How often do PGA caddie's test Green density ? Tucker did every week for Bryson

randywildman

6 hours ago, smashdn said:

Seems like air density is one of those things you calculate once on Wednesday and develop your "rule of thumb" for the week and go from there.  It doesn't take a mental giant to understand that high humidity at sea level the ball isn't going as far as drier air at altitude.  But you figure, "hey my irons are going 10% (or whatever) farther and biting less when they hit" and go on about your business.

I'm on record here saying BCD needs something to occupy his mind out there.  You read some of the Rotella stuff and he is advocating you focus on golf only when it is time to focus on the shot because you just can't have your brain tuned to golf for a six hour round without having a mental gaffe that costs you a stroke.  I think BDC needs something to keep him from thinking about mechanics directly while he plays so he invents this extra stuff he thinks he needs to know to make a decision when for most it is "yardage, lie, wind?, target, shape, club and go."  (not necessarily in that order)

Talking about quantifying.  BDC is working in Xsub10+ world when he is analyzing variables' impacts on the outcome.  Xsub3 is probably adequate for most of our abilities' to execute a shot.

How about ‘dat… somebody gets the psychology of it.  

Most people who are of a science/engineering bent have voices in their heads that tell them that if they can’t measure something they must not understand it.  Whether the measurements make any difference is likely immaterial. When the pressure is on, people go to what makes them comfortable. 

Everybody is a bit different and, as often is the case, the tribe goes after those who are different because they feel more comfortable when everybody conforms.  I shudder to think about what the comments would have been if Hogan had lived in internet times.  

Edited by torbill

3 hours ago, torbill said:

Most people who are of a science/engineering bent have voices in their heads that tell them that if they can’t measure something they must not understand it.  Whether the measurements make any difference is likely immaterial. When the pressure is on, people go to what makes them comfortable. 

Everybody is a bit different and, as often is the case, the tribe goes after those who are different because they feel more comfortable when everybody conforms.  I shudder to think about what the comments would have been if Hogan had lived in internet times.  

I agree. We engineers are morons, but somehow we build things that work.

• Haha 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

On 7/28/2021 at 7:11 PM, torbill said:

Another Engineer (ME/EE) here.  I want to measure everything, but for me it's so I can figure out what I don't need to take into account because that way I don't get bogged down on stuff that doesn't matter.  If you can't hit a ball inch perfect then green density that will have a 4" difference in rollout doesn't need to be factored in.  In golf I know that nothing will affect the ball more than my swing, so I need to have 2 or less thoughts in my head or the results are going to be less than ideal

But I agree that each person does things different.  There are as many ways to solve a problem as there are engineers working on it.  And every engineer thinks their way is the superior solution even when they acknowledge that another solution also gets the job done just as well

• Like 1

10 hours ago, woodriff said:

Engineers chiming in with interesting  facts. Great read. BDC has all that information for one golf shot and yet still fails the Cov*d test twice. Go figure. 

For one, BDC ain't no engineer. As an engineer myself, his analytical skills seem dubious at best, bordering on pseudo-science. One thing all good engineers learn very early is what factors don't matter because they're not controllable or are "in the noise". BDC spends a lot of time, seemingly, in the noise.

I play golf with a number of other engineers. Pretty much all of us are anything but analytical when it comes to our on-course golf games. Sure, some of us look at data after the round, and maybe analyzing that data comes pretty easily to us, but when it comes to actually playing, we're likely not that much different than anybody else from all other realms of work. No compasses or density measurements here.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2021 at 3:15 PM, sekrah said:

IMO, DeChambeau's inch-precision calculations from the middle of the fairway are just bullxxxx to keep his mind occupied. If him and his caddy are rattling math off to each other it could be an effective way to deal with pressure.

Yup, I think it’s more of an OCD thing than anything else. He quantifies everything he can think of and it makes him feel like he has an edge. 

• Like 1

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

8 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

For one, BDC ain't no engineer. As an engineer myself, his analytical skills seem dubious at best, bordering on pseudo-science. One thing all good engineers learn very early is what factors don't matter because they're not controllable or are "in the noise". BDC spends a lot of time, seemingly, in the noise.

I play golf with a number of other engineers. Pretty much all of us are anything but analytical when it comes to our on-course golf games. Sure, some of us look at data after the round, and maybe analyzing that data comes pretty easily to us, but when it comes to actually playing, we're likely not that much different than anybody else from all other realms of work. No compasses or density measurements here.

Right, Bryson is no engineer and I never stated that he is.  I think that he has a physics background, which is why I said scientist/engineer. And in my experience with scientists, and I’ve worked with a lot of scientists, they think every bit as anal-lytically as we do, lol.

In any event I agree with what you say about engineers being very good at separating the signal from the noise and focusing on what actually matters, and it’s not at all clear that Bryson is good at this - I think that it’s called common sense.

But my point was a bit different.  Bryson has a particular nature, either innate or acquired through training.  He is as he is.  He behaves in manners that people who don’t have these inner voices of analysis probably don’t understand, that what gives him comfort is a bit different.  So people should try to understand, just a teensy bit, and cut him a little slack.  Whether or not some of the nonsense that he practices makes any real difference is secondary to my point.

The other thing… about your non-analytical golf game.  You seem to be characterizing your approach to the game by what happens once you get to the course.  But how about all of what led up to it?  If you’re anything like me and a whole lot of other analytical types I’ll bet that you’ve taken a different approach to learning swing principles, developing your principles, managing your game.  I’ll bet that you instinctively dismiss the endless swing theory nonsense that you know can’t work as described, and focus on swing theory teaching that can work according to physical principles - and that your approach to practice, course management, etc. is maybe a bit different than what non-analytical people do.  What I’m saying is that people like us sometimes don’t even realize how different we are, in our approach to problems and solutions.     

2 hours ago, torbill said:

The other thing… about your non-analytical golf game.  You seem to be characterizing your approach to the game by what happens once you get to the course.  But how about all of what led up to it?  If you’re anything like me and a whole lot of other analytical types I’ll bet that you’ve taken a different approach to learning swing principles, developing your principles, managing your game.  I’ll bet that you instinctively dismiss the endless swing theory nonsense that you know can’t work as described, and focus on swing theory teaching that can work according to physical principles - and that your approach to practice, course management, etc. is maybe a bit different than what non-analytical people do.  What I’m saying is that people like us sometimes don’t even realize how different we are, in our approach to problems and solutions.     

You might be mostly wrong about me on this front. I also have a longer background in other sports where things are more reactionary than in golf (e.g. tennis, hockey). My approach to hitting an object with a stick is more rooted in that background than any technical, analytical approach. At least to my own perception (as biased as that can be) its more about feels and looks. See target, see ball - hit ball to target. Approaches that focus on "positions" in the golf swing are almost anathema to me.

But where you may have a good point is that I do tend to dismiss a lot of cliched things I've heard about golf over the years. E.g. "Lay up to your favorite full swing distance". "Better short in the fairway than long in the rough".  Often that's just tired BS that makes no sense.

As for course management - it's pretty simple. Hit it as far as possible off the tee without putting trouble into too much play. Don't pin hunt unnecessarily. Take your medicine when needed. Same thing I told my son when he was learning the game as a young kid.

This reminds me the the bro scientist in the fitness industry. I'd like to meet the guy feeding this stuff to him. 

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

8 hours ago, torbill said:

In any event I agree with what you say about engineers being very good at separating the signal from the noise and focusing on what actually matters, and it’s not at all clear that Bryson is good at this

How would you characterize Bryson successfully gaining distance and proceeding to win a major because of it?

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x

Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Tour BX S

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 4:11 PM, kasting333 said:

How would you characterize Bryson successfully gaining distance and proceeding to win a major because of it?

illusory-correlation bias. 

he won BEFORE he was jacked -- since his outcome(s) after the change were positive, you're inclined to believe it was because of him gaining distance that he won. 

had he not won -- would we be having this discussion? 

• Like 2

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

1 hour ago, gioguy21 said:

he won BEFORE he was jacked -- since his outcome(s) after the change were positive, you're inclined to believe it was because of him gaining distance that he won. 

Exactly, and he didn't win at Winged Foot because of his distance, he putted and chipped really well that week. He was 3rd in SG approach and putting, and 2nd in SG around the green. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

2 hours ago, gioguy21 said:

He never even contended in a major before gaining distance. 

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x

Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Tour BX S

5 minutes ago, kasting333 said:

He never even contended in a major before gaining distance. 

hasn't contended much since the win -- one could make the argument that the one win was more due to his short game and approach than it was off the tee.

he's had 2 top 5's out of 21 starts (including the win). this year he didn't have a top 25...

you could also argue that the mental aspect and confidence in ones self is very strong -- he had a TON of confidence and visibility after he went 'big'...that does a LOT for your game. 

again, you're saying there's a direct connection between getting swole and all of a sudden winning majors -- if this were the case he'd have won or been top 5 in almost every major since coming back. 

• Like 1

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

On 7/28/2021 at 3:12 AM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Sounds like pseudo science nonsense. 

Much like Bryson career; he enjoys uses "big," "confusing" words to sound smart. I could be wrong, but I don't believe he actually has a Physics degree either.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

25 minutes ago, gioguy21 said:

hasn't contended much since the win -- one could make the argument that the one win was more due to his short game and approach than it was off the tee.

he's had 2 top 5's out of 21 starts (including the win). this year he didn't have a top 25...

you could also argue that the mental aspect and confidence in ones self is very strong -- he had a TON of confidence and visibility after he went 'big'...that does a LOT for your game. 

again, you're saying there's a direct connection between getting swole and all of a sudden winning majors -- if this were the case he'd have won or been top 5 in almost every major since coming back. 

So why would he win or be top 5 in every major? I can’t keep up with your straw man argument. 

Again, what major did he win prior to the distance gains? 

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x

Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Tour BX S