What specific features of putters work for you?

MPAndreassi

Over the course of the last year I’ve done a lot of putter testing. I’ve come to find what works and what doesn’t. Some of it has surprised me, other things not so much. 

Plumber’s neck blade or blade mallet styles (fang style mallets, wide blades) work best for me. I never really cared for the aesthetics of a plumber’s neck, but they work best for my stroke. I’ve learned to love the look. 

370-375g is my sweet spot. It gives me the most enough stability on shorter putts to keep the putter on line and just enough heft to lag putt as well as I can. 

Milled faces, of any variety, feel better to me than any of the inserts. I haven’t found any insert firm enough for my taste. 

Length, loft and lie. I play all of my putters at 33”, 69* lie, and 3-4* of loft. I’ve experimented with longer lengths, and counterbalance builds. None of them have produced the consistent results of just a plain old length. I’ve started to set my hands higher at address so playing a flatter lie gets me from being too toe down at impact. I’m not much of a forward presser so I don’t require too much loft. 

Alignment aids I need a line. As much as I like the look of a sight dot or nothing at all I’ve got no idea where the ball is going. Top line or flange work equally well for me. 

This is the one that I most recently noticed and really surprised me. The darker finishes with clean, white paintfill in the alignment line work significantly better for me than my stainless finish with black lines. I’m not sure exactly why, but it’s true for me. 

Being someone who loves putters, I’d love to hear some other peoples’ preferences as well. 

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

300 Mini 13.5* / Ventus Black 10x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100•s 4-9 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 46, 50 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 54, 58 / Dynamic Gold TI X100

Champion’s Choice / MC X-Firm
620 / MC X-Firm

-#1 Toe Hang 45ish

-345g-355gs

-Site Line is a Must. If not I am lost as well

-Plumber/Slant/Flow necks as long as toe hang is around what I want. Using flow neck currently seems like a combo of plumbers and slant almost to me

-Length 35", Lie 70, Loft whatever is standard on the putter

-I actually prefer TMs insert like the one on MY TP SOTO. I find it gets the ball rolling and dont have to swing as hard. Especially great for longer putts

-Milled putters just nothing that comes off dead

-Pistol Style grip with square top for thumbs up

full shat offset

lighter side for weight

site dot

Edited by PixlPutterman

Taylormade Sim 9° - Fujikura Pro 53k X

TaylorMade SLDR 17° - Red Tie 70x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X
TM HiToe 50°/54°/62° - HiRev 2.0
Mack Made Custom - KBS One Step
2016 RZN Platinum (15 dozen in the garage)

Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

No flange site line and a plumbers neck with full shaft offset have always been my lowest putting rounds. 

TSi2 8.25 Ventus Black 6TX

Tsi2 16.5 Tensei Raw White 2.0 85TX 

3 Nike Vapor Pro LAGP 105X 

4-6 T100 7-PW 620CB X100 or Miura 5-PW CB801 X7 

SM8 50.12 at 51 X100

RTX ZipCore 55 and 60 S400

Legacy Goods Powell Prototype

Titleist -ProV1X or Prov1

I think I've finally found what I like in a putter, I do like a lot of different putters but this is what I putt best with.

- Blade or wide blade w/square lines ie trail edge and toe to be squared off, bumpers can be round, square, no bumpers. 

- Material: Stainless or Carbon is just fine, don't need anything fancy unless same price.

- Milled heads.

- No inserts unless metal as well like copper.

- Feel: it all depends on mood, could do a clicky smooth face or soft deep mill. 

- Weight: 355-365g

- Length: 34.5" to 36" 

- Lie: 70-71°

- Offset: 0 to 1/2 I prefer best, full I don't mind if a flow or slant neck.

- Neck, I prefer a flow or slant, plumber I can use but not as clean, double bend doesn't get me enough toe hang.

- Toe Hang: Anything from 25° to 60° I can putt with fine. 

- Alignment: At least a flange line, can use multiple lines as well. 

- Grip: Round grip with flat top.

That's pretty much what you'll see on any new custom I order. Not many OTR putters fit that bill for me sadly. 

