Jump to content

Golf cost as in junior national golf.


Recommended Posts

Here so much about the high cost actually keeps the poor out of the game. Question: Would your family have been able to afford golf at that level ? Explain

 

my answer is absolutely not. My mom and dad were of lower middle class earnings. They couldn’t and I don’t feel like I missed anything. If I had the talent ? Even if I did I would never mention it to them. I was lucky enough to be born last in my family and a 7 and 12 year gap between me and the 4 others and dad started golfing with me at 16.
 

  I cannot feel sorry for someone who’s family didn’t have the money to afford them a spot on a National setting as a child. It should motivate them to preserve. Rant done.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Here so much about the high cost actually keeps the poor out of the game. Question: Would your family have been able to afford golf at that level ? Explain

 

my answer is absolutely not. My mom and dad were of lower middle class earnings. They couldn’t and I don’t feel like I missed anything. If I had the talent ? Even if I did I would never mention it to them. I was lucky enough to be born last in my family and a 7 and 12 year gap between me and the 4 others and dad started golfing with me at 16.
 

  I cannot feel sorry for someone who’s family didn’t have the money to afford them a spot on a National setting as a child. It should motivate them to preserve. Rant done.


golf at that level, and all sports with travel leagues, are about separating parents from their money. All are absolute rackets. If a kid is good enough to play in college, then HS and local events will be plenty. The difference between those that belonged at the next level and everyone else when I was in high school was so great it was obvious no amount of coaching or camps or travel teams was going to make a difference. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, klebs01 said:


golf at that level, and all sports with travel leagues, are about separating parents from their money. All are absolute rackets. If a kid is good enough to play in college, then HS and local events will be plenty. The difference between those that belonged at the next level and everyone else when I was in high school was so great it was obvious no amount of coaching or camps or travel teams was going to make a difference. 

From what I've heard, golf is one of the few sports where HS playing doesn't matter.   If the junior wants to get noticed, they must play nationally by themselves, where college coaches will show up.  Only Exception is if your school is surrounded by talent and can take the team to State.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, mrshinsa said:

  If the junior wants to get noticed, they must play nationally by themselves, where college coaches will show up.  Only Exception is if your school is surrounded by talent and can take the team to State.  

 

If a junior player is truly college D1 level he will win the junior tournaments and amateur tournaments within his regional area, and that is enough to earn a D1 scholarship to even the strongest college programs. To earn a D1 scholarship and, or, attract the attention of college coaches it is not necessary to travel long distances and, or, play National junior tournaments.

For example, if a junior player from Colorado wins lots of his local/regional area junior tournaments, finishes high and , or, wins the Colorado Amateur or Colorado Open, has a tournaments coring average of 71 etc... he can get a full scholarship to Oklahoma State, UCLA, Georgia, or any other top college program.

  • Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fairway14 said:

 

If a junior player is truly college D1 level he will win the junior tournaments and amateur tournaments within his regional area, and that is enough to earn a D1 scholarship to even the strongest college programs. To earn a D1 scholarship and, or, attract the attention of college coaches it is not necessary to travel long distances and, or, play National junior tournaments.

For example, if a junior player from Colorado wins lots of his local/regional area junior tournaments, finishes high and , or, wins the Colorado Amateur or Colorado Open, has a tournaments coring average of 71 etc... he can get a full scholarship to Oklahoma State, UCLA, Georgia, or any other top college program.

 

It literally took thousands of hours of practices and many many tournaments for a kids to grow into that type of skills. And everything costs money. 

 

I don't think junior golf is more expensive than other junior sports. And I'm graceful for programs like Youth on Course that make golf accessible to my kid. On the other hand, if I save & invest the money from all the practices/tournaments, I probably can bank roll a scholarship for my kid. LOL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, klebs01 said:


golf at that level, and all sports with travel leagues, are about separating parents from their money. All are absolute rackets. If a kid is good enough to play in college, then HS and local events will be plenty. The difference between those that belonged at the next level and everyone else when I was in high school was so great it was obvious no amount of coaching or camps or travel teams was going to make a difference. 

