My estimated distances

chipa

Here are my carry distances I'm going to try to stick to with my new setup, which means swinging easier with everything.

47.75" driver 275

43.75" driver 250

4 wood 225

7 wood 204

4 iron 189

5 178

6 168

7 157

8 146

9 135

P 124

L 80

I feel I can be at 105 with the shorter driver and swing w/in myself. My 7 iron should be around 83. The long driver adds 10 mph ave. I will only use it for a few holes a round assuming I am swinging well. With my new strategy and equipment I hope to be a single digit hc w/in the year.

• Like 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

49 minutes ago, chipa said:

Here are my carry distances I'm going to try to stick to with my new setup, which means swinging easier with everything.

47.75" driver 275

43.75" driver 250

4 wood 225

7 wood 204

4 iron 189

5 178

6 168

7 157

8 146

9 135

P 124

L 80

I feel I can be at 105 with the shorter driver and swing w/in myself. My 7 iron should be around 83. The long driver adds 10 mph ave. I will only use it for a few holes a round assuming I am swinging well. With my new strategy and equipment I hope to be a single digit hc w/in the year.

The carry distances you post are Tour player averages at sea level courses and well more than sufficient 65 at any of the world's championship golf courses.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

2 hours ago, chipa said:

47.75" driver 275

43.75" driver 250

4 wood 225

7 wood 204

4 iron 189

5 178

6 168

7 157

8 146

9 135

P 124

L 80

Your iron numbers are basically the same as mine, FWIW. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

The carry distances you post are Tour player averages at sea level courses and well more than sufficient 65 at any of the world's championship golf courses.

I am basing my iron distance on my home course which is about 600 ft. above sea level. I do have a radar as well just for clubhead speed.

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

9 minutes ago, chipa said:

I am basing my iron distance on my home course which is about 600 ft. above sea level. I do have a radar as well just for clubhead speed.

My point is that your posted carry distances are more than sufficient to shoot 65 at any of the world's championship courses. So, to achieve your stated goal of becoming a single digit handicap player I suggest focusing on hitting straight shots from tee to green, developing good green side touch, striking putts square-solid etc...

Regarding the bag you posted, I suggest playing the 43.75" driver and leaving the longer shafted one at home. If your PW carry is 124 yards I suggest a GW you carry 115, a SW you carry 100, a LW you carry 85,and a 62* or 64* you carry between 40 and 70 yards.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

My point is that your posted carry distances are more than sufficient to shoot 65 at any of the world's championship courses. So, to achieve your stated goal of becoming a single digit handicap player I suggest focusing on hitting straight shots from tee to green, developing good green side touch, striking putts square-solid etc...

Regarding the bag you posted, I suggest playing the 43.75" driver and leaving the longer shafted one at home. If your PW carry is 124 yards I suggest a GW you carry 115, a SW you carry 100, a LW you carry 85,and a 62* or 64* you carry between 40 and 70 yards.

Thanks for the info, I am determined to be disciplined enough to get to a single digit hc, and I feel overswinging has been my nemesis. I am on a budget but will probably get a 56 SW but my PW is already 49 deg. so I don't think I need a GW. Also, the LW has at least 10 deg. of bounce and since I am short opening the clubface always sticks the toe high up so I think I will use it as a SW for now, we'll see. Also, I was thinking since I have been such a poor wedge player (with my other irons) using the PW between 80 and 120 may give me more opportunities to help me develop a little more feel and may help my overall game.

Notes:

1 hour ago, chipa said:

Thanks for the info, I am determined to be disciplined enough to get to a single digit hc, and I feel overswinging has been my nemesis. I am on a budget but will probably get a 56 SW but my PW is already 49 deg. so I don't think I need a GW. Also, the LW has at least 10 deg. of bounce and since I am short opening the clubface always sticks the toe high up so I think I will use it as a SW for now, we'll see. Also, I was thinking since I have been such a poor wedge player (with my other irons) using the PW between 80 and 120 may give me more opportunities to help me develop a little more feel and may help my overall game.

What is the loft of your L wedge ?

1 hour ago, chipa said:

Thanks for the info, I am determined to be disciplined enough to get to a single digit hc, and I feel overswinging has been my nemesis

I went from a 14 hcp to 7 in one season by simply taking (what feels like, but I'm told doesn't look like) 3/4 swings. You're a bit longer off the tee than I am, but my irons are roughly where yours are at, perhaps a smidgen shorter.

