Anyone joined a club in Charlotte recently without wait-list?

ldrum

I am moving to South Charlotte in a few weeks, and have started inquiring at a few clubs. I'm ruling out the big 3 (Myers Park, Charlotte, Quail) due to cost and known waiting list. The 4 I'd be likely targeting are Cedarwood, Providence, TPC, and Carmel. I've spoken with a couple, and heard anywhere from a year to 4 years of waiting. All would be within our means. I'm not surprised about the demand given the golf craze that's happened during Covid, but a little discouraging to hear it's years at all courses. 

I would fall within the Junior membership category. I usually like to get out around 5:00pm a couple days a week, and then at least 1 time over the weekend. Also really enjoy practicing. We'll be living in South Park, so something close is important, especially given after work rounds (20-30 mins max drive would be ideal). My current club is in a small town, so I can pretty much get on whenever. I wouldn't expect that anywhere in Charlotte, but don't want to go in the complete opposite direction of needing tee times weeks in advance. I have just started taking golf more seriously, playing 3+ times a week this summer, and am concerned about the impact not having a place to go on a regular basis to play/practice would have on my game (have gone from shooting 100-105 to a 15 index in last couple months or so, and am starting to score in the high 80s consistently). 

Any advice regarding the waiting list? Are there any clubs that have a "waiting list" and a way to get in faster? Was hoping that may be the case for a potential junior member. If no luck on the waiting list front, definitely open to other suggestions on getting out more frequently. 

Edited by ldrum

• ldrum changed the title to Anyone joined a club in Charlotte recently without wait-list?

Are you working in Southpark, from home, or elsewhere?  Any preferences for riding vs walking, types of courses, etc?  Other amenities and how much of a long term comittment?

TPC  Piper - I think you'd be able to get in.  It's clubcorp and they are just $$ focused.  May be the lowest initiation but probably end up the most monthly.

Providence - Being McConnell if there is a delay they may be able to put you on a plan where you could pay the other courses if you're willing to drive.

Carmel - I've heard the same on their wait.  It's also the mos(by far)t upfront.  

Cedarwood - not sure what the wait is like.

Raintree is one you don't have listed.  Probably the least $$  I've heard good things lately but it's been years since I've been there.  

Any of them if there's a wait you could ask about being some type of temp member while you wait with just some weekday privileges.  

• Thanks 1

I'm in SouthPark working remotely. I usually try and ride to play relatively quickly. I would like to find the long term club now vs a temporary solution, but seems like it may be tough. Golf is the most important element. Pool and dining matter, but not looking for anything crazy nice. Practice facilities are also something I'll use a lot. 

TPC - your thoughts are same as mine. Wait won't be long there. 

Carmel - payment plan for Jr may be swingable, but I'd never get on a wait list as long as theirs. 

Cedarwood - heard 30 months or so of wait 

Providence - kind of where I'd like to land, but probably a year plus of waiting and not a ton of access before

Raintree  - might be a temporary option. 

I'm well averse on this and know people at all the clubs mentioned... I'm a member at longview which has less members and is a no tee time club. Higher end and priced but it's a phenomenal club...shoot me a DM if you want. Agree with most of what was said with a few thoughts. Junior at TPC has a lot of restrictions and it's jammed. Providence and cedarwood have the tee time battle. You could try ballantyne. Great club and capped at 400 members vs 500 elsewhere. There is a waitlist there however folks have gotten on within a year. Good timing going into winter to try. 

If you want info on longview give me a shout 

This may not be an option for you, but have you inquired about becoming a full member instead of starting off with a Jr membership? It could be an option to get in sooner.

I'm not in Charlotte, but I know a lot of the courses near me have 3x the amount of people on the Jr membership waitlist compared to the full member one. My club, for example, has about 100 people on the Jr waitlist and only about 50 on the full.

With Jr memberships being substantially cheaper it's no surprise that those garner a lot more interest.

18 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

This may not be an option for you, but have you inquired about becoming a full member instead of starting off with a Jr membership? It could be an option to get in sooner.

I'm not in Charlotte, but I know a lot of the courses near me have 3x the amount of people on the Jr membership waitlist compared to the full member one. My club, for example, has about 100 people on the Jr waitlist and only about 50 on the full.

With Jr memberships being substantially cheaper it's no surprise that those garner a lot more interest.

Yup, I have actually looked into going straight to full membership. Have found long waits in both cases, but a good idea if I plan on sticking around.

Are you hearing those waiting list times for the clubs directly, or second hand?  Regardless, I'd be surprised if what you are hearing is super accurate.  Carmel turns over members in a huge number, and historically if you can write the check you can get in quickly.  I would imagine they would be looking to bring in new members based on all of the renovations they just did to the clubhouse.  Cedarwood probably has a waiting list, though I'd be shocked if it was 30 months as I know people who have recently gotten in, and as of 12 months ago they weren't looking to join anywhere.

If you are living in South Park you may want to think twice about Providence.  That's some of the worst traffic in the city heading that way in the afternoons.  Also, if they have a waiting list that is also a new development, as they historically have not had one.

Providence and Cedarwood also have pretty basic practice facilities, especially when compared to Carmel.  

@ncgolfer1234 everything I've gotten has come directly from the clubs and their membership directors. I have spoken to or exchanged email with folks at Ballantyne, Carmel, Cedarwood, Providence, and TPC. I have heard consistently that the biggest problem / what is driving wait lists is that attrition has been near 0 as of late. I wouldn't be surprised if I am getting the worst case scenario or the "guy off the street" wait list numbers given I have not been able to visit in person and am just calling before we move. I had heard that rumor about Carmel and more or less asked them that directly and got a no. I know that is a cut above the rest of the ones in the group I am considering, so not surprised the facilities are nicer.

Good to know regarding Providence traffic. I am assuming that would maybe also impact TPC.

2 hours ago, ldrum said:

@ncgolfer1234 everything I've gotten has come directly from the clubs and their membership directors. I have spoken to or exchanged email with folks at Ballantyne, Carmel, Cedarwood, Providence, and TPC. I have heard consistently that the biggest problem / what is driving wait lists is that attrition has been near 0 as of late. I wouldn't be surprised if I am getting the worst case scenario or the "guy off the street" wait list numbers given I have not been able to visit in person and am just calling before we move. I had heard that rumor about Carmel and more or less asked them that directly and got a no. I know that is a cut above the rest of the ones in the group I am considering, so not surprised the facilities are nicer.

Good to know regarding Providence traffic. I am assuming that would maybe also impact TPC.

TPC won't be as bad because you don't have to cross over 485 or get on Providence Rd.  Depending where you are in South Park, you can just get on Colony Rd. and it will eventually turn into Rea which runs right into Piper Glen.  It is no more difficult to get to than Cedarwood or Raintree.

If Carmel has not already increased their initiation, I would expect they will be going so soon.  They like to try to keep their pricing in line with Charlotte, Myers Park, and Quail, and those have all been climbing steadily over the past few years. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 2:39 PM, ncgolfer1234 said:

TPC won't be as bad because you don't have to cross over 485 or get on Providence Rd.  Depending where you are in South Park, you can just get on Colony Rd. and it will eventually turn into Rea which runs right into Piper Glen.  It is no more difficult to get to than Cedarwood or Raintree.

If Carmel has not already increased their initiation, I would expect they will be going so soon.  They like to try to keep their pricing in line with Charlotte, Myers Park, and Quail, and those have all been climbing steadily over the past few years. 

I live in South Park currently. I wouldnt want to drive to Piper Glen in the afternoon going the non 485 way either. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I joined Cedarwood in April and was #35 on the waitlist. A few weeks ago I was #29 and the wait list had grown to 50+. While on the waitlist, I am able to play twice a month; I just have to pay the guest fee and I can only book tee times 48 hours in advance. It hasn't been an issue getting tee times. Saturday is an 8:30am shotgun start so that everyone gets a good tee time on Saturday morning. 

Carmel is the best option of those you're considering, but also a $16k/yr initiation payment for 5 years. 

Piper Glen junior membership doesn't allow juniors to play on weekends before noon. 

4 hours ago, 2012heel said:

I joined Cedarwood in April and was #35 on the waitlist. A few weeks ago I was #29 and the wait list had grown to 50+. While on the waitlist, I am able to play twice a month; I just have to pay the guest fee and I can only book tee times 48 hours in advance. It hasn't been an issue getting tee times. Saturday is an 8:30am shotgun start so that everyone gets a good tee time on Saturday morning. 

Carmel is the best option of those you're considering, but also a $16k/yr initiation payment for 5 years. 

Piper Glen junior membership doesn't allow juniors to play on weekends before noon. 

Do you have to pay some sort of initiation up front to be on the waitlist or are you only on the hook for the guest fees every time you play?

17 minutes ago, bluehose said:

Do you have to pay some sort of initiation up front to be on the waitlist or are you only on the hook for the guest fees every time you play?

Everyone on waitlist for golf membership has to be a social member, so $1500 up front and $140/mo dues plus I think $40 food/mo (which includes turn house/cart girl). The $1500 counts toward your initiation when you become golf member. 

Edited by 2012heel
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2021 at 12:04 PM, 2012heel said:

So averaging 2 opening a month about. Is there anyway to see where you are on the list? I got on the list about a month ago and believe I was around that 50 mark. 

11 hours ago, Carl Spackler3 said:

I know it’s not in the same league but are any of you members at Rolling Hills in Monroe?

Friend of mine is in the process of joining over there.  Haven’t had a chance to get out there yet but for the money it sounds like a great value with a very well conditioned course and good amenities.  Membership is capped at 310 members and I think they have a handful of spots left before going to a waitlist.

Edited by bluehose

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/3/2021 at 1:41 PM, Chilidog said:

Have you looked at Springfield? It’s a fun course without all the extras that you mentioned. Wouldn’t be that bad of a drive right down to the SC line either. 

I just put my app in at Rolling Hills CC in Monroe. Very reasonable initiation and dues. Think I like the course better than Cedarwood too. Just a bit longer of a drive than I would like. 

On 1/18/2022 at 11:56 PM, tjl48 said:

I just put my app in at Rolling Hills CC in Monroe. Very reasonable initiation and dues. Think I like the course better than Cedarwood too. Just a bit longer of a drive than I would like. 

While i personally have never played it, ive heard quite a few people say good things. 

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
19 hours ago, BIPSIC said:

Last post was 15 months ago. In same boat. I live about 2 miles from Carmel, but hard sell to wife to spend $80k for a waiting list and 900+ members to share 2 courses with. 

Carmel is over 100k now. I have played the South course and its very good. Even the Springs membership which is semi private but gets you 4 courses is on a 18 month waitlist. Everyone's moving here and we've been steadily losing courses to housing.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW

• 10 months later...
On 8/11/2021 at 6:10 PM, 2012heel said:

Everyone on waitlist for golf membership has to be a social member, so $1500 up front and $140/mo dues plus I think $40 food/mo (which includes turn house/cart girl). The $1500 counts toward your initiation when you become golf member. 

I presume you are a member now. 

Question, did the initiation fee increase while you were waiting?  If so, were you charged the initiation price at the time you went on the list?  Or the current price at the time you were admitted?

My recent search in Charlotte is approximately 2 year waitlist where you put up 1/2 the initiation fee to get on the waitist. So Ballentyne CC initiation was $70k, so $35 up front then wait 2 or more years.  While you wait you can join as a social member but only 12 rounds of golf per year.  Most private clubs are like this in Charlotte. TPC Piper Glen is less initiation (I believe it is now $40k) and has a shorter waitilist. 

It comes down to how much do you want the club.