Eh I agree with half and disagree with half. If you are good enough to be a professional it will not matter what your exposure level is. One way or another you will be a pro. 
 

But exposure and playing national events 100% matters when it comes down to what colleges are interested in you. 
 

Grew up with a kid that was a good b-ball player. Played for a high school that had middling team success and didn’t travel with an AAU team in the summer. Ended up with a decent amount of low/mid major offers and ended up committing to a school in the horizon league. 4 years later he was selected in the first round of the nba draft. Had the kid played more travel ball growing up he certainly would have had power 5 offers and played at a big time program. 
 

It’s no coincidence that the top ranked high school qbs are always the ones that can afford to travel around the country for showcases and camps. for both golf and basketball high school success doesn’t matter. Baseball has gotten that way as well with tournys/invites like perfect game. Stop watch sports are different when you're not really competing against an opponent per say. I would be curious if there are any golfers in the lineup at top 25 programs that didn’t play at least 1 AJGA tournament during high school. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Here so much about the high cost actually keeps the poor out of the game. Question: Would your family have been able to afford golf at that level ? Explain

 

my answer is absolutely not. My mom and dad were of lower middle class earnings. They couldn’t and I don’t feel like I missed anything. If I had the talent ? Even if I did I would never mention it to them. I was lucky enough to be born last in my family and a 7 and 12 year gap between me and the 4 others and dad started golfing with me at 16.
 

  I cannot feel sorry for someone who’s family didn’t have the money to afford them a spot on a National setting as a child. It should motivate them to preserve. Rant done.

 

This post makes no sense.  Politically/fiscally I am a right leaning moderate, but jeez, what is your issue?  

 

So you learned to play golf with your siblings and your dad and you are now a 12 handicap?  What does this have to do with elite kids playing at a high level either regionally or nationally.  Like others have said, the club/travel business is huge and for a vast majority, it is just an expensive activity.  My daughter plays travel soccer because she loves playing, she wants to play in high school but has no interest in playing in college.  Yes it is expensive and we can have an entire thread on the benefits and negatives of that industry.

 

As @klebs01 said, 99.5% of the travel sports industry is a money grab, but the kids love doing it and it costs ~$5k/year.  We are lucky enough to be able to comfortably afford that cost.  The team also has a few need based spots that are covered through fees and fundraisers.

 

However, most sports, especially team sports, outside of football rely on the national/regional circuit to evaluate elite players.  Soccer, basketball, baseball, tennis, softball, volleyball, swimming, etc.  I have several friends who have kids that have played at Division 1 schools who would not have had that opportunity had they only played on the high school team.  In fact, a few of them actually did not even go to a traditional high school, they went to a hybrid sports/school academy where they get the curriculum they need but also have 2-3 practices a day.  I am not saying this is a good or bad thing, but it is the reality.

 

If there is a kid who learns though the First Tee or some other grassroots organization and shows great promise, but his parents are unable to afford coaches or equipment or access for whatever reason, your thought process is "Well the world needs ditchdiggers too"?  

 

Tough crowd.

 

 

Edited by david.c.w
spelling
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seeing this first hand with my brother in law. Wins all his HS tournaments and local competitions, but did not start getting D1 phone calls until he won an AJGA tournament. College coaches don't care too much about how you do in your HS tournaments it seems. The best players all play "national" level tournaments so that's what they pay attention to. 

Edited by aramirez24
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, david.c.w said:

 

This post makes no sense.  Politically/fiscally I am a right leaning moderate, but jeez, what is your issue?  

