You've Changed Irons. What did your handicap do?

2Down

I switched to older blades with less offset and more loft and I have never hit anything so high or straight. I haven't played a round with them only practiced for a couple of weeks. 

• Like 2

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Nothing so far this time. Usually goes up slightly.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

When I tried to go to Ping from my MP 33s, my scores went to crap.  Feel during the swing was all messed up and I got a proper fitting for the Pings.  My MP 33s feel well balanced in weight while the Ping felt too light in the head to me.  I realize this is all subjective but that is what I was feeling.  

Biggest change ive ever seen in my golf game due to equipment was from an iron/wedge fitting. 

I was playing the wrong shafts ( I went lighter after an injury) and it was not a good fit. After finding the right shafts/swingweight combo my iron play has been more consistent than ever. 

Down four. That's not easy at age 71, when it's usually going in the other direction.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I switched from Players CBs (mid 2000s) to Players Distance. The new irons are more forgiving with stronger lofts which has helped to bring the scores down.

Edited by pdxhak

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Went to 2021 Callaway Apex 1 Forged with graphite UST Recoil Dart.  So far not so good.  I feel like I'm swinging a broom stick (you guys know what I mean).

Deciding to keep on trying to use them as I can't seem to figure out an alternative and I'm not comfortable taking them back.  I've gone to the well too many times at my favorite golf store and $1,400 later well what can I say.  Because of the club shortages I never really got the iron specs I was after and I'm new to graphite shafts which to my surprise can be stiffer than steel.

Driver:  Ping G430 LST 9.5*

3 Wood: TM Stealth2 16.5*;  7 Wood: TM Stealth2 21*

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4 - P

SW:  Titleist SM9 F 50* and S 56*

Putter:  TM Spider TourZ

On 7/27/2021 at 3:34 PM, Jifmoli said:

Put the club slightly on the toe. Stopped me shanking and duffing it almost completely. Now land on the green, instead of circling around it..🙄 Still need to work on distance control but at least I now get on the dance floor.

Also using the straight arms as he does here (as does Jason Day if I am not mistaken)

THANKS FOR THE VIDEO. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

On 7/28/2021 at 1:56 PM, skwannabe said:

Early 2020 gamer irons were Callaway XR pros bought 2nd hand from the facebook marketplace. Took up golf before pandemic after meeting wife, who played in high school and declined college scholarship. Started to play seriously starting last year 2020, shot around 100-110.

Last month, swapped out gamers for Apex pro 21 irons KBS 120g stiff shaft, yes I am aware I am a high handicap player. Spent last year and this year improving with my ball striking. Also, got a new driver thanks to my wife, before driver I would hit a 7 fairwood or 4 iron off the tee. Still trying to figure out driver. But after 1st outing with the new irons, shot 88. Before hitting 88, I was hitting around the high 90s. 2nd outing with new irons, shot 88 again. So yes, f*** lessons and instead buy new clubs. Guaranteed to fix your crappy swing. 

Serious note, previous gamer irons had different shafts. 8 and 6 irons had graphite shaft that had no logos. For the rest of the irons, I'm assuming it was regular shaft. Regardless, I will spend this off season on improving my swing with a pro.

IMG_1030.jpg

Can you beat the wife yet????

Bag is in overhaul mode

I have been bouncing around with irons for some time, usually changing every 6 months. I decided to keep playing the G700 for awhile and did well breaking 80 for the second time, the G irons broke 80 for the first time the week before, so go figure. I ordered G710 irons to see where that will go, and had them fitted. I have to manmy senior moments, like where am I, to have consistent scores. Shoot 80 one week and two weeks later shoot 93 at the same course. When I am on I do okay, but when not I am crying in the towel.

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 7/26/2021 at 7:54 AM, Jamie_Tee said:

Gained 2 strokes per round.  More shaft than head, but I've got a combo that allows me to hit the shots I see.

This has been my experience too 

I've been playing very similar iron heads for a while, player's type cavity back, or like my current T100 irons, something that looks Tour like but with some forgiveness.  Head never really made as big of a difference than the shaft.  Played KBS Tour-V 120x for a while because they were the stock shaft in my '16 Apex Pros.  When I decided I wanted to give the T100 a go (loved the look) - got fitted for the iron shaft at Hot Stix in Fountain Hills, AZ (Sunridge Canyon golf course) - literally hit just about every premium steel shaft, and it was money well spent - didn't cost all that much either. 

Now that I have the right shaft and length (PX 6.0, +1/4"), definitely hitting more greens and much more consistent.  T100 irons are excellent but do not play all that different than the '16 Apex Pros other than that I like the T100 at address more - but don't think that impacts the score all that much, of course.  I hit the PX's a lot straighter than I ever hit the KBS Tour-V; very different shafts.

I got fit for the Wood shafts too - I really benefit from the 6.5 or X-flex in the graphite shafts, but 6.0 a better fit in the irons and I feel like I can just focus on tempo with this set-up.

Good thread!

Edited by keith723

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

This season I went from Z765 with Modus 125X to i210 with Modus 120X, and recently put in MMT 125 TX soft stepped... I've dropped 2.3 strokes and shot my first round par this year...

loved my Srixons; I had them since they launched. They feel better than the Pings and have better turf interaction. I was actually lined up to pre-order the ZX7s, but got quoted long lead times. The i210s are crazy consistent with distances, especially short irons. I can't wait to hit the i210 wedge and gap. They're so good.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

My handicap has dropped 3.5 points. In fairness I made a significant iron change and probably had a proper fitting for the first time. 

Switched from Apex Pro '16 120g S to regular apex '21 115 xs, 2 degrees flat. My misses are much better and I'm putting a much more consistent swing on all my clubs.  

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Titleist TSR3 8* - Ventus Black TR 6X

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* - Ventus Black TR 7X

Callaway UW 19* - Ventus Red 7X

Callaway X Forged UT 20* - LA Golf A 85X

Callaway Apex '21 5-PW - TT ETS 115 X

Titleist SM9 50* & 54* - DG S200

TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - KBS Hi Rev 115 S

EVNROLL ER5B - Stability Tour Black

35 minutes ago, alkal11 said:

My handicap has dropped 3.5 points. In fairness I made a significant iron change and probably had a proper fitting for the first time. 

Switched from Apex Pro '16 120g S to regular apex '21 115 xs, 2 degrees flat. My misses are much better and I'm putting a much more consistent swing on all my clubs.  

I'm looking at going to the Apex as well. Currently have 710 AP2s and i already noticed better misses with a proper fitting. Current setup was bought off the shelf..

What's in the bag:

Driver: Taylormade M1 8.5 w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.5

Fairway Wood: Sim Max 3w w/ HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5

Irons: Taylormade P7MC 4-P w/ DG X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 set (50/54/58) w/ DG S400

Putter: Scotty Mil Spec 

Went from Mizuno JPX 919 Tours (Project X 6.0) to a Blended Mizuno MP-20/MMC with graphite (steelfiber i95).  Took about 5 rounds to used to the new set up so obviously my scores were a bit higher.  But after that i gained about 2-3 strokes from my iron play.

Driver (10.5): Taylormade SIM2 (Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S)
3-Wood (13.5): Taylormade SIM2 TI (Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X)
Irons (2I, 4I-7I, 8I-PW): Mizuno MP-20/MMC/HMB (Steelfiber i95 Stiff)
GW (51/11): Cleveland CBX 2 (Steelfiber i70 Stiff)
SW (56/12): Cleveland CBX Full Face (Steelfiber i70 Stiff)
LW (62/6): Cleveland ZipCore Tour Rack (Steelfiber i70 Stiff)
Putter: Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 Center Shaft
Ball: Pro V1x Left Dash

Just switched, but I'm also working on some mechanics, so we'll see.

Last switch it went down 1.5.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Played with my new irons for the first time yesterday, and my handicap went from a 5.1 to a 5.2.

Not a good trend.

My old irons were basically a junkyard build of used heads from here and shaft pulls from the shop... I had no feel for the wedges and everything else was fine... I expect once I dial the new irons in, they will improve my scores. I'm not sure by how much.

I'm doing some other things to improve my game (distance training, heads up putting, strokes gained, DECADE) so we will see what changes... I'll track my SG with my approach shots and see if it makes much of a difference... 

• Haha 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Bought GI irons (G425) and dropped from 9.0 to 7.2 😊

Most of the progress comes from the short game, but my misses are much better than with my old i20s.. 

Callaway Paradym 10.5° Hzrdus Silver 50g stiff

Ping G400 SFT 3W 16° set to 15°

Ping G400 SFT 5W 19° set to 18°

Ping G400 SFT 7W 22° set to 21°

Ping G425 6-UW

Ping Glide Forged 54°

Ping Glide Forged 56°

Ping Glide Forged 58° bent to 60°

Scotty Cameron GOLO 5R

When I did my PXG iron fitting, the fitter even said that I wouldn’t necessarily drop strokes but would enjoy playing and practicing more. The latter is definitely true. I’ve gotten a little better, but also took lessons and improved my fitness at the same time.

My putter fitting instantly helped me score better. 

Was fitted into the P770’s after playing J15 cb’s for the last 4 years. Index dropped from a 7.5 to a 3.3. Irons had something to do with it, but I have improved my fitness as well. My driving has improved (went from SIM to TSi3). Putting has also improved (no changes made).  I know the right shaft/head in my irons is a huge help, but for me it was a combination of things. 

• Like 1

Im hitting plenty of greens as I did before but my putting has gotten better as Im getting it closer to the hole....Lol 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I guess it all depends on the skill of the player and what their respective strengths and weaknesses are -

Personally I score well when putt nicely and get up and down  - super iron play may gave me a 1 or 2 shot gain per round but that can easily be writen of with a poor drive or duff chip.

I got my irons re-shafted (MP59s S300 to C-Taper Lite) - dispersion is better but not sure its made a huge impact on scores.

Whenever I am looking at puling the trigger on a new shiny set of irons I need to look at what it would improve -

But I love new shiny things.......

Taylor Made SIM max 10.5 - Aldila Rogue 110 60 s

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 - Even Flow Blue 6.0

Srixon zu85 3i / Titleist TS2 5w

Titleist TMb 4i

Mizuno Mp59 5-pw - KBS C-taper lite S

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

Hope I don't jinx myself, but so far the difference has been -4 strokes on average score. GIRs are up for sure as well.  My main problem with my previous set was random fliers that went 10-20 yards longer than expected which definitely cost me a couple strokes per round. 

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50F, 55S KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

Vokey SM9 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125x

Ping PLD Kushin 4/TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1