Edit: and one of the biggest ones, it has to sit square at address, I hate when a putter flops like a fish out of water. 

Edited by MattM97

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - NCW Boyd - and more. 

WITB Thread

took me years and many MANY putters, but i do know for a fact ARMLOCK does not work for me. ALSO flow necks such as the ODYSSEY White Hot PRO putters or similar models to Patrick Reeds set up or Matt Fitzpatrick's bettinardi. Also love the top line dash. 

I learned things that I hate for sure. Those spider putters (don't get understand them at all) 

How the putter soles might be the most important thing that determines how I get along with a putter.

When I putt, I like to basically stand into the putter when it is soled flat. I don't grip the putter and then sole it. I very lightly grip it, sole the putter flat, then take my actual grip. If the putter wants to roll closed or something when it's sitting on the ground, I simply can't use it. I need a putter that sits nice and flat and a little upright.

I'd probably really enjoy one of those Bloodline putters, but I don't see me ever going down that road.

TaylorMade Mini 300

Callaway Mavrik Max 3 wood

Cobra F9 5 Wood

Callaway Mavrik 4 hybrid

Srixon 565 5-AW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi Studio Stock 17

3 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

Over the course of the last year I’ve done a lot of putter testing. I’ve come to find what works and what doesn’t. Some of it has surprised me, other things not so much. 

Plumber’s neck blade or blade mallet styles (fang style mallets, wide blades) work best for me. I never really cared for the aesthetics of a plumber’s neck, but they work best for my stroke. I’ve learned to love the look. 

370-375g is my sweet spot. It gives me the most enough stability on shorter putts to keep the putter on line and just enough heft to lag putt as well as I can. 

Milled faces, of any variety, feel better to me than any of the inserts. I haven’t found any insert firm enough for my taste. 

Length, loft and lie. I play all of my putters at 33”, 69* lie, and 3-4* of loft. I’ve experimented with longer lengths, and counterbalance builds. None of them have produced the consistent results of just a plain old length. I’ve started to set my hands higher at address so playing a flatter lie gets me from being too toe down at impact. I’m not much of a forward presser so I don’t require too much loft. 

Alignment aids I need a line. As much as I like the look of a sight dot or nothing at all I’ve got no idea where the ball is going. Top line or flange work equally well for me. 

This is the one that I most recently noticed and really surprised me. The darker finishes with clean, white paintfill in the alignment line work significantly better for me than my stainless finish with black lines. I’m not sure exactly why, but it’s true for me. 

Being someone who loves putters, I’d love to hear some other peoples’ preferences as well. 

Same preferences here!! 

Is your wrist-to-floor measurement about 33"?

I often feel that new products are gimmicky because some of the best golf technology was invented decades ago. 

6 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

How the putter soles might be the most important thing that determines how I get along with a putter.

When I putt, I like to basically stand into the putter when it is soled flat. I don't grip the putter and then sole it. I very lightly grip it, sole the putter flat, then take my actual grip. If the putter wants to roll closed or something when it's sitting on the ground, I simply can't use it. I need a putter that sits nice and flat and a little upright.

I'd probably really enjoy one of those Bloodline putters, but I don't see me ever going down that road.

Yup I never realized how big that is until you try a putter that just likes to open or close. My last 2 putters sole perfectly and have no urge to open or close, I'm hoping the 2 I have incoming do the same. 

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - NCW Boyd - and more. 

WITB Thread

Center shaft (zero offset)

34.5" length

milled head, no inserts (except for Yes!)

wide blade or mid mallet preferred

no satin finish

Fall 2021

Cobra King F6+ 1W 10.5° (orange) Diamana D+ 62

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4W 16.5° Rogue White 70

Callaway Mavrik Pro 3Hy KBS Hybrid 80

Callaway Apex 19 4Hy 23° EvenFlow Black 85

Callaway 2018 X-Forged 5i-7i / Apex MB 8i-PW Modus 120

Mizuno S18 51.08 56.10 60.10 DG Wedge

Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 CS / Piretti Cottonwood II CS

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

1 hour ago, nvr3putt said:

Same preferences here!! 

Is your wrist-to-floor measurement about 33"?

I often feel that new products are gimmicky because some of the best golf technology was invented decades ago. 

Ive never measured it to be honest. I’ll check when I get home. But it would make sense with putter length 

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

300 Mini 13.5* / Ventus Black 10x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100•s 4-9 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 46, 50 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 54, 58 / Dynamic Gold TI X100

Champion’s Choice / MC X-Firm
620 / MC X-Firm

Flowneck

Blade or Blade with Fangs.

Milled Face

34/350-360

Line(s)

Bettinardi 3.0.jpg

• Like 1

Taylormade SLDR TP 430 JDM 10*         Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

TE Exotics CBX-119 3WD 15*                   Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 3                   Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA CB57 4-7                                       MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001 8-P                                   MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61                       MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 34/350 (A010656)

380 headweight

Bullseye/ blade shape

1/2 shaft offset

Darker finish

67* lie angle

no more than 5-10* toe hang prefer face balance. 
39” 

No preference on site line but minimal if any. 

SRIXON ZX5 9.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 60X.                                              SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               SRIXON H85 16 MATRIX BLACKTIE 95 SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                   CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0                                         CLEVELAND RTX4 58* CATALYST 100 6.0.                                             SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

Other than what my specs are, my latest I went Lamont MA/55 style with a slant neck and trying 330ish and am really liking it so far. Like what it does for my stroke. Also added a 1/2 inch - I guess that more of a “fit” vs. preference, but my back and where I found my grip position settling in both were telling me to try a tad more length and that’s been great. 

Had been on the mallet train for too long I’ve discovered. 

Edited by Hawkeye77

It has to sit on the ground without wanting to move around.

Taylormade 16 M2 9.5º (Tensei Orange R flex)

Taylormade 17 M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage S flex)

Taylormade 05 FCT Rescues 21º (20º), 23.5º (24º) (Aldila RIP 85 S flex)

PING G25 5-SW (PING CFS S)

Titleist Vokey SM6 60.12 K

Odyssey Original White Hot Pro #7.

No glove and Lamkin Crossline Blacks

Hndp 6.4

23 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

I recently found that one with no line on top helps...I had a spider x face balanced with the long line and I think i relied too much on it rather than what my eyes were telling me. I went to a 2 ball ten with no line and have been making everything.

- 360 to 380 Gram head weight

- 31 inch length

- 71 degree lie angle

- 1/2 to 3/4 off set

- 35 to 55 degree toe hang

- 3 degrees of loft

- Pro Only red star grip

- Bumpers or fangs to frame the ball

- prefer no sight lines on the top line or in the bumpers / fangs (but I can look past them if they are subtle)

- milled face

On 7/26/2021 at 9:30 AM, MPAndreassi said:

We have a lot in common. I'm also getting used to a plumber's neck after years of avoiding them because of aesthetics. I also agree that alignment is much better with dark finishes and white paintfill, although my current putter (Nike MC02W) is stainless with black paintfill. 

My backup is a center shafted blade (Scotty Newport 2.6), but if I could find a LAB Blade for a reasonable price I think I'd pull the trigger on one. 

• Like 1

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: Taylormade M6 ~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-WL, Titleist Vokey 60 ~ Cleveland HB 11

35" length

Face-balance

No neck

Reasonably rounded bumpers

Softened edges

Sightline (either top rail or flange)

330 - 350 gram head weight

69* lie angle

Matte/muted finish

Little/no stamping

GP Pro Only Red Star grip

Edited by 14max

*Datrek Superlite Stand *

Driver PING G400 Max (10.5*)

Fairway Wood Callaway Steelhead XR  (18*); Hybrid Callaway Steelhead XR (22*)

Irons PING Eye2 (4-PW); Wedge PING Eye2 XG (SW)

Putter PING Karsten 1959 Anser X (35")

* Datrek Superlite Cart *

Driver PING Rapture (10.5*)

Fairway Woods Callaway Great Big Bertha Hawk Eye (18*, 21*)

Irons PING ISI-S (4-SW)

Putter PING Anser X (35")