 

So you learned to play golf with your siblings and your dad and you are now a 12 handicap?  What does this have to do with elite kids playing at a high level either regionally or nationally.  Like others have said, the club/travel business is huge and for a vast majority, it is just an expensive activity.  My daughter plays travel soccer because she loves playing, she wants to play in high school but has no interest in playing in college.  Yes it is expensive and we can have an entire thread on the benefits and negatives of that industry.

 

As @klebs01 said, 99.5% of the travel sports industry is a money grab, but the kids love doing it and it costs ~$5k/year.  We are lucky enough to be able to comfortably afford that cost.  The team also has a few need based spots that are covered through fees and fundraisers.

 

However, most sports, especially team sports, outside of football rely on the national/regional circuit to evaluate elite players.  Soccer, basketball, baseball, tennis, softball, volleyball, swimming, etc.  I have several friends who have kids that have played at Division 1 schools who would not have had that opportunity had they only played on the high school team.  In fact, a few of them actually did not even go to a traditional high school, they went to a hybrid sports/school academy where they get the curriculum they need but also have 2-3 practices a day.  I am not saying this is a good or bad thing, but it is the reality.

 

If there is a kid who learns though the First Tee or some other grassroots organization and shows great promise, but his parents are unable to afford coaches or equipment or access for whatever reason, your thought process is "Well the world needs ditchdiggers too"?  

 

Tough crowd.

 

 

Not really tough. Love the first tee initiative. Never said anything about ditch diggers . What the post is about people who say their background kept them down . I’d say no , your talent for the game keeps you down. I see people like Trevino, Finau, Champ, schueffle and others who overcame the perceived need to compete at the national level. You look at the juniors at the national level and see a lot of burnout . That’s all this was about. Also I was the only son that got to play golf with dad in my teens. Only one brother took up the game later in life.

  • Like 1

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, aramirez24 said:

Seeing this first hand with my brother in law. Wins all his HS tournaments and local competitions, but did not start getting D1 phone calls until he won an AJGA tournament. College coaches don't care too much about how you do in your HS tournaments it seems. The best players all play "national" level tournaments so that's what they pay attention to. 

That might be a detriment to the college system. But  They also look at results from the state high school championships here. If You can compete there they will take you. Know that from a girl in our hometown. She decided on D2 instead though. She wasn’t comfortable going to a big school.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, NoTalentLefty said:

That might be a detriment to the college system. But  They also look at results from the state high school championships here. If You can compete there they will take you. Know that from a girl in our hometown. She decided on D2 instead though. She wasn’t comfortable going to a big school.

Yep I agree you have to back it up with your school tournaments, but that's something they look at after they see you doing something in the better fields. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Not really tough. Love the first tee initiative. Never said anything about ditch diggers . What the post is about people who say their background kept them down . I’d say no , your talent for the game keeps you down. I see people like Trevino, Finau, Champ, schueffle and others who overcame the perceived need to compete at the national level. You look at the juniors at the national level and see a lot of burnout . That’s all this was about. Also I was the only son that got to play golf with dad in my teens. Only one brother took up the game later in life.

 

What is your measure of success?  Top 50 touring pro?  D1 college player?  Mid-am qualifier?  Winner of flight 2 of the club championship?  

 

If your point is that anyone can make it if they work hard enough, I don't disagree, there are always people that beat the odds.   But your examples are not very compelling.  Finau won the state am at 16, turned pro at 17 and starting grinding through the mini tours.  Schauffele won the California state championship.   These are incredible feats, not just winning your class AAA region tournament.  Plus it seems these days nearly 1/2 of the folks on a college team are international.  At OSU 8 out of 13 guys are from outside the US.  Ok, this is a big D1 powerhouse.  Lets look at tiny Augusta University where Patrick Reed went, 6 of 9 are international.  Yes, you can find other teams that are all white kids (Texas), but the point is that just playing high school golf will not get you very far.  You have to compete with both national players AND international players.

 

You are naive to think that simply playing well on a high school team will afford you the opportunity to succeed at the college or pro level.  For every example of that there are 50 examples of someone who had a pro for a father, or lived at the country club, or was part of a nationally sponsored junior program.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

 

What is your measure of success?  Top 50 touring pro?  D1 college player?  Mid-am qualifier?  Winner of flight 2 of the club championship?  

 

If your point is that anyone can make it if they work hard enough, I don't disagree, there are always people that beat the odds.   But your examples are not very compelling.  Finau won the state am at 16, turned pro at 17 and starting grinding through the mini tours.  Schauffele won the California state championship.   These are incredible feats, not just winning your class AAA region tournament.  Plus it seems these days nearly 1/2 of the folks on a college team are international.  At OSU 8 out of 13 guys are from outside the US.  Ok, this is a big D1 powerhouse.  Lets look at tiny Augusta University where Patrick Reed went, 6 of 9 are international.  Yes, you can find other teams that are all white kids (Texas), but the point is that just playing high school golf will not get you very far.  You have to compete with both national players AND international players.

 

You are naive to think that simply playing well on a high school team will afford you the opportunity to succeed at the college or pro level.  For every example of that there are 50 examples of someone who had a pro for a father, or lived at the country club, or was part of a nationally sponsored junior program.

 

 

 

Naive ? Not nice. It can happen but even the way you explained finau but never got much out of his home state competing. Family couldn’t afford the National Jr. tour. Schueffle the same thing. That’s what I’m talking about. Kids don’t have to play on the National Jr tour to get recognition.  Stayed within their own states and were recognized. I said if they did well at the state high school championship level they will be recognized. Saw and seen it. 

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Naive ? Not nice. It can happen but even the way you explained finau but never got much out of his home state competing. Family couldn’t afford the National Jr. tour. Schueffle the same thing. That’s what I’m talking about. Kids don’t have to play on the National Jr tour to get recognition.  Stayed within their own states and were recognized. I said if they did well at the state high school championship level they will be recognized. Saw and seen it. 

 

Yep, not saying it can't or won't happen.  You are implying that anyone should be able to only play locally and succeed at the highest level.  It can and has happened, just not for the majority.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Naive ? Not nice. It can happen but even the way you explained finau but never got much out of his home state competing. Family couldn’t afford the National Jr. tour. Schueffle the same thing. That’s what I’m talking about. Kids don’t have to play on the National Jr tour to get recognition.  Stayed within their own states and were recognized. I said if they did well at the state high school championship level they will be recognized. Saw and seen it. 

You are talking about tour level stuff.  Do you even understand the current recruiting landscape?

 

With Covid it's a mess for any 2021s left.  2022 is a mess and it's looking better for 2023.

 

Only playing HS level you're not getting much exposure.  If you're lucky you might get the local D3.

 

Coaches don't usually show up to tournaments.  Only been to three events that had coaches.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

High School Golf is considered a Joke and it's well known that they play fast and loose with the rules. It's also expected that most them just picked up a club.  You have some pockets where there is good golf  and rules are followed because the kids are good but the average high school golf tournament is not very good.

 

I also don't think there is a state in the country that doesn't have at least 2 or 3 good tournaments a year that a kid can enter and if they win will be recognized by a lot people. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere  you will have too many options to play within 6-8 hours drive.

 

Costs add up but we are not really talking about huge money for the average junior golfer.   Every sport travels so not really a big deal there.  Golf is a good value because it usually the whole weekend at tournaments.  Try going to disney for the weekend and see what that costs you.

 

Edited by tiger1873
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Naive ? Not nice. It can happen but even the way you explained finau but never got much out of his home state competing. Family couldn’t afford the National Jr. tour. Schueffle the same thing. That’s what I’m talking about. Kids don’t have to play on the National Jr tour to get recognition.  Stayed within their own states and were recognized. I said if they did well at the state high school championship level they will be recognized. Saw and seen it. 

 

The issue with just playing regional or just local tournaments is how do you know that the kid can score in different areas of the country???  You don't unless they played there.

 

if those players didn't compete with each other how to do compare a Person who can score 68 in florida vs someone in California or Texas? College teams travel so they need to know the skillset will travel with them.  Some players can't play in different states.

 

So if you only played local stuff their really taking a chance on you.  If you played well I am sure someone will take a chance but it does limit your options.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The kids playing Nationally at the Elite Level aren't paying a dime to do so.  About the only thing they have to worry about is paying for a coach.

 

If you are in a State like California, Texas, or Florida you don't need to travel nationally to get noticed.  All the colleges are watching those tours.  You can play those circuits and be fine.  There are regional events like the SEJGT that run a lot of events in Georgia, Bama, and other South Eastern States that are a really good tour colleges know about.  Hurricane is hit and miss.  In certain areas Hurricane is really good.  In Florida they are a second tier Tour because of field size.  They are expensive, but play better courses for the most part than FJT and SFPGA.

 

Kids are not getting recruited from High School at the D2 and D1 levels.  Even at the Top end of D3 and JUCO  they are not recruiting HS only players.

 

A person that is paying their own way to play Regional and state events are spending at a minimum 10K a year on golf.

 

If you really want a scholarship to school, maintain a weighted GPA above 4.0 and score 1400 on your SAT.  D2, D3, NAIA, Juco can actually offer more money than a D1 if a kid has the grades to back it up.

 

 

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 5:44 PM, Medson said:

 

It literally took thousands of hours of practices and many many tournaments for a kids to grow into that type of skills. And everything costs money. 

 

 

Not really. For example, in exchange for working some hour at the golf course (pro shop, cart barn, range etc...)  kids can usually receive free range balls and play for free at their local course. And typically within 200 miles of one's home there is enough junior and amateur tournaments for the junior to establish himself/herself as a D1 caliber skill level player. College coaches want to see a respectable academic  GPA and a low scoring average for tournament play. The tournaments can include city, county,  and state amateur, state Open pro events etc...  This level of competition on championship level courses is more than sufficient to satisfy a D1 college coach. 

The AJGA and, or, other "National junior Tours" is a money making business for the promoters and not in any way a prerequisite for playing collegiate golf.

  • Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 7:05 PM, Fairway14 said:

 

 

For example, if a junior player from Colorado wins lots of his local/regional area junior tournaments, finishes high and , or, wins the Colorado Amateur or Colorado Open, has a tournaments coring average of 71 etc... he can get a full scholarship to Oklahoma State, UCLA, Georgia, or any other top college program.

This is not true.  A.  Very few ever get a Full Ride unless Great Grades are combined.  B. Okie State, UGA and the other top programs are recruiting the best of the best.  

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also state golf associations as well as other programs help fund juniors playing at a national level.  For instance the FSGA have a good chunk to one of my students to cover expenses playing in the US Women’s Open this year.  The AJGA Invitationals you have a travel stipend to help cover cost.  If you’re good enough you can get financial assistance to play at the National level

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, iteachgolf said:

Also state golf associations as well as other programs help fund juniors playing at a national level.  For instance the FSGA have a good chunk to one of my students to cover expenses playing in the US Women’s Open this year.  The AJGA Invitationals you have a travel stipend to help cover cost.  If you’re good enough you can get financial assistance to play at the National level

 

FSGA gave money to 2  Chinese National girls and a Girl from Germany so don't count on them helping americans or even local kids from florida.  They also gave money to  2 Chinese National Boys and possible a few other kids from other countries.

 

 

I am glad it went to some local girls and boys but I have to believe there is plenty of local kids they could have found instead international kid who may have already gotten money from their own countries.

 

 These girls list hometowns in Germany and China when they play anything not FJT and this includes USGA and AJGA events.   So they do not deserve any money from FSGA. In truth they they should have been DQ in a few events that required residency that used to qualify for the money.

 

FSGA has a lot issues  and don't seem to care about a lot things especially when it comes to girls so I do not count on them for anything anymore.

 

https://www.fsga.org/sections/content/2021-Team-Florida/1180

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 10:32 AM, tiger1873 said:

High School Golf is considered a Joke and it's well known that they play fast and loose with the rules. It's also expected that most them just picked up a club.  You have some pockets where there is good golf  and rules are followed because the kids are good but the average high school golf tournament is not very good.

 

I also don't think there is a state in the country that doesn't have at least 2 or 3 good tournaments a year that a kid can enter and if they win will be recognized by a lot people. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere  you will have too many options to play within 6-8 hours drive.

 

Costs add up but we are not really talking about huge money for the average junior golfer.   Every sport travels so not really a big deal there.  Golf is a good value because it usually the whole weekend at tournaments.  Try going to disney for the weekend and see what that costs you.

 

It might be considered a "joke" as you put it, but both of my kids loved their experience.

"It's also expected that most them just picked up a club."  Probably staying on the driving range the whole season.

" it's well known that they play fast and loose with the rules." this is on the coach and other players.  Our coach had a zero tolerance rule.

 

If you are truly looking at playing in college.  Explain to that coach why you didn't play on your HS team.

 

You: "It was a joke and everyone cheated." Coach: "Next!"

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tiger1873 said:

 

FSGA gave money to 2  Chinese National girls and a Girl from Germany so don't count on them helping americans or even local kids from florida.  They also gave money to  2 Chinese National Boys and possible a few other kids from other countries.

 

 

I am glad it went to some local girls and boys but I have to believe there is plenty of local kids they could have found instead international kid who may have already gotten money from their own countries.

 

 These girls list hometowns in Germany and China when they play anything not FJT and this includes USGA and AJGA events.   So they do not deserve any money from FSGA. In truth they they should have been DQ in a few events that required residency that used to qualify for the money.

 

FSGA has a lot issues  and don't seem to care about a lot things especially when it comes to girls so I do not count on them for anything anymore.

 

https://www.fsga.org/sections/content/2021-Team-Florida/1180

 

There is very poor leadership at the FSGA right now.  It is a shame because there are some really good people that work there.  At the top, however, they are failing miserably.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

It might be considered a "joke" as you put it, but both of my kids loved their experience.

"It's also expected that most them just picked up a club."  Probably staying on the driving range the whole season.

" it's well known that they play fast and loose with the rules." this is on the coach and other players.  Our coach had a zero tolerance rule.

 

If you are truly looking at playing in college.  Explain to that coach why you didn't play on your HS team.

 

You: "It was a joke and everyone cheated." Coach: "Next!"

 

Most coaches I don't think care one bit about High School golf.  At every college camp session I sent my kids  they tell everyone you need to play events outside of high school golf. 

 

Play High School golf for fun and there  nothing wrong with that.    Some schools might be better then others but in most cases it's more of way to introduce golf to kids then about actually having high end competition.

 

Everyone knows this a lot kids never even bother playing HS golf because they are playing junior tournaments year round and they do not want to have bail on the team. Other feel like they need to play it. No correct answer on this just do what makes sense.

Edited by tiger1873
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

 

Most coaches I don't think care one bit about High School golf.  At every camp I ever been at they tell everyone you need to play events outside of high school golf. 

 

Play if for fun but and nothing wrong with that.   Just don't expect anything.

 

That doesn't mean HS golf is a joke.  

 

HS golf in Florida is very competitive at the high levels.  Most of the kids in the state that are good, do play HS golf.  Palm Beach County does not have great Public HS programs.  There are several that are highly regarded Private Schools in the golf world.  

