The Olympics Men’s Golf 2020/21

MattyO1984

2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

My man, Udayan be like +5 and in last place but that’s ok because 

Hes an Olympian!

And you’re not.

🤣

It’s ok to talk to ourselves in private.  But when we start doing it in public , and even worse in text form.... Well. We’re maybe 🤔 letting us get  into our own heads a little much.  😂

• Haha 1

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

Titleist 915 FD 13.5 Rombax P95x 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

8 hours ago, m d g said:

I find it hard to believe that Nike couldn't design and manufacture a custom hat knowing about the schedule months in advance.

What's the point of paying all those Chinese 'workers' two dollars a day if they can't make it happen?

Obviously Nike could make a custom hat for Rory, or he could wear one of the dozens he must already have. But the IOC requires athletes to wear their team uniform, including hats. That why you see USA hats on Morikawa, Reed, and Zander. Since Nike is not a supplier to the Irish team they could not make a hat with the team logo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dalehead said:

Obviously Nike could make a custom hat for Rory, or he could wear one of the dozens he must already have. But the IOC requires athletes to wear their team uniform, including hats. That why you see USA hats on Morikawa, Reed, and Zander. Since Nike is not a supplier to the Irish team they could not make a hat with the team logo.

First of all you can bet the clothes are manufactured to the players specs....no reason the hats would not be done the same way. 

• Like 1

Rory makes the game much harder than it needs to be with his level of skill. 99 yards to the pin, slope to the left that will bring the ball back to the hole, he hits in short and spins off the green ... Morikawa hits it to the right spot and has a short  putt  This repeats over and over .. yet Rory still shot 66 ... what it could have been

Edited by WhostherealSlimShady

16 hours ago, smashdn said:

I just got through reading an article about running the men's and women's event concurrently on the course but off of different nines and using a best three out of four scores for a team score.  The rationale was that you get more of a team feel, if you individually aren't in the hunt for a medal you still have skin in the game, and finally, it is different than 72 hole stroke play that we see week in and week out.

I think they are going to want to tweak it in order to keep golf attractive to the players to be a part of and subsequently attractive to viewers to keep it in the olympics.

The problem with different formats is that the result wouldn't then be recognized by golf's governing bodies. Taking your example of a 4 man team, do you then give all four gold medalists an invite to The Masters?

If golf had been in the Olympics twenty years ago, the US team could have been Tiger, Duval, Mickelson & Charles Barkley and they'd still have won gold. Conversely, Vijay Singh wouldn't have stood a chance.

45 minutes ago, KennyP said:

But it isn't though. If that were the case, the field would have been the top 50 or 100 in the world rankings, irrespective of nationality. 

Yeah, some people don't realise that in almost every Olympic sport, it isn't the top 50 or 100 best athletes in the world. Because if that was the case, then America would have lots of sprinters replacing smaller countries, Kenya and Ethiopia would have lots of long distance runners etc. Dominant nations in a sport could have up to 20 to 25 athletes present. US would field 5 or 6 basketball teams. That's not how it works or ever has, the limits on the number of participants per team is quality over quantity and gives the Games a more international feel than it would otherwise. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dave230 said:

Yeah, some people don't realise that in almost every Olympic sport, it isn't the top 50 or 100 best athletes in the world. Because if that was the case, then America would have lots of sprinters replacing smaller countries, Kenya and Ethiopia would have lots of long distance runners etc. Dominant nations in a sport could have up to 20 to 25 athletes present. US would field 5 or 6 basketball teams. That's not how it works or ever has, the limits on the number of participants per team is quality over quantity and gives the Games a more international feel than it would otherwise. 

I guess I should have explained further but thought this went without saying, the Olympics are about identifying the best athletes by country every four years. My point was we should include both professionals and amateurs.  Limiting it to only amateurs waters it down.

35 minutes ago, Titleist84 said:

I guess I should have explained further but thought this went without saying, the Olympics are about identifying the best athletes by country every four years. My point was we should include both professionals and amateurs.  Limiting it to only amateurs waters it down.

The US has never sent its best golfers to the Olympics.  Not in 2016.  Not this year.  Of course, this goes without saying.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

I want to know if the logo on the Italian cap is of two naked women sitting  back to back to form the letter "m" ?

I see that singular on 18 wheeler mud flaps driving down the turnpike. 

I was cracking up at how ridiculous those Italian kits look. The trucker flap girls are hilarious. 

6 hours ago, KennyP said:

The problem with different formats is that the result wouldn't then be recognized by golf's governing bodies. Taking your example of a 4 man team, do you then give all four gold medalists an invite to The Masters?

If golf had been in the Olympics twenty years ago, the US team could have been Tiger, Duval, Mickelson & Charles Barkley and they'd still have won gold. Conversely, Vijay Singh wouldn't have stood a chance.

37 minutes ago, JohnnyCashForever said:

The US has never sent its best golfers to the Olympics.  Not in 2016.  Not this year.  Of course, this goes without saying.

What's your criteria for "best golfers"?  I'm looking at the world golf ranking when they selected the golfers:

2) Johnson chose not to compete

3) Thomas

4) Morikawa

5) Schauffele

6) Dechambeau out with Covid

7)  Cantlay can't find an article but assuming he chose not to compete

8 Koepka chose not to compete

9) Reed

Edited by Titleist84
Typo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Titleist84 said:

What's your criteria for "best golfers"?  I'm looking at the world golf ranking when they selected the golfers:

2) Johnson chose not to compete

3) Thomas

4) Morikawa

5) Schauffele

6) Dechambeau out with Covid

7)  Cantlay can't find an article but assuming he chose not to compete

8 Koepka chose not to compete

9) Reed

Conspiracy theory:  Morikawa and Schaufele are playing because they could see some endorsement money/appearance fee potential from Japan.  Thomas is playing because anything that will help him rehab his image after Hawaii is good.  Reed, well, anything helps.

But it's amazing how many people think athletes should compete in something just because a bunch of suits decided it would be part of a program.  Add in the fact that doing it for free, er, I mean, "doing it for your country" and it becomes "duty" in some people's minds.   

• Confused 1

The coverage in the UK has been appalling. Honestly, literally no point in even trying to watch it on the BBC. No chance that they will cover it anywhere near the way it should be with the athletics kicked off now either.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2021

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

Penny for the thoughts of Sunjae Im, +1 through two rounds. No chance that he is going to be given a free pass form military service with that kind of plays. Si Woo Kim is sitting slightly better at -3.

Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2021

1 hour ago, JohnnyCashForever said:

Very much a true statement 

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

Titleist 915 FD 13.5 Rombax P95x 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

8 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

Penny for the thoughts of Sunjae Im, +1 through two rounds. No chance that he is going to be given a free pass form military service with that kind of plays. Si Woo Kim is sitting slightly better at -3.

Oh is Sunjae due his national service is he, poor guy, dont know any golfer who has done that and still been at the same level when they returned

Driver: :taylormade-small: Sim2 MAX 9*

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Sim MAX 15*

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: SLDR 17*

Hybrid Iron: :adams-small:  DHY 21*

Irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX-921 Hot metal pro 5-GW

Wedges:   :mizuno-small: ES-21 54* & 58*

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  1W S black

13 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

The coverage in the UK has been appalling. Honestly, literally no point in even trying to watch it on the BBC. No chance that they will cover it anywhere near the way it should be with the athletics kicked off now either.

I’ve heard that, shocking and frustrating. There was no golf on Irish TV the first day but this morning they showed the end of McIlroy and Lowry’s rounds live which was nice. Imagine they will show it at the weekend as it’s a good medal chance for us.

4 minutes ago, Superbrit said:

Oh is Sunjae due his national service is he, poor guy, dont know any golfer who has done that and still been at the same level when they returned

He has a little more time to play with that Si Woo Kim, I think this is basically Kim’s last chance at getting a medal to be able to bypass it. I think Sunjae will have another Olympics at least.

Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2021