Srixon ZX Utility

Mainehacker21

The ZX has won MGS's most want utility. Although, the cons on the club were that it's loud and clicky. I'm not a fan of MGS and particularly their testing so take it with a grain of salt I guess. 

I'm sticking with the U85. I still have the U65, which I actually prefer, but I've so called upgraded, so have to take my medicine. New doesn't always translate to better. 

Mizuno ST-X 230 10.5

Mizuno ST-Z 15d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

WIlson Staff C300 forged 4-pw

Srixon ZX utility 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro

I had both.  I really liked the ZU85 but it did seem a little chunky down by the ball.  The sounds and feel are second to none, IMO.  I liked the look of the ZX much better at address and liked the idea of a slightly thinner sole and less visibility of the back of the club at address.  I have really had to dedicate time to training with it to gain some consistency.  I feel I would hook hybrids too much so utility iron is my preference now.  

I ended up switching the shaft with a graphite design driving iron in both clubs, never regretted it!!

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max, 9.0 degree, Ventus Blue TR 6X

3 Wood: Ping G425 LST, 14.5 Degree, Aldila Rogue Black 130 MSI, 70 TX

Utility: Srixon ZX, 20 degree, Graphite Design Tour AD-95 X

Irons: Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo, TT X100

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 56 & 60 wedges

Putter:  Bettinardi BB8 or SS28 

Ball: Titleist ProV1

On 8/6/2021 at 11:43 PM, PinkStripes said:

Good feedback quizzy. I just purchased a ZX utility in my standard iron steel shaft, but it feels very heavy with the bulkier head. Might have to try a 100-90g DI or hybrid shaft instead.

Maybe see if their is a lite version of the steel shaft you play? I play 125x modus in my irons and put the 105x in the ZX 2iron and as far as SW it feels great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wely324 said:

Maybe see if their is a lite version of the steel shaft you play? I play 125x modus in my irons and put the 105x in the ZX 2iron and as far as SW it feels great.

I've done the exact same thing as well and it feels great. Would highly recommend.

Driver: Srixon ZX7 Tensei CK Pro Orange 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist TSi3 (15*) Graphite Design Tour AD TSG 75X

Driving Iron: Srixon ZX Utility 2 (18*) Modus3 105 X

Irons: Srixon ZX7 Modus3 105 X (4-PW)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 52, 56, 60 S400

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S Stroke Lab

I'm on the verge of grabbing a ZXU 23 to go with my ZX5 5-P, but wondering what folks think about the ZX5 4 iron.

Has anyone hit/compared both the ZXU 23/ 4 iron and the ZX5 4 iron? For me, I am guessing the ZXU will be a better gap to the ZX5 5 iron. My ZX5 5 is 1 degree weak at 25. I'm a fairly average speed swinger (95mph driver) so help with launch and ball speed is what I need in that spot.

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

14 hours ago, Natural1 said:

I'm on the verge of grabbing a ZXU 23 to go with my ZX5 5-P, but wondering what folks think about the ZX5 4 iron.

Has anyone hit/compared both the ZXU 23/ 4 iron and the ZX5 4 iron? For me, I am guessing the ZXU will be a better gap to the ZX5 5 iron. My ZX5 5 is 1 degree weak at 25. I'm a fairly average speed swinger (95mph driver) so help with launch and ball speed is what I need in that spot.

To clarify, if I were to go ZX5 4 iron I would probably do a utility type build, with a slightly longer and lighter shaft (my ZX5s are Modus 120) and would probably need to bend it to 23 degrees. So my question is more of a head vs head question.

The ZX5 5 iron is just fantastic, the flight is plenty high, spins sufficiently, and handles my typical toe miss as good as anything I've ever had - likely due to the extra weight out on the toe. I'm just wondering how the ZX utility head compares. The tungsten is apparently more centered in the ZXU.

I've played 4 hybrids for years but we have two par 3s on my home course that are sometimes too long for the 5 iron, and the 4 hybrid is too much. This is really more of an experiment than anything else.

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up going with a ZX4 4 iron and bent it to just shy of 23 degrees. Limited testing so far but this thing flies high and strong.

It's certainly not the prettiest thing I've ever seen, with the back of the club visible at address, but I was looking for easy launch and it definitely does that. Sound/feel is quite nice as well.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone paired with 585 iron set?  I have 585 set with 6-PW and thinking about putting a 23 degree into the bag??

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD 50S

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Tensei Blue 1K 60S

Paradym Ai Smoke 24* Tensei Pro 1K 70S

Srixon ZX5 mkII  Modus 105R

Callaway JAWS RAW Modus/DG S400

Mizuno M Craft VI

26 minutes ago, JLo_73 said:

Has anyone paired with 585 iron set?  I have 585 set with 6-PW and thinking about putting a 23 degree into the bag??

I use a U85 4/23 with my Z565’s. It has the recoil shaft. I may have the shaft from my four iron out in it. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

• 1 month later...

Wanted to revive an old thread here. Going to pick up the zx utility 4 iron at 23 degrees. Should I match my dg ti s400 shafts in my irons or go lighter. I understand a lighter weight shaft in an 18 or 20 degree but as my “4 iron” what do you recommend?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 50.08F & 56M DG S200

Callaway Jaws Raw Face Chrome 60Z DG Spinner 115 Steel

Odyssey Dual Force OR  Odyssey Jailbird LE 380 Microhinge Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

First off the ZX utility is a fantastic club! Now my personal opinion when it come to something I am considering an iron is that I prefer my iron shafts in a utility iron. My ZX 3 iron has a MMT 125TX and my ZX7s have X100 in them. So I consider that close enough. Was looking for one with T100 and the MMT came up, which was one I had been wanting to try, and the profile is very similar to DG. 

My transition from 4-3 is very seamless. It’s just a slightly bigger, hotter, more forgiving club. They both feel very similar and the flight is very similar. I get a touch more distance out of the utility because of how it’s constructed but not night and day. Instead of a 10 yard gap it’s more like 15-18 with the ZX. Anything lighter shaft wise would push that further, and for me I wouldn’t care for that. 

I use it for a lot of tee shots and shots beyond the 4 iron. It suits what I wanted out of the club perfectly even with a heavier, more iron set like shaft. And feels like an iron in hand. I also carry a APEX pro 20 hybrid as well that I use as a step up in distance to my ZX. It’s longer by about 10-15 yards when we’ll struck. They compliment themselves well. 

[u]Driver [/u]- Taylormade M5 9 degree - Tensei Pro White 70TX
[u]3 wood[/u] - TEE CB4--Axivcore Tour Green 85X
[u]Hybrid[/u] - Callaway X2hot 18 Tour Green 75X
[u]Irons[/u] - Titleist 714 AP2 4-pw DG X100
[u]Wedges [/u]- SM7 52, SM5 58 DG X100
[u]Putter [/u]- Seemore FGP Mallet

Just ordered one of these! I've had the zx7s for a year now and love them. Decided to build a driving iron to replace my ping 410 crossover. 

Zx utility 20* with a ventus black 10tx on order

Current set up 20* Ping 410 crossover with a tensei pro white 100tx 

Can't wait to test these 2 head to head 🤙🏽😎

Edited by TJ83
Grammar

14 hours ago, odshot68 said:

Wanted to revive an old thread here. Going to pick up the zx utility 4 iron at 23 degrees. Should I match my dg ti s400 shafts in my irons or go lighter. I understand a lighter weight shaft in an 18 or 20 degree but as my “4 iron” what do you recommend?

I have the 4i shafted with MMT 105. It’s 113g uncut and my irons shafts are 119g uncut. Last year I played a MP 18 Fli Hi shafted with a Modus 120x – wasn’t the same shaft as my irons but similar enough .

Honestly I think I preferred the feel of a steel shaft at normal iron weight in my 4 utility. Could also be due to the different feeling/feedback of a graphite shaft. If I were to do it again I think I would just match my irons shafts, but I’ll stick with it because the results are acceptable and because the MMT looks sick haha. 

• Like 1

My WITB

Cobra Darkspeed LS 10.5º -1º | LIN-Q M40x White 6F5

Cobra Darkspeed LS 14.5º +1º | LIN-Q M40x Blue 7F5

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus Rescue 19.5º | Tour AD IZ 95x

Srixon ZX Utility 4i | MMT 105TX

Cobra King Tour (5-6) / CB (7-PW) | KBS $-Taper HT 125 S+

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 50º & 54º | DG TI S400

Cleveland RTX Full Face 58º |  Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon Garage Las Vegas H7 | KBS CT Tour

Ball: Pro V1x

Previously had the ZU85 4 iron with the stock recoil F5 shaft. Nothing wrong with it but on a deal I couldn’t pass up I got a zx utility 3 turned up to 23* and I just love the smaller profile and no discernible difference in forgiveness or turf interaction. I replaced the recoil shaft this time with my gamer modus 120x and it’s now my straightest club in the bag 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for feedback. Club is on order. 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 50.08F & 56M DG S200

Callaway Jaws Raw Face Chrome 60Z DG Spinner 115 Steel

Odyssey Dual Force OR  Odyssey Jailbird LE 380 Microhinge Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/19/2022 at 5:21 AM, TJ83 said:

Just ordered one of these! I've had the zx7s for a year now and love them. Decided to build a driving iron to replace my ping 410 crossover. 

Zx utility 20* with a ventus black 10tx on order

Current set up 20* Ping 410 crossover with a tensei pro white 100tx 

Can't wait to test these 2 head to head 🤙🏽😎

Has the testing begun?

32 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Has the testing begun?

Yes!! And the ZX is the winner by miles! 

G410 Crossover is a great club but the longer heel to toe blade length and slight offset always made me fear the overdraw hook. Then I'd over correct on the next swing and block it. Feel with the crossover was more on the firm side and middle contact just kind of felt like nothing. Flight and distance were good, just was never comfortable with it, especially when it's main purpose for me was off the tee in tighter or shorter holes. 

Srixon ZX utilty was immediately better. Like the shorter heel to toe blade length, less offset but it's just right amount of thickness to inspire confidence. Mine is hotmelted to D5 and a half inch longer than my zx7 4 iron. Feel and sound are amazing, the ventus black 10tx feels great, it doesn't play as firm as the my driver and 3 wood shaft (both ventus black 6x,7x). Forgiveness seems better than the crossover to me. I'm getting a solid 255-260 off the deck and 270 carry off the tee, so it's no slouch in the hotness department. 

I'm really happy I decided to grab one, I just feel so comfortable with it. Not worried about any bias with it, I can hit the shot I want. Of course I have to make a good swing but it's nice to know I'm not fighting a hook. 

Wish I had numbers but we have no launch monitors, this is all from range sessions, and about 6 rounds of golf with it. The ZX is firmly in the bag!

Edited by TJ83
Grammar
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2022 at 1:30 PM, AP76 said:

Thinking about one of these. Really like my rsi udi but enjoying the z785s so much I'm considering changing. Has anyone made that change?

Yes and the u85 is superior in every category besides the size. Really hated the feel, forgiveness and sound compared to the u85 

17 hours ago, sc29650 said:

Quick question. I currently game the zx 2 iron and zx 3 iron. The 3 has a nice sound to it when hit while the 2 iron sounds completely different with a "ping" sound. I thought something was wrong with the shaft, had it changed out and still has this sound. Anyone else experience this?

Yes couldn’t stand the sound so got rid of it