You've Changed Irons. What did your handicap do?

2Down

It didn't affect me.  My number is dependent on how my putting/ short game is going.  That said, the distance dispersion on my current irons is noticeably tighter than the last set (i500 to 0311T), which puts me in better position more often.

It still comes down to short game though, particularly putting.   

• Like 2

Started in the summer of 2019 with hand me down Cleveland TA3s from my dad. Handicap at infinity. Soon realized I was gonna be golfing for life and believed the "you shouldn't play blades unless you're pro" hype so retired the TA3s and bought ping g410s off ebay. HC got to high teens. Realized the fit was not good so got rid of those after a few months and got jpx 919 tours. HC to low teens. Gamed the tours for the past year but sold em to my friend and am back full circle to the Cleveland TA3s with a 8 HC. Just ordered some ZX7s though so hopefully those get me to scratch 😅

The iron changes probably had little to do with my drop in HC. My short game, putting, and shot choice just improved and I stopped watching YouTube swing tips.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My handicap has not changed over a 2 year period. This is a list of irons I've had in play over that period of time. 

Wilson Staff blades

Wilson V6's 

Srixon ZX5'S 

Wilson D9

Titleist 714AP2

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Add me to the No Change list. 

I shoot around the same with my main set (iBlades), my retro sets (BeCu Eye 2+s or BeNi ISIs), my holiday set (Ansers) or my occasional change set (Vega VC-02s).  My handicap stayed about the same in moving from i20s to i200s to iBlades in the past 5 years.  All irons feel different, but I don't really believe that irons make a huge difference as long as they are roughly the right spec for the player using them.  Changing drivers and putters, on the other hand, makes a much bigger difference.

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

Too early to tell. Also too difficult to tell whether it's me or the irons. 

I just switched irons and wedges, and two days ago was the first full round I've played with them. I think it's actually a meaningful change because I went from variable-length to single-length irons. 

But I was out of the game for a long time before COVID. Since I came back a year ago, I've dropped 4-5 strokes from my HC already. I've taken a lesson in March and have been working that move at the range ever since. I'm playing WAY more frequently than I ever used to. 

I think the single-length irons will improve my consistency, but trying to separate that effect from the effect of playing and practicing more will be impossible. I've noticed my game improving in the run up to getting the new clubs, so new clubs might help me improve my HC faster, or they might just be a change that has no effect. Tough to measure. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Made a significant iron change prior to this year and my handicap has dropped by 4. Switched from SGI irons (Cleveland Mashie combo set) to Ping i500’s but I would mostly attribute the improved iron play and scoring to changing from a regular flex shaft to stiff.

I do feel much more confident standing over iron shots with less offset and a more compact looking club head. 

CALLAWAY Paradym Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 10.5* /  Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6S

TITLEIST TSR2+ 13* / Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65S

CALLAWAY Apex UW 17* / Fujikura Ventus TR Red 7S

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 4i / Fujikura Pro 95i

PING i230 5-PW / True Temper Project X IO 6.0

PING Glide 4.0 50S / Ping Z-Z115 W

BETTINARDI HLX 5.0 Oil-Rubbed Bronze PVD 54RJ and 58RJ / KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black

BRANDON MATTHEW Truxton Wide-Blade Carbon Patina

TITLEIST Pro V1x

WITB LINK

Went from Maltby DBMs to Srixon zx5/zx7 combo set in March.  Handicap has only moved slightly up and down, just about the same.  However, my scores have been way more consistent.  Hovering around a 6, scores with my old clubs would vary from 74ish to high 80s with no telling what I would shoot day to day.  With the Srixons, My last 20 now has only 4 scores in the 80s, and low 80s at that. I went 11 straight rounds with scores from 76-79. Never done that before. So, yeah, I'm playing better, but it's not necessarily reflected in the handicap. Haven't broken par yet with this set, but that's attributable to bonehead decisions more than anything else.

15 hours ago, jbrunk said:

The courses I play have a greater bearing on my handicap than the equipment I play.

An honest assessment, and probably applicable to many people.

