Just A Reminder About How Much The Golf Ball Matters

North Butte

For me not a big deal what is played but my preference is a Titleist or Bridgestone but not he top of the line stuff.  Just seems to me the quality control is better on the cheaper balls.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I've been playing over 50 years, and there used to be some real garbage balls out there. That is not the case anymore. I really think most balls are pretty good. I play ProV1x, but I'm pretty sure my scores wouldn't be much different if I played any ball in the Titleist line.

16 minutes ago, North Butte said:

No that is exactly what I thought. So the next question…

Do people show up in your threads on the tech forum to point out how useless and a waste of time all your efforts are? 

Not sure what it is about golf ball discussion that turns you so snarky and unpleasant. 

George Plimpton wrote "Putting is where the mind leaves the body."

Replace "putting" with "golf ball selection" and you would describe a sizeable % of guys that buy balls based on emotional reasons, not logical ones.  Where do you fall?

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

The other day I found a nitro ultimate distance in the rough on 12 and pocketed it to put in my “hit into the field” collection. 

13 is a 196y par three. I teed up my TP5x and toed a 5 iron into the right green side bunker.

Distressed, I reached into my pocket, fished out the nitro, and tried again. Flushed it and it sailed the green. 

As such, my ball search continues. 

Edited by GBBM

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

I play a cheap a** ball, a middle of the road ball, and a "premium" ball and for my game, it doesn't seem to matter much. I keep thinking one day it might, but I doubt it.

Right now my 2 current favorites are the Nitro Pulsar matte orange and the Inesis 500 Soft also matte orange. $15/dozen and $20/dozen. Solid, and cheaper than the Srixon Q Star Tour (also not available in orange).

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 7/30/2021 at 2:42 PM, sevenfourate said:

Agree. Look at my sig (I may take this to a slight extreme)…..knowing exactly how you and your equipment  perform under pressure when it matters is way more important than: 5 yards extra, slightly more forgiveness, 200rpm of extra spin etc. Because money cannot buy complete belief in what you’re using: in this already difficult game….

In golf extreme = smart. 

Yesterday I started with AVX, hit some good shots but later put DASH in play.  Boy does that ball perform.   The tees were back and good breeze into us, on a BLIND Par 5 over a wide and deep ravine with creek at the bottom, filled with thick trees and shrubs blocking the view to the perpendicular fairway.  I teed it high and let it fly dead straight to dead center of the fairway, next to my much younger buddy's ball.  Three of the four guys in front of us lost balls in the ravine.  On long Par 4, #18, I hit bad drive, and a marginal 3 iron that came up short in some thick rough, ugly lie next to a pond, using SW, punched down on the ball nicely, ball hit bounced once and stuck pin high 4', putt to save par.  After two not so good shots, making use of the ball technology and proper wedge technique can save Par.  Damn, I love DASH and this game.

• Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

On 7/30/2021 at 5:02 PM, Nessism said:

Differences in balls from a performance standpoint is one of the biggest misconceptions in all of golf.  Yeah, soft balls feel...softer.  And if you play on the PGA Tour what ball you use can matter.  But for Joe Q Public, it don't mean squat, and that includes single digit cappers.

Hit a solid shot and the ball will fly where you expect. 

I disagree with your broad belief, here. 

Because it doesn't matter to you, that doesn't mean it shouldn't matter to others with different golf goals.  I play to a 4, now.  I can hit pretty much any 4i, any shaft and ball, fly it 180, and stop it, still, even at my age.  That doesn't mean I should make golf equipment decisions based on that ability.

I can hit a solid 4i shot into a green and the "Ball" will do what it's designed to do, how much I can influence it to behave how I want, varies.  Then there's this, Joe Q Public seldom hits the ball solid, plus doesn't know how to impact the ball to get max performance.  Every choice we make and piece of equipment we play matters to the score.  That's my 2cents.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

On 7/30/2021 at 3:03 PM, North Butte said:

I was playing a solo practice round, working on various swing "issues", and hit a tee shot into a fairway bunker on a long (for me) Par 5. When I got to the bunker there were two balls, my Callaway and one with a Bridgestone logo. Just for the heck of it I went ahead and knocked both of them down the fairway with a hybrid. 

My third shot with my ball flew right over the flag to the back of the green and rolled into the rough. The Bridgestone ball I hit a big pull onto the green but miles from the hole. Chipped and two-putted for bogey with my ball then decided to try the long, double-breaking putt with the Bridgestone.

When I marked and cleaned the ball I saw two things. It was an e6 Soft (not a ball I'd normally play) and it had a gash in the side about an inch and half long. Pretty sure when they were mowing the rough that morning the mower hit the ball and knocked it into the bunker. 

So what the heck, I putted with it cut and all. Ran it a couple feet past the hole, made the par putt. Nothing to it. 

I think this a good reminder of just how important it is to play only top-quality golf balls and stick to the brand and model that we've determined suits our game. Terribly important isn't it?🤨

you hit a hybrid out of the trap????

5 minutes ago, tsecor said:

you hit a hybrid out of the trap????

You bet!

There was no lip to speak of (maybe a 12" lip about 20 feet in front of me) and I was nearly 300 yards to the green so what the heck. I played my 23-degree Tour Edge Trilogy a little back in my stance and it hit a low bullet.

I'm not really a big fan of hybrids but I've always found as long as they've got some loft on them they're great out of fairway bunkers or off hardpan (which is practically what our bunkers are like right now but that's another story).

• Like 1

Just now, North Butte said:

You bet!

There was no lip to speak of (maybe a 12" lip about 20 feet in front of me) and I was nearly 300 yards to the green so what the heck. I played my 23-degree Tour Edge Trilogy a little back in my stance and it hit a low bullet.

I'm not really a big fan of hybrids but I've always found as long as they've got some loft on them they're great out of fairway bunkers or off hardpan (which is practically what our bunkers are like right now but that's another story).

wow....i see you always downplay your game, but i have to say that sounds like an impressive shot. 

i have grown to love my hybrid and have attempted to hit it out of traps, but unless its a real low lip, i end up hitting the ball 30 yards because it hit the lip and went straight up in the air....

23 minutes ago, tsecor said:

wow....i see you always downplay your game, but i have to say that sounds like an impressive shot. 

i have grown to love my hybrid and have attempted to hit it out of traps, but unless its a real low lip, i end up hitting the ball 30 yards because it hit the lip and went straight up in the air....

To be honest, it was also a solo practice round, playing two balls on most holes. 

Amazing how much tougher that shot would be if I had a scorecard in my pocket and a few dollars on the line!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, North Butte said:

To be honest, it was also a solo practice round, playing two balls on most holes. 

Amazing how much tougher that shot would be if I had a scorecard in my pocket and a few dollars on the line!

yea....the best shots come when nobody is there to see them......i almost had a hole in one, got 6" from going in and i was the only one there......10 years ive been telling the story and nobody believes it.

On 7/31/2021 at 3:15 PM, Nessism said:

I've got no issue with someone playing whatever ball they prefer.  It just strikes me as delusional when someone claims they "need" to play a pro level ball when they miss more greens than hit during a round.

That's pretty much my feelings as well.  For every short game shot that I may have benefited from having a ball with slightly more spin I equally benefited when I came up short of the green on a longer iron approach that bounced/released to the middle of the green.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tsecor said:

yea....the best shots come when nobody is there to see them......i almost had a hole in one, got 6" from going in and i was the only one there......10 years ive been telling the story and nobody believes it.

There was a pretty stupid superhero-spoof movie maybe 20 years ago called Mystery Men. One of the characters was the Invisible Boy and his superpower was that he could turn invisible.

When it came time that they needed him to turn invisible he just stands there and says, "I can't do it if anybody's WATCHING ME!". That's my golf game. 

6 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Because it doesn't matter to you, that doesn't mean it shouldn't matter to others with different golf goals.  I play to a 4, now.  I can hit pretty much hit any 4i, any shaft and ball, fly it 180, and stop it, still, even at my age.  That doesn't mean I should make golf equipment decisions based on that ability.

I can hit a solid 4i shot into a green and the "Ball" will do what it's designed to do, how much I can influence it to behave how I want, varies.  Then there's this, Joe Q Public seldom hits the ball solid, plus doesn't know how to impact the ball to get max performance.  Every choice we make and piece of equipment we play matters to the score.  That's my 2cents.

Do you realize how arrogant this makes you seem?  

Edited by Nessism

22 minutes ago, Nessism said:

He plays to a 4. On GolfWRX, that qualifies as a high cap 😂

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

9 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I disagree with your broad belief, here. 

Because it doesn't matter to you, that doesn't mean it shouldn't matter to others with different golf goals.  I play to a 4, now.  I can hit pretty much hit any 4i, any shaft and ball, fly it 180, and stop it, still, even at my age.  That doesn't mean I should make golf equipment decisions based on that ability.

Equipment matters. Balls matter. We don't refute this. Your swing matters most. Whether your 4 iron shot comes in steep or low, rolls out or stops, cuts through the wind or balloon is a result of the player. Get a consistent swing and understand it's effects on one consistent ball then experiment from there. 

I love talking with the 4 caps and scratch players. They're either the most fun people to play with or I am trying to split my group up. Which one are you?

Honestly I think "Chrome Soft" is the coolest named golf ball so I play that one.

Plus $23 for a mint used dozen is as cheap as anything else so why not play the best. You'd never catch me paying $50 a dozen though, anybody that pays that much is either rich or a crackhead

Edited by rooski

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

I play Pro V's because they hold fast greens and you don't sacrifice distance or durability. Certainly not the only ball that has solid spin with the irons/wedges but they feel great off the putter as well. My course has a Titleist promotion every year where you can buy 1 dozen and get 5 free. I stock the locker up when they run it. 😋

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus - 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 16.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 21* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8x  
Ping I20 (4 - GW) - KBS Tour 130 X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 56.14 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 60.10 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Scotty Phantom X 7  

Titleist Pro V1 Ball | NO1 50-PRO Grips | Nikon Coolshot Pro II Rangefinder

The ball has changed so much over the past 20 years. Go back to 2001....Premium balls offered control but weren't as durable and spun too much. If you wanted distance the immediate choice was the Wilson Ultra. It trumped everything. OK for putting but devoid of grip unless the course was damp. Move to 2021 and the longest balls are the premium models. Cheaper, harder balls are shorter but have far more control. 

On 7/31/2021 at 3:03 AM, North Butte said:

I was playing a solo practice round, working on various swing "issues", and hit a tee shot into a fairway bunker on a long (for me) Par 5. When I got to the bunker there were two balls, my Callaway and one with a Bridgestone logo. Just for the heck of it I went ahead and knocked both of them down the fairway with a hybrid. 

My third shot with my ball flew right over the flag to the back of the green and rolled into the rough. The Bridgestone ball I hit a big pull onto the green but miles from the hole. Chipped and two-putted for bogey with my ball then decided to try the long, double-breaking putt with the Bridgestone.

When I marked and cleaned the ball I saw two things. It was an e6 Soft (not a ball I'd normally play) and it had a gash in the side about an inch and half long. Pretty sure when they were mowing the rough that morning the mower hit the ball and knocked it into the bunker. 

So what the heck, I putted with it cut and all. Ran it a couple feet past the hole, made the par putt. Nothing to it. 

I think this a good reminder of just how important it is to play only top-quality golf balls and stick to the brand and model that we've determined suits our game. Terribly important isn't it?🤨

Overwhelming, very objective evidence there, with definitely a credible sample size....😜

Not saying I’m good to always take advantage of it, but my little muni course has TINY greens. Stopping power on wedges matters even with the normally slow green speed since I don’t hit the ball far. Give me ionomer or it’s similar urethane (high launch really low spin like Q star tour, B RX etc) and I get a certain amount of rollout. V1X, B XS, etc cut that in half. If I were on normal sized greens I’d be in full agreement here. So I guess I agree and disagree

(PS: DASH is freaking awesome. The height keeps it really close to the V1X on that stopping power and it’s a bomber)

Edited by trapsmv15

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

14 hours ago, Stanks said:

Equipment matters. Balls matter. We don't refute this. Your swing matters most. Whether your 4 iron shot comes in steep or low, rolls out or stops, cuts through the wind or balloon is a result of the player. Get a consistent swing and understand it's effects on one consistent ball then experiment from there. 

I love talking with the 4 caps and scratch players. They're either the most fun people to play with or I am trying to split my group up. Which one are you?

I can't answer that question for you. 

Fact of my life, I have friendships that have lasted 50+ years, some from HS, and many of them are sports driven.  That doesn't happen from social media.  You have a good day.

• Like 2
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

18 hours ago, Nessism said:

That remark is not surprising. 

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

15 hours ago, JJFWebster said:

I play Pro V's because they hold fast greens and you don't sacrifice distance or durability. Certainly not the only ball that has solid spin with the irons/wedges but they feel great off the putter as well. My course has a Titleist promotion every year where you can buy 1 dozen and get 5 free. I stock the locker up when they run it. 😋

5 BALLs free? Or 5 DOZEN free with purchase of a dozen?

Where is this magical course?

• Like 1

From my experience the real difference is from about 50 yards and in.  I know a good urethane covered ball will behave a certain way, a 2 piece soft core ionomer ball is very unpredictable.  One shot will go next to the hole the next will jump and roll 12 feet past.  I tried to adapt one year, because I like the cheaper balls better on some iron, hybrid and wood shots.  but it was just more difficult to get the ball in the hole several times a round.  Then it got in my head and I lost confidence in the strongest part of my game which is wedge play.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

On 8/3/2021 at 12:20 PM, dlygrisse said:

...a 2 piece soft core ionomer ball is very unpredictable.  One shot will go next to the hole the next will jump and roll 12 feet past.  

This is completely different from my experience.  

Yeah, the ionomer cover ball won't have quite as much spin, but the difference isn't enough to cause 12' of roll out.  At most a few feet extra, maybe.