Jump to content

Ping colour code system - have the colours ever changed?


Recommended Posts

Hi, currently I have a set of Ping G30 irons in green dot which is 2 degrees upright.  Standard length

The shafts are regular flex which does not suit me anymore as I need stiff.  I got fitted the other week which proved this.

I have a chance to possibly grab an old set of Ping Zing 2 irons which are green dot standard length and JZ stiff shafts.

 

Just wondering if the green dot used to be a different lie angle than 2 degrees upright?

 

Thanks.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I seem to recall there was a small change sometime in the last 10 years... others who are in the know should be able to help.

  • Like 1
What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag
Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex, or
XXIO 9.5˚ Driver, MP900 Graphite Stiff/Regular-Flex
XXIO 4w, 7w, 5h, 6h, MP900 Graphite R-Flex
Callaway Apex '21 Forged 6-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 F3
Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex
Evnroll ER11v MidLock Mallet Putter, or
 LAB Golf DF 2.1 Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour Black, LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip
Srixon Z-Star Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers
KABOOM BABY !!!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes.  But the difference (.25*) is marginal.  G30 green dot should be 2.25* up IIRC.  Played i20 green dots and that was the spec.  Originally, the color dot was in 1* degree increments.  The color code in effect for Z2's.   At some point, they changed to .75* increments.  Then several years back, Ping switched back to 1* increments and two color codes (+1.5*, -1.5*) were eliminated.  Would have to research the actual timeline dates.  

 

There were differences in standard black dot lies depending on the iron.  For instance, ISI's were 1* more upright than E2's as stock standard.  Believe Zings were also.  Due to to the heavy toe mass head design and shaft droop.  So I've read.  

 

WTS, not sure one would notice a .25* difference.  My delivery of the club head will vary more than that with any given swing.  

  • Like 4

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Yes.  But the difference (.25*) is marginal.  G30 green dot should be 2.25* up IIRC.  Played i20 green dots and that was the spec.  Originally, the color dot was in 1* degree increments.  The color code in effect for Z2's.   At some point, they changed to .75* increments.  Then several years back, Ping switched back to 1* increments and two color codes (+1.5*, -1.5*) were eliminated.  Would have to research the actual timeline dates.  

 

There were differences in standard black dot lies depending on the iron.  For instance, ISI's were 1* more upright than E2's as stock standard.  Believe Zings were also.  Due to to the heavy toe mass head design and shaft droop.  So I've read.  

 

WTS, not sure one would notice a .25* difference.  My delivery of the club head will vary more than that with any given swing.  

Pretty spot on -

 

Their glide wedge base lie angle is an ever changing system as well....and I can definitely tell the .41 difference between  2.0 & 3.0 lie

  • Like 1

Ping Sunday Bag
9 Clubs of Freedom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rossco the rocker said:

Hi, currently I have a set of Ping G30 irons in green dot which is 2 degrees upright.  Standard length

The shafts are regular flex which does not suit me anymore as I need stiff.  I got fitted the other week which proved this.

I have a chance to possibly grab an old set of Ping Zing 2 irons which are green dot standard length and JZ stiff shafts.

 

Just wondering if the green dot used to be a different lie angle than 2 degrees upright?

 

Thanks.

 

 

 

Green has always been classified 2 degrees upright but Pings standard did change.  I had a set of I3Blades green dot that had a certain lie angle (can't remember actual number) but were rated 2 deg up.  I later ordered a set of Ping s58 irons green dot which had a different lie angle but were still rated 2 deg up.  Moving to today a blue dot lie now equals the green dot lie of about 20 years ago.  Not a huge difference but a change nonetheless.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Top chart is the prior .75* increments.  Bottom is the current 1* increments.  Relative to a standard spec black dot baseline for any particular model.  The actual measured lies in degrees will differentiate depending on the baseline.  

 

Color_Code_chart_black_size.jpg.ed94d96c9cd0a70d944b7bfc61cf57b7.jpg.b1ec435c3ac659b9a04f0af4b770593f.jpg

color_code_chart.jpg.65cc8edffc7cc119298d104a47bae67f.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Top chart is the prior .75* increments.  Bottom is the current 1* increments.  Relative to a standard spec black dot baseline for any particular model.  The actual measured lies in degrees will differentiate depending on the baseline.  

 

Color_Code_chart_black_size.jpg.ed94d96c9cd0a70d944b7bfc61cf57b7.jpg.b1ec435c3ac659b9a04f0af4b770593f.jpg

color_code_chart.jpg.65cc8edffc7cc119298d104a47bae67f.jpg

 

Thanks for this information.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 8:50 AM, cristphoto said:

 

Green has always been classified 2 degrees upright but Pings standard did change.  I had a set of I3Blades green dot that had a certain lie angle (can't remember actual number) but were rated 2 deg up.  I later ordered a set of Ping s58 irons green dot which had a different lie angle but were still rated 2 deg up.  Moving to today a blue dot lie now equals the green dot lie of about 20 years ago.  Not a huge difference but a change nonetheless.  

 

Not exactly true.  

 

Ping adjusts the standard lie angle of every one of their designs.  The reason they do this is so that you can take your color code fitting with Set X and apply it to Set Y.  The Ping Eye2 black dot lie angle for a 5 iron was 61* (actually 60.7*).  The Zing, Zing2, and ISI irons all created a greater toe droop effect in the swing, so their black dot lie for a 5 iron was approx. one degree more upright (don't have the to-the-decimal number) than the Eye2/Eye2+.

 

When Ping went to the i3, which didn't have that knob at the toe, and a more traditional hosel than something like the ISI, they went back to a 61* black dot 5 iron lie angle.

 

In modern Ping sticks, the 5 irons all vary.  Blueprint is 60.5*, i210 is 61*, G425 is also 61*.  What makes these more interesting is that the std club lengths of those vary; Blueprints are 37.75" at the 5 iron, i210 is 38", and G425 is 38.25".

 

All done so when you go in with your Blue Dot at plus/minus X length (or std length) fitting, the clubs will dynamically be the same for you.  In theory, of course.  😉

 

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

 

Not exactly true.  

 

Ping adjusts the standard lie angle of every one of their designs.  The reason they do this is so that you can take your color code fitting with Set X and apply it to Set Y.  The Ping Eye2 black dot lie angle for a 5 iron was 61* (actually 60.7*).  The Zing, Zing2, and ISI irons all created a greater toe droop effect in the swing, so their black dot lie for a 5 iron was approx. one degree more upright (don't have the to-the-decimal number) than the Eye2/Eye2+.

 

When Ping went to the i3, which didn't have that knob at the toe, and a more traditional hosel than something like the ISI, they went back to a 61* black dot 5 iron lie angle.

 

In modern Ping sticks, the 5 irons all vary.  Blueprint is 60.5*, i210 is 61*, G425 is also 61*.  What makes these more interesting is that the std club lengths of those vary; Blueprints are 37.75" at the 5 iron, i210 is 38", and G425 is 38.25".

 

All done so when you go in with your Blue Dot at plus/minus X length (or std length) fitting, the clubs will dynamically be the same for you.  In theory, of course.  😉

 

 

And we begin to touch upon the matter of effective lies v. static lies.  Right Angle Trigonometry (Pythagorean Theorem).  The ratio:  .5" length △ = 1* effective lie △.  All else remaining constant other than length.  Was going broach the subject but wasn't worth the composition hassle.  

 

Once read somewhere (and unable to locate again) that the by the math calculation was ~.75*.  Made me take notice.  Wondered why Ping chose .75* increments, one degree seemed cleaner.  A case of KS, ever the engineer, requiring exactitude?  IDK, never could find it again to substantiate.  So it remains in the ether.  

 

In theory, of course.  😎

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

 

And we begin to touch upon the matter of effective lies v. static lies.  Right Angle Trigonometry (Pythagorean Theorem).  The ratio:  .5" length △ = 1* effective lie △.  All else remaining constant other than length.  Was going broach the subject but wasn't worth the composition hassle.  

