Disappointed with Bettinardi

HanadaNo3

HanadaNo3,

I've looked at this post 3 times, i understand your frustration, but you can't blame the mfg. Look at it this way I own a BMW M4 my tires went at 12,000 miles $3,000 to replace them. Should i call BMW dealer or bridgestone? The dealer doesn't make tires they sell cars. I know they should be for good for 8-12,000.Bottom line are you making putts? who gives a s*** how it looks (that's cosmetic) if you are killing your playing partners who cares.  I'm pretty sure you spun few putters in the past 2/3 years:) not being critical just saying.

On 7/29/2021 at 1:40 AM, MattM97 said:

Oh that was a good thread 

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

i seem to have missed that one. Where can I find it

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

5 hours ago, Bad9 said:

i seem to have missed that one. Where can I find it

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1824322-leaving-a-tee-next-to-someones-ball/

• Like 3

G425 LST 9°  •  3w G425 Max  •  3h G425  •  4i Maltby TS2  •  5i–Pw Maltby TS1  •  50°/54°/58° Maltby TSW  •  Odyssey White Hot OG 1WS

12 hours ago, Medson said:

Com’on, I also have a Nissan Murano. I thought it’s a pretty nice car. 

I guess your wife didn’t scrape the side of the car off the garage, crack and ruin the interior floor trim, and trash the interior. The infotainment/entertainment system is the worst ever in that car. It is a 2014, so maybe they improved it since. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 9:22 PM, cadoipi said:

For whatever reason this take is hilarious to me.  I am happy to see you have now cooled off and intend to embrace the situation going forward.

Pop culture reference, from the show Dexter.  He makes reference to his dark passenger and the dark place throughout the show.  If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it, season 1 and 4 are the best, IMHO. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 4:20 PM, GrumpyCat said:

@grumpycat   thanks for sharing that link, I think....  I just killed 15 minutes of time I'll never get back reading that whole thread.  But there was some good humor in it.  So appreciate you passing it along.  

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311 P w/accra  5-gap 
54* & 58* PXG Forged
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

I am a putter junky and back in the mid 2000's to 2012 I owned a putter company.   When I first started looking at custom putter I found out very quickly that carbon steel felt the best(for me) but also required either a good coating of some kind or wiping the putter down after every round with some kind of gun oil or silicon.   As I knew a little about metals before this I never put ANY putter in a headcover that was wet regardless of the type of metal.

95% or plus of the golfing public have no idea what carbon steel is or the difference between it and any kind of stainless or what is truly required to keep it clean and pristine.  Luckily you learned this on a $180 dollar putter, and not a $300+ putter where this learning is so much more expensive.  

I was lucky with my putter company, almost everyone that comes looking for a true one of a kind type of putter already knows that carbon steel requires all kinds of maintenance and they were good with it.  We used cerakote and gun cote to try and alleviate some of the problems, but even a tough finish like that gets worn down with use, we even had a super nickel coating that we used.  The super nickel never wore down, but if you let the putter get dinged the finish could crack and rust could start even with it.

This is why Cameron stopped producing carbon steel putters for the public quite a few years back.  The bad publicity even from the ones coated in their pro platinum if not kept with a headcover the finish would crack and then rust would start underneath.  It was a public flogging for them.  Piles of people buying $300 putters and not knowing how to care for them and they were rusting like crazy and it was a nightmare for Titleist.  You can still get carbon scotties, but you will pay piles and piles of money for them because they are all limited editions or tour models of some sort.

As far as the manufacturer, if they sale direct and through distributors you will have to go wherever you bought it from for proof of purchase and dates.  Even if you didn't ask for a refund or replacement 99.9% of people who contact them with pictures of a putter like that are looking for a refund or replacement.  So if you look at it from their perspective then of course they are going to immediately jump to that conclusion when you send them a picture of a putter that is pretty beat up and rusted.  Sorry you didn't like their reply or the speed, I think you said it took 3 times to get a response.  I know little to nothing about how Bettinardi works as I have never owned one of their putters and because of that have no need to contact them for a question.

• Like 3
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

34 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I am a putter junky and back in the mid 2000's to 2012 I owned a putter company.   When I first started looking at custom putter I found out very quickly that carbon steel felt the best(for me) but also required either a good coating of some kind or wiping the putter down after every round with some kind of gun oil or silicon.   As I knew a little about metals before this I never put ANY putter in a headcover that was wet regardless of the type of metal.

95% or plus of the golfing public have no idea what carbon steel is or the difference between it and any kind of stainless or what is truly required to keep it clean and pristine.  Luckily you learned this on a $180 dollar putter, and not a $300+ putter where this learning is so much more expensive.  

I was lucky with my putter company, almost everyone that comes looking for a true one of a kind type of putter already knows that carbon steel requires all kinds of maintenance and they were good with it.  We used cerakote and gun cote to try and alleviate some of the problems, but even a tough finish like that gets worn down with use, we even had a super nickel coating that we used.  The super nickel never wore down, but if you let the putter get dinged the finish could crack and rust could start even with it.

This is why Cameron stopped producing carbon steel putters for the public quite a few years back.  The bad publicity even from the ones coated in their pro platinum if not kept with a headcover the finish would crack and then rust would start underneath.  It was a public flogging for them.  Piles of people buying $300 putters and not knowing how to care for them and they were rusting like crazy and it was a nightmare for Titleist.  You can still get carbon scotties, but you will pay piles and piles of money for them because they are all limited editions or tour models of some sort.

As far as the manufacturer, if they sale direct and through distributors you will have to go wherever you bought it from for proof of purchase and dates.  Even if you didn't ask for a refund or replacement 99.9% of people who contact them with pictures of a putter like that are looking for a refund or replacement.  So if you look at it from their perspective then of course they are going to immediately jump to that conclusion when you send them a picture of a putter that is pretty beat up and rusted.  Sorry you didn't like their reply or the speed, I think you said it took 3 times to get a response.  I know little to nothing about how Bettinardi works as I have never owned one of their putters and because of that have no need to contact them for a question.

You've probably mentioned this before but what company did you own? I'm going to assume SSB?

Yeah I heard stories of stores taking back Scotty putters because they didn't inform someone that carbon putters need oil and not to be put back into headcovers after the round. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

8 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

You've probably mentioned this before but what company did you own? I'm going to assume SSB?

Yeah I heard stories of stores taking back Scotty putters because they didn't inform someone that carbon putters need oil and not to be put back into headcovers after the round. 

Yes it was SSB, we have fallen into the archives of golf lore.  LOL.   

I have toyed with the idea of coming back, but my real job is keeping me too busy from setting it up and getting it going.  I still have a ton of contacts, but most of my tools were either given to LaMont or have been sold.   Buying everything again would be expensive, and no matter what people think there isn't a ton of money in making custom putters.  For me it would have been to break even and have something to toy around with in my spare time and meet more great people. 

Apparently all the money is in saying you are a putter maker and then making piles and piles of non putters.

I still talk with many of the customers we had at SSB as does LaMont, so my time in the putter business was great(other than being threatened with lawsuits twice) LOL.

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Like 4
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Just now, driveandputtmachine said:

Yes it was SSB, we have fallen into the archives of golf lore.  LOL.   

I have toyed with the idea of coming back, but my real job is keeping me too busy from setting it up and getting it going.  I still have a ton of contacts, but most of my tools were either given to LaMont or have been sold.   Buying everything again would be expensive, and no matter what people think there isn't a ton of money in making custom putters.  For me it would have been to break even and have something to toy around with in my spare time and meet more great people. 

I still talk with many of the customers we had at SSB as does LaMont, so my time in the putter business was great(other than being threatened with lawsuits twice) LOL.

Nice I had an SSB for about a week or two, just because the guy I bought it from wanted it back 😂 It wasn't a shape for me so I sent it back.

But it may not be well known to many today but the ones who do know rave about them and it would be cool to see maybe an LE comeback and stories about the lawsuits too. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

8 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Nice I had an SSB for about a week or two, just because the guy I bought it from wanted it back 😂 It wasn't a shape for me so I sent it back.

But it may not be well known to many today but the ones who do know rave about them and it would be cool to see maybe an LE comeback and stories about the lawsuits too. 

Well one lawsuit(even though we prevailed) the agreement is I cannot discuss who it was with or the ruling.   The other was threatening.  My patent attorney basically told me I could call the guy up and insult him (words would not be allowed here) and I should not be worried at all.  Luckily this patent attorney was also a SSB customer so he looked at the case and complaint without a retainer and the like.   That company is no longer in business and has so many threads about them disappearing without delivering putters I am not really worried about it.  Although I think they were making a comeback to try and get back to it.

Unfortunately, at this point every Tom, Dick, and Harry owns a putter company.  I had a multiple tour winner as a staff member and a partner in designing our putters, so along with my IT and design background we also had a tour winner blessing our designs.  Today someone gets a hold of an open source file, or learns CAD and makes a design, or maybe his family owns a CNC shop and they make putters and everyone froths over them.

TBH, there are only a few "True" putter makers out there.  Guys who know how to hand mill a putter, work directly with a customer on a design.  Most of the folks today are designers and Social Media darlings.  They know nothing about art or how designs actually work, but they have built a good business, so good for them.  When you bold face almost steal how you name your putters from someone like LaMont or Byron, or Lajosi, or the other actual putter makers out there, to me you are nothing but a hack job making money off of the ill informed and fanboys that want to pretend they are cool because they have a ball marker from your company.

• Like 3

On 8/6/2021 at 7:03 PM, MCCA said:

I own a BMW M4 my tires went at 12,000 miles $3,000 to replace them. Should i call BMW dealer or bridgestone?

Bridgestone.

• Haha 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

On 8/24/2021 at 6:19 AM, MattM97 said:

Loved my SSB Masonboro, the only example of this brand I owned.  Hand-tweaked by Lamont. Very good feel (it is/was carbon).  My nephew back east is using it these days...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fharbist said:

Loved my SSB Masonboro, the only example of this brand I owned.  Hand-tweaked by Lamont. Very good feel (it is/was carbon).  My nephew back east is using it these days...

At least it's in the family if you need to get it back. Can bribe him with a Byron 😂

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

I haven't read every post and maybe the OP has bailed on this already, but rust doesn't have to be permanent.  It can be removed and as others have said be sure to treat it regularly with a rust inhibitor.  As far as the dings on the top and bottom line many are just small and some work with steel wool or some fine sandpaper can probably smooth those out without too much loss of headweight.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

14 hours ago, MattM97 said:

At least it's in the family if you need to get it back. Can bribe him with a Byron 😂

16 hours ago, fharbist said:

THanks guys for bringing something down memory lane.

I have 

1. 3 Ocean Isles - my dad has a 4th at his house.

2. 2 Masonboros - The first one we made was used by a GA Bulldog player to win his first Buy.com event

3. 4 Yaupons

4. 2 Oracokes

5. 1 Surfside

6. 1 of the Forged test head prototypes we made.  We were searching for a way to make a great feeling cheap custom that wasn't cast.  We only ever made 25, and I have 1/25 sitting on a putter rack here in my basement.  They were the first heads we ever did and right before we went to 100% milled and everything made in the US.  In the end it didn't end up being as much of a cost savings as we would've liked at our low volumes, so it didn't make any sense.

I never kept a Pawley head (we only ever made 3 of them) They were a big aluminum mallet where we used copper and tungsten rods in the back to tweak weight.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just seeing this thread because I’m considering buying a Bettinardi BB8 Wide.

So you guys wipe the putter down and coat it with oil after every round? What type of oil is best to use on them?

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

And no real quality control issues with Bettinardi right, just the OP that had never owned a carbon putter before?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

8 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

So you guys wipe the putter down and coat it with oil after every round? What type of oil is best to use on them?

Gun oil, silicone cloth or silicone spray. Just take the putter out of the head cover after each round and don't leave the clubs in the trunk.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

14 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Gun oil, silicone cloth or silicone spray. Just take the putter out of the head cover after each round and don't leave the clubs in the trunk.

Ok cool, sounds simple enough…thanks!

Yeah, the Bettinardi BB8-Wide was rolling really nicely in the store, so should be pulling the trigger shortly!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

33 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

I use Ballistol. I spray a microfiber cloth with it and wipe the putter off before and after each round and it works great. My game used putters retain their minty quality. I could sell the copper insert Sensor I’ve used all season long as “new” if I was a d-bag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

And no real quality control issues with Bettinardi right, just the OP that had never owned a carbon putter before?

I like the putter, it has a great feel, I just didn't know it was carbon steel when I bought it and Bettinardi doesn't provide any stickers or literature about the care that must be taken with such putters.  I guess they figure you would know that if you are spending that much money for a putter but, in my case, I got it on sale at the PGA golf store.  It was rolling well for me that day, was on sale for $180 so I bought it on a whim.  On a side note, I've switched to the Tommy Armour Impact No. 2 Wide and I love it, put the Bettinardi in my travel bag.  I will say this, I was not impressed with the customer service Bettinardi provided me but I know that has not been the case for others, they had great experiences.  I'd just say do your own research, reach their reviews, I've seen similar complaints about their service on google reviews.  Cest la vie, I've moved on at this point but I am sure it will be great for you with the right care.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HanadaNo3 said:

I like the putter, it has a great feel, I just didn't know it was carbon steel when I bought it and Bettinardi doesn't provide any stickers or literature about the care that must be taken with such putters.  I guess they figure you would know that if you are spending that much money for a putter but, in my case, I got it on sale at the PGA golf store.  It was rolling well for me that day, was on sale for $180 so I bought it on a whim.  On a side note, I've switched to the Tommy Armour Impact No. 2 Wide and I love it, put the Bettinardi in my travel bag.  I will say this, I was not impressed with the customer service Bettinardi provided me but I know that has not been the case for others, they had great experiences.  I'd just say do your own research, reach their reviews, I've seen similar complaints about their service on google reviews.  Cest la vie, I've moved on at this point but I am sure it will be great for you with the right care.  

I have had some  minor finish issues on a couple of Bettis in the past. They've always been very accommodating to me. 

One was a 2016 TIki that I put tape on to protect during bending, and some of the paint fill came off. They send me a shipping label, solved the problem and had it back in about 10 days.

Just today I sent my new in April Innovai 6.0 back because the blue anodized aluminum portion's finish is faded. Once again, I just sent pics and they responded same day with shipping label.

I own multiple Bettinardi putters and these are the only two issues I've had. Most of mine are carbon and haven't rusted, either.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

1 minute ago, RainShadow said:

I have had some  minor finish issues on a couple of Bettis in the past. They've always been very accommodating to me. 

One was a 2016 TIki that I put tape on to protect during bending, and some of the paint fill came off. They send me a shipping label, solved the problem and had it back in about 10 days.

Just today I sent my new in April Innovai 6.0 back because the blue anodized aluminum portion's finish is faded. Once again, I just sent pics and they responded same day with shipping label.

I own multiple Bettinardi putters and these are the only two issues I've had. Most of mine are carbon and haven't rusted, either.

If you check out the pictures of his putter it is clear why it rusted and why they could not help him out. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, maamold said:

If you check out the pictures of his putter it is clear why it rusted and why they could not help him out. 

I did.

Just stating my experience with Bettinardi.

Always been great!

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

24 minutes ago, maamold said:

Same, I just wish the guy would stop blaming Bettinardi for his lack of care. 

Look, if you like them, good on ya!  I shot a 78 this morning with my my new Tommy Armour Impact 2.0 wide putter in the bag, I’ve moved on.  I wish you would to.  All it takes is a simple google review search on Bettinardi to see all the customer support complaints they’ve received.  I get it l, you are a fanboy, God bless you.