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Pretty sure nothing. Usually I’m changing irons to go with a change in swing methods. My last set change two years ago was to the Mavrik Irons. Yes my hcp went down by 4 but my swing was changing to use more of a Jim Venetos swing type.  I was happy but my back isn’t anymore. So I’m off on another one of my infamous let’s change back to……

This time to Manuel Del La Torre swing and to my AP1 718s until my Mizuno 921 Hot metals come in. I’m a Ho…and I have a problem.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

1994: went from 1970s blades to cavity back - HDCP dropped ~ 4 strokes.

2009: went from stiff to regular shafts - HDCP dropped ~ 3 strokes.

2018: stayed the same.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

5 hours ago, mburl549 said:

What is this golden tip you speak of?

Put the club slightly on the toe. Stopped me shanking and duffing it almost completely. Now land on the green, instead of circling around it..🙄 Still need to work on distance control but at least I now get on the dance floor.

Also using the straight arms as he does here (as does Jason Day if I am not mistaken)

• Like 1

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping

After i changer to player cb and or blade from gi.... id say my game improver a few strokes for sure.... but changing within the better players irons has consistenly been the same scores.... which is fine because the best of any clubs for yourself can only do so much. At some point the player just had to play better!

My iron striking definitely got much better after getting fitted irons, my handicap well there are other factors for that. But my average scores have gotten better so I'd say a good improvement, could be better. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I replaced a 12 year old set almost exactly a year ago and my index has been in the same +/- 0.5 range before and after. New irons have made me more excited to play and practice.

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

I recently switched from PXG 0311XF (Gen 1) to Cobra Forged Tec (copper).

It was purely for aesthetics and I wasn't really expecting any real improvement, although I wouldn't have accepted any drop off either.

At first I got what expected. I hit the Cobras about as well (or as badly) as I hit the PXGs.

Then I regripped the Cobras with the same mid-sized Golf Pride Align grips I used with the PXGs.

Over the next couple of weeks I had my lowest round ever (72), a bunch of others in the mid 70s and my handicap dropped two shots to 7, which is also my lowest ever.

I'm at the age (60) where most of my long-time playing partners see their handicap go up, so I was pretty happy.

I'm going through the inevitable patch of poor ball-striking at the moment so the Cobras are by no means magic. In fact I cheated on them today with a set of PXG Gen3s with very good results.

But, coincidence or not, there is no denying that my time with the Cobras coincided with my lowest score.

Mind you, now I think about it, I was off 12 when I switched to the PXGs a couple of years ago and dropped 4 shots in my time with them.

🙂

Edited by sfdoddsy
  • Like 1

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

I went from 714 AP2's and a 13hcp to Mizuno JPX900 Tours (4-9i) and it dropped several strokes off my handicap to around a 8hcp. Currently a 4.1 but that was after the driver fitting which saved me tons as well...

Changes between the irons was moving out of the DG S300 shafts into KBS C-taper 125+. The lighter and stiffer profile really helped me out and added a full club distance. 

Biggest difference I could tell was in the sole design. The AP2's sole was too wide (or just didn't get along with my swing) for the conditions I usually play in here in the southeast. Tight, dry turf conditions really called for a thinner sole design and a pre-worn leading edge which is exactly what I got. I will never look back...

Driver : Ping G410 LST w/ Evenflow Black 6.5

Fairways: Titleist TS2 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7x

Taylormade M5 Ti w/ GD BB7x

Irons: Miura CB57 w/ KBS C-taper 125 (4-9i)

Wedges: Raw Zip-core 46, 54, 58 & SM7 50

Putter: Ping Tyne 4 w/ BGT Stability 

Switched into Ping i210s about 3 months .....my reasoning was I'm looking for a set that felt the same from 4i down to wedge with some help but still not overly bulky......I had looked into these when they were released in 2018 but went iblade to my chagrin .....they didn't feel nearly as good as i210s;  I thought the slimmer profile and minimal offset would suit me better.

So after 2 combo sets (Srixon Z785 7-pw Z585 4-6 and T200s which added that weird button on long irons making a clacky sound) I found a set of lefty i210 and immediately it was love at first strike!  

