Single In Person Lesson vs A Month of Video Analysis

Hello.  I can take a single in-person lesson from a somewhat local Golf-Tec for $120/hr.  However, for $30 more I could take videos of my swing using Skillest and send it to a pro that would evaluate it over the course of a month.  I'm thinking I could get 7 to 8 videos analyzed over this time (I'm assuming it will take 2 to 3 days to get a response from the pro).  So, would you opt for the single one on one lesson or pay a little more and go the online route?

Thanks!

I think it depends on how you learn. Some people need an instructor to physically put them into positions to identity what those positions actually feel like in their heads. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

12 minutes ago, Therty said:

Thanks.  Saw a lot of good comments about Monte in some other threads.  However, I'm not really looking for a swing revamp.  Just went back to S&T a month or so ago and have seen marked improvement.  The only thing I'd like to correct in my game is forward shaft lean at impact (or lack thereof).  Have very active wrists so tend to flip.

12 minutes ago, cwilk said:

I think it depends on how you learn. Some people need an instructor to physically put them into positions to identity what those positions actually feel like in their heads. 

Not really sure how to answer this.  I've never really done online lessons before and sometimes in person instructors just ripped me off.

Edited by sixiron150

2 hours ago, sixiron150 said:

Hello.  I can take a single in-person lesson from a somewhat local Golf-Tec for $120/hr.  However, for $30 more I could take videos of my swing using Skillest and send it to a pro that would evaluate it over the course of a month.  I'm thinking I could get 7 to 8 videos analyzed over this time (I'm assuming it will take 2 to 3 days to get a response from the pro).  So, would you opt for the single one on one lesson or pay a little more and go the online route?

Thanks!

Where are you located?  Maybe there are better options locally than the GolfTec?

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

I've done online with Monte and highly suggest it.  He's really good at giving you drills to get to where you need to be, however when doing this stuff it often helps to have a mirror or continually film yourself as you work on things to make sure you're heading in the right direction.  If you don't think you can manage that on your own, an in person lesson would be best.  With that said, my buddy went to golftec for a lesson last week, he walked away with some nice videos and information on what he needed to do, but no real information on how to get there.  The issue with that, if we see ourselves on video I think most of us can figure all that out on our own, I don't need to pay somebody to tell me I'm coming over the top, early extending, casting ect. It's the how to get there that we often need help with (drills ect), and that's what I think seperates the great instructors from the average ones.  

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

17 hours ago, sixiron150 said:

Thanks.  Saw a lot of good comments about Monte in some other threads.  However, I'm not really looking for a swing revamp.  Just went back to S&T a month or so ago and have seen marked improvement.  The only thing I'd like to correct in my game is forward shaft lean at impact (or lack thereof).  Have very active wrists so tend to flip.

Not really sure how to answer this.  I've never really done online lessons before and sometimes in person instructors just ripped me off.

Most will probably push you away from stack and tilt. So if it’s online I’d find someone that is familiar with that or at least agrees to work on the specific issue you are having. But sometimes a flip starts at the beginning of the swing because of your setup or takeaway. Also, if you’ve never tried online but had bad experiences in person I’d give online a try. Maybe they’ll click with you.

However, GolfTec has unique equipment that might click with you.  Though some people say they felt the equipment and their methods were overwhelming or unnecessary. They will likely steer you away from stack and tilt though because they have a reference range for every position that they are thought to direct golfers to. They are essentially a one size fits all approach with a goal of getting you within the tour averages in any given position throughout the golf swing. 

Edited by cwilk

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

4 minutes ago, cwilk said:

Most will probably push you away from stack and tilt. So if it’s online I’d find someone that is familiar with that or at least agrees to work on the specific issue you are having. But sometimes a flip starts at the beginning of the swing because of your setup or takeaway. Also, if you’ve never tried online but had bad experiences in person I’d give online a try. Maybe they’ll click with you.

However, GolfTec has unique equipment that might click with you.  Though some people say they felt the equipment and their methods were overwhelming or unnecessary. They will likely steer you away from stack and tilt though because they have a reference range for every position that they are thought to direct golfers to. They are essentially a one size fits all approach with a goal of getting you within the tour averages in any given position throughout the golf swing. 

The instructor is from S&Ts website and he is listed as at Golftec. His name is Christian Becker.  

What I like about S&T is that I can play decent golf without practicing much (which I don’t have time to do).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sixiron150 said:

The instructor is from S&Ts website and he is listed as at Golftec. His name is Christian Becker.  

What I like about S&T is that I can play decent golf without practicing much (which I don’t have time to do).

Just curious, have you actually incorporated S&T as your swing "model" and know you are following that path or do you think you have?

1 minute ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Just curious, have you actually incorporated S&T as your swing "model" and know you are following that path or do you think you have?

I’ve read the book and watched several videos. Tried to incorporate the basic principles… weight slightly on left side at setup, drop left shoulder towards ball on back swing while straightening right leg, push up with left  leg on down swing and tuck rear end on follow through. Keep arms close to body during process. Picked up a lot of consistency. Works great with driver which some apparently struggle with using S&T. Have trouble with short irons mostly. Catch them fat a lot and tend to hit high lob shots due to the lag loss with the wrists.

Think I’m going to try the Golftec S&T instructor. Called them. They have an August $100 swing analysis special.

45 minutes ago, sixiron150 said:

I’ve read the book and watched several videos. Tried to incorporate the basic principles… weight slightly on left side at setup, drop left shoulder towards ball on back swing while straightening right leg, push up with left  leg on down swing and tuck rear end on follow through. Keep arms close to body during process. Picked up a lot of consistency. Works great with driver which some apparently struggle with using S&T. Have trouble with short irons mostly. Catch them fat a lot and tend to hit high lob shots due to the lag loss with the wrists.

Think I’m going to try the Golftec S&T instructor. Called them. They have an August $100 swing analysis special.

If you are committed to that sounds like you are on the right track!

• Like 1