SBST putting stroke with slight arc putter: Would it hurt?

ChipNRun

I learned as a straight back, straight through (SBST) putter, and went to arc sometime about year 2000.

I returned to SBST about three years ago. My putter is now a face-balanced Ping Sigma G Tyne, with a heavy Evnroll grip. The club just feels heavy sometimes.

My former putter is a 1973 Ping Pal. It is slightly toe-heavy in the finger-balance test. I picked it up circa 2007, and was fitted it for it in my arc days.

What can I expect if I use the Pal for SBST stroke?

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

SBST folks can use FB or very slight toe hang. My old gamer was a Corza Ghost. I now game a TAIII #2 impact putter that has 10* hang and love it. Was even better than a FB SIK i acquired. Only way to know is test it out. Putting is so subjective to everyone its not a finite thing. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Hzrdus RDX Blue 70g 6.0 (back up:Callaway Epic Flash SZ with  Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75")

2H: Callaway Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: Sub70 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid (Backup 54*,60*: Ping S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: Putter: TAII #2  

Ball: Snell MTB-X

Tracked by Arccos

I think it depends on the individual. I use both face balanced and slight toe hang putters and putt equally well but I'm terrible with strong arc putters. 

I think it comes down to individual tendencies? 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."
 "But what about my asthma?"
" I'll give you asthma."

I remember reading a comment on here saying that people claiming to have a SBST stoke are fooling themselves, or something to that effect. I don't believe that. I think our body creates a reliable stroke that one needs to trust and not fight. You as a SBST putter will likely fight a putter with more toe hang. I think you'd find success, but it will take more work for you to stroke comfortably than your face balanced putter. 

• Confused 1

The SBST needs a face balanced putter is a myth in my opinion because it doesn't consider face rotation in the equation along with the path.  I was fitted into my pretty high toe hang putter with what is considered a SBST path because my face rotation did not match up with a face balanced putter.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9.5* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 15* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75TX
PXG 0317X Proto 19* Project X HC1
PXG 0311T Gen 3 Project X 6.0HS
Titleist Vokey SM8 50*F, 55*S, 60*T Project X 6.0
Bettinardi BB0 Trisole Flow DASS

3 hours ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

I remember reading a comment on here saying that people claiming to have a SBST stoke are fooling themselves, or something to that effect. I don't believe that. I think our body creates a reliable stroke that one needs to trust and not fight. You as a SBST putter will likely fight a putter with more toe hang. I think you'd find success, but it will take more work for you to stroke comfortably than your face balanced putter. 

Perhaps because to have a truly SBST stroke a player would have to manipulate the crap out of it?  With the shaft at an angle, not straight up and down, the putter has to travel on an arc. That iswht Bryson has his putter built with specs as upright as are allowed and the also putts with the heel a bit in the air. He is trying to get as upright as possible to come close to a true SBST stroke.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speen PX Hzrdus Green 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Adams A12 21* UST VTS Silver 75s

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 6-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

8 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Perhaps because to have a truly SBST stroke a player would have to manipulate the crap out of it?  With the shaft at an angle, not straight up and down, the putter has to travel on an arc. That iswht Bryson has his putter built with specs as upright as are allowed and the also putts with the heel a bit in the air. He is trying to get as upright as possible to come close to a true SBST stroke.

Amen.  The laws of physics dictate that there is always arc in a putting stroke due to angled shaft. Spent lots of time and money fussing with putters and specs and 'strokes' over past 40+ years. Putted primarily with a 1975 Ram Zebra (face balanced) and a 1980 Ping Pal (slight arc) trying to be use SBST (Pelz method) - many hours /days/ years of practice resulted in a 'cut' putting stroke (think Billy Mayfair) to compensate for a natural face rotation of 8+ degrees. Ball started 'on line' because I delivered the putter face square to ball at impact.  Putts per round ranged from 32-34 per round maintained 2-6 hdcp . Then 4 years ago, I broke down and got fitted by 3 different golf professionals - all (3)came up with same 'anser' - 4* flat/strong arc or toe hang >  45*/34" length  = Ping Zing  or #9. At age 70 my drives only go about 225 (not 255); am hitting 2 clubs more with every iron shot; but my putts per round range 26-30. In my opinion, go get fitted before you go putter shopping

• Like 2

Walked into local golf shop one day and found my pro was gone. Had worked with him for three years, but he had decided to retire and move back to Idaho over Christmas break.

One thing he told me on SBST putting: You can only keep it on line for about 8 inches of backstroke. Any more than that and you'll probably miss wide.

This length backstroke would normally come into play for someone trying a putt from off the fairway, or running a shot 60 feet up a shaved bank. Good to know.

For additional putting nuances: One site suggested that right-handed players who are right-eye dominant might do better with SBST than arc putting.

I think I need to get a putting lesson. Current putter worked well for one-plus seasons, and this year it just doesn't.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Went and got fit one year ago with SAM putt lab. Had 6* of arc in my stroke, so I was fit for a SBST putter.

However, with the putter face balanced, it would constantly hood on me in the “downswing.” So, Went and got a Taylormade Spider with small toe hang, I enjoy it much better because the toe hang forces my face to rotate, and not complete stay closed the whole way for me.