Disappointed with Bettinardi

HanadaNo3

12 hours ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

Na, their support was as expected. You may not like it, but wear their shoes for a minute. 

You ever have a tee pushed up against your ball?

Ever try to have the swing weight on your PXG's changed? 

I think peoples idea of customer service is completely out of whack. I'm on the front lines of customer service and reading this just made me cringe for Pam. 

I had a guy last week, booked 1 spot for 5PM on half price Tuesday. Came in at 2 and told the front desk we also needed to hold 2 additional spots for him next to his one reserved. Unless you plan the multi spots, we cannot promise anything side by side. He told off the high school kid working the desk and demanded a manager. Manager tells him the same. Chews out that manager and demands a higher manager. That's me. Same round and round. Bad customer service, bad business practice.. just over and over. Wanted my boss. I radio'd the lady in charge of group event sales. He walked out before she got to the lobby. Were we able to get him 3 side by side, yes. That's what we do. But like Pam I had to set expectations early and make zero promises up front. 

On 7/28/2021 at 10:57 AM, VNutz said:

This is why most putter companies use stainless steel nowadays. Even if not designed to patina, carbon finishes will wear with usage. Moisture, sand, storage, course chemicals, all have an effect on the finish, they require attention to keep them looking like new even if not being used. Most golf consumers do not understand this.

I'll be fully transparent, as someone who was just clicking around in the forum to kill time, I just found that out now...

• Like 2

Looks like it was exhumed from a 5 year stint in Salt Water (after being run over by a tanker).

• Like 3

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

24 minutes ago, egonz said:

I'll be fully transparent, as someone who was just clicking around in the forum to kill time, I just found that out now...

shooting star GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

9 hours ago, 4x4GGG said:

Ever try to have the swing weight on your PXG's changed? 

I think peoples idea of customer service is completely out of whack. I'm on the front lines of customer service and reading this just made me cringe for Pam. 

I had a guy last week, booked 1 spot for 5PM on half price Tuesday. Came in at 2 and told the front desk we also needed to hold 2 additional spots for him next to his one reserved. Unless you plan the multi spots, we cannot promise anything side by side. He told off the high school kid working the desk and demanded a manager. Manager tells him the same. Chews out that manager and demands a higher manager. That's me. Same round and round. Bad customer service, bad business practice.. just over and over. Wanted my boss. I radio'd the lady in charge of group event sales. He walked out before she got to the lobby. Were we able to get him 3 side by side, yes. That's what we do. But like Pam I had to set expectations early and make zero promises up front. 

Yeah, I don't work CS but I can imagine... 

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

When I bought my first Cameron (one of his early/first years with Titleist), it came with an oil rag, and they told you to use it after each round and keep the putter and HC dry etc, as it was Carbon Steel. That said, personally I like a bit of rust, like Spieth's Scotty. I have a Kingston Carbon Steel KP1 that was oil-canned, and then I just let naturally age/rust. I keep it up with a bit of steel wool. Now, for all those dings. It's simple and this is not meant to be rude or pile on, but it shocks me, how many $300+ putters look like this in many bags I see. You have to use the HC after each and every use. Plus it massively aids in resale value if you ever put it up on ebay etc.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bigolherschel said:

I know we shouldn’t go to the internet for people to feel sorry for us… but our the world culture of being obsessed with perfection is really, really odd. We all make mistakes - the very same people on here sucking their own dinguses regarding proper carbon steel maintenance practices go to work and put an order in the computer wrong, or troubleshoot a machine wrong, or do something wrong without knowing and later pay a price for it. We’re all human.

Further, I’m a licensed mechanical engineer and I had no clue that carbon steel is so sensitive being applied in this way. Honestly, if my bosses found out we had been widely pumping out a product requiring niche maintenance (think 3000 mile oil changes, premium gas only, Z rated tires good for 15,000 miles only AND selling it on the front line at the normal Honda dealership with no mention of special maintenance up front) then someone would get a serious talking to and/or fired. Customer blaming for idiotic engineering (OR hiding important information about the product up front) is also an epidemic - how hard would it be for Bettinardi to put a tag on the unit explaining the way it might rust… you know, how Vokey does? 

I’m a Bettinardi player by the way, just no need to pile on Hanada for a simple mistake taken in good grace. 

My Betti is 3 years old. I kind knew all of this from the research I did before buying it, but that was on me. I actually got a little sad when I saw a nick in it this year for the first time. I get tools, not jewels... but I do keep good care of it. My wedges, on the other hand, are a little over a year old and they're solid blocks of rust and dings. 

The concern here is that the instinct, the go to... it to Tee off on a company or company employee because some one didn't know. Take that Honda you discussed, is there a part in the manual that says turning a parking lot into a bumper car ring will lead to dents and rust? And if I did just that is it fair to trash you on line because it I didn't know my car would look like crap after? 

1 minute ago, 4x4GGG said:

My Betti is 3 years old. I kind knew all of this from the research I did before buying it, but that was on me. I actually got a little sad when I saw a nick in it this year for the first time. I get tools, not jewels... but I do keep good care of it. My wedges, on the other hand, are a little over a year old and they're solid blocks of rust and dings. 

The concern here is that the instinct, the go to... it to Tee off on a company or company employee because some one didn't know. Take that Honda you discussed, is there a part in the manual that says turning a parking lot into a bumper car ring will lead to dents and rust? And if I did just that is it fair to trash you on line because it I didn't know my car would look like crap after? 

Yes, that is because you were educated on carbon steel, I was not.  All of my previous putters were stainless steel, and I did not have these issues.  I think somebody made a good point, why not put some information on the putter saw the consumer is aware?I think somebody made a good point, why not put some information on the putter saw the consumer is aware?

This is why shop classes should still be required in school

uncared for carbon steel will rust.

stainless steel ( note - stains less ) can still rust, although is more rust resistant than carbon steel

how rust resistant ss steel is depends on the alloy composition ( 304 and 316 are both pretty rust resistant and are commonly used for marine applications)

aluminum will oxidize

copper will patina

This is no knock at the op-- just it helps to know what materials are used for your tools if you care about them

• Like 3

23 hours ago, HanadaNo3 said:

Yes, that is because you were educated on carbon steel, I was not.  All of my previous putters were stainless steel, and I did not have these issues.  I think somebody made a good point, why not put some information on the putter saw the consumer is aware?

My point wasn't that I educated myself on something I purchased, but how quick people are to not know what the story is and yet still rip into CS reps or tee off on some company on line. A big company like Betti getting trashed because you didn't know letting your putter get beat to hell would produce bad results, all the way down to a teenage hostess at a mom and pop restaurant getting yelled at because some one has to wait even though there are empty tables. 

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 8:37 PM, HanadaNo3 said:

It looks this way because of the rust.  I play three times a week and I am in the swamp known as Houston, which has insane humidity.  I wipe down the putter after each round and I use the putter cover that came with it.  I do keep my clubs in the trunk, so that heat factor contributed to the rust, I am guessing.  Despite all of this, I've had tons of putters....Wilson, Odyssey, pings etc... and none have rusted like this, under similar conditions.  

But the crazy thing is, I was just asking them a question, I never asked for a refund or an exchange.  Worst customer service I have ever seen.

I live in Houston and my carbon putter doesn't look anything like that.

You also really shouldn't leave your clubs in the trunk here, only a matter of time until you have a head fall off from the glue melting or problems with your grips...

Keep the putter clean during rounds. Always put the cover back on so no chatter/dings. After the round use a silicone gun rag. Don't let moisture accumulate on it for long periods of time.

On 7/27/2021 at 6:37 PM, HanadaNo3 said:

It looks this way because of the rust.  I play three times a week and I am in the swamp known as Houston, which has insane humidity.  I wipe down the putter after each round and I use the putter cover that came with it.  I do keep my clubs in the trunk, so that heat factor contributed to the rust, I am guessing.  Despite all of this, I've had tons of putters....Wilson, Odyssey, pings etc... and none have rusted like this, under similar conditions.  

But the crazy thing is, I was just asking them a question, I never asked for a refund or an exchange.  Worst customer service I have ever seen.

The huge dents on the topline are from rust? 

• Haha 2

On 7/30/2021 at 6:32 AM, HanadaNo3 said:

Yes, that is because you were educated on carbon steel, I was not.  All of my previous putters were stainless steel, and I did not have these issues.  I think somebody made a good point, why not put some information on the putter saw the consumer is aware?I think somebody made a good point, why not put some information on the putter saw the consumer is aware?

I speak from experience, in 2018 I had a #28 and it began to rust. I contacted Bettinardi and Molly D helped me as that finish was not supposed to rust or patina. Within two weeks I had a new #28 with the corrected finish on it. The difference with the entire exchange my putter was in pristine condition except for the rust - no dents, no chips, no wear marks - my headcover goes right back on as soon as I finish putting. 

You keep glossing over a major issue - the putter is beat to crap. Do you not see the dents on the topline and toe of your own putter? You've dented, chipped and worn away any of the protective finish that putter could possibly have had and are asking why the putter is rusting. Take better care of your equipment and perhaps Bettinardi or Cameron, or TM, Titleist, or whomever you contact next will be better able to help you next time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, maamold said:

I speak from experience, in 2018 I had a #28 and it began to rust. I contacted Bettinardi and Molly D helped me as that finish was not supposed to rust or patina. Within two weeks I had a new #28 with the corrected finish on it. The difference with the entire exchange my putter was in pristine condition except for the rust - no dents, no chips, no wear marks - my headcover goes right back on as soon as I finish putting. 

You keep glossing over a major issue - the putter is beat to crap. Do you not see the dents on the topline and toe of your own putter? You've dented, chipped and worn away any of the protective finish that putter could possibly have had and are asking why the putter is rusting. Take better care of your equipment and perhaps Bettinardi or Cameron, or TM, Titleist, or whomever you contact next will be better able to help you next time. 

On page one the 13th post, the OP states that he learned a lot about carbon putters and that he would start using the head cover between holes.  He hoped other newbies would learn from this thread. I think he has learned a lesson. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

Sorry bruh, but you are so far off base on this one. Bettinardi has some of the best customer service in golf. In addition to being a family owned company based in the states, they care about their customers. 

• Like 2

**WITB**

PING LST G430 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana PD 60 TX w/GP NDMC Mid White/Black, +1.0*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2 - Graphite Design Tour AD 95 Utility w/GP NDMC Mid White/Black

Taylormade Stealth Plus 15* - Mitsubishi Diamana TB 70S w/GP NDMC Mid White/Black

PING i210 4-PW, UW - Project X LZ 6.0, +3/4 w/GP NDMC Mid White/Black

Vokey SM9 Raw 54*/60* - Project X LZ 6.0, +3/4 w/GP NDMC Mid White/Black

Bettinardi DASS Hive Custom SS3 - 37", 68* w/1.5* Loft. Garsen Ultimate

Do you store it (after the round) with the cover on it as well? That’s bad on carbon as it holds moisture in the cover on the putter which leads to faster rusting as well. Carbon will rust in the presence of any moisture. Any chemicals from the course will also amplify it. Nobody would warranty a carbon finish, it’s partly why many have stopped making carbon heads at the retail level, especially with black oxide finishes. Many carbons now use plates or dlc type finishes because of that. Black ox on carbon is a delicate finish

Edited by RookieBlue7
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 10:32 AM, naws-golfer said:

some of that looks like the plating has begun to detiorate. 

doesnt affect playability, but doesn;t look like just rust either.

No plating on these putters AFAIK. This is the "Stealth Black" finish Bettinardi offers which is likely a sort of PVD/coating, but not any sort of metal plating. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant