Round Edel Grip

Underdog1924

I'm curious what people's thoughts were on the Edel round putter grip.  My daughter and I have played a bit of mini golf lately and the round grips feel pretty good.

Titleist TSR3 9.0 w/ HZRDUS Blue 6.5
Titleist TSR3 13.5 w/ TENSEI Black 1K 75X
Titleist TSR2 18* hybrid w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Titleist T200 4 iron w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Titleist 5-P T150 w/ DG120 X100
Titleist Vokey SM8 50F bent to 48

Titleist Vokey SM9 54D, 60S
Toulon Las Vegas H7

The new ones are nicer since there are options for sizes and if you want full round or round with a flat front. The older one was nice but I found my hands to be too fidgety on it at the time, but I was personally having issues with grip and hand position. 

Just be aware these are heavy grips so depending on the putter you could counter balance it easily. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

56 minutes ago, cmporto10 said:

I’ve been using the original round grip this year coupled with the claw grip. Really enjoying it so far. I also recently bought the slim round and I’m excited to try that out as well. 

How does the new Slim Round compare in size to the old grip? 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I can two-putt with any grip but for making putts the round grip works best for me. I’ve gone to it, gone away from it, and then back to it. It simply seems easier, I can’t say for sure why. I like the heavy one paired with a heavy head because it all balances out and feels like it is not a heavy putter — it feels like a 340-350g putter — but I get the benefit of more overall weight. 

The round grip can help free up your natural putting stroke. One less variable to worry about in aiming the putter because it does not matter how you place your hands on it. Feels less mechanical to me. I tried a wristlock grip, really just a big square grip turned sideways, and I literally could not make a putt with it. Felt like the grip was pulling me offline. With the round I can focus on aiming the putter face and not even think about the grip. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I used it on a couple non-Edel putters, really liked it ……great feel and gives a good  balance feeling with fingers wrapped evenly around it.

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K 70g  45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

I use the midsize round Edel grip on my Mizuno M-craft. Love it. I feel it does match up well with my stroke which has a moderate arch to it. I like a putter with toe hang and this pairs nicely. I will say I had 8 gram weights in it when I took off the original grip and had to throw the 12g weights in because it did counterbalance balance it so watch out for that....

• Like 1

Driver : Ping G410 LST w/ Evenflow Black 6.5

Fairways: Titleist TS2 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7x

Taylormade M5 Ti w/ GD BB7x

Irons: Miura CB57 w/ KBS C-taper 125 (4-9i)

Wedges: Raw Zip-core 46, 54, 58 & SM7 50

Putter: Ping Tyne 4 w/ BGT Stability 

I purchased one of each to try, a slim and a large.  The slim closely matches the grip weight of the PP58 Midsize I have now while the large is heavier, thought I might try some backweighting.  Whichever I don't like I'll have up on the BST sometime.  They still haven't shipped, so no review yet, but I'll post one up when I get them.

Edited by Tupperwolf

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Round Slim just came in and I put it on my NP2.  Like the feel and seem to be hitting everything more solid.  My only criticism is that the right hand feels larger than the left.  I would have prefered it the same taper all the way down.

Titleist TSR3 9.0 w/ HZRDUS Blue 6.5
Titleist TSR3 13.5 w/ TENSEI Black 1K 75X
Titleist TSR2 18* hybrid w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Titleist T200 4 iron w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Titleist 5-P T150 w/ DG120 X100
Titleist Vokey SM8 50F bent to 48

Titleist Vokey SM9 54D, 60S
Toulon Las Vegas H7

I a,most bought a used Edel and was planning on switching the grip out immediately.   The guy that was selling it urged me not to change it without giving it a chance.  He said that for him it made it much more natural to adjust his hands right before putting to make up for any change in set up.  It seemed counterintuitive to me but he swore by it.  Is this the main logic behind the grip or is there another reason Edel goes this non traditional route?

With a flat front grip you align to the grip. With a round grip you align to the club face and it lets you put your hands on more naturally. That's the idea... David Edel says that he's measured the difference and it can make a difference in aim. A good player he was working with started missing putts and it was because she had put on a flat front grip. He checked her aim and it was off. Went back to a round grip and it was spot on again. He has some videos on the subject. 

• Like 1

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

13 minutes ago, Tupperwolf said:

With a flat front grip you align to the grip. With a round grip you align to the club face and it lets you put your hands on more naturally. That's the idea... David Edel says that he's measured the difference and it can make a difference in aim. A good player he was working with started missing putts and it was because she had put on a flat front grip. He checked her aim and it was off. Went back to a round grip and it was spot on again. He has some videos on the subject. 

Yes, this is it. Depending on the individual and how you place your hands, a flat front grip can have your forearms aimed differently from the club face. With a round grip, that variable is removed.  It does not matter how you place your hands, the grip becomes a neutral part. That is what I like about it. One less thing to think about. 

Received both grips today and was pleasantly surprised to find that the PP58 Midsize grip blew off my putter without a hitch.  I had a spare in the closet but it's nice to not waste a perfectly good grip.  I blew on the slim, which is stated to be 85g vs. the pp58 Midsize 80g; immediate reaction was that the clubhead felt far too heavy.  This surprised me because I've had extremely good distance control with the Tyne 4 heavy 365g head and 80g standard midsize grip.  I blew off the slim grip and blew on the larger sized one stated to be 105g (each of the grips actually has this number printed on the inside so you can see at a glance the weight of the grip you're putting on).  Immediately it felt perfect with a few practice strokes.  So I'll be giving the larger size round grip a trial run on the practice green and on the course next weekend.  Looking forward to it!

PXL_20210809_210258746.jpg

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, Tupperwolf said:

Received both grips today and was pleasantly surprised to find that the PP58 Midsize grip blew off my putter without a hitch.  I had a spare in the closet but it's nice to not waste a perfectly good grip.  I blew on the slim, which is stated to be 85g vs. the pp58 Midsize 80g; immediate reaction was that the clubhead felt far too heavy.  This surprised me because I've had extremely good distance control with the Tyne 4 heavy 365g head and 80g standard midsize grip.  I blew off the slim grip and blew on the larger sized one stated to be 105g (each of the grips actually has this number printed on the inside so you can see at a glance the weight of the grip you're putting on).  Immediately it felt perfect with a few practice strokes.  So I'll be giving the larger size round grip a trial run on the practice green and on the course next weekend.  Looking forward to it!

PXL_20210809_210258746.jpg

I play the larger one, which is not very large, and it is perfect. I also like the weight. If I have a 370g head, I go with a 105g grip and 25g in the shaft 4 inches from the butt (not a counterweight in the butt end, but an opti-vibe in the shaft.) Makes for a very balanced putter. 

You probably can play the 85g version if you put 20g in the shaft. Those opti-vibes are great. You can put tighten them at any point in the shaft depending on what you like. If I played the 85g I would no doubt add 40g in the shaft. What’s weird is you will feel that inner weight more or less depending on where you place it. 

Good luck. Now don’t even think about the grip beyond putting your hands on correctly. It is surprising what can happen if you let yourself putt naturally. 

Absolutely love it.  Was not sure at first...like not at all - I came from a SuperStroke 2.0 Mid which I used for about 5 years.

I think they put the mid or larger sized one on my putter (got it last year)

Gave it a chance and the results spoke for themselves.  I really believe that my eyes and hands being able to adjust naturally help - vs always anchoring to a flat front grip.

I have many more sub 30 putt rounds since I got this putter.  Last time I calculated old vs new putter, I was saving just over 2 strokes per round.  Most recently - had a 26 and 28 putt round.

Worth a try

• Thanks 1

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

I think I read where the main reason they started using a round grip was to support their fitting process.  Changing the hosel, shaft bend configurations means a flat front putter grip could not be used for all types of changes to other components during the fitting.  Round grip = viola!

Then they (made up) or noticed other benefits with aiming.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

All true, that.  I think I mentioned that I have an Edel putting fitting coming up next month, I fell down a rabbit hole of fitting videos and I'm mesmerized by the knowledge I've gained in a short period of time.  I learned that I'm a "side-on" player according to the Mike Davis biomechanics test, and that's caused me to reassess my putting grip, getting my hands to face each other more, which feels to me more under than I was before.  I never realized that I had them in the wrong position before, which has contributed to some poor strokes and misses.  Spent some time putting on the carpet and I was rolling the balls with incredible consistency.  I'm really looking forward to getting out on the course, and I won't even get my new putter for weeks!

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

4 hours ago, Tupperwolf said:

All true, that.  I think I mentioned that I have an Edel putting fitting coming up next month, I fell down a rabbit hole of fitting videos and I'm mesmerized by the knowledge I've gained in a short period of time.  I learned that I'm a "side-on" player according to the Mike Davis biomechanics test, and that's caused me to reassess my putting grip, getting my hands to face each other more, which feels to me more under than I was before.  I never realized that I had them in the wrong position before, which has contributed to some poor strokes and misses.  Spent some time putting on the carpet and I was rolling the balls with incredible consistency.  I'm really looking forward to getting out on the course, and I won't even get my new putter for weeks!

It is easy to get pulled in to those videos! But one aspect does make so much sense: If the natural swinging of your arms is being inhibited by how you grip the club, it is harder to be consistent, harder to have a smooth stroke.

Lots of ways to putt successfully. Consistency is what matters. The fitting is really about working with however you grip things naturally. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2021 at 5:52 PM, Tupperwolf said:

I learned that I'm a "side-on" player according to the Mike Davis biomechanics test,

Can you send a link to this particular video?  I feel lost looking through everything.

On 8/12/2021 at 5:52 PM, Tupperwolf said:

Edel putting fitting coming up next month

How'd it go?  Sticking with the round grip?  Which one?

1 hour ago, johnsomp said:

Can you send a link to this particular video?  I feel lost looking through everything.

How'd it go?  Sticking with the round grip?  Which one?

Search youtube for the video "impacts of arm length and putting stroke" and "how your body impacts your putting stroke".  These are good examples where David Edel talks about it, specifically the second one, there are others, if you find some longer full fitting videos you will see more talk about it.

Absolutely sticking with the round grip, I use the 105g standard round.  I have a spare 85g slim round that I'll probably throw on a Bullseye putter that I keep around just for fun.

I had a fitting earlier this month and made a thread about it here.

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Actually check the video "hidden secret to understanding your best putting grip".  That's the one that talks about fold patterns, side on vs. cover vs. under.  But it's important to put that together with the rest.

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

I've got the Edel standard round putter grip on the way to me... it'll be going on a 'new' putter that's also on the way that I got off Ebay - to hopefully replace a Superstroke Wristlock gripped putter of the same style... 'tis a thing of beauty 

😂

s-l500.jpg.91ae97ebfaf0ae4b00aaf1826a62cb91.jpg

Edited by coops

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

• 5 months later...

I recently installed 2 Standard round and 1 Slim round on 3 of my gamers.  And I really like them a lot.  I like the feel.  the Standard is quite heavy and provides some counter balance, and simply enjoy the feel.  I believe that my putting is getting better.  Last round I think i only had 1 3 putt vs the 4 or 5 that I typically have.

Edited by dbdors

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Been using the slim round on my bullseye.  The thing is soooo good.  If it were more forgiving it would be in the bag 100% of the time.  As it is I rotate because I always feel like I lose a stroke or two based on imperfect strikes that don't carry the speed I intend.  I am trying some other small/standard sized traditional putter grips on my other putters and often wish I had the round installed.  I might have to order up some more from Edel.  I do believe that the round grip helps with consistency, paradoxically enough.  With a flat sided grip the putterface can move a little if you squeeze the grip to start or during the stroke.  With a round grip it doesn't seem like it moves.  We all know 1* off is enough to miss from 6 feet.

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

• 4 months later...
On 3/9/2022 at 4:28 PM, Nebraska said:

I use JUMBOMAX STR8 TECH™ NON-TAPERED grip on my putter.  I thought a round grip would feel odd but for me it actually feels more normal.  

I did the same thing with my old putter after being fitted for an Edel EAS 1.5.....had to wait weeks for my Edel to be built so I took off the flat Super Stroke grip and swapped it out with an extra STR8 grip....felt much comfortable.

also...I believe somebody asked for the video from Edel on the round grip.....see below...

TaylorMade 10.5* Sim2 Max - Callaway Rogue Driver 15.5* - Callaway 21* Apex 21 4H - Cobra T-Rail 6i, 8i & PW - Callaway Jaws MD5 56*-10* - Edel EAS 1.5 Putter - Sun Mountain C-130 5-Way Cart Bag - Clicgear Model 4.0 Push Cart

...gradually upgrading the old equipment after a 20 year golf hiatus...😮😱