What influences you?

Rocky Ball-boa

Strictly hypothetical post - as we're all obviously strictly logical consumers, masters of our own domain and always make strictly rational decisions. Right?

The recent talk about Bryson and the way that kind of thing reflects on a brand has brought claims such as "a lot of people play club X because tour player Y does". And I'm willing to accept that probably does happen a lot.

In a hypothetical universe where I'm able to be influenced though - I find myself more drawn to certain brands based on watching players on Youtube and the like rather than watching tour golf. Like I'm more attracted to Cobra after watching a James Wiltshire video than I am after watching Bryson or Fowler doing well in a tournament.

I don't know why, because most of them are way better golfers than I am and they also get club deal sponsorships.. so for all intents and purposes they might as well be tour pros in this regard.

But what influences you... hypothetically?

Tour players? Social media profiles? Friends? Randomers you get paired up with?

Edit: To clarify - I'm not suggesting I'm going out buying a club purely based on someone else using it. I'm just talking about influences, like something that piques your interest, makes you look something up you'd otherwise not go looking for, makes you see something in a different light.. that sort of thing.

Obviously performance and personal preference is what leads to an actual purchase.. But there are many steps leading up to a purchase (usually anyway)!

Edited by Rocky Ball-boa
Clarification
  • Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

18 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Performance and my preference for look and feel. That’s about it. Could care less about endorsements or tour players or YT ppl.

Yeah, I mean don't get my question wrong. I've never actually bought a set of clubs that I didn't like the look of or didn't perform well because someone had them.

But I've certainly looked up clubs I otherwise perhaps would have glossed over, or gained an initial interest in based on someone else I otherwise admire or appreciate using them. They still have to perform and look the part to actually end up in the bag, for sure!

• Like 1
  • Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

Call me crazy, but I'm influenced to adopt drivers that help me split the fairway and irons that put the ball on the green.

For a long time that company was MacGregor, until it disappeared - twice!

After a decade-plus with some excellent component clubs, I decided to hit a lot of irons and woods and see what worked. Winner initially was Callaway, and then Tour Edge Exotics gained a place in the bag.

What do Callaway and TE have in common? Their clubs fit my eye. If either company comes out with a GI-type iron or wood, if it has the proper shaft for me, I can get decent shots within a dozen demo balls.

Also: a strong honorable mention to Ping. I've used mostly Ping putters since circa 2007, and Ping irons have finished second a couple of times when I changed irons.

I go with what works. If a Callaway or TE pro wins a tournament... I guess it shows how enlightened I am!

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

38 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

Not much. I play a lot of components and DTC stuff. Customer service is big . I had a Terrible experience with Mizuno’s so I will never purchase them again 

You have to explain this one now lol also i think a companys dedication to high quality and perfection and looks influences me most.

Edited by iNeedMoreGolf

I am no doubt influenced by stuff I read online. Some mixture of comments by other golfers on forums, advertising material, online reviews and so forth. And I guess at some subliminal level I'm probably noticing what clubs the guys I play with are using although we almost never seem to talk about clubs during golf at all.

But as for the guys on TV, it would be hard for that to have much influence on me. Other than The Masters or occasionally the Open if it's on one of the courses I've played before my total TV golf viewing averaging maybe an hour a month, if that. So I'm not influenced at all by what gear highly paid, highly skilled elite professionals use. Just no similarity with my own needs and there's. 

6 minutes ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

You have to explain this one now lol also i think a companys dedication to high quality and perfection and looks influences me most.

Bought HM921 got them on December. Head flew off in the first range session. Lost in the snow. Never was found . No replacement, no middle ground just sorry your SOL and can pay another 125 for a new iron. 

