guess. But that’s a tiny head.  

Bladehunter,

I have the same problem,  Titleist also makes hats for people our size. I got mine from Carl's Golfland last December. Hope that helps.

BTW, I like the format as it is, but if someone wants to change it, fine with me.

Edited by jkumpire
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jkumpire said:

Bladehunter,

I have the same problem, and Titleist also makes hats for people out size. I got mine from Carl's Golfland last December. Hope that helps.

BTW, I like the format as it is, but if someone wants to change it, fine with me.

Yep. You are correct. The do have an xxl , I had forgot that.  Although whne I went shopping last year I couldn’t  find any in stock , I hadn’t ever worn a hat until last year.  For this reason.

I’ll try Carl’s , I’ve worn out a couple under armour completely out and I get made fun of for wearing only that brand. As if I am sponsored by them. Guys don’t want to believe that it’s not by choice. Lol. Thanks ! 

Edited by bladehunter

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

Plenty of ships have sailed over the centuries. That doesn't mean they were all good ships.

Not all decisions are good decisions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

On 7/27/2021 at 5:11 PM, golfortennis said:

Ah yes, the days of USSR military officers who happened to compete in sports in their spare time.  They were as much amateurs as you and I are professionals.

Not to mention amateur was not about purity of sport, but about keeping poor people out of rich people's games.  Not sure why you would long for that.

LOL, I guess they all use PED's now huh?  

To me the Olympics used to be about the sports you rarely see once every 4 years.  Now it's a lot of the same people in a different place.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

19 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Plenty of ships have sailed over the centuries. That doesn't mean they were all good ships.

Not all decisions are good decisions.

What I love is how people think 1992 was the first time basketball professionals were in the Olympics.  NBA players weren't allowed, but professionals most certainly were.  But apparently in some people's minds, just because guys got paid in other countries, that didn't make them professional.

• Like 1