I'm torn between Cascata and The Wynn Golf Club for my Vegas trip next week

So I'm staying at the Encore at Wynn. My buddy has played all the courses in Vegas including shadow many times. Cascata looks amazing, but I hear the newly renovated Wynn course is top notch. And with green fees at only $250 as opposed to $350 at Cascata I'm seriously considering trying the Wynn. The pros would be no travel as I'm staying on property. But I would love to hear from anyone who's played both and just get some opinions/advice.

Just now, bjenn4242 said:

So I'm staying at the Encore at Wynn. My buddy has played all the courses in Vegas including shadow many times. Cascata looks amazing, but I hear the newly renovated Wynn course is top notch. And with green fees at only $250 as opposed to $350 at Cascata I'm seriously considering trying the Wynn. The pros would be no travel as I'm staying on property. But I would love to hear from anyone who's played both and just get some opinions/advice.

I should mention, my buddy loved Cascata but said he would choose the Wynn over it. So any input would be greatย 

My take:ย  Cascata is not "amazing".ย  It is a good course in a cool setting.ย  I think the clubhouse/environment/facilities are average and the service is average too.ย  It is 2-3x overpriced.

ย 

For the advantages you noted (cost, distance, renos), I would suggest Wynn.ย ย 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 11:51 AM, puttnforthe8 said:

My take:ย  Cascata is not "amazing".ย  It is a good course in a cool setting.ย  I think the clubhouse/environment/facilities are average and the service is average too.ย  It is 2-3x overpriced.

ย 

I appreciate the response man. Definitely chose Wynn. I also had a supreme golf gift card so I was able to get an 8am tee time for 250$. Seemed like a no brainer

• Like 1

Sorry guys! I just got back from my 12 day long work trip in Vegas and was swamped.ย 
ย 

Wynn was honestly fantastic! Amazing conditions, great caddies, affordable price and a fun layout. The fazio re design is great. It's not overly challenging but you can get into trouble here and there. Your biggest struggles will be on the approach shots and putting. I'd say greens were rolling about 11.5 they claimed 13 but no way. But still great pace and speed. Course is green as can be right now too. I would absolutely recommend it for $250-$375 dependingย on a weekday or weekend tee time.ย 

Sorry guys! I just got back from my 12 day long work trip in Vegas and was swamped.ย 
ย 

Wynn was honestly fantastic! Amazing conditions, great caddies, affordable price and a fun layout. The fazio re design is great. It's not overly challenging but you can get into trouble here and there. Your biggest struggles will be on the approach shotsย and putting. I'd say greens were rolling about 11.5 they claimed 13 but no way. But still great pace and speed. Course is green as can be right now too. I would absolutely recommend it for $250-$375 dependingย on a weekday or weekend tee time.ย 

On 8/10/2021 at 9:33 AM, sharkiesj said:

So how was Wynn? ย 

ย 

Wynn was honestly fantastic! Amazing conditions, great caddies, affordable price and a fun layout. The fazio re design is great. It's not overly challenging but you can get into trouble here and there. Your biggest struggles will be on the approach shotsย and putting. I'd say greens were rolling about 11.5 they claimed 13 but no way. But still great pace and speed. Course is green as can be right now too. I would absolutely recommend it for $250-$375 dependingย on a weekday or weekend tee time.ย 

On 8/11/2021 at 3:31 PM, eboettne said:

Would also like to know as I have a tee time there Labor Day Weekend

ย 

On 8/11/2021 at 3:53 PM, sharkiesj said:

Iโ€™ll let you know Iโ€™ll be there in 2 weeks.ย 

ย 

42 minutes ago, toypor said:

So $250-$375 is now considered affordable golf??? ย Wowโ€ฆ

Especially for a mediocre golf course.ย 
ย 

I understand itโ€™s Vegas and you are paying for convenience and conditions. But I would never think to label Wynn as affordable.ย 

so you've played it since the redesign?ย  can you please provide insight into the changes?ย  and why it is medicore?

2 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

so you've played it since the redesign?ย  can you please provide insight into the changes?ย  and why it is medicore?

Started typing a long post but lost itโ€ฆ. I have played since the redesign but didnโ€™t play prior so no idea of changes. Maybe mediocre is harsh. It was a fine course with no โ€œbadโ€ holes. I like Fazio so not a hater. It is just on an obviously not great site and it is very good for what it is. I just donโ€™t remember it being particularly engaging or super fun.ย 
ย 

Inย that price stratosphere I want something really really good.ย ย Eg. Bandon, Koehler, Streamsong, We Ko Pa, etc. ย 

ย 

My main point was that I find it amazing that $250-$375 is now considered affordable.ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look it's in great condition, great staff and beautiful scenery. But it's not like its shadow creek or anything. I enjoyed the course. It's not too difficult at all but it's fun and I would much rather pay 250-300 to play there than 150 at s*** bali hai. Shadow was closed for aerification while I was there but I'm not paying 600$ to play golf at shadow in August that's insane. Now I will gladly pay that in the fall. But too hot to spend that kind of money in the summer

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 12:51 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

ย 

ย 

Would love to know on what planet the Cascata clubhouse - or facilities - areย considered "average".

ย 

You literally drive your cart into the first floor of the clubhouse where theres a 3 story picture window looking out on the mountains and a huge indoor waterfall.

ย 

If that is "average" to you - you must play at some pretty awesome tracks.

• Like 2

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*ย ย Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

59 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

ย 

Would love to know on what planet the Cascata clubhouse - or facilities - areย considered "average".

ย 

You literally drive your cart into the first floor of the clubhouse where theres a 3 story picture window looking out on the mountains and a huge indoor waterfall.

ย 

If that is "average" to you - you must play at some pretty awesome tracks.

Cascata clubhouse is awesome from a design perspective, but I will admit it felt odd.ย  Kind of like having a 20k sq foot mansion for a single guy.ย  There seemed to be so much open empty space and nobody (employee or otherwise) to give it balance.ย  Any day I expect to see it on the next most haunted list.ย  Kidding aside if that place was busy it would be awesome.ย  Beautiful place though.

• 2 weeks later...

Played Wynn GC and Cascata last Wed. and Thursday. The conditions at Wynn (green fee $300) were outstanding, considering the miserable heat theyโ€™ve had all summer. ย Fairways were green and rough (is 1 inch really rough? lol) was tight and uniform. ย Greens were absolutely outstanding. Semi-firm, smooth, great roll, rolling about 9-10ish. Not super quick but faster than โ€œnormalโ€. Given the heat itโ€™s prob the limit to how low they can cut the greens. ย  Sand in bunkers was excellent. ย We met our caddie just inside the hallway in front of the locker room and they walked us outside to our carts. ย Carts come with 3 waters, 1 Gatorade, 1 Coke and 1 Diet Coke for each golfer. We were the first tee time so we didnโ€™t have time to hit balls in their warm up nets. ย Thereโ€™s a practice putting green right by the first tee. ย We played the 1 up tees from the tips and I birdied the first hole and instantly instilled the 1rst hole birdie curse. ย 
ย 

Whenever I birdie the first hole I generally shoot a horrible round. ย Sure enough. The good times lasted about 4ย holes and then I started melting down. ย Letโ€™s just put it this way. ย I was thinking about lunch before we made the turn. ย Haha!!! ย Bryan, our caddie, was very nice. ย Whipped out his Bluetooth speaker, stuck it in our cartย and started playing some classic tunes. ย Didnโ€™t really mind it, he did ask and we said ok, but at times it was somewhat distracting. You know how it is. ย When youโ€™re playing great everythingโ€™s gravy. ย When youโ€™re not every little worm popping up thruย the ground is a huge distraction. ย 
ย 

Bryan tells us he had Brooks Koepka before the CJ Cup at Shadow Creek. Says he was very ornery that day because he lost 10 million at Bellagio the last 2 days. ย He asked for another 10 million marker and they told him no. Ticked him off pretty good. ย Truth? Caddie tall tale? ย  Who knows. ย Came to 18 and any HIO will be paid $20,000 from the tips, $15,000 from next up, and $10,000 from the white and ladies tee. Only 4 HIOโ€™s this year. ย I wiped mine right but got up/down for an 85. ย Recommended caddie tip is $50. ย Gave Bryan $60 cuz Iโ€™m in Vegas til Monday and havenโ€™t faired well at the tables. ย 
ย 

Thursday was Cascata. Played there before and liked it. ย This time was no different. Well, except the course wasnโ€™t in the greatest shape. ย Theyโ€™re getting ready to close for overseeding and parts of the fairways and near the greens are torn up a bit. ย Itโ€™s not the worst but when youโ€™re paying the $349 green feeโ€ฆโ€ฆ.and I know itโ€™s fricken hard to keep a golf course is good shapeโ€ฆ..itโ€™s a downer. ย The greens were good. The course overall is a lot dryer and burned up vs Wynn. Alex was a great caddie. Also gave him $60. ย Shot another 85. ย Donโ€™t remember too much of the round cuz it was just sweltering. ย Overall service was great. ย Pics of Wynn and Cascata.ย 
ย 

Oh, BTW, if any of you guys are thinking of playing Shadow Creek, play it NOW. Come the end of Sept. itโ€™ll be a cool $1,000 green fee.ย 
ย 

04C05054-55BA-4B54-963F-337EEA751CE3.jpeg

F51E3A8B-CED9-4FD2-ABFD-C47E2CFA00CB.jpeg

B88D2BFB-306F-4324-8179-CD3D87DB1A9B.jpeg

7E28AEF0-B580-44CC-B36F-BDA5293B2B38.jpeg

237C9714-6C2B-4C7C-85C8-EFF770608619.jpeg

0A6A57B5-575A-4F2C-B896-2674ED5359D2.jpeg

02070C08-1B1D-4FC7-A309-447C65726A4C.jpeg

FB611A5C-3F66-46DE-9466-310EA2FED9EE.jpeg

47EC60C3-4F80-4001-B106-C3E958DA2E59.jpeg

• Like 1

Just wanted to add that on Saturday, the wifey and I went to Zion National Park and hiked the Narrows. ย If any of you guys are into hiking or want other stuff to do in Vegas, go on this hike. Itโ€™s a 2 1/2 hr drive and youโ€™re walking thru a river the whole way but itโ€™s AWESOME. ย SUB70 hit the Narrows!!!ย 

F0EA5B52-8C52-441D-B49A-34B8941E42AA.jpeg

E849080B-AA53-4CCE-BA27-08AD98CB8DF1.jpeg

FCCB193E-0BBA-40ED-84DB-525626D7ACBB.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eboettne said:

Great review. Got me excited to play The Wynn on Saturday. Iย hiked the narrows in June and it was well worth the trip!ย 

Wynn is in great shape. ย Did you also hike Angelโ€™s Landing? ย We did that( not on this trip) but I was too chicken to do the last 1/2 mile with the chains. ย 

On 8/30/2021 at 2:11 PM, sharkiesj said:

Wynn is in great shape. ย Did you also hike Angelโ€™s Landing? ย We did that( not on this trip) but I was too chicken to do the last 1/2 mile with the chains. ย 

Nope, just watching youtube videos of it gave me sweaty palms so I figured I better pass.ย 

Wynn Golf Club was great, the whole experience was first class from checking into the pro shop, the locker room attendant, the caddies, the breakfast sandwich that they personally delivered out to me on the 2nd hole.ย  Course was pretty cool for being in the middle of the strip as well, walk from our room at The Venetian took maybe 15 minutes or so which was a lot nicer than taking an uber to and from the course that takes away from your time in Vegas.ย 

ย 

I enjoyed the back 9 more than the front but probably because I played better(40-35). But being a little hungover I double bogeyed the first couple holes with some questionable short game play. Once I got their very tasty breakfast sandwichย in me I turned it around.ย  Also they had unlimited free waters that came in the same reclosable cans that coors light does, I drank about 7 of them.ย  The gatorades that came in a can were kind of neat too, never seen that.

ย 

Pros - Greens were incredibly smooth and CONSISTENT(maybe a 10 on the stimp), they looked a lot faster so that took some getting used to. The course used the creek that wound through it in really neat ways & some of the holes reminded me of Shadow Creek(or what I've seen on tv), the waterfall behind the 18th with the chance at $10k for an ace was the perfect finish for the course(I hit it pin high but my buddy landed one about 3 feet from the pin that had us cheering as it was in the air), Forecaddy was super friendly and just a good guy to hang around with, worked his butt offย 

ย 

Cons - Obviously the price, I probably wouldn't play it again because I don't have $400 to blow on golf round regularly(although it's usually more like $600 so that was my justification), the guys we played with sucked as in 2 of the worst people I've ever been paired with anywhere, they played slow, they were pretty terrible at golf, and they were generally a holes(to the caddy, the staff, and us). I get the feeling this course has to deal with these types a lot more than other courses.ย  The caddy while a super nice guy was terrible at reading greens, I would see 3-4 cups of break and he'd tell me right edge or just outside right. I'd take his line and miss the putt really low and had a 3-4 birdie opportuties inside 10 feet on the front. Not a huge deal so I just started taking my own lines on the back. To his credit his lines and advice off the tee and on approaches was spot on.

ย 

In summation, I'd play it once if you get it less than rack rate and feel comfortable blowing $400 on a round for a first class experience.

Edited by eboettne