• Sad 1

What influences me is what catches my eye, then after researching it online, then trying it out or just rolling the dice, I go for it. I saw the edel eas 1.0 and started researching everything I could about it, ordered one with the weight kit and am ecstatic I did. I also have some i210’s with recoils on the way in 2 weeks that caught my eye, researched it, demoed them and fell in love. But for me it’s gotta start with that oooooooh that looks like a nice club moment, then 2 weeks of research, and then if I can try it, even better. But there’s absolutely no tour player that influences what I play.

5 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

Bought HM921 got them on December. Head flew off in the first range session. Lost in the snow. Never was found . No replacement, no middle ground just sorry your SOL and can pay another 125 for a new iron. 

I don’t blame you on that one at all. That’s absurd. I’ve got no issues at all shelling out cash for good equipment, but the least you can do is stand by your product. I’m really surprised to hear that about mizuno of all companies too. I wouldn’t expect that from them.

Only influenced by how the club looks in the address position.  If that looks good I’ll try it and see how it performs for me. I don’t think I ever thought “ooh, player X uses this brand so I should try it.”

• Like 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

2 hours ago, Trouble_shooter said:

What influences me is what catches my eye, then after researching it online, then trying it out or just rolling the dice, I go for it. I saw the edel eas 1.0 and started researching everything I could about it, ordered one with the weight kit and am ecstatic I did. I also have some i210’s with recoils on the way in 2 weeks that caught my eye, researched it, demoed them and fell in love. But for me it’s gotta start with that oooooooh that looks like a nice club moment, then 2 weeks of research, and then if I can try it, even better. But there’s absolutely no tour player that influences what I play.

Same here, my guy. Lots of initial interest from things that catch my eye here or on instagram. Then, two weeks of researching it, buying a set to try out, and usually selling them within a couple weeks if I don't like them. If I ever find a place to demo irons and wedges outdoors, outside of a demo day, I'd be in heaven.

When I was a kid I was heavily influenced by what Luke Donald and a few other pros played, but by the time I turned 16 or 17 I realized that I wasn't them. Outside of the majors, I don't watch enough golf anymore to care what they play.

The PXG commercials. 

I don’t want to be strapped to a hog and rolled in the mud. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

716 CB 4-PW X100

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W
L.A.B. Mezz Max    2021 Pro V1

I bought my Lazrus wedges because they were a small shop I interacted with on Facebook who happened to make lefty wedges and hybrids. My Byrdie Golf Designs irons were the same deal. A small shop not far from me willing to make some lefties.

I know how small the lefty market is and it's an investment for companies. I chose to support them and I have been very happy I did. My irons and wedges are great. The hybrid is great, too, just not a spot for it currently.

If you don't support local business that do great work, you can lose them.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

3 hours ago, TallGuy90 said:

I cant lie.. thats awful.  Should have just shipped one out for you free of charge... maybe only make you pay for shipping.

Lots of things influence me. Clubs I remember as a kid (Cobra F Speed drivers, original sonartec wedges, etc) is a big one. Bought the RadSpeed sight unseen only because I couldn't be happy unless a Cobra driver is in the bag. Since then I've tried every modern driver and nothing compares other than the Mizuno -- maybe it's purely a mental thing but I'm fine with it

Really good marketing gets me, Oakley PRIZM Golf glasses is one that I just fell for although I gotta admit as somebody who struggles with vision in multiple ways these things are sick.

Most important for me is feel and confidence no matter where it comes from. I can lose distance on a club or have 5y worse dispersion on a launch monitor objectively, but if I sit there and think "wow I still prefer the way that feels" that will be the one I buy.

And ultimately other than my most recent fitted irons and wedges, all of my club head and shaft purchases come when I'm 6 beers deep so you could probably say Bud Light has the biggest influence in the golf equipment I purchase 

Edited by rooski

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         PING i210 4-UW / MODUS³ 120X
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

I played with a kid who played pretty competitively in high school and a little in college. He was a great ball striker and had considerable speed, more than me. He was playing some beatup Psi’s, rusted 588 wedges, and a detour-looking Daytona putter that still had UPC/price stickers all over the shaft. 

Idk why, but his lackluster bag and great ball flight was an impressive combo. Gave you the impression he only plays several times a year now, but can still touch scratch. 

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I'm a gear junkie, so the equipment influences me more than anything.  Anything which looks unique, customizable, or difficult to use definitely catches my eye (Miura small blade 1-iron for example - paid a lot just for that head).  I hit thousands of balls, but don't actually play very often, so I don't need to worry about my gear being easy to use.  

8 hours ago, Sean124 said:

The PXG commercials. 

I don’t want to be strapped to a hog and rolled in the mud. 

I am influenced by pxg commercials.  The clubs look so good to me but they just rub me the wrong way.  I’m using a jumbo Max putter grip right now and it was a struggle to buy one.  
I wish I didn’t care one bit what pros are using but it definitely has an effect both good and bad.

I think it has to look good for starters, then it better perform as this can be a bit tricky as some shafts work better in certain club heads than others. I found a few irons that I didn't get along with but it was partially because of me as maybe I wasn't swinging well or the shafts didn't match the irons well for me. When I say it has to look good please no flashy colors or fancy badges as they will say its all in the technology but it's mostly all gimmicks to make a sell.

It has to feel good and be forgiving. I'm not good enough to work the ball at will so something that is easy to hit with good turf interaction as almost all of my irons have been fitted for me. At least my last 4 sets have been.

Then on-line video/reviews and what other have to say on this forum has an influence as long as it's reasonable and not 100% negative like Cobra sucks because Bryson said so Lol! I really don't care who on tour plays what as they play for the big bucks so of course they will hype it up a it more. Commercials don't do it for me as I would rather be strapped to a HOG than play PXG Lol! I'm sure they are nice but thats all I will say about them.

Now for those Tour players they are so good that can hit anything. I do like following certain players who play a brand that I'm playing but it all depends on who's in the field as to who I would like to see win. I never like seeing Tour Players slam their clubs down or break them out of anger but now to keep on the subject as what influences me in buying a set of irons is listed above but what keeps me playing is the fun and confidence a properly fitted set of irons will do for my game. 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Male golfers are the women shoe shoppers of the world. 

• Haha 3

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I tend to try what is appealing to my eye, but there is stuff that wasn’t on my radar that I hit because of a review from either here, or online. 

Tour Edge Exotics were not on my radar at all, and I’ve never played with anyone who hit them, but people here rave about them, and I’ve seen some good reviews (plugged in golf)  so I saw one at a PGASS and hit it. I now own a 4 wood and a 4 Utility iron. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I started playing golf in the 90’s and liked the Hogans and Wilson Staff stuff,( I will admit, I was influenced by the good players at the course I worked at in High School from 92-94, they all hit Hogans, or Wilson’s and Ping Woods)  until a playing partner had me hit his T-Zoid’s  and then Mizuno came into my peripheral. Mizuno’s just seem to work best for me. I’m not one of those “I only hit _ _ _ _” guys, but I’ve played Mizuno irons for 20 years with a season of Titleist mixed in there. 

I have a friend that likes the Cobra woods and hybrids, so I’ve hit his a few times and it’s funny, I love their fairway woods,  and have not liked any of their drivers since the OG King Cobra 460 sz ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Every review, forum talk and even playing partners I’ve had raved about Vokey wedges, so I’ve tried them, and even bought one back in the day, but I’ve found that I am not a fan. I have liked other manufacturers wedges more throughout the years, same with Taylormade clubs from driver, to wedge, I always have better performances from other manufacturers in the corresponding years. 

Hard for me to comment on putters since I’ve bagged the same one since 92’ (Ping Pal 2)  but I haven’t found Scotty Cameron’s to be anything special, although I see them in almost every persons bag I’m paired with. They all seem like Ping’s,  but their head covers cost more than the Ping putters I like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I buy whatever happens to be the current fad on GolfWRX forums.

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip