2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Getting Agitated with Tee Time Availability

I'm clubcorp Atlanta and tee times are hard to come by these days, some of which we can chalk up to COVID. My club however is about to enter the fourth straight week of weekend tournaments, all with extra fees.  Next week is the same, so 5 straight weeks.  I work Monday through Friday, so unless I take time off, weekends are my only opportunity to play. I'm paying $600+ a month for club I basically can't use for 5 straight weeks (unless I pay more to play in a tournament or burn time off.) After the 5th straight week, it's aerification. Does this seem excessive or is this normal?  I get the incremental revenue, but this is not a struggling club at all.

Clubcorp only is interested in revenue.  They will get more revenue from corporate events and screw the membership.   They have your money so they would like to go away now.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Maybe time to ditch the ClubCorp? I have never been a part of one, and the only things I know about them are from what I read on this forum, but I'm struggling to remember where anyone here had anything good to say about them

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

56 minutes ago, Spicoli said:

I'm clubcorp Atlanta and tee times are hard to come by these days, some of which we can chalk up to COVID. My club however is about to enter the fourth straight week of weekend tournaments, all with extra fees.  Next week is the same, so 5 straight weeks.  I work Monday through Friday, so unless I take time off, weekends are my only opportunity to play. I'm paying $600+ a month for club I basically can't use for 5 straight weeks (unless I pay more to play in a tournament or burn time off.) After the 5th straight week, it's aerification. Does this seem excessive or is this normal?  I get the incremental revenue, but this is not a struggling club at all.

That's not normal and i'm at a ClubCorp club.  I'd say more of the blame needs to go to your Head pro and golf committee.  They are setting that schedule and should do a better job of juggling tourneys.  I'm assuming these are interclub tournaments being on the weekend?  If they are outside club events I would lose my $%(# on the GM and head pro.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Never been a ClubCorp member and never plan to be, but from everything I've heard/read they primarily seem to be focused on one thing. Maximizing profits. I'm sure there are the random, one off ClubCorp courses that do it right, but it seems to me the vast majority couldn't care less about how the members actually feel. They'll overbook tournaments, allow in too many members, frequently raise dues, and etc. At the end of the day they know that if they run a member off there is another one waiting to join in his/her place.

Seems to me like it's about time you start looking at other private club options....

$600 a month and you cant play? 

Time to look somewhere else. 

Currently playing 10 clubs

Titleist TSR2 9* [Tensei White 1k 6TX]

Tour Edge CB Pro F2 14.5* [Graphite Design AD-DI 7TX]

Tour Edge CB Pro F2 17.5* [Graphite Design AD-DI 8TX]

GEOM Golf Moe [Raw] [21, 29, 37, 45] [LA Golf 125X]

Artisan Golf [Raw] [54, 60] [LA Golf 125X]

Bettinardi BB1F Blackout [LA Golf Soho]

Iomic Grips make the best grips in golf (sponsor me please)

@TheGolfBench builds my clubs

#PlayOrPerish #LeadTapeChronicles #SlowPlayersWillBeAskedToLeave

11 minutes ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

I'm an old CEO with superior genetics who hits his 2 iron better than the young bucks hit their drivers.

Hopefully, that helps.

Sage advice, now young buck....parlay the former CEO into an invite and the difference in monthly dues for a better club.;)

I resigned my clubcorp membership for this reason.  It was always over crowded.  Day of play had to be afternoon because all tee times were booked, and there seemed to be a lot of tournaments at times I wanted to play.  My place had a killer practice facility.  Resigned back in 2019 and because of proximity I am considering rejoining just for the practice aspect.  Sill a sore spot though.  I would pay much more for an open tee sheet.

Edited by vallygolf

Just now, vallygolf said:

The wise CEO responds with tough love....you must walk before you can run.  Anyone worth their salt must pass through clubcorp.

My parents were farmers—and certainly not wealthy ones.

I stood on my own two feet and dug my career and station in life from the dirt. It’s best for young people to do the same.

