How often do PGA caddie's test Green density ? Tucker did every week for Bryson

randywildman

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

First off, I am not a big Bryson fan, but I listened to the podcast. He could not have said anymore nice things about Bryson. 

Of course, he’s not going to say anything else. He’s trying to start a business shuttling golfers to Bandon Dunes. He is going to be as courteous and nice as he can be so he doesn’t offend any potential clients.

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

Taylor-made P790 4-AW

Callaway MD5 JAWS 54*

Callaway MD5 JAWS 58*

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback

Vice Pro-Soft balls

Wow, now I know why BAD lives on the razor’s edge. Green density and air density.
Golf is so complicated. 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."
 "But what about my asthma?"
" I'll give you asthma."

Green density is a valid point as firmer greens roll out more, but not sure how he could accurately calculate yardage adjustments for green density and air density. I'd be interested in hearing his calculation methods for the heck of it. No wonder it took Bryson so long to get yardages and has been criticized for slow play. 

16 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

Green density is a valid point as firmer greens roll out more, but not sure how he could accurately calculate yardage adjustments for green density and air density. I'd be interested in hearing his calculation methods for the heck of it. No wonder it took Bryson so long to get yardages and has been criticized for slow play. 

Where does science end and OCD begin?

I remember back when Chip Beck was still playing on tour and was having a problem with slow play. 

He considered jogging from shot to shot to allow more time figuring out whatever he needed.

It didn't help.

50 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

Easy. You know the rollout for the spin rate on the club for the green density and density altitude is very easy to calculate. 

When Johnny Miller was in his prime he would get his distances to the half yard. Hogan was known to be very acute in his aiming. Spieth often says aim small miss small or words to that effect. 
I remember from my surveying class in college the teacher making a distinction between accuracy and precision. 
BD apparently doesn’t understand the difference. The other three I mentioned do.

3 hours ago, physasst said:

Of course, he’s not going to say anything else. He’s trying to start a business shuttling golfers to Bandon Dunes. He is going to be as courteous and nice as he can be so he doesn’t offend any potential clients.

Why do the interview at all? Brandon is so isolated, I doubt he needs a lot of publicity for golfers to discover his shuttle.

3 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

Seems like air density is one of those things you calculate once on Wednesday and develop your "rule of thumb" for the week and go from there.  It doesn't take a mental giant to understand that high humidity at sea level the ball isn't going as far as drier air at altitude.  But you figure, "hey my irons are going 10% (or whatever) farther and biting less when they hit" and go on about your business.

2 hours ago, dbleag said:

Where does science end and OCD begin?

I'm on record here saying BCD needs something to occupy his mind out there.  You read some of the Rotella stuff and he is advocating you focus on golf only when it is time to focus on the shot because you just can't have your brain tuned to golf for a six hour round without having a mental gaffe that costs you a stroke.  I think BDC needs something to keep him from thinking about mechanics directly while he plays so he invents this extra stuff he thinks he needs to know to make a decision when for most it is "yardage, lie, wind?, target, shape, club and go."  (not necessarily in that order)

Talking about quantifying.  BDC is working in Xsub10+ world when he is analyzing variables' impacts on the outcome.  Xsub3 is probably adequate for most of our abilities' to execute a shot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Seems like air density is one of those things you calculate once on Wednesday and develop your "rule of thumb" for the week and go from there.  It doesn't take a mental giant to understand that high humidity at sea level the ball isn't going as far as drier air at altitude.  But you figure, "hey my irons are going 10% (or whatever) farther and biting less when they hit" and go on about your business.

I'm on record here saying BCD needs something to occupy his mind out there.  You read some of the Rotella stuff and he is advocating you focus on golf only when it is time to focus on the shot because you just can't have your brain tuned to golf for a six hour round without having a mental gaffe that costs you a stroke.  I think BDC needs something to keep him from thinking about mechanics directly while he plays so he invents this extra stuff he thinks he needs to know to make a decision when for most it is "yardage, lie, wind?, target, shape, club and go."  (not necessarily in that order)

Talking about quantifying.  BDC is working in Xsub10+ world when he is analyzing variables' impacts on the outcome.  Xsub3 is probably adequate for most of our abilities' to execute a shot.

