Who bags two irons with the same number on the bottom of the club?

Mookieb10

For example, I play some traditionally lofted irons from 5-PW and I’m shafting up a P790 5 iron to use as my “4 iron”. The P790 5 iron will be 23.5* and my traditional 5 iron in 27.5*. 

How would you handle the club length in this scenario? My traditional 5 iron is 38.5” and I’d usually play a 4 iron at 38.75 or 39”. However, this is a 5 iron head, which will be approximately 7-8 grams heavier than a 4 iron head. This head was originally in a club, built by TM, that played standard length and swing weight in an DG 120 S300 shaft. If I play it at 38.75, I’ll start to bump up against some swing weight issues. If I play it at 38.5”, I’m uncertain how that gapping would look. 

Thoughts? Particularly, how much distance would you expect 1/2” take away? FYI, I’m open to a myriad of different solutions including cutting a 1/4” off the traditional 5 iron or bending the P790 a touch stronger and/or the Legacy Black a touch weaker. 

• Like 1

I've played regularly with 3 4h's. A 20 degree BB19 (200 yd), a 23 degree M3 (175-185), and a 23 degree Cobra DWS (160-170). The M3 is now gone, but they all have me significantly different shots. True, the 20 degree isn't really the same as the others, more of a 3h degree wise, but it's still marked a 4h.

I currently have a driving iron and a hybrid that are essentially the same carry club, but the flight and rollout is really different and I'm "in-between" fairway woods which means they both have room in the bag.

When it all gets sorted out, I may very well wind up with two "4-irons", according to stamping, but if they're 20 yards apart on carry distance I won't care what the number on the club is.

You need to look at Cameron Champ's bag. He won the 3M with two Ping 4 irons in his bag:

image.png.738cec0ede1a1d1159c5f884591643eb.pngDriver: Ping G425 LST (10.5 degrees @9) (14g CG shifter in neutral)
      Shaft: Mitsubishi
Tensei AV Raw White 75 TX (45.25 inches, tipped 1.5 inches, D6+)

Irons: Ping i500 (3, 4), Ping iBlade (4-PW)
      Shafts: True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7

Wedges: TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe Raw (52, 56, 60)
      Shafts: True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Ping Prototype PLD Anser 4

CC - WITB - 3M

• Like 3

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I have apex pro 19’s in 7-p and an epic forged 7 iron and 6 iron that I use as my 5 and 6 iron.  The length works out fine as the epic forged are longer than standard.  I have recoil 95’s in the apex pros and planned on putting the same shaft in the epic forged but the steelfiber fc90’s in them worked out well so I never bothered changing it.  Only once in probably 60 rounds or so have I hit the wrong 7 iron 😂 

*raises hand*

Although I do it for different reasons. I have two 6 irons in my bag. One is from my Srixon zx5 set and the other is an old Callaway RAZR X Forged 6 iron from like 2012. It has the loft of my Srixon 7 iron, but half an inch longer. I use it to hit off of rocks or sketchy lies that I wouldn't dare hit my beloved Srixon off of. 🙂

Are you going to use the same DG S300 in the P790 head? Maybe look at something slightly lighter to avoid swing weight issues. I'd start it at 39" and see how it works out. 

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

I currently have a 6 iron and 6 hybrid with the same loft. The hybrid has a slightly longer shaft.

I tend to draw my long irons and hit the hybrid straight.

SO I use the 6 iron when I need a draw, or want to keep it low.

The 6 hybrid for high and straight or fade.

• Like 1

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

Me, two 6-irons.  A Mizuno JPX 919 HM at 26* and a Cobra Tour forged at 28.5*.  At my course there are several shots between my six and seven iron, hence the need.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

I had two "5-irons" or "6-irons" once, I remember that. But it was years ago and I don't remember which particular two sets of irons I was combining at the time. But it was like I was using the 4-5-6 from one set and the 6-7-8-9 from another set and it was a strong lofts versus weak lofts thing. But anyway, too many clubs since then to remember what they were...

Not exactly, but I carry a 5 hybrid and a 6 iron that are only 1 degree apart. My 6 iron is 27 degrees and the 5 Hybrid is 26 degrees. Through some experimenting I found that the gap  between these is about 13-15 yards which has been working well. The 5 hybrid then blends well down to the 4 hybrid.

I've never been a great long iron player. Took a while to get over my ego and bag the 5 hybrid but it's been great for some shots with yardages I have every time I play my home course. I think there's a very strong argument to be made for focusing less on having a clean bag with sequential clubs and just putting what fits your needs in the bag. 

11 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

You need to look at Cameron Champ's bag. He won the 3M with two Ping 4 irons in his bag:

It makes sense when considering stock loft of the 4-irons iBlade is 23.5 while i500 is 21 degrees. Maybe bent for gapping but the 3-4 i500 he's carrying are basically a 2-3 relative to the iBlades. This should be somewhat common for folks with mixed sets.

Sometimes I take my G410 5hyb out and put in a 24* Epic Forged 6 iron that goes the same distance.

Regular 6 iron is 26* and is slightly shorter in length

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

7 hours ago, miamistomp said:

I have a set pitching wedge that  is  more like a 9 iron of old and  Eye2 becu pitching wedge that is more like a modern gap wedge

I carried a Wilson Staff FG-17 pitching wedge as a gap wedge in the early 2000s.  This was long before I knew anything about golf club specs.  It filled the gap from my set pitching wedge and my sand wedge so I used it.  Results are all that matter.

• Like 1

Not irons but I did just picked up a #4 G410 Crossover at 23*. I think I really like it. I have a #4 G410 Hybrid as well. I think I'll just play the hybrid at 20.5-21* and maybe send the Crossover back to PING to set at 24* to make them both work. For some reason I hit the #4 hybrid at 21* so much more consistently than the #3 hybrid at 20* even with the same shaft model (although a little shorter in the #4 obviously)

PING G410 LST 10.5* --- Project X Evenflow Blue 55-S

PING G410 17.5* & 20.5* FW --- Aldila Tour Blue 65-S

Titleist 818H1 23* Hybrid --- Project X Evenflow Riptide 80-6.0

PING i210 5-UW --- Nippon Modus 105-S

PING Glide 3.0 Eye2 54* & 58* --- Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

L.A.B. DF3 --- Accra x L.A.B.

19 hours ago, Mookieb10 said:

For example, I play some traditionally lofted irons from 5-PW and I’m shafting up a P790 5 iron to use as my “4 iron”. The P790 5 iron will be 23.5* and my traditional 5 iron in 27.5*. 

How would you handle the club length in this scenario? My traditional 5 iron is 38.5” and I’d usually play a 4 iron at 38.75 or 39”. However, this is a 5 iron head, which will be approximately 7-8 grams heavier than a 4 iron head. This head was originally in a club, built by TM, that played standard length and swing weight in an DG 120 S300 shaft. If I play it at 38.75, I’ll start to bump up against some swing weight issues. If I play it at 38.5”, I’m uncertain how that gapping would look. 

Thoughts? Particularly, how much distance would you expect 1/2” take away? FYI, I’m open to a myriad of different solutions including cutting a 1/4” off the traditional 5 iron or bending the P790 a touch stronger and/or the Legacy Black a touch weaker. 

So you figure there are three aspects to distance from a club:

• Loft
  • Head Weight
  • Speed

Loft largely impacts smash factor and launch angle--the more direct the blow, the higher the smash factor. PGA averages are 1.43 for a 4i (which is closest to the loft of your P790) and 1.41 for 5i. Launch angle is 10.4* for 4i, 11.0* for 5i.

Speed is IMHO primarily impacted by length. PGA is 96 mph for 4i, 94 mph for 5i.

Head weight is typically different for 4i vs 5i, but in this case we'll assume they're equal.

So you look at the kinetic energy of the head, which is 0.5mv^2. With the speed being squared, it has a bigger impact on the energy in the head at impact than the weight, so in a traditional 4i you will swing with more kinetic energy than a traditional 5i, despite the lighter head. 

So if you stick with the shorter shaft, you will lose a little kinetic energy, but the lower loft will mean that you capture more of that energy (smash factor) and launch with lower trajectory and lower spin.

Now... What does this mean? Well, to look at others that have had to solve these issues--single length iron companies. Wishon, for example uses a hollow iron body with a high-COR face on their lower-lofted irons to help turn some of that kinetic energy more efficiently into ball speed. That plus the difference in loft means that with the same length/weight/flex shafts, and with the same head weight, and with the same clubhead speed, they are still able to effectively gap their irons without changing shaft length.

BTW in the "One length irons WOW" thread we talk about this a lot... It's stated in that thread that 85% of the distance contribution is loft, and only 15% of it is the swing speed differences caused by additional shaft length. So at 38.5" with the P790 you're still at 4* less loft than the Legacy Black, you're only giving up maybe a little over 2% of the speed, but you're offsetting that speed difference by adding mass (and thus kinetic energy).

So look again at your problem. You're looking at a P790, which is a hollow-headed players distance iron with--I assume--a high-COR face, and a Callaway Legacy Black, which is a forged cavity back iron. 

My guess is that with the difference in head design and the difference in loft, and the additional head weight, you'll be fine with your gapping playing it at 38.5". 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

bbc two dragons GIF by BBC

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

20 hours ago, rondre3000 said:

*raises hand*

Although I do it for different reasons. I have two 6 irons in my bag. One is from my Srixon zx5 set and the other is an old Callaway RAZR X Forged 6 iron from like 2012. It has the loft of my Srixon 7 iron, but half an inch longer. I use it to hit off of rocks or sketchy lies that I wouldn't dare hit my beloved Srixon off of. 🙂

Are you going to use the same DG S300 in the P790 head? Maybe look at something slightly lighter to avoid swing weight issues. I'd start it at 39" and see how it works out. 

Nah. Going with an elevate tour shaft because... ummm... this is awwwkward. Uhhh. Icantgetitup. There. I said it. 

4 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

So you figure there are three aspects to distance from a club:

• Loft
  • Head Weight
  • Speed

Loft largely impacts smash factor and launch angle--the more direct the blow, the higher the smash factor. PGA averages are 1.43 for a 4i (which is closest to the loft of your P790) and 1.41 for 5i. Launch angle is 10.4* for 4i, 11.0* for 5i.

Speed is IMHO primarily impacted by length. PGA is 96 mph for 4i, 94 mph for 5i.

Head weight is typically different for 4i vs 5i, but in this case we'll assume they're equal.

So you look at the kinetic energy of the head, which is 0.5mv^2. With the speed being squared, it has a bigger impact on the energy in the head at impact than the weight, so in a traditional 4i you will swing with more kinetic energy than a traditional 5i, despite the lighter head. 

So if you stick with the shorter shaft, you will lose a little kinetic energy, but the lower loft will mean that you capture more of that energy (smash factor) and launch with lower trajectory and lower spin.

Now... What does this mean? Well, to look at others that have had to solve these issues--single length iron companies. Wishon, for example uses a hollow iron body with a high-COR face on their lower-lofted irons to help turn some of that kinetic energy more efficiently into ball speed. That plus the difference in loft means that with the same length/weight/flex shafts, and with the same head weight, and with the same clubhead speed, they are still able to effectively gap their irons without changing shaft length.

BTW in the "One length irons WOW" thread we talk about this a lot... It's stated in that thread that 85% of the distance contribution is loft, and only 15% of it is the swing speed differences caused by additional shaft length. So at 38.5" with the P790 you're still at 4* less loft than the Legacy Black, you're only giving up maybe a little over 2% of the speed, but you're offsetting that speed difference by adding mass (and thus kinetic energy).

So look again at your problem. You're looking at a P790, which is a hollow-headed players distance iron with--I assume--a high-COR face, and a Callaway Legacy Black, which is a forged cavity back iron. 

My guess is that with the difference in head design and the difference in loft, and the additional head weight, you'll be fine with your gapping playing it at 38.5". 

Amazing analysis. I can’t thank you enough for dedicating your time to work that out for a complete stranger. 

23 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

image.png.738cec0ede1a1d1159c5f884591643eb.pngDriver: Ping G425 LST (10.5 degrees @9) (14g CG shifter in neutral)
      Shaft: Mitsubishi
Tensei AV Raw White 75 TX (45.25 inches, tipped 1.5 inches, D6+)

Shafts: True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7

Wedges: TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe Raw (52, 56, 60)
      Shafts: True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Ping Prototype PLD Anser 4

CC - WITB - 3M

Believe it or not, this witb is what inspired me to finally get this p790 5i shafted up. Maybe I’ll contact Ping to see what they have to say about the length. I’ll get back to you if I find an anser. 

10 hours ago, Mookieb10 said:

Maybe I’ll contact Ping to see what they have to say about the length. I’ll get back to you if I find an anser. 

Well done sir...

Looks like you're experimenting with shafts, but I was going to say stick with the DG same length as the other 5i and see how it goes.  Could be a little hotter, less spin, higher smash.  Also what you lose in speed vs a 1/2" longer 4i might be made up in better strike.

I had two 4 irons at one point, similar lengths and weights, a 20* with thin face and a 23* players cb, gap was fine.  And not a gap I'm really accurate with anyway.  Just depends what you're looking for out of the club.

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

On 7/29/2021 at 8:04 PM, Mookieb10 said:

I have a similar situation and solution. I have the Titleist DCI 990B and my 5 iron is 28 deg. and 37.75" std. but I will be reshafting it to 38". I will be ordering a slighty more forgiving cb 5 iron of 26 deg. and putting in a 38.75" 92 g. shaft. I like my longer irons and woods to be D3-4. I expect to hit the 26 deg. 5 iron about 10-11 yards further than the DCI. I am opting for a higher loft club because my course has elevated and hard greens. My next longest club in my bag is my 7 wood, which should be no more than 17 yards longer.

Update: They didn't have the cb I wanted so I ordered a used a more forgiving DCI 962 4 iron just one degree weaker than the 5 iron that I was going to order. At the end of the day I just need to have my gaps setup and the number on the club is only a form of identification but meaningless regarding loft. 

Edited by chipa

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

12 hours ago, chipa said:

I have a similar situation and solution. I have the Titleist DCI 990B and my 5 iron is 28 deg. and 37.75" std. but I will be reshafting it to 38". I will be ordering a slighty more forgiving cb 5 iron of 26 deg. and putting in a 38.75" 92 g. shaft. I like my longer irons and woods to be D3-4. I expect to hit the 26 deg. 5 iron about 10-11 yards further than the DCI. I am opting for a higher loft club because my course has elevated and hard greens. My next longest club in my bag is my 7 wood, which should be no more than 17 yards longer.

Update: They didn't have the cb I wanted so I ordered a used a more forgiving DCI 962 4 iron just one degree weaker than the 5 iron that I was going to order. At the end of the day I just need to have my gaps setup and the number on the club is only a form of identification but meaningless regarding loft. 

Nice job there. I also don’t so much care about what is said on the bottom of the club, I simply remember that I hit that 5iron pretty well and generally haven’t hit my long irons very well this year. 

• Like 1