 

Coaches do not care about 9 hole after school matches where the max score is 10.  That is 100% accurate.  They are not recruiting kids based solely on HS scores is also true.  They will show up to matches if they are trying to land a kid.  They will look at Invitationals where the top schools are playing if they are included in resumes.  The Coaches will also recruit these invitationals if time allows.  I have run into the college coaches (FSU, UF, USF, UCF, and others) at Regional and State matches on the girl's and boy's side. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

 

Most coaches I don't think care one bit about High School golf.  At every college camp session I sent my kids  they tell everyone you need to play events outside of high school golf. 

 

Play High School golf for fun and there  nothing wrong with that.    Some schools might be better then others but in most cases it's more of way to introduce golf to kids then about actually having high end competition.

 

Everyone knows this a lot kids never even bother playing HS golf because they are playing junior tournaments year round and they do not want to have bail on the team. Other feel like they need to play it. No correct answer on this just do what makes sense.

A lot of assumptions.  Do you know Coaches?  Cause boy you seem to know alot of ppl. sigh.  Every coach we visited with asked about high season.

Its the one chance to be on a team in a individual sport.

 

As @heavy_hitter mentioned they don't care about the 9 hole matches.  District, Regional, and States is what they look at.

 

You can play events outside of high school golf (during the season). 

Edited by TripleBogeysrbetter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

A lot of assumptions.  Do you know Coaches?  Cause boy you seem to know alot of ppl. sigh.  Every coach we visited with asked about high season.

Its the one chance to be on a team in a individual sport.

 

As @heavy_hitter mentioned they don't care about the 9 hole matches.  District, Regional, and States is what they look at.

 

You can play events outside of high school golf (during the season). 

 

 

I have been to multiple college camps where the topic of high school golf always comes up.  They all say the same thing. Sure if there trying to recruit someone and they know there yes they might show up.  But there not recruiting anyone because they had a good run playing high school golf without something else to back it up.   

 

 And honestly if you think it worth it playing high school golf have fun. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

 

 

I have been to multiple college camps where the topic of high school golf always comes up.  They all say the same thing. Sure if there trying to recruit someone and they know there yes they might show up.  But there not recruiting anyone because they had a good run playing high school golf without something else to back it up.   

 

 And honestly if you think it worth it playing high school golf have fun. 

Actually, not true.  I have seen, more on the girl's side than guys, a lot of coaches show up to the state HS tournament.  Might be more from out of state than in state.  It won't be the Big D1's, but they are recruiting HS to some degree.  NAIA will take a kid based only on HS golf.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 Fortinet Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #8
       
       
      New Ping putter - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      New Bettinardi putters & Cover - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Ping Putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Cameron putter and new ball marker - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
      Sneds - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Peter Uihlein - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Charles Howell, III - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Scott Piercy - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Brandan Steele - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Mito Pereira - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Kevin Tway - WITB -2021 Fortinet Championship
      Joseph Bramlett - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
       
      • 19 replies
    • 2021 Tour Championship - Discussion and Comments
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Tour Championship
      LA Golf putter shafts - 2021 Tour Championship
       
       
       
      • 25 replies
    • 2021 BMW Championship - Discussion and Links
      Put any questions of comments here
       
       
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #7
       
       
      Cameron T-11 & T-11.5 putters at 2021 BMW Championship
      Mizuno Pro FliHi and 225 irons - 2021 BMW CHampionship
       
       
       
      • 18 replies
    • 2021 Ping i59 irons & Glide Forged wedges in hand comparison pics!!!
      In hand pics of the new 2021 Ping i59 irons and Glide Forged wedges...
       

       
      Ping i59 7 iron
       

       
       
      Ping i59 PW
       

       
      Ping i59 Comparison Photos

       

       

       

       
       
       
       
      PING Glide Forged Wedges

       
      Ping Glide Eye Toe Wedge
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 100 replies
    • 2021 The Northern Trust - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #1
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #2
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #3
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #4
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #5
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #6
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #7
       
       
      New Cameron for JT - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Cameron putters for Garrick Higgo - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Odyssey putter covers - 2021 The Northern Trust
       
       
      • 6 replies

×
×
  • Create New...