 

Once read somewhere (and unable to locate again) that the by the math calculation was ~.75*.  Made me take notice.  Wondered why Ping chose .75* increments, one degree seemed cleaner.  A case of KS, ever the engineer, requiring exactitude?  IDK, never could find it again to substantiate.  So it remains in the ether.  

 

In theory, of course.  😎

 

That 0.75° delta is something I was taught way back in the early days of golf forums, on the old GEA.  It was from info that came from Ping, to those poster(s) mentioning it on forums.

 

I've assumed that was the genesis of the switch to ¾° lie changes between color codes, but that's really just speculation.  I also think Karsten was gone from the company when that change was made.

 

Another of the fun things was the lie angle adjustments Ping used to make when adding or subtracting length.  It is probably why they did away with it a few short years ago.  🙂

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

 

That 0.75° delta is something I was taught way back in the early days of golf forums, on the old GEA.  It was from info that came from Ping, to those poster(s) mentioning it on forums.

 

I've assumed that was the genesis of the switch to ¾° lie changes between color codes, but that's really just speculation.  I also think Karsten was gone from the company when that change was made.

 

Another of the fun things was the lie angle adjustments Ping used to make when adding or subtracting length.  It is probably why they did away with it a few short years ago.  🙂

 

Right.  At one time the color dot was relative to shaft length.  So if you had an iron 1" long the green dot would be flatter than the green dot at standard length.  There is an older chart that pre-dates the .75 chart where this was true.  Not sure if it is different or not?

  • Like 1

Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-P
Vokey 50,54,58
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Tuesday #1
      2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Tuesday #2
       
       
      Adam Scott - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Justin Rose - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Collin Morikawa - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Jason Day - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Justin Thomas - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Erik Van Rooyen - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Matt Jones - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Cam Davis - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Cam Smith - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Byeong Hun An - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Min Kyu - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Joohyung Kim - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Tommy Fleetwood - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Jordan Spieth - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Lucas Glover - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Keegan Bradley - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
       
       
       
      Gary Woodland's new Cameron putter - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Kevin Na's new Odyssey/Toulon putter - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Jucie wedges & Proto irons - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
       
       
       
       
      • 6 replies
    • 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open WITB Photos- Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here...
       
      Links:
       
      Harry Higgs - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Ian Poulter - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Corey Conners - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Harry Higgs - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Matt NeSmith - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Doug Ghim - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      New Cameron Las Vegas covers - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      New Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX shafts - 2021 Shriners Hospitals doe Children Open
       
       

       
      • 14 replies
    • 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Discussion and Links
      2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Monday
      2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Tuesday #3
       
      2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Tuesday #4
       
      WITBs
      Aaron Rai - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Brian Stuard - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Eugenio Chacarra - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Davis Riley - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Brice Garnett - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Curtis Thompson - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Richy Werenski - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Andy Ogletree - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Sahith Theegala - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Will Zalatoris - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Stephan Jaeger - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Kevin Chappell - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Jonas Blixt - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Kevin Streelman - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Sam Burns - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Matthew Wolff - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Jimmy Walker - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Gary Woodland - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Davis Thompson - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Sam Saunders - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship  
      Special Galleries
       
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship  
      Cameron putters - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship  
      • 5 replies
    • 2021 Fortinet Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #8
       
       
      New Ping putter - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      New Bettinardi putters & Cover - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Ping Putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Cameron putter and new ball marker - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
      Sneds - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Peter Uihlein - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Charles Howell, III - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Scott Piercy - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Brandan Steele - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Mito Pereira - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Kevin Tway - WITB -2021 Fortinet Championship
      Joseph Bramlett - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
       
      • 19 replies
    • 2021 Tour Championship - Discussion and Comments
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Tour Championship
      LA Golf putter shafts - 2021 Tour Championship
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 25 replies

×
×
  • Create New...