My scores have been consistent;  73.5 is my scoring average......I'm hitting more greens.....150 holes played I'm at 72.6 % 

I don't know the complete effects on my handicap but I'm certainly playing better than 7 I was for past 2 years.......

If my 25 years of playing have taught me anything, my HDCP is based on my athletic ability not the clubs I choose to use.   Same is true of my guitar playing; and, much like guitars, it's more about experiencing something new/different than it is the belief that the new irons/guitar will somehow make me better.  

• Like 2

My handicap has dropped, but mainly because of swing work and my wrist fully healing from surgery.

That being said, my distance control is much better with my current irons than any others I have played before and make more solid strikes.  Sure, no iron fixes bad path or face angle, but my spin and landing angles are much better.  My average approach proximity is lower than it was pre injury, but because my putting has gotten worse my handicap is about the same as it was.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I was 6.2 when I changed my irons in 2019. I went from TM's with KBS Tour 105R to Mizunos with Recoil 95 F3. I went up to 8.1. After I put a strip of lead tape on the back of each club, I have gone back down to 5.8.

Mizuno Shaft Optimiser sucks!

Edited by Pete O'Tube
  • Haha 1

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

Early 2020 gamer irons were Callaway XR pros bought 2nd hand from the facebook marketplace. Took up golf before pandemic after meeting wife, who played in high school and declined college scholarship. Started to play seriously starting last year 2020, shot around 100-110.

Last month, swapped out gamers for Apex pro 21 irons KBS 120g stiff shaft, yes I am aware I am a high handicap player. Spent last year and this year improving with my ball striking. Also, got a new driver thanks to my wife, before driver I would hit a 7 fairwood or 4 iron off the tee. Still trying to figure out driver. But after 1st outing with the new irons, shot 88. Before hitting 88, I was hitting around the high 90s. 2nd outing with new irons, shot 88 again. So yes, f*** lessons and instead buy new clubs. Guaranteed to fix your crappy swing. 

Serious note, previous gamer irons had different shafts. 8 and 6 irons had graphite shaft that had no logos. For the rest of the irons, I'm assuming it was regular shaft. Regardless, I will spend this off season on improving my swing with a pro.

IMG_1030.jpg

My handicap has gone up this year because I’ve flipped my whole bag about 4 times in the last 16 months. Now that my bag is starting to stabilize, and I’m getting more comfortable with all my clubs, my scores are starting to come back down.

Did a fitting in March, which was a game-changer, and now my Srixon Z 785 irons and Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges are properly fit for me at 6’7 (2* Up and +1.5” long). Starting to get more Birdie looks and Pars over the last 2 weeks, and my Handicap will start decreasing and levelling out.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I get my new set this week, so i'm really hoping for a 3 shot improvement.

I have been playing TM MC from 2011 (not really forgiving), and haven't had a top of the bag i liked for 2 years.  Played irons only for 6 months, it was so bad(my handicap improved 2 strokes, lol).    

During my fitting i found out my irons are too upright which causes my ball to start left of target, and i struggle with the woods because i was never willing to accept help (slight draw weighting made a huge difference, i don't slice long clubs but its too much fade for me to play comfortably).

Also with my current irons, i get punished with mishits.  Not so much on direction, but distance.    

• 1 month later...

I  went from my Muzino 919 Tours at a 12.3 HDCP in April to my back up P790's with graphite shafts, and first time out shot my low score of 75. Previous low was 79. 

My HDCP now is 9.0 as of my round yesterday. I have shot about 4 rounds in the 70's since April. Previously shot 3 rounds in the 70's in my lifetime. 

P790's made the game easier for me by giving me 10 more yards per club. But the 919 made me get better with ball striking. 

Sim2 Max (9 Deg) w Hzrdous Smoke RDX 6.0 70g
-----------------------------
Sim2 Max 3 wood | Hzrdous Blue RDX 6.0
Sim2 Max 5 wood | Ventus Blue  

Titliest T 200 4 iron AMT Black S300
Titliest T150 5-PW AMT Black S300
TM P790 4-PW Modus 120s
TM MG2 54/58 wedges - Modus 130
SC Newport 2 / SC Phantom X 9.5