Jump to content

The great 3w battle of 2021


getitdaily
 Share

Recommended Posts

Stz has been great for me. I never seem to be able to find a 3w I like. 
 

Need to find a more stable shaft and I think it will be perfect. That will be an off season thing though 

Taylormade Sim2 (set at 8.25*)Fuji ventus black 6x

Mizuno STZ 3w 14* atmos black 6x

Srixon zx 3 iron recoil 95x 
Srixon z945 4-PW PX6.5 
Cleveland RTX4 50/54/58 s400 TI
Oddessey 7CS Tour 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Kale_m said:

Stz has been great for me. I never seem to be able to find a 3w I like. 
 

Need to find a more stable shaft and I think it will be perfect. That will be an off season thing though 

It is the favorite right now. I've already listed the tsi3. Tsi3 has an extra gear over stz but stz goes the same distance regardless of where strike is on the face. Just a great combo of length and distance. Sim2 max arrives soon. It has its work cut out for it...it'll need to be special. The stz doesn't go left...at all. 

Edited by getitdaily
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, this battle is going to be anti-climactic. Sim2 max 3w a came in and it sits closed. I only bought it because the ones in the store didnt appear that closed. Chalk one up to manuf tolerances. 

 

The stz will be in the bag. Perhaps I'll look for a tour issue tm "max" head and still see what's up. But the stz is doing everything I want. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Well, this battle is going to be anti-climactic. Sim2 max 3w a came in and it sits closed. I only bought it because the ones in the store didnt appear that closed. Chalk one up to manuf tolerances. 

 

The stz will be in the bag. Perhaps I'll look for a tour issue tm "max" head and still see what's up. But the stz is doing everything I want. 

So buy one from the store? Put your shaft in it. Done 

Taylormade Sim2 (set at 8.25*)Fuji ventus black 6x

Mizuno STZ 3w 14* atmos black 6x

Srixon zx 3 iron recoil 95x 
Srixon z945 4-PW PX6.5 
Cleveland RTX4 50/54/58 s400 TI
Oddessey 7CS Tour 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Kale_m said:

So buy one from the store? Put your shaft in it. Done 

Nah. I'm 95% sure the stz is it. It'll be in the bag for a 2day event this weekend. If it performs like it has the last week and a half then I have nothing to complain about. 

 

Assuming the stz locks the spot down, I think I've found my preference for fairways and hybrids. The same setup that is really working well in my hybrid is working in the stz...upright lie and open face. 3w upright no more than 58. So if I wanted to go tour issue in the future, I think I have my desired specs. 

 

But again, there's no real reason to dump the stz. I had just already purchased the tsi3 and sim2 max before I locked in on the stz. That little bit of start line on consistency seems to have been resolved with a small tweak to swingweight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Nah. I'm 95% sure the stz is it. It'll be in the bag for a 2day event this weekend. If it performs like it has the last week and a half then I have nothing to complain about. 

 

Assuming the stz locks the spot down, I think I've found my preference for fairways and hybrids. The same setup that is really working well in my hybrid is working in the stz...upright lie and open face. 3w upright no more than 58. So if I wanted to go tour issue in the future, I think I have my desired specs. 

 

But again, there's no real reason to dump the stz. I had just already purchased the tsi3 and sim2 max before I locked in on the stz. That little bit of start line on consistency seems to have been resolved with a small tweak to swingweight. 

What shaft do you have in the STZ? I have the 3 and 5 in the Motore f3 but that shaft is not a match for me. 

Edited by uglande
Typo

TM Sim2 Speeder 757x VII || TM 300 Mini Ventus Blue 7x || TM Sim2 5w Ventus Blue 7x || Mizuno Mp20 4-9 Modus 120 || Vokey Sm8 46f 50f 54d 60d Modus 120 || Ping Tyne 4 || Titleist Pro V1 || Golf Pride CP2 Wrap/Pro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a TM fan and preferred woods guy, there's 1 thing I've come to believe in this 3wood search and my 2 yr run through hybrids....

 

@TaylorMade Golf needs to find a way to put an adjustable hosel on their "max" type fairways and hybrids. Assuming this stz 3w takes over that spot in my bag, I'll be TM for driver only. Ts2 hybrid and stz 3w. The lack of adjustability in the more forgiving models of fairway and hybrids is a turn off when you have players like mizuno and titleist who do have that. I'm willing to bet that sim2 max would be in my bag if I had the option to open the face and get lie under 58.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

As a TM fan and preferred woods guy, there's 1 thing I've come to believe in this 3wood search and my 2 yr run through hybrids....

 

@TaylorMade Golf needs to find a way to put an adjustable hosel on their "max" type fairways and hybrids. Assuming this stz 3w takes over that spot in my bag, I'll be TM for driver only. Ts2 hybrid and stz 3w. The lack of adjustability in the more forgiving models of fairway and hybrids is a turn off when you have players like mizuno and titleist who do have that. I'm willing to bet that sim2 max would be in my bag if I had the option to open the face and get lie under 58.

Well adjustability is definitely possible in the max fairways. My guess is that not offering it is a way for them to cut costs..

05DB59BD-D338-43B8-9E9C-1CBDA9C0C177.jpeg

Driver-TM M6 9* Atmos Black TS 7s

3w-Sim 2 Max 15* Atmos Black TS 7s 

5w-Mizuno ST190 18* Atmos Black TS 7s

Irons-TM M5 4-PW XP-100 S300

Wedges-Ping Glide 2.0 54* & 58*

Putter-Scotty Golo Black

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Wedge Ninja said:

Well adjustability is definitely possible in the max fairways. My guess is that not offering it is a way for them to cut costs..

05DB59BD-D338-43B8-9E9C-1CBDA9C0C177.jpeg

Yeah, fitters have the adjustable heads. I hit it when they came out. I'm not sure why they haven't done it yet. Maybe they wanted some data on how much people want it...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2021 at 8:30 PM, Duffner's Waggle said:

Just be careful. It's a deep, dark hole and the climb out takes it out of ya....

 

I spent so much time, money, energy on 3 woods it was honestly insane. I was averaging like one round and two range sessions per club before moving on to the next. Pretty sure at one point in time, there were like 4 boxes with 3 woods in them that showed up to my door at the same time. I'd forgotten I even bought a couple of em. 

 

Truth be told, the best I ever hit in my life was a Titleist 915Fd with Aldila Tour Green 75X.....gah that thing was sweet! One day at the range I took a swing, and the head went flying. Snapped right above the hosel. Titleist replaced it, but it was never the same.  

 

Currently own the Tsi3 with Diamana D+ 70X (also have a Ventus Velo Blue....going back and forth between the two). 

 

The question I ultimately had to answer was what did I use the 3w for and how often would I hit it realistically? I had a Stenson mentality. I LOVED hitting 3w, especially off the tee. The problem was I started chasing distance because it was a tee only club, and I didn't hit it a ton shorter than my driver, so I could never ultimately find one I was happy with because I thought they should all be going 300 yards. (What can I say? I was young and dumb). 

 

I will tell you this about the Tsi3....it is low spin off the tee and hits piercing missiles that seem to carry forever. If you like long and straight, it's a good one. Like the Tsi3 driver though, it isn't the most forgiving thing. 

I finally decided that I wanted 250 out of my 3w. I didn't need 285-300 yards from it. That's what I had driver for. Once I did that, I started to realize how rare it was that I would use fairway from the deck. So basically it was a shorter driver in terms of what I wanted from my 3w. I committed to playing hybrid off the deck, and 3w off the tee primarily unless I have a perfect lie/number. Once I did that, I just wanted to find the fairway that would be best off the tee. Not balloon, not spin too much or too little, not go 285 yards. 

 

I actually ended up in a TS2 16.5 4Wood with the D+ 70X, but in a fitting saw some upside in the TSi3/Ventus combo. Made the fulltime move to the Tsi3 head, but still working through shafts. Sometimes the Ventus Blue feels like it wants to go pully/hooky on me and that's an absolute no, so he's benched for now. 

If you hit it off the deck a lot, check out 16.5 in a TS2 or TSi2. A little added help and launch height, with minimal impact on distance. I think a lot more people should play 4w than play a 3w. Much more versatile, which is why mine is not in the bag, but is also not on BST. Fairway woods are tricky things, and its always a good idea to have a backup! 

 

Sounds like you're already getting on with Mizuno as well. Love their stuff, and their woods/drivers game seems to get better with every release. 

 

Good Luck, will be fun to watch! 

I’ve been waiting for this update to your endless yet entertaining saga for years! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 Fortinet Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #8
       
       
      New Ping putter - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      New Bettinardi putters & Cover - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Ping Putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Cameron putter and new ball marker - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
      Sneds - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Peter Uihlein - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Charles Howell, III - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Scott Piercy - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Brandan Steele - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Mito Pereira - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Kevin Tway - WITB -2021 Fortinet Championship
      Joseph Bramlett - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
       
      • 19 replies
    • 2021 Tour Championship - Discussion and Comments
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Tour Championship
      LA Golf putter shafts - 2021 Tour Championship
       
       
       
      • 25 replies
    • 2021 BMW Championship - Discussion and Links
      Put any questions of comments here
       
       
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #7
       
       
      Cameron T-11 & T-11.5 putters at 2021 BMW Championship
      Mizuno Pro FliHi and 225 irons - 2021 BMW CHampionship
       
       
       
      • 18 replies
    • 2021 Ping i59 irons & Glide Forged wedges in hand comparison pics!!!
      In hand pics of the new 2021 Ping i59 irons and Glide Forged wedges...
       

       
      Ping i59 7 iron
       

       
       
      Ping i59 PW
       

       
      Ping i59 Comparison Photos

       

       

       

       
       
       
       
      PING Glide Forged Wedges

       
      Ping Glide Eye Toe Wedge
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 99 replies
    • 2021 The Northern Trust - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #1
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #2
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #3
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #4
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #5
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #6
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #7
       
       
      New Cameron for JT - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Cameron putters for Garrick Higgo - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Odyssey putter covers - 2021 The Northern Trust
       
       
      • 6 replies

×
×
  • Create New...