FAO coaches: Tips for fixing closed face to path issue

All my life I have had a closed face to path issue.  No matter if my path is a fraction out to in (-) or 1 to 2 degrees in to out(+) or even 0 I always fight my face being a little too closed to it thus getting pull draws.

I tchanged my swing over winter because I have a tendency to have a weak left hand grip and a slight open face on the backswing and downswing and then supinate my left wrist to square it.  I can hit the ball reasonably straight doing this and it does get rid of some of the severity of the pull draw but it still there to a degree.

I actually strengthened my left hand grip to 2 and a half knuckles and have a hoganesque right hand grip.  Reason being I wanted a squarer clubface on the backswing and downswing so I wouldnt have to shut it last second with bowing and supination and rolling the face.   I think the stronger grip is causing the face to come in more closed as I am still supinating.  I would like to stick with the stronger grip and sort out this face to path issue some other way rather than going ultra weak with the left hand again.

My ball starts straight or slightly left and draws slightly.  I miss a lot of greens left.  Same with driver.  Pull draws or when bad a pull hook.  My path with irons is 0-1.5+ degrees in to out.  My driver path is 1.5+ to 3.5+

Any tips for fixing this?

Edited by Trap Junior

18 minutes ago, Trap Junior said:

All my life I have had a closed face to path issue.  No matter if my path is a fraction out to in (-) or 1 to 2 degrees in to out(+) or even 0 I always fight my face being a little too closed to it thus getting pull draws.

I tchanged my swing over winter because I have a tendency to have a weak left hand grip and a slight open face on the backswing and downswing and then supinate my left wrist to square it.  I can hit the ball reasonably straight doing this and it does get rid of some of the severity of the pull draw but it still there to a degree.

I actually strengthened my left hand grip to 2 and a half knuckles and have a hoganesque right hand grip.  Reason being I wanted a squarer clubface on the backswing and downswing so I wouldnt have to shut it last second with bowing and supination and rolling the face.   I think the stronger grip is causing the face to come in more closed as I am still supinating.  I would like to stick with the stronger grip and sort out this face to path issue some other way rather than going ultra weak with the left hand again.

My ball starts straight or slightly left and draws slightly.  I miss a lot of greens left.  Same with driver.  Pull draws or when bad a pull hook.  My path with irons is 0-1.5+ degrees in to out.  My driver path is 1.5+ to 3.5+

Any tips for fixing this?

Im not a coach but for 30 years I have pulled my irons regularly, I have a 2 and a half knuckle grip and pull hooks with driver and often with irons have been a constant problem. To add to the woes I set up with a closed clubface. Add in a pull from the arms and it’s been a battle. I fluked upon a TXG video last week about hitting a fade and today was the first round in my life when I never went left.

You May wish to get the opinions of a coach but I will post it if you want me to. It’s a bit of a lottery without you posting a swing and getting some ideas of what you are doing wrong.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hilts1969 said:

Im not a coach but for 30 years I have pulled my irons regularly, I have a 2 and a half knuckle grip and pull hooks with driver and often with irons have been a constant problem. To add to the woes I set up with a closed clubface. Add in a pull from the arms and it’s been a battle. I fluked upon a TXG video last week about hitting a fade and today was the first round in my life when I never went left.

You May wish to get the opinions of a coach but I will post it if you want me to. It’s a bit of a lottery without you posting a swing and getting some ideas of what you are doing wrong.

What do you mean pulling your arms?   On video in 2D my path can look in to out or in to square to in or out to in and all 3 can give me pull draws/hooks.

On video again in 2D down the line my handle goes from in a good position in delivery and impact and then is pulled inside and disappears a little too quickly behind my left leg and the shaft exits low  (well under left shoulder) after impact and stays low and the face can roll over a bit.  

One pro I asked says I should swing more out to the right but not sure that is going to help as I can pull draw from any path.  My face will always be closed to it.  I have seen my path -1 on trackan and the face will be -1 to the path.  Maybe if I got the path even more left that could cause my body to react and get the face more open but I already exit too low imo and dont want that getting any lower.

2 minutes ago, Trap Junior said:

What do you mean pulling your arms?   On video in 2D my path can look in to out or in to square to in or out to in and all 3 can give me pull draws/hooks.

On video again in 2D down the line my handle goes from in a good position in delivery and impact and then is pulled inside and disappears a little too quickly behind my left leg and the shaft exits low  (well under left shoulder) after impact and stays low and the face can roll over a bit.  

One pro I asked says I should swing more out to the right but not sure that is going to help as I can pull draw from any path.  My face will always be closed to it.  I have seen my path -1 on trackan and the face will be -1 to the path.  Maybe if I got the path even more left that could cause my body to react and get the face more open but I already exit too low imo and dont want that getting any lower.

I pull aggressively with the arms and hands towards the ball. This gets me steep so I dump it under plane. I then had a period of over shallowing which meant I was too far in to out.  Duck hooks. My pivot was a mess because I was trying to get my arms and wrists sorted out. 

1 minute ago, Hilts1969 said:

I pull aggressively with the arms and hands towards the ball. This gets me steep so I dump it under plane. I then had a period of over shallowing which meant I was too far in to out.  Duck hooks. My pivot was a mess because I was trying to get my arms and wrists sorted out. 

I get ya.

Its funny when I hit pull draws on trackman it feels like I was over the top but the path number is positive.  Maybe it is over the top and the 5 degrees down I hit on a 7 iron is causing Trackman to read the path to the right.  When I hit down -5 my path read +0.5 to +1

1 minute ago, Trap Junior said:

I get ya.

Its funny when I hit pull draws on trackman it feels like I was over the top but the path number is positive.  Maybe it is over the top and the 5 degrees down I hit on a 7 iron is causing Trackman to read the path to the right.  When I hit down -5 my path read +0.5 to +1

I don't know much about trackman but I had a few really poor lessons from a pro and I was out to in which shocked me. How is the path judged on trackman?

Just now, Hilts1969 said:

I don't know much about trackman but I had a few really poor lessons from a pro and I was out to in which shocked me. How is the path judged on trackman?

Ok I am not sure exactly but the more down you hit on it it pushes the path more in to out.  Its a 3D motion of the clubhead at impact.  I probably explained that badly. 

2 minutes ago, Trap Junior said:

Ok I am not sure exactly but the more down you hit on it it pushes the path more in to out.  Its a 3D motion of the clubhead at impact.  I probably explained that badly. 

I have searched for how trackman works out path but never found a decent answer. At impact would seem to miss quite a bit of went before.  In football or soccer if you are in the states to draw the ball  you can come from the inside but at the point of impact you would be outside the ball.  Are you out to in? If you dump it but impact the ball from the outside do you try to come more from the inside because of trackman? Someone will have the answer.

Ez, line up left of target, then swing to the target.

Another way, take your normal stance, but before you hit the ball open your shoulders towards target slightly, then fix ur feet all without moving face of clubhead

Your shoulders are too closed to ur target line, you hands are subconsciously rolling to get the ball to target 

Edited by N0rs3man

50 minutes ago, N0rs3man said:

Ez, line up left of target, then swing to the target.

Another way, take your normal stance, but before you hit the ball open your shoulders towards target slightly, then fix ur feet all without moving face of clubhead

Your shoulders are too closed to ur target line, you hands are subconsciously rolling to get the ball to target 

This is not the problem and not the fix.

His issue (and mine) is figuring out how to release the club without shutting the face. Right now he is shutting the face through impact regardless of setup and path. I agree with OP that moving to a weaker grip is NOT the answer because it only promotes/requires more face manipulation at impact.

I have had success with a strong grip and swinging left with the feeling of keeping my right arm under my left arm through impact. It prevents my wrists from rolling which shuts the face and generally promotes a power fade which is my preferred ball flight.

6 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

This is not the problem and not the fix.

His issue (and mine) is figuring out how to release the club without shutting the face. Right now he is shutting the face through impact regardless of setup and path. I agree with OP that moving to a weaker grip is NOT the answer because it only promotes/requires more face manipulation at impact.

I have had success with a strong grip and swinging left with the feeling of keeping my right arm under my left arm through impact. It prevents my wrists from rolling which shuts the face and generally promotes a power fade which is my preferred ball flight.

No the problem is shoulders being closed ar impact causing his hands to close to get the ball online. The fix is to open them so his brain doesn't have to roll the club to Square it.

If he usnt playing to a target then that's the problem.

Edited by N0rs3man

17 minutes ago, N0rs3man said:

No the problem is shoulders being closed ar impact causing his hands to close to get the ball online. The fix is to open them so his brain doesn't have to roll the club to Square it.

If he usnt playing to a target then that's the problem.

You are correct in a general sense for some people but it doesn't apply to this situation. You may not understand because you don't have the same struggles with shutting the face down at impact.

He clearly stated that his face is always closed to the path regardless of how far left or right his path is. This is not a setup or path issue it's purely a grip/release issue.

2 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

You are correct in a general sense for some people but it doesn't apply to this situation. You may not understand because you don't have the same struggles with shutting the face down at impact.

He clearly stated that his face is always closed to the path regardless of how far left or right his path is. This is not a setup or path issue it's purely a grip/release issue.

Hmm, if op was looking at a target and playing to it, like a flag for example. Then that should fix it. If op is so focused on mechanics that he can't react to a target, then that is the issue and needs to be resolved first