$2k budget. What’s my best option?

Looking to buy a PLM. I’ll start by saying I’m just an average weekend golfer.  8 handicap. Taking lessons and hope to get better.  

I don’t really have space in my house or my yard to really use a PLM. Possibly could be setup in my backyard if it didn’t need a ton of space behind or in front of me.  But my main use of the LM would be used at driving ranges. 

that said. I’m not really interested in virtual courses and things like that.  I really just want a LM to analyze some numbers when trying out new clubs, playing with driver settings and dialing in my distances on my irons and wedges.  

so with a $2k budget. The obvious choice for me sees like the Mevo plus.  But before I just buy one. Wanted to make sure there wasn’t something better out there or maybe something better about to come out?  And if the mevo plus is the best option. Can someone chime in and tell me how it compares to a trackman or gcquad in terms of accuracy when used outdoors with  range balls? 

I had a buddy who owned a skytrak and we could never get it to work outside. So I definitely know I don’t want one of those.  And I do not mind buying used if something is in good condition 

• Thanks 1

Here’s my thoughts - 

Mevo - smaller and under way under budget. Might not measure every parameter, but enough to give great information. Needs about 6-8 feet behind the ball and the same in front if you are indoors. Outdoors, no issue,

Mevo + - same as Mevo but more measurements and can be used to create an indoor sim one day if there’s space and no interference (steel and electronics) nearby. Currently has some courses with it. Right at your budget. For these leftie or rightie without moving the unit 

Skytrak - for outdoor range probably not a good option, but indoors with space issues a nice unit. Right price, but would need to be moved for lefties/righties and need to purchased courses. 
Was on a Trackman once at the same time I was using the Mevo - real close, for me Mevo slightly underestimated distance. 
Hope this helps, others will have takes.

as an FYI I have Skytrak for a home system and take the small Mevo as need to the range. 

If you only want ball data the Mevo+ is your best option but it doesn't provide enough club data to really learn about and improve your swing. Unfortunately the only monitors that provide that information are significantly more expensive than $2000.

I guess the question is what do you want it to tell you?

23 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

If you only want ball data the Mevo+ is your best option but it doesn't provide enough club data to really learn about and improve your swing. Unfortunately the only monitors that provide that information are significantly more expensive than $2000.

I guess the question is what do you want it to tell you?

what club data is missing from Mevo+ that is essential to improve your swing? I just bought one and I'm curious to know

Its missing path info....but you are not going to get that outside of a used 4-5K or more unit. 

While I agree its good you also can figure it out in terms of flight and divot pattern to see if you are doing it better or worse if working on changing your path. The precision of the path numbers IMHO is not required for us non-pros. 

Get that data with a teaching pro who is using the high dollar device during the lesson 🙂

15 hours ago, larciel said:

what club data is missing from Mevo+ that is essential to improve your swing? I just bought one and I'm curious to know

Quite a few:

Club Face

Path

Face to Path

Dynamic Loft

Swing Plane

Impact Location

Dynamic Lie Angle

Mevo+ basically only tells you swing speed and AoA when it comes to club data.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, larciel said:

That's a lot.

Which LM shows all of that data? 

The expensive ones (doh!).

Trackman 3 and 4

Foresight GC2+HMT and GCQ

Flightscope X2 (I think) and X3

Some of those data points are more helpful than others but the ones that are must haves for really dialing in your swing are:

Club Path

Club Face

Face to Path

Dynamic Loft

On 7/31/2021 at 8:29 AM, texas_golfer said:

Looking to buy a PLM. I’ll start by saying I’m just an average weekend golfer.  8 handicap. Taking lessons and hope to get better.  

I don’t really have space in my house or my yard to really use a PLM. Possibly could be setup in my backyard if it didn’t need a ton of space behind or in front of me.  But my main use of the LM would be used at driving ranges. 

that said. I’m not really interested in virtual courses and things like that.  I really just want a LM to analyze some numbers when trying out new clubs, playing with driver settings and dialing in my distances on my irons and wedges.  

so with a $2k budget. The obvious choice for me sees like the Mevo plus.  But before I just buy one. Wanted to make sure there wasn’t something better out there or maybe something better about to come out?  And if the mevo plus is the best option. Can someone chime in and tell me how it compares to a trackman or gcquad in terms of accuracy when used outdoors with  range balls? 

I had a buddy who owned a skytrak and we could never get it to work outside. So I definitely know I don’t want one of those.  And I do not mind buying used if something is in good condition 

We sound quite similar, both as golfers and in what we are looking for from a PLM.

FWIW, I ponied up and bought the Mevo+ after initially ordering the Mevo and then canceling the order.  I’m a half dozen or so outdoor range sessions in, and have been completely pleased so far.  

Also, since I bought and first used the Mevo+, I did a driver fitting on a Trackman setup, which of course started with me hitting my current driver for comparison purposes.  I was VERY pleased to get club head speed and launch numbers that pretty much matched what I had seen on the Mevo+; gives me a lot of confidence in the unit.

• Like 1

If you want club data - your best bet is to buy a used Flightscope X2 ($3K-$4K) or pony up a bit more for a FlightScope Tour Xi ($5K). Both of these give you every data parameter that the heavy hitters (Flightscope X3, GCQuad, Trackman4) provide, but in a bulkier out of support product. That said, you get all the data parameters, the visual ball flight data in app, and the ability to use as a SIM should you decide to go that route. 

Alternatively, you could hope and pray that the Bushnell cobranded product with Foresight comes out at sub $5K with club data but again, that's probably unlikely. 

I am very similar to you in that we're about the same handicap and I am looking for a PLM for the same reasons, although I have ambitions to build a garage simulator for the winter. That said, my price point is a bit more flexible and I've opted to wait it out and see what the Bushnell product and the SwingKit product offer this fall. If I can get club data sub $10K - I will likely buy one of these new units. If not, will likely pull the trigger on a used Flightscope Xi Tour. 

Edited by RGlaze978
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Mevo+ and enjoy the data it provides (and it seems to be fairly accurate). I do wish it gave numbers as to swing path and face to path (instead of just saying “push draw or pull draw” etc. I also wish it gave dynamic loft (yes, I hear you can reverse engineer the spin loft number to get that, but I don’t know how). What I have noticed as I’ve used mine along side a GCQ is that the Mevo+ shows almost double the AOA as compared to the GCQ.. not sure which one is correct though, but I’ll assume the GCQ is.

All in all I’m happy with Mevo+..for $2k it’s the best option out there..IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

You're like me in that I don't have space to use indoors.  I considered the Mevo+, but instead went with the Rapsodo at a much cheaper cost.  Reason being that other than spin data, Rapsodo had most of what I wanted.  Sure, spin is a pretty key metric, but only if you actually know what to do to alter it.  As a self taught golfer and a 10 handicap, I'm not going to pretend I know how to diagnose every miniscule flaw in my swing.  If I was going to make a purchasing decision, I wouldn't base it on Mevo+ data...I'd go to a fitter or a golf shop with a GC Quad or Trackman in their demo hitting bay and use that data.

Basically all I use my Rapsodo for is to be able to track progress over time and sometimes refer back to the video clips.  If I'm struggling at the range, I'll look back to some of my better sessions where numbers were good, then pick a few videos where I had the best hits and see if I can find anything compared to what I'm doing now.  Sometimes I see added head movement, better hip/shoulder rotation, or me taking the club away funky.

With the $1500 savings...I have the option to go get some professional lessons.  LOL

If I was looking for a home and range setup, I do think the extra $1500 for the mevo+ can easily be justified if you make use of it a couple times a week.  I just don't think $2k for a range only LM is worth it for me.  YMMV.

I find it super interesting that people assume using a unit with accurate club parameters will allow them to dial in their swing. While it can be helpful when experimenting with swing feels to see what changes with your swing, most amateurs would benefit much more from “avoidance” stations like these in conjunction with reasonably accurate ball data: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRtcwiwjxra/?utm_medium=copy_link

Don’t want to derail the thread but you could set up numerous stations like these and recreate any numbers you might find on club data. The external cues with alignment sticks, pool noodles, etc will help your body / mind learn much faster. 

• Like 2

If you will be practising at driving ranges save your money and dont bother. Range balls do not launch representatively so all you will do is dial yourself in to range balls.

Accurate launch monitors are great if you are using a premium ball.

Do you have any trackman/Topgolf driving ranges near you?

MGS tested a range ball in their 2021 testing.

Edited by James495738

If you will be practising at driving ranges save your money and dont bother. Range balls do not launch representatively so all you will do is dial yourself in to range balls.

Accurate launch monitors are great if you are using a premium ball.

Do you have any trackman/Topgolf driving ranges near you?

MGS tested a range ball in their 2021 testing.

• 1 month later...

Skytrak ain't worth a damn outside or inside i have one it sucks, 1/2 of the numbers you get aren't close, honestly i wouldn't even buy a launch monitor. My swing coach has an old flight scope that we use a little out at his range but he doesn't really use it to sit there and look at numbers like spin and all he uses it only for spin axis and curve. If you want to fix your spin axis (ball curving in unwanted direction) the best way to do it is get a lesson. Also as a plus 3 handicap i see no use in launch monitor numbers i'm not worried about backspin with my irons or stuff like that, Although i do care about my driver spin numbers its kind of obvious to the naked eye if you aren't getting enough spin or too much spin. Spend the money on lessons your game will improve much more with lessons than with a launch monitor.