Well you’re grouping altitude and air density together but more wet air actually has lower density. Yes that may occur more often around seasides and low altitudes so it may be a wash or even net negative for distance, but all else equal, higher humidity equals less density and more distance 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

Well you’re grouping altitude and air density together but more wet air actually has lower density. Yes that may occur more often around seasides and low altitudes so it may be a wash or even net negative for distance, but all else equal, higher humidity equals less density and more distance 

Well there you go.  I always assumed, wet air was "heavy air," and therefore more dense resulting in that the ball doesn't go as far.

In playing baseball we always hoped for a dry, hot day. Seemed like the ball really jumped then.  Cool, damp air sucked the carry out of it and sort of knocked down flyballs.

16 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

This explains why my approach shots have been ever so slightly off! 😂 

• Like 1

I wonder if they measure relative moisture at random hours as well, since we know green density will change throughout the day as the greens dry out and used more and more. He must be running a timer the second the sprinklers start until he finished his round....I bet Tucker unloads some great stories on his "shuttle" to the patrons headed to Bandon in the new few years.

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

I'm going to start carrying my old E6B in my golf bag to be sure I calculate air density before I take off, uh, hit a shot.

e6b.jpeg

Way better equipment now like a range finder/binoculars that reads the DA. Now whether or not it would pick up flags remains to be known. E6B took a class all to themselves and you would forget stuff quickly if you didn't use it.

Edited by MUNIGRIT

4 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

A 12 year old kid can understand they they need to land shorter to fast greens.

And here I am, flying it to a back pin and getting up and down for double. I’ll learn one day. 

• Haha 1

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

300 Mini 13.5* / Ventus Black 10x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100•s 4-9 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 46, 50 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 54, 58 / Dynamic Gold TI X100

Champion’s Choice / MC X-Firm
620 / MC X-Firm

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

Well there you go.  I always assumed, wet air was "heavy air," and therefore more dense resulting in that the ball doesn't go as far.

In playing baseball we always hoped for a dry, hot day. Seemed like the ball really jumped then.  Cool, damp air sucked the carry out of it and sort of knocked down flyballs.

The temperature has the greatest effect along with starting elevation. What pinhigh said about moisture in the air is correct.

• Like 1

Tim:  "So we have 145.7 to the pin, 4 knot wind coming from the left at 76 degrees, 112 foot elevation, humidity 72%, green density with a 2 degree slop towards us at the pin.  So this is going to play like 138.8 your going to want about 6500 RPM of spin"

Bryson swings 130 mph and hits it 30 yards right of the green.  "I can't believe the ball did that!!!"  

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, jc2 said:

Tim:  "So we have 145.7 to the pin, 4 knot wind coming from the left at 76 degrees, 112 foot elevation, humidity 72%, green density with a 2 degree slop towards us at the pin.  So this is going to play like 138.8 your going to want about 6500 RPM of spin"

Bryson swings 130 mph and hits it 30 yards right of the green.  "I can't believe the ball did that!!!"  

That’s funny, and you’re not wrong. I think what sekrah said above you is plausible. Perhaps just a way to occupy his mind and not let the situation get “too big”. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by TiScape

4 hours ago, smashdn said:

I think with baseball, the humidity affects the baseball itself in that a baseball stored in humid conditions isn't as elastic and comes off the bat with less speed, compared to balls stored in dry conditions. Re: Coors Field Humidor. 

3 hours ago, DFS PFD said:

I wonder if they measure relative moisture at random hours as well, since we know green density will change throughout the day as the greens dry out and used more and more. He must be running a timer the second the sprinklers start until he finished his round....I bet Tucker unloads some great stories on his "shuttle" to the patrons headed to Bandon in the new few years.

Now the moisture meter can be your best friend and, IMO, a much better way to tell if you are losing your greens. 

I guess we need to upgrade our walking on the green and kind of bouncing or pressing down really hard with your foot and/or fingers isn’t going to work anymore. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mallrat said:

Now the moisture meter can be your best friend and, IMO, a much better way to tell if you are losing your greens. 

I guess we need to upgrade our walking on the green and kind of bouncing or pressing down really hard with your foot and/or fingers isn’t going to work anymore. 

You have no idea how much Bryson could teach you about your profession! (sarcasm) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1