1 hour ago, vallygolf said:

Sage advice, now young buck....parlay the former CEO into an invite and the difference in monthly dues for a better club.;)

I resigned my clubcorp membership for this reason.  It was always over crowded.  Day of play had to be afternoon because all tee times were booked, and there seemed to be a lot of tournaments at times I wanted to play.  My place had a killer practice facility.  Resigned back in 2019 and because of proximity I am considering rejoining just for the practice aspect.  Sill a sore spot though.  I would pay much more for an open tee sheet.

I know of multiple clubs in ATL with similar or lower dues that I'd join 100x over a ClubCorp course.

1 hour ago, ND2005 said:

I know of multiple clubs in ATL with similar or lower dues that I'd join 100x over a ClubCorp course.

I'm all ears. I'm in Johns Creek so proximity helps.  Primary obstacle to changing clubs is my wife plays during the week with a group of lady friends. 

To clarify, only one club was outside the tourney (junior event, which is fine..grow the game). The others are interclub, but it's the stacking up that ticks me off with the extra money grab.

Edited by Spicoli
Clarification

Rivermont is in Johns Creek would be your closest, dues are right around that. Low initiation fee. Single owner club. But they are on a pretty long waitlist.

Horseshoe Bend is another around that price point though I think they raised their initiation a lot.

Berkeley Hills in Duluth

There are a lot of mid-priced clubs in Atlanta. 

Since you said Johns Creek, are you referring to Olde Atlanta? If you are, any improvement would surprise me. I played a number of times there as part of Atlanta Singles Golf (always on a Saturday afternoon) years ago. Parking was impossible (one time I was waved to park in front of the club house since I had a brand new Mustang), it was over booked every time, and one time at the last minute they moved our tee time to one where we could not complete our round before dark. Just from my experience there, I would find another course as the could see at that course, it was all about pumping as many people through the course as could be done.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

1 hour ago, Spicoli said:

To clarify, only one club was outside the tourney (junior event, which is fine..grow the game). The others are interclub, but it's the stacking up that ticks me off with the extra money grab.

Well this is really odd. So are these the only interclub tournaments they have all year? If so, at least they get them all out of the way at once, but it is really odd that they pile them all together like that. Maybe they're trying to get them all in while the weather is warm and before they have to aerate? Either way it seems like extremely poor time management / scheduling on the club's part.

It's obviously not fair to all the members who aren't playing in the tournaments, but then again ClubCorp has never really been the "members first" type of organization...

In my opinion, the better way to do interclub tournaments is to have them Fri - Sat, or Thur - Sat. That's what my club does and it works out well for everyone. People playing in the tournaments only have to take one day off work (2 for the Member/Guest), and the people who aren't playing still get to have one weekend day open.

4 hours ago, TM_HOYER said:

Since you said Johns Creek, are you referring to Olde Atlanta? If you are, any improvement would surprise me. I played a number of times there as part of Atlanta Singles Golf (always on a Saturday afternoon) years ago. Parking was impossible (one time I was waved to park in front of the club house since I had a brand new Mustang), it was over booked every time, and one time at the last minute they moved our tee time to one where we could not complete our round before dark. Just from my experience there, I would find another course as the could see at that course, it was all about pumping as many people through the course as could be done.

Laurel, not OA. We are not quite that train wreck but getting close with the absorption of many former Northwoods and Hamilton Mill members.

Edited by Spicoli
Typo

2 hours ago, Spicoli said:

Laurel, not OA. We are not quite that train wreck but getting close with the absorption of many former Northwoods and Hamilton Mill members.

I played the back nine of Laurel once as part of what was Michelin Ultra /  Golf Channel Am Tour. That morning we had about 5 inches of rain but we still had to play. The course was unplayable, I lost three balls to the traps which were lakes at that point, and after nine holes, packed my bag and went home. Laurel Springs does not have fond memories for me.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Knew nothing about them until I read this thread, jeez they're gobbling up everything... (from wikipedia)

In 2014, ClubCorp acquired Sequoia Golf Holdings, Inc. for $265 million, expanding its portfolio by 30 percent. The 50 owned-and-operated clubs included The Woodlands Country Club, home of the Champions Tour's Insperity Invitational.[14]

In March 2017, ClubCorp announced the acquisition of the Rockville, Maryland-based club, Norbeck Country Club. The acquisition was the third of the year.[15]

2006: KSL acquires ClubCorp.

2010: ClubCorp acquires The Country Club of the South in Georgia. The Club, with its signature Jack Nicklaus course, further expands the ClubCorp portfolio in the greater Atlanta market. Also in Atlanta, the historic Commerce Club aligns with the One Ninety One Club to form the new renovated and expanded Commerce Club. ClubCorp develops and opens The Texas Tech Club in Lubbock, Texas.

2011: ClubCorp expands in New York (The Hamlet, Willow Creek and Wind Watch golf and country clubs) and Washington state (Canterwood Golf & Country Club).

2012: ClubCorp adds Mission Hills Golf Club & Resort in China to its network of properties in its reciprocal access program. ClubCorp expands its club management portfolio with LPGA International and Hollytree Country Club, and acquires Hartefeld National. The iconic Houston Club joins forces with Downtown Clubs of Houston’s Plaza location to form the new Houston Club in a new, renovated location at One Shell Plaza.

2013: ClubCorp expands in Oklahoma (Oak Tree Country Club) and New Jersey (Cherry Valley Country Club).[13] ClubCorp sells 5 resorts to Omni Hotels & Resorts.[16]

2014: ClubCorp acquires Sequoia Golf which includes 43 private, 6 public golf and country clubs and 1 sports club.[17] Additional acquisitions included Rolling Green Country Club[18] and Ravinia Green Country Club[19] in the Chicago area, and Oro Valley Country Club in Arizona.[20]

2015: ClubCorp acquires six clubs in one purchase in North Carolina (Bermuda Run Country Club and Firethorne Country Club), Georgia (Brookfield Country Club), Virginia (Ford's Colony Country Club), Tennessee (Temple Hills Country Club) and Florida (Legacy Golf Club at Lakewood Ranch).[21]

2016: ClubCorp announces closure of University Club in Jacksonville Florida, effective Dec 20, 2016.[22]

2017: On September 18, ClubCorp is acquired by Certain Investment Funds Affiliated with Apollo Global Management in an All-Cash Transaction Valued at $1.1 Billion. Shareholders received $17.12 per share. The stock MYCC is removed from the NYSE. [23]

2018: ClubCorp hired David Pillsbury as the new CEO in June 2018

I belong to a Club Corp club and my home club doesn't have that big of a problem. The vast majority of our outings are on non-holiday Monday's.  Yes we have occasional member only tournaments on the weekend but that's at member request since they're typically working during the week.  We try to have these events done by 2pm so members not participating came still get a round in. Plus there isn't that many and they are announced in the newsletter. The only thing I've noticed is the tee sheet this year has been much fuller due to people working from home.  I talk to friends belonging to other private clubs in my area and they tell me they're much busier too.  Same with the public courses.

Edited by cristphoto

6 hours ago, cristphoto said:

I belong to a Club Corp club and my home club doesn't have that big of a problem. The vast majority of our outings are on non-holiday Monday's.  Yes we have occasional member only tournaments on the weekend but that's at member request since they're typically working during the week.  We try to have these events done by 2pm so members not participating came still get a round in. Plus there isn't that many and they are announced in the newsletter. The only thing I've noticed is the tee sheet this year has been much fuller due to people working from home.  I talk to friends belonging to other private clubs in my area and they tell me they're much busier too.  Same with the public courses.

Same here, member of a Clubcorp in NW Atlanta. They have had some members tournaments but not back-to-back weekends, and generally you can get out in the afternoon. They did shut down the club for Member-Guest (3 days) but that's the first time I noticed it. The Tee sheets are a lot busier but I've always gotten out one way or another. 

There is pressure on the southern Clubcorp clubs to try to overcompensate for the northern/western clubs that had to close in the covid wave.