I get weird with the more lofted clubs though, I've got a 20 yds gap between my 8 and 9 iron.. but I know it's there and I can manage it.

My GIR pretty much doubled and I went from having multiple penalty shots per round to now averaging 0.3 per 18 holes. Pretty much eliminating OB and water hazards is a very easy way to shave off strokes.

Note: Kids no longer ask for my autograph and women no longer throw themselves at my feet at the mere sight of my sweet, sweet drives on the driving range.. but I feel it's worth it!

Edited by Rocky Ball-boa
  • Like 2
  • Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Nike VR Pro II 3 iron - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Titleist 718 MB - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

1 hour ago, Fairway14 said:

What is the loft of your L wedge ?

60 deg. My distances are estimated I've never played a LW consistently and my new irons are actually old and have weak lofts, the PW is 49 and the 7i 35 deg. If it turns out that I need to reduce the distance I'm ok I just need to have everything covered up to 205 or so.

Notes:

1 hour ago, Rocky Ball-boa said:

I went from a 14 hcp to 7 in one season by simply taking (what feels like, but I'm told doesn't look like) 3/4 swings. You're a bit longer off the tee than I am, but my irons are roughly where yours are at, perhaps a smidgen shorter.

I get weird with the more lofted clubs though, I've got a 20 yds gap between my 8 and 9 iron.. but I know it's there and I can manage it.

My GIR pretty much doubled and I went from having multiple penalty shots per round to now averaging 0.3 per 18 holes. Pretty much eliminating OB and water hazards is a very easy way to shave off strokes.

Note: Kids no longer ask for my autograph and women no longer throw themselves at my feet at the mere sight of my sweet, sweet drives on the driving range.. but I feel it's worth it!

Thanks for the info, its taken me a long time to get to this mentality but I'm 56 and I've finally decided if I really want to reach my max potential I need to be more disciplined in everything.

Notes:

17 minutes ago, chipa said:

60 deg. My distances are estimated I've never played a LW consistently and my new irons are actually old and have weak lofts, the PW is 49 and the 7i 35 deg. If it turns out that I need to reduce the distance I'm ok I just need to have everything covered up to 205 or so.

I suggest having in your bag a 49* wedge for carry shots of 100 to 125 yards.

A 56* wedge with bounce of 10* to 12*  for carry shots of 70 to 100 yards as well as greenside bunker play.

A 62* or 64* wedge for carry sots of 40 to 70 yards.

For greenside chipping , depending on the distance to the hole, play 6-iron thru 9-iron.

For green side pitching the 56* is usually the best club choice. 

Play your approach shots so that a miss leaves you with a routine chip, pitch, or bunker shot. However, if you do leave your ball out of position with little green to work with a 62* or 64* wedge is useful for green side lob shots.

I think the above strategy for short game play, combined with removing the 47" driver from the bag and playing tee shots with no more than the 43.75" driver, is the best sense way for you to reach your goal of a single digit handicap.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

I suggest having in your bag a 49* wedge for carry shots of 100 to 125 yards.

A 56* wedge with bounce of 10* to 12*  for carry shots of 70 to 100 yards as well as greenside bunker play.

A 62* or 64* wedge for carry sots of 40 to 70 yards.

For greenside chipping , depending on the distance to the hole, play 6-iron thru 9-iron.

For green side pitching the 56* is usually the best club choice. 

Play your approach shots so that a miss leaves you with a routine chip, pitch, or bunker shot. However, if you do leave your ball out of position with little green to work with a 62* or 64* wedge is useful for green side lob shots.

I think the above strategy for short game play, combined with removing the 47" driver from the bag and playing tee shots with no more than the 43.75" driver, is the best sense way for you to reach your goal of a single digit handicap.

Thanks for the info it's very good advice. As far as the long driver the two par 5's on my course are difficult I've never got home in two. One is 548 but plays into a perennial wind and the approach is slightly uphill so it plays more like 570. The second one is also into the wind at 480 and the hole is well guarded by a large tree and elevated so the tee shot needs to be around 300 because of the angle to have 200 in, the green is raised and small and undulating anything short or long usually means 4 strokes to get down. I'm thinking of using the long driver just on these holes only if I am swinging well. If not I'll just go for getting on in regulation.

BTW, my PW is 49 deg. its the old std. they are '99 Titleist DCI's.

Notes:

32 minutes ago, chipa said:

Thanks for the info it's very good advice. As far as the long driver the two par 5's on my course are difficult I've never got home in two. One is 548 but plays into a perennial wind and the approach is slightly uphill so it plays more like 570. The second one is also into the wind at 480 and the hole is well guarded by a large tree and elevated so the tee shot needs to be around 300 because of the angle to have 200 in, the green is raised and small and undulating anything short or long usually means 4 strokes to get down. I'm thinking of using the long driver just on these holes only if I am swinging well. If not I'll just go for getting on in regulation.

BTW, my PW is 49 deg. its the old std. they are '99 Titleist DCI's.

If your goal is single digit handicap and, or, having a scoring average around 76, 77 I suggest forgetting about reaching par 5 holes with two shots.

The reward of a long drive followed by a precise long second shot to a well protected green is not worth the risk. For a player trying to shoot 65, yes, hitting par 5's in two is part of the picture. But for someone trying to shoot 75 playing for the middle of the fairway and leaving a routine 70 to 100 yard wedge third shot is the best sense strategy.

Also, and most significant, is that a 47" shafted club and, or, any effort at trying for maximum tee box distance inevitably has a negative effect for the swing's needed to play the rest of the clubs within the bag. For example, I believe if you remove the 47" driver from the bag you will find that swinging no more than the 43.75" driver results in improved  swing tempo-rhythm for the iron shots, wedges, etc... that you play throughout the round.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

If your goal is single digit handicap and, or, having a scoring average around 76, 77 I suggest forgetting about reaching par 5 holes with two shots.

The reward of a long drive followed by a precise long second shot to a well protected green is not worth the risk. For a player trying to shoot 65, yes, hitting par 5's in two is part of the picture. But for someone trying to shoot 75 playing for the middle of the fairway and leaving a routine 70 to 100 yard wedge third shot is the best sense strategy.

Also, and most significant, is that a 47" shafted club and, or, any effort at trying for maximum tee box distance inevitably has a negative effect for the swing's needed to play the rest of the clubs within the bag. For example, I believe if you remove the 47" driver from the bag you will find that swinging no more than the 43.75" driver results in improved  swing tempo-rhythm for the iron shots, wedges, etc... that you play throughout the round.

This is good advice I appreciate it. I am still putting my bag together after a few major changes but feel certain I will take your advice. I also realize swinging fully with the driver helps my overall swing mechanics because it gets me better on my right side, which really protects my problematic lower back. In fact sometimes I hurt my back more trying to swing too easy because my lower back/hip, leg don't "lock" together and my lower back turns as a result. I had surgery many years ago and have fused vertebrae and this always hurts. I may never get where I want to be but like most things in life the challenge is half the fun and I feel blessed to be able to even play golf. I may end up swinging a little more vigorously but playing a cut or at least let my weight get fully on the right side for anything more than a pitch but just dead hand it. I don't feel I turn my shoulders a lot but have a good weight shift and vigorous hand action. The bottom line is I finally realize accuracy and distance control is the most important thing to consider in iron play.

Notes:

The 44yd gap btw PW and LW is a huge hole especially if you are wanting to get to single digits.  Btw your 124yd PW and 80yd LW there really should be a pair of clubs at 110 and 95.   Also, I don't know many who like hitting their LW full; most prefer using a 3/4 SW with a lower more controlled trajectory.  I know it's the highest percentage shot in my game. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, webwarmiller said:

The 44yd gap btw PW and LW is a huge hole especially if you are wanting to get to single digits.  Btw your 124yd PW and 80yd LW there really should be a pair of clubs at 110 and 95.   Also, I don't know many who like hitting their LW full; most prefer using a 3/4 SW with a lower more controlled trajectory.  I know it's the highest percentage shot in my game. 

Thanks, I'll probably get a 56 wedge to go with my 49 deg. PW.

Notes:

On 8/2/2021 at 3:00 PM, Fairway14 said:

I was playing around with the driver and honestly it doesn't feel that difficult to hit. I don't have a Trackman but do have a radar and can go to the range. Also, the holes where I would use driver at my course(the only one I play) have ample fairways so I am thinking a 3/4 swing with the long driver should get me to 108 or so easily and should be really w/in myself and under control. I think this may have its advantages given my almost uncontrollable tendency to overswing as the round progresses. Also, I see that with decent mechanics the swing plane being flatter shouldn't be an issue as there are many short professional players with flat driver swings. It also seems logical that the ball would not be any farther away from my eyes than for a taller player with a 45.5" inch driver as I'm only 5'6".

Notes: