Help me understand mini drivers...

jomatty

When I saw the new mini driver release I started thinking I may need one.  Then I started to really think about it (always dangerous), and I can’t figure out why it would be beneficial for the the vast majority of players.  
while it does seem to be designed with the idea that you can hit it off the deck, it doesn’t seem like many would use it in that manner.  So if the goal is to have a more dependable tee club, then why does a smaller, less forgiving head help most players accomplish this?  
Like a lot of players, I hit my driver more consistently than my 3 wood.  The 3 wood is a safer option, in many situations, as it doesn’t go as far, and that keeps it out of a lot trouble, but it is not a straighter club.  I think this is true for the vast majority of players.  
Is the idea behind the mini driver simply that some players prefer to look down at a smaller head, but a deeper head than a 3 wood?  
Even though I toyed with the idea of getting a mini driver, when I actually started thinking about the goal of a more consistent second driver, it was clear that for me, a 360cc driver with a shorter shaft designed for accuracy, would be a much better choice. Obviously, I’m not going to do this as I can choke up and hit a cut as a fairway finder, but it did leave me wondering why this is a good idea for anyone.  I play off of a 5 so I’m not great, but not terrible, and it just seems like a bad idea for almost all amateur golfers to go this route and I’m wondering what I am missing.

Thanks for bearing with me on this somewhat dumb thought experiment.  I suppose the answer is going to come down to personal preferance like so much in golf does, but was curious if I was missing anything.

• Like 2

This exactly what I have right now.  An Epic Flash driver cut down to 42.5 inches and a 360cc 2004 Big Bertha cut down to 41  inches!  I'm 5" 2.5" tall so the Flash is the equivalent of a 47 inch club for someone of normal height.  I don't have enough swing speed to justify carrying a 3W, so I have room in my bag to carry two drivers.  When I realized the  SS issue I replaced the 3W with a 7W with a head that was about the same size as the 3W.   The 3W, 7W, and short driver are the same length.

I like to experiment with inexpensive clubs to see what works for me.  I bought 2019 BB 6H to compare against a Fusion 4H that was cut down to about the same length.  Adjusted for the same swing weight.  I found I could more confidently swing the larger head of the BB.  The difference in loft is just 3 degrees, 27 vs 27.  As I see it, confidence is a big part of playing golf.  You only get one swing to make a shot.  

Edited by ShortGolfer

For really solid ball strikers (pros etc...) where you need a specific shot shape/gaping, its a mini-driver and has a good niche use.

For the majority of people, if you want a fairway finder grab a driver head you like, cut it to 43", add some weights/hotmelt/lead tape, and use that big honking forgiving tech sexy 460 cc face to find the fairway.

Not gonna convince me 300cc is more accurate for that task when we usually don't find the middle.

🙂 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jomatty said:

Like a lot of players, I hit my driver more consistently than my 3 wood.  The 3 wood is a safer option, in many situations, as it doesn’t go as far, and that keeps it out of a lot trouble, but it is not a straighter club.  I think this is true for the vast majority of players.  

The reason players lots of amateurs struggle with 3-wood from the tee box is that they very rarely use that club. If there is no driver in the bag players soon realize 3-wood does produce consistently more solid-straighter shots than a driver. For your next round of golf leave driver at home and I expect that by the 6th or 7th hole you will be comfortable swinging3-wood and liking the tee box shots.

• Like 3

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I tend to agree that for all but the elite ams/pros, the three wood or mini driver isn't any more accurate than normal driver.  They just go shorter, which can be an advantage at times.

I will say I had a 13* 3 Deep for many years, which was still quite a bit smaller than the current mini drivers but somewhat of the same concept.  I probably had the same issue as you; when swinging well I could play this club off the tee for the whole round and it wasn't costing me much.  However, when I was slightly off the mishits were so bad it was not playable.  That being said, I found it hard to get the same/right ball flight out of a 12* 460 cc driver with a shorter shaft.  I could hit the 3 Deep a lot farther than the 12* driver.

I've had a mini-driver in the bag for 7years...SLDR at 16* which is effectively a 3/4 wood but its the same size as the other minis.  I will provide my thoughts because I use it as most would a mini-driver that also carry a standard driver.  I use it exclusively off the tee where I do not need driver length and, because its shorter and spins more, where I need accuracy primarily.

I do not hit this other than the fairway and it gets played 3-4 times a round depending on the course - typically more than my hybrid.  Also, because I can hit my 20* hybrid 225-235, there is no need for a 3 wood from the fairway.  Quite honestly, if I have more than 230 to a green, I am not worried about hitting/holding the green.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

The reason players lots of amateurs struggle with 3-wood from the tee box is that they very rarely use that club. If there is no driver in the bag players soon realize 3-wood does produce consistently more solid-straighter shots than a driver. For your next round of golf leave driver at home and I expect that by the 6th or 7th hole you will be comfortable swinging3-wood and liking the tee box shots.

I’m not sure what this has to do with the question amd I disagree with it.  People have more trouble hitting 3 woods because it is a harder club to hit.  For the record I did not say I am uncomforatable hitting my 3 wood off the tee, and am not sure where that came from.  I hit it when called for and do so with decent confidence.  What I said was that I hit my driver straighter.  This is the case for the vast majority of players.  I’ll have to look for the data, but I believe it was compiled through Decade.  People just hit driver straighter than they do 3 woods.  3 woods don’t go as far, so they can cause less trouble but it’s not because people hit them “better”.  I hit a lot more fairways than most pros.  It’s certainly not because I’m a better driver of the golf ball.  Same logic on 3 woods for most (not all) players.  

21 minutes ago, JFM628 said:

I've had a mini-driver in the bag for 7years...SLDR at 16* which is effectively a 3/4 wood but its the same size as the other minis.  I will provide my thoughts because I use it as most would a mini-driver that also carry a standard driver.  I use it exclusively off the tee where I do not need driver length and, because its shorter and spins more, where I need accuracy primarily.

I do not hit this other than the fairway and it gets played 3-4 times a round depending on the course - typically more than my hybrid.  Also, because I can hit my 20* hybrid 225-235, there is no need for a 3 wood from the fairway.  Quite honestly, if I have more than 230 to a green, I am not worried about hitting/holding the green.

The reasons you prefer it over a cut down driver is primarily spin related?  I can see higher spin being more accurate.  

50 minutes ago, bvanlieu said:

For really solid ball strikers (pros etc...) where you need a specific shot shape/gaping, its a mini-driver and has a good niche use.

For the majority of people, if you want a fairway finder grab a driver head you like, cut it to 43", add some weights/hotmelt/lead tape, and use that big honking forgiving tech sexy 460 cc face to find the fairway.

Not gonna convince me 300cc is more accurate for that task when we usually don't find the middle.

🙂 

I guess this makes sense for a pro who is looking for a specific shot shape he may have trouble getting with his driver.  Kind of like Rory saying he is not going to hit draws with his driver anymore,  if he needs to hit a draw then he will use his 3 wood (not sure if this is currently what he is doing but it was fairly recently).  This seems to have mostly to do with ball position but makes sense.

I guess people’s response just confirms my feeling that anyone who is not a + cap should not be considering one of these.

I got to hit the 300 a couple of weeks ago, it's a pretty forgiving club, I could really see it being a benefit to higher handicappers as a driver replacement.  For better places it would make a great driver/3w replacement on a short course, giving you another spot in the bag.  Beyond that it's really got no real purpose unless you're wanting to clone Phil Mickelson's bag.  It's not as long as the driver and not forgiving enough to sacrifice the yards, but it's too long for a 3w replacement, generally if I'm hitting 3w on the tee it's for position and to stay short of something.  It's much easier to hit from the turf than you think, but the ball flight you get really isn't beneficial for hitting into a long par 5 unless you have nothing but open ground between you and the green, it's hard enough holding a green with a 3w, you're not holding anything with this club.   

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

6 hours ago, jomatty said:

When I saw the new mini driver release I started thinking I may need one.  Then I started to really think about it (always dangerous), and I can’t figure out why it would be beneficial for the the vast majority of players. 

For the majority of am's, the playing length of the club is the biggest factor in how consistent they hit the club and how forgiving it will be.  More so than head size and more so than loft.   That includes being more consistent with fairways than drivers.  The times when this is typically not the case is when either 1) they spend WAY more time practicing with the driver than the fairway or 2) put more effort into getting a better fit with the driver vs the fairway.

The mini's are simply big headed fairway.   Shorter playing lengths for more consistent strikes than a typical driver and a bit more loft to add back some of the forgiveness for the smaller head relative to the driver.   They are sometimes preferred because the stock length is shorter and the vast majority of ams don't have a clue that shortening the longer driver is even a possibility.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

They're a niche club for a lot of categories. Guys who like a smaller driver, people who have trouble with drivers, people who are looking for a multi use Sunday bag wood, etc. 

It's not a club that everyone needs to have, but it's a club for many that they love. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I never quite understood them myself, but I realize that doesn't mean people can't find use for them.  I equated them to strong 3 woods with larger head size for added forgiveness for those who may struggle with 3w.  I can not see them being anywhere near as forgiving as todays drivers but more so than some 3 woods for sure and calling it a "driver" may add some forgiveness between the ears.  With todays drivers being as good as they are and even some 3 woods getting larger and hotter, I have to think the market for the mini is small.  

Tried the X Hot 3 deep years ago and it was long off the tee, but was lucky if I could hit it worth a crap off the deck.  My current G425 Max 3w is as close to a MD I have seen yet that isn't actually one... AND, it's great off the deck.  To each his own!

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

5 hours ago, jomatty said:

It would be beneficial to those players that need to use a smaller head to make a disciplined swing. I could never hit fairway woods well until I got some 1998 Big Bertha's with heads that look like a small hybrid and am using the 2 wood as my main driver. Also, my best rounds and my lowest hc (8)were with small cb's with an MPF like a blade (less than 400). 

The problem for many that play GI clubs is they can't seem to understand that not everyone needs to take the same steps to improve their game.

Edited by chipa

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

17 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Dude, we get it.  You don't like mini drivers.  You don't understand why people want to use them.  Quit being a Delta Bravo and sh-tting on every thread about them.

If you feel I've crossed the line and been offensive I will be glad to retract that comment. Since you asked so nicely.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hoselrocker said:

This is becoming a BS question and it’s getting old. As far as I can tell never in the history of golf has there been so many equipment choices. Don’t like blade sand wedges - play cavities. Like the looks of a full face wedge - game that. No judgement from me.

This is really about guys that can hit 460 well and maybe even a fairway on occasion snorting about if you can’t hit 460, learn how to. The end result is game enjoyment and for me I know I can hit fairways looking at a smaller headed driver with a shorter shaft. I have long arms best suited for hauling luggage and that paired with the long 460 driver shaft and big head is a recipe for disaster. My swing is the opposite of Adam Scott’s and the minis offer me some help. Get off your high horses and accept that not every body can or wants to hit a big driver. High toe wedges make no sense to me - but if you hit all your short game shots inside mine good for you!

Didn’t realize this was a dead topic.  It’s getting old to you ignore the threads?  I’ll admit I could have searched more before posting this but it just you seem like a big enough deal to be worth getting upset about (for instance claiming it to be a BS question that I asked).  It’s just a discussion how about a golf club on the Internet. Several people seem to want to participate. I get it that you don’t, but it’s strange to not want to participate yet still spend time typing out a response to call it BS and say it’s getting old…When all you have to do is not click on it

Edited by jomatty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought the 300. I pretty much said so in another thread but I’ll say it here too. I’m playing it as a driver replacement. It’s been a very inconsistent year with a standard length 460 driver. I was having better luck with a 4 wood off the the tee at the courses I play and maybe once was it called for off the deck for a par 5 on a course I rarely ever play. 

The mini is absolutely easier to hit off the tee than my 4 wood. It’s only about 10-15 yards shorter than my best drives. Bad drives so far are less punishing (more on line or still more in play. I’ve had only a short time with the club but I’m happy with it so far and enjoy hitting it. 

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

"Full" bag currently looks like this:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818H1 25* Fuji Atmos Black 9s

Callaway Mavrik Pro 7-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Callaway MD5 48*

Callway Jaws Raw 56*

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

Nobody can help you understand, you have to hit one. Then maybe you get it, maybe meh. I would like to try one, just not for retail $400, maybe $100 I will give it a go for fun.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

1 hour ago, jomatty said:

Didn’t realize this was a dead topic.  It’s getting old to you ignore the threads?  I’ll admit I could have searched more before posting this but it just you seem like a big enough deal to be worth getting upset about (for instance claiming it to be a BS question that I asked).  It’s just a discussion how about a golf club on the Internet. Several people seem to want to participate. I get it that you don’t, but it’s strange to not want to participate yet still spend time typing out a response to call it BS and say it’s getting old…When all you have to do is not click on it

Sorry I wasn’t trying to be a d-head but it does come naturally to me. There are a lot of threads on this question and it’s been debated ad nauseam.

I don’t believe this club is only for really good golfers. There was a time not forever ago where this would’ve been considered a big driver.
It’s a mini but it still has a lot of tech and adjustability built in and makes golf fun for those of us who would be dropping another tee ball or pitching to the fairway sideways from jail or even backwards.

Nothing ruins golf for me than standing on the first tee box with such promise and optimism ahead of you and hammering a 460 driver 250 plus into the bush. Soul crushing. My OO mini is always on or around the fairway. 

• Like 2

I have the TM SLDR mini, and love it.  Can't really say why I bought it over a 3-wood, because I simply don't know.  I know I was having issues slicing my driver, and came across the mini-driver category while doing some kind of internet research, and I liked that it looked more like the older-style drivers.  Perhaps because it had 'driver' in the name, I thought it would be a better alternative to a regular driver than a wood would.  Anyway, I tend to use if off the tee on narrow fairways and on longer par 3s, and also love hitting it off the deck on par 5s.  But like I said, I have no idea how it might compare to a 3-wood.

• Like 1

Some golfers play better with one length irons. Some play better with fairway woods vs hybrids and vice-versa. Some can hit a 60° wedge, some can't. Your golf game is based on not how, but how many. I played a TM Mini driver @ 12° for a year or two while working on my driver swing. Now back to a 460cc, 10.5° @ 45.5 Ping driver. I am fighting a push fade with the Ping this year. Every once in a while I think of pulling the mini back out. Maybe this week? I put a Cleveland Smart Sole 58° large sole sand wedge in the bag this year. It is my sand bunker or hit a high chip shot club, I am bad laying open a standard sand wedge. Play what gives you your best scoring chance for a round, not necessarily what the OEMs say you are suppose to have in your bag. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

6 hours ago, uglande said:

Option 1) A driver replacement for those who struggle with the big stick. The mini is two full inches shorter than most drivers so it's much easier to find center, despite the smaller head (and at that length, the head does not look the slightest bit intimidating -- just the opposite). At 43.75, a cut-down 460cc driver would look ridiculous and clunky, IMO, and would also require a ton of head weight to offset. 

Option 2) A two-wood/thriver for those who like another option off the tee, but a club that is more accurate and workable than driver and that's more forgiving and confidence-inspiring than a 3w.

I don't understand why people are so flummoxed by mini drivers. Look at players like Henrik Stenson and his Diablo 3w -- he hit that club off the tee all the time but almost never used it from the fairway. The mini serves that same purpose but with a bigger, more forgiving footprint that works better for a broader range of golfers. Ian from TXG was talking the other day about how he hits 3w off of most tees (more than driver) and almost never from the fairway. So for players who are in this situation, a mini-driver makes a lot of sense. That's how I use it -- as a fairway-finding second tee club.

There are millions of golfers who now carry 2 irons. Why? Because they want a second tee option that's easier for finding fairway. Most never use their 2i off the fairway. Mini serves the same purpose.

This exactly. I experience Option 1 and Option 2 all the time....

10 hours ago, jomatty said:

while it does seem to be designed with the idea that you can hit it off the deck, it doesn’t seem like many would use it in that manner.  So if the goal is to have a more dependable tee club, then why does a smaller, less forgiving head help most players accomplish this?  
Is the idea behind the mini driver simply that some players prefer to look down at a smaller head, but a deeper head than a 3 wood?  
Even though I toyed with the idea of getting a mini driver, when I actually started thinking about the goal of a more consistent second driver, it was clear that for me, a 360cc driver with a shorter shaft designed for accuracy, would be a much better choice. Obviously, I’m not going to do this as I can choke up and hit a cut as a fairway finder, but it did leave me wondering why this is a good idea for anyone.  I play off of a 5 so I’m not great, but not terrible, and it just seems like a bad idea for almost all amateur golfers to go this route and I’m wondering what I am missing.

Thanks for bearing with me on this somewhat dumb thought experiment.  I suppose the answer is going to come down to personal preferance like so much in golf does, but was curious if I was missing anything.

IMHO, Unless you have the CHS to hit a mini driver (large-deep fairway head with lower loft) off the deck, it really isn't going to be of benefit at all. Sure, there are some who just don't like the big driver heads, but the mini-driver tech is no where near what a full size driver offers. and shaft length can be altered on anything.

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize