College golfers in the Olympics

Men:

Alabama Justin Thomas (USA)

Arizona Rory Sabbatini (SVK)

Arizona State Paul Casey (GBR)

Augusta Henrik Norlander (SWE)

Augusta Patrick Reed (USA)

California Collin Morikawa (USA)

East Tennessee State Adrian Meronk (POL)

Florida Maximilian Kieffer (GER)

Georgia Sepp Straka (AUT)

Illinois Thomas Detry (BEL)

Illinois Thomas Pieters (BEL)

Indiana Jorge Campillo (ESP)

Kent State Corey Conners (CAN)

Kent State Mackenzie Hughes (CAN)

New Mexico Gavin Green (MAS)

North Texas Sebastián Muñoz (COL)

North Texas Carlos Ortiz (MEX)

Oklahoma Abraham Ancer (MEX)

Oklahoma State Viktor Hovland (NOR)

Oklahoma State Alex Norén (SWE)

San Diego State Xander Schauffele (USA)

Texas Jhonattan Vegas (VEN)

Texas A&M Adri Arnaus (ESP)

Texas Tech Hurly Long (GER)

Texas Tech Mito Pereira (CHI)

Kansas City Antoine Rozner (FRA)

UNLV Garrick Higgo (RSA)

Vanderbilt Matthias Schwab (AUT)

VCU Rafael Campos (PUR)

Virginia Tech Scott Vincent (ZIM)

Washington Pan Cheng-tsung (TPE)

Washington Yuan Yechun (CHN)

Women:

Alabama Stephanie Meadow (IRL)

Arizona Bianca Pagdanganan (THA)

Arizona State Carlota Ciganda (ESP)

Arizona State Giulia Molinaro (ITA)

Arizona State Azahara Muñoz (ESP)

Arizona State Anna Nordqvist (SWE)

Arkansas María Fassi (MEX)

Arkansas Gaby López (MEX)

Chattanooga Christine Wolf (AUT)

Denver Tonje Daffinrud (NOR)

Duke Céline Boutier (FRA)

Duke Leona Maguire (IRL)

Florida María Fernanda Torres (PUR)

Florida State Matilda Castren (FIN)

Florida State Kim Métraux (SUI)

LSU Madelene Sagström (SWE)

Lynn Maha Haddioui (MAR)

Miami Daniela Darquea (ECU)

New Mexico Manon de Roey (BEL)

New Mexico Jodi Ewart Shadoff (GBR)

New Mexico State Alena Sharp (CAN)

Oklahoma State Caroline Masson (GER)

Old Dominion Magdalena Simmermacher (ARG)

Pepperdine Danielle Kang (USA)

Purdue Paula Reto (RSA)

South Carolina Nanna Koerstz Madsen (DEN)

Stanford Albane Valenzuela (SUI)

TCU Sanna Nuutinen (FIN)

UCLA Patty Tavatanakit (THA)

UCLA Mariajo Uribe (COL)

USC Tiffany Chan (HKG)

USC Sophia Popov (GER)

Couple of call outs...

Lots of top tier players from all over the world come to the US to play college golf.  We all knew this but it really shoves it in your face looking at this list.

Jessica Korda, Nelly Korda and Lexi Thompson didn't go to college.

• Like 2
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

I am not sure why this is a surprise. Your reading into things too much.  It takes a lot money to go pro. Very hard unless your like the Korda's who had a famous dad or Lexi who has success at young age to get endorsements and sponsors.

If you want to rise in the amateur ranks it pretty much means playing college golf because you want access to those events. College almost certainly can help you gain status and get support off the course.

There are really 2 types of golfers that end up in college from what I seen the ones who want to turn pro and do not care about the education and the ones who are only there for the education.   A lot top programs also don't care about the education either.  If you want a education don't expect to have very many top golfers on your team.

1 hour ago, leezer99 said:

@tiger1873 I would say it takes less money the more talented you are.  If you're forking over a bunch of coin it's likely to gain exposure on a larger scale.

The big issue is you need investors if you do not have money.   Those investors want a return in many cases.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/lifestyle/money-game-investing-player-pro-circuit/%3famp=1

Edited by tiger1873

17 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

The big issue is you need investors if you do not have money.   Those investors want a return in many cases.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/lifestyle/money-game-investing-player-pro-circuit/%3famp=1

Yes, I am very familiar.  A decade or so ago we had a local kid (20 or so at the time) that would win everything.  Had the course record 58 at our home course and could hit shots you wouldn't believe.  Got himself wrapped up with an investor that basically set his schedule across the US based on what he thought he could win, set him up with a clothing company that was more about fashion than function and the kid was miserable.  The payback schedule was pretty aggressive as well with a really high % going back to the investor after each event.  Regardless of money won he had to pay back a portion of his investment every year which meant getting odd jobs here and there.  He's no longer in golf.  IMO the investor ruined this kid's potential to be great.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

On 8/1/2021 at 9:43 AM, tiger1873 said:

There are really 2 types of golfers that end up in college from what I seen the ones who want to turn pro and do not care about the education and the ones who are only there for the education.   A lot top programs also don't care about the education either.  If you want a education don't expect to have very many top golfers on your team.

This makes total sense and is a rational decision by the students.  You're either there for the golf program to leverage it and try to turn pro, or you used golf as a means to an (educational) end.  Prioritizing playing for a team and "fit" when you have no shot at turning it into a career is basically picking a school for an extracurricular activity.  Extending adolescence.

On 8/1/2021 at 10:53 AM, heavy_hitter said:

Personally think it is sad that institutions in the US are bringing international students in.  They take away money from home grown talent while preparing them to play against our talent on a global scale.  I honestly wish that NCAA would make a rule that not one dime of scholarship money could go to international students!!

I will say that a LOT of international students receive money from their home country and aren’t costing the school any athletic scholarship money.  Which is why they are valuable to many programs.  Essentially “walk ons” with a full ride.  I’ve taught several of those type of players while they are in the US

• Like 4

On 8/1/2021 at 4:49 AM, leezer99 said:

Men:

UNLV Garrick Higgo (RSA)

VCU Rafael Campos (PUR)

Women:

Duke Leona Maguire (IRL)

Lynn Maha Haddioui (MAR)

Purdue Paula Reto (RSA)

TCU Sanna Nuutinen (FIN)

UCLA Mariajo Uribe (COL)

USC Tiffany Chan (HKG)

USC Sophia Popov (GER)

Couple of call outs...

Lots of top tier players from all over the world come to the US to play college golf.  We all knew this but it really shoves it in your face looking at this list.

This is quite a comprehensive list....did you compile it yourself or copy it from another list/site?

There are quite a few women players who didn't attend college to play golf.

Of the top 20 women's Olympic qualifiers.....16 players didn't play collegiate golf.

1 hour ago, iteachgolf said:

I will say that a LOT of international students receive money from their home country and aren’t costing the school any athletic scholarship money.  Which is why they are valuable to many programs.  Essentially “walk ons” with a full ride.  I’ve taught several of those type of players while they are in the US

University's in states have it set up with other countries for them to pay for the athlete.  It is one of the many NCAA's failures to regulate.  Why can that country pay for the athlete, but an American Citizen can't have a car dealership pay or a sponsor for home grown athletes?  I believe legislation was just passed in Florida to stop this?  A private institution can do what they want.  I have a problem with State/Federal monies and resources helping international students in academics or athletics.

• Like 3

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

36 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

University's in states have it set up with other countries for them to pay for the athlete.  It is one of the many NCAA's failures to regulate.  Why can that country pay for the athlete, but an American Citizen can't have a car dealership pay or a sponsor for home grown athletes?  I believe legislation was just passed in Florida to stop this?  A private institution can do what they want.  I have a problem with State/Federal monies and resources helping international students in academics or athletics.

The sad part is because it golf an olympic sport we are getting countries pour money into golf for their programs. The real issue here is USGA should ban them as Amateurs. 

My daughter played with a kid from Canada. They got free teaching, free housing in Orlando with a nice house and pretty much travel and tournaments paid for along with anything else they need.  Canada is not the only country that does this.

There no longer amateurs and you can tell the pressure is enormous on these kids. Lose and your going to be sent home with no perks anymore. My kid loses we go get ice cream and talk about the next tournament.

All I can say is once you get over the fact they get paid to play you learn they may actually be the one worse off.  We are free to play golf on our terms. We also have the freedom to play and drop out tournaments.   We are also free to keep our winning if we do turn pro. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

The sad part is because it golf an olympic sport we are getting countries pour money into golf for their programs. The real issue here is USGA should ban them as Amateurs. 

My daughter played with a kid from Canada. They got free teaching, free housing in Orlando with a nice house and pretty much travel and tournaments paid for along with anything else they need.  Canada is not the only country that does this.

There no longer amateurs and you can tell the pressure is enormous on these kids. Lose and your going to be sent home with no perks anymore. My kid loses we go get ice cream and talk about the next tournament.

All I can say is once you get over the fact they get paid to play you learn they may actually be the one worse off.  We are free to play golf on our terms. We also have the freedom to play and drop out tournaments.   We are also free to keep our winning if we do turn pro. 

Agreed.  It just isn't because it is an Olympic Sport now.  It has been done with Korean girl's for years.  Chinese government also pays for their golfers to be here and compete against our kids.  You are right, they shouldn't be considered Amateurs because they are being funded to play.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

Agreed.  It just isn't because it is an Olympic Sport now.  It has been done with Korean girl's for years.  Chinese government also pays for their golfers to be here and compete against our kids.  You are right, they shouldn't be considered Amateurs because they are being funded to play.

I feel like a country of one and funding my kids. 😞

• Haha 3

Just now, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

I feel like a country of one and funding my kids. 😞

LOL....  not a level playing field.  I don't always agree with Tiger, but he is correct.  They are being paid to train in the states against our kids with their home government funding.  How are they amateurs in the USGA's eyes or even the NCAA's eyes for that matter?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

LOL....  not a level playing field.  I don't always agree with Tiger, but he is correct.  They are being paid to train in the states against our kids with their home government funding.  How are they amateurs in the USGA's eyes or even the NCAA's eyes for that matter?

I understand the difference but I am curious, do you feel the same way about US athletes training with respective national teams? For example, the US under 19 men’s b-ball team is full of incoming college freshmen and rising sophomores? I don’t know this for a fact, but I assume the women’s jr national gymnastics team Is full of women who are or will be college athletes one day. No, not for an entire year or anything, but are those athletes not receiving state funding to train and compete as well? 

Real question because I don’t know the answer. Are the athletes you’re referring to being paid to train in the US or do they just have their expenses covered? I know one familiar who has a golfer for the Canadian national JR team and I never got the feeling that they profited monetarily or lost control over what tournaments were played. Aside from the biggest Canadian JR/amateur event or two the player is free to select events as they please. 

17 hours ago, leezer99 said:

Yes, I am very familiar.  A decade or so ago we had a local kid (20 or so at the time) that would win everything.  Had the course record 58 at our home course and could hit shots you wouldn't believe.  Got himself wrapped up with an investor that basically set his schedule across the US based on what he thought he could win, set him up with a clothing company that was more about fashion than function and the kid was miserable.  The payback schedule was pretty aggressive as well with a really high % going back to the investor after each event.  Regardless of money won he had to pay back a portion of his investment every year which meant getting odd jobs here and there.  He's no longer in golf.  IMO the investor ruined this kid's potential to be great.

Nobody forced the player to take the investor's money.

• Sad 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

8 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

I understand the difference but I am curious, do you feel the same way about US athletes training with respective national teams? For example, the US under 19 men’s b-ball team is full of incoming college freshmen and rising sophomores? I don’t know this for a fact, but I assume the women’s jr national gymnastics team Is full of women who are or will be college athletes one day. No, not for an entire year or anything, but are those athletes not receiving state funding to train and compete as well? 

Real question because I don’t know the answer. Are the athletes you’re referring to being paid to train in the US or do they just have their expenses covered? I know one familiar who has a golfer for the Canadian national JR team and I never got the feeling that they profited monetarily or lost control over what tournaments were played. Aside from the biggest Canadian JR/amateur event or two the player is free to select events as they please. 

Golf has strong traditions of what an Amateur is.  

If your getting money to play and travel with free equipment and lessons you need to have results at events that matter to the national team or you are going to lose those benefits. So everyone including the parents are stressed out at events.

I have a nephew that was on the Canadian National Team for boxing so I am somewhat familiar with how these things work.  They got plenty of pressure to play events.  As long as they were winning everything was great. Free travel and housing and a stipend.

On the way to the olympics he lost to a competitor and instantly he was thrown off the team.  It was super hard to go from getting everything to have nothing. Had to find new coaches and place to practice. Set him in a really bad place when he went pro.  

They don't care about you just the good press they can from winning.  Nothing is better then being self funded and a developing athlete.  Personally I don't think the money is worth taking.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 2:49 PM, leezer99 said:

Men:

UNLV Garrick Higgo (RSA)

VCU Rafael Campos (PUR)

Women:

Duke Leona Maguire (IRL)

Lynn Maha Haddioui (MAR)

Purdue Paula Reto (RSA)

TCU Sanna Nuutinen (FIN)

UCLA Mariajo Uribe (COL)

USC Tiffany Chan (HKG)

USC Sophia Popov (GER)

Couple of call outs...

I remember how I was in college and how much I enjoyed playing sports. I also tried to study really well and get cool grades. Sometimes the company https://writix.co.uk/personal-statement-help helped me with writing the personal statements that I needed to enter the university.

Great list, thanks for sharing.

Edited by Forrest Sanchez