How I learned to play okay golf within my first 14 rounds

Hey all. Firstly, this is not a flex at all, and I am far from a decent golfer. I am a beginner, spent my first couple months really confused about the sport. This is meant to be more of a primer for new golfers to glean off my notes and see what worked and what didn't for me.

I started golfing just before the pandemic issues got serious in the states. My dad invited me to spend some quality time we had been missing for years, and I went into my first round with a lot of confidence. I had formerly been an athlete in a couple different sports, and like many others, thought that I would be able to absolutely squash what I perceived as a largely unathletic cohort without much effort. Also like many others, my first round was a complete wash. One or two good shots in what seemed to be 200 or more strokes. I decided the game wasn't for me, but after a few weeks, the bad taste in my mouth of losing to my dad just wouldn't go away. I watched a few videos, stole an old set of big bertha irons from my dad's garage, and decided I'd at least practice until I could make decent contact with the ball. I challenged him again around a month after my first loss, and still lost handily, but left for home after having hit a handful of the "shot that brings you back." By that point, I was hooked, and I started to take the game much more seriously. Below I will detail my journey to finally breaking 90, and the successes and mistakes I made in my first year of golf. 

Almost all rounds (except for 12) were played on the "blue" tees of my home course which is 6600 yards with a 72 par and a 132 slope rating. Round 12 was played on black which is 7200. 

Round 1: Too many to count

Round 2: Too many to count

Round 3: 132

Round 4: 106

Round 5: 102

Round 6: 102

Round 7: 95

Round 8: 98

Round 9: 93

Round 10: 94

Round 11: 90

Round 12: 92

Round 13: 90

Round 14: 86

I am "self-taught" meaning I used a combination of youtube, tips from buddies, and all the advice I could find on golfwrx. Golfwrx has been both a huge boon and a bust. Since joining, I have changed iron sets 4 times, drivers twice, and still have no idea whether 3 or 4 wedges is the "correct" number. That being said, I will organize below my successes and mistakes. I get about 1 round per month (I have young kids), so its been about 14-15 months since I started. 

Mistakes in the first 6 months:

- Firstly, not getting lessons was probably a mistake. I feel much more comfortable about my form and general skills now, but I could have saved a few months of confusion by just forking up the money for lessons. There are just too many different situations and nuances in golf, and you can't just apply one swing willy nilly to the other parts of your game. 

- Another huge mistake that I made was watching too much Rick Shiels. He was the "hip" golfer on Youtube's algorithm, and his videos are generally filmed in a way that's certainly very pleasing to the eye. I don't think his videos were useless, but outside of a few tips here and there, I didn't end up gaining much. I think about him as more clickbait geared towards millennial youtube addicts (I'm a millennial myself 😆) who probably plays to a low-mid handicap. Certainly, that may just be applicable to me, and some of you may love his content, but again, his videos did not contribute much to my development as a golfer. He did, however, contribute to my golf literacy and comfort with the golf vocabulary.

- Other things that wasted my time were gimmicky things such as the acustrike mat and birdie ball/foam balls. Both gave me false security that I was hitting the ball well, when in fact, I wasn't.

- Spending too much time in the classified section.

- My final big mistake: the launch monitor at PGASS. My practice sessions usually involved 100 balls in 30 mins and trying to nuke my 7 iron 200 yards. I'd walk out covered in sweat, chest puffed out because the GC2 misread my toeball drive at 1800 spin and miles of carry. 

Successes in the first 6 months:

- Back on the topic of youtube, the three most important channels: TXG, Clay Ballard, Michael John Field. TXG, I learned a ton about golf and the science of ball flight. Clay Ballard's videos helped me keep by butt out and shallow my swing. Michael John Field has probably the best slow motion content on youtube, and no one better to learn from. 

- The coach's eye app. You don't know how bad your swing looks until you see it on camera in slow motion. For me, filming from behind was way more important that from the front. 

- Books and websites on the biomechanics of golf. Once I understood why certain positions created a more ideal ball flight, it was easier to generate a corresponding swing.

Mistakes in the last 6 months:

- The classified section

- Reading about blades vs CB's

- Having a heated bet with a friend that I could play blades no problem

- Buying a set of blades 

- Not practicing my short game

Successes in the last 6 months:

- Interestingly, the blueprints have helped my game a lot. I used to think I middled everything, but after buying blades and a can of foot spray, I can say that I was waaay off the mark. Those hollow irons really make everything easier. That being said, after buying blades, a golf net, a nice mat ("reel feel" buy a nice mat, save your wrists), and at least 100 hours of practice, I can say that most of my shots are near or on the middle. My score actually didn't change much after going to blades. This is not an argument in favor of blades, not opening that crazy can of worms in this thread. 

- The launch monitor at PGASS: While a terrible thing early in my golf career, after figuring out how to practice, it has been a huge help in tweaking my clubs to get desired flight characteristics and distances.

- Foot spray

- Practice mat

- Foot spray

- Foot spray

My last round:

- Score: 86

- Fairways: 9/13

- GIR: 7/18

- Balls lost: 2

- 3 putts: not counted correctly

My short game is obviously in huge need of improvement. What changed everything for me was my mat at home and foot spray. As long as my contact is good, I can tweak my direction on the range before a round. The range and the launch monitor are dangerous things if you don't use them in goal directed ways. The classified section is a dangerous place. Heck, the entire website is a dangerous place, but I love it. If you are coming from a different sport, drop your confidence because you will lose it. Welcome to the greatest game on the planet, I hope I play until I'm 80. 

Edited by sadclevelandsports
  • Like 4

• sadclevelandsports changed the title to How I learned to play half-decent golf within my first 14 rounds

I’ve been playing for roughly a year myself, no athletic background tho. However 6ish months ago I broke my collarbone and Am just now getting back to where I used to be. On your point about getting a lesson early on 💯agree. Although my swing is not what I want it to be rn, pre-injury it made a huge difference (not necessarily in score, but a good baseline in properly swinging the club). 
I’ve constantly thought about the foot spray thing but never end up bringing it to the range out of laziness.. it work tho?

• sadclevelandsports changed the title to How I learned to play okay golf within my first 14 rounds
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Bocaji said:

I’ve been playing for roughly a year myself, no athletic background tho. However 6ish months ago I broke my collarbone and Am just now getting back to where I used to be. On your point about getting a lesson early on 💯agree. Although my swing is not what I want it to be rn, pre-injury it made a huge difference (not necessarily in score, but a good baseline in properly swinging the club). 
I’ve constantly thought about the foot spray thing but never end up bringing it to the range out of laziness.. it work tho?

Foot spray and learning to keep my butt out were the two most important things for me to develop my ball striking. I had these super bulky cobra forged tec irons and then the z785 irons, and I didn't really realize how much help I was getting from my irons until I got the blueprints. I started using footspray when I realized my hands were stinging way more than they used to, and I found that I was hitting all over the place. After a few months of the spray, my strike pattern is way closer to the center. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

How many hole outs and birdies? 86 with 10 3-jacks on 7 GIRs, and 2 lost balls is pretty wild

Did I miscount? I had 42/44, 1 double bogey, the rest were bogeys and 5 pars

Edit: Sorry I figured it out, I counted putts from the fringe as putts.

2 hours ago, hammersia said:

Good read cheers

Not to be a negative Nancy but ever so slightly sceptical that you're 14th ever round was an actual, law abiding, 86... 

I would go out on a limb here and venture a guess that MAYBE 10% of recreational golfers record an actual, law abiding round. 

Taking tournament play out of the equation. I've played a lot of casual golf with a lot of different golfers & 90% I've paired with are breakfast ball, play it a club length (some a scorecard) improved lie golfers. 

26 minutes ago, mangohead said:

ok, I'll say it.

I call bullxxxx on hitting 95 on your 7th day golfing.

7 days is not even enough to figure out how long you hit each club.

Bunker game, chipping, punch out, flop shots, 2-putting, course mgmt., club selection

All these are required to break 100

Apparently you've never tried his foot spray.  If you had you'd be shooting mid-80s from the tips in your 14th round ever 😆

Edited by sekrah

Good read, thanks for sharing. 

I mean its plausible I guess.  A good friend and multi-sport athlete started taking the game seriously about 18 months ago.  He went from about a 40 handicap to something like an 18 over that time.  However, he is playing twice a week and hitting the range at least once as well.  He also has myself and a former NCAA Div I golfer helping him out.  Playing lessons on short game and course management are invaluable.  Even so, his scores are nowhere near as consistent as what was posted.  I'd wager my buddy shoots 100+ more often than in the 80s.  Shooting 92 from 7200 yards is certainly no easy task.    

That said, congrats.  You must be a hell of an athlete. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

G410 10.5 Ventus VeloCore Blue 6TX - SIM2 HL 3W Ventus Blue 6S - Titleist 915 2H Red Board S - Mizuno MP 20 Proj X IO 6.0 - Clev 588 Forged Wedges - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

1 hour ago, MattC555 said:

Good read, thanks for sharing. 

I mean its plausible I guess.  A good friend and multi-sport athlete started taking the game seriously about 18 months ago.  He went from about a 40 handicap to something like an 18 over that time.  However, he is playing twice a week and hitting the range at least once as well.  He also has myself and a former NCAA Div I golfer helping him out.  Playing lessons on short game and course management are invaluable.  Even so, his scores are nowhere near as consistent as what was posted.  I'd wager my buddy shoots 100+ more often than in the 80s.  Shooting 92 from 7200 yards is certainly no easy task.    

That said, congrats.  You must be a hell of an athlete. 

Can you find out your friend's last 10 scores ?

Sigh..leave it to golfwrx to take a thread that was started with good intentions and drag it through the mud. Couple of things to point out on the comments above, this is around 1.5 years of work, not 14 days. I practice almost daily in my garage. I have posted my swing before here, and got a lot of help previously from a guy named @Valtiel (such as this one: https://youtube.com/shorts/cV9HBR7Mn4I). We installed turf in our backyard with a putting green "for the kids" that I practice on. I'd say my first 10 rounds were scored with a bit of forgiveness, but the last 4 have been strict (with the exception of gimmes that have to be approved by my playing partner. I know that this is heresy to some). I can sleep easy knowing that they were scored mostly appropriately.

As before, I posted this as a primer for other beginners, which I also label myself as. Some of you make it sound like I am claiming that I'm some super talented golfer. I only just started breaking 90, I have never claimed to be great. I also addressed the 3 putt error above. The point of the above post is to show what worked and what didn't over the course of the last several months. You guys that are really good at golf, great, there are probably better threads for you on this site. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Shooting 86 in your 14th round of golf (132 Slope) and a 92 in your 12th round (7200 yards FROM THE TIPS) just from hitting balls off a mat in your backyard is about the same odds of George Costanza marrying Marisa Tomei.  And you also say your putting is horrible and kept you from breaking 80 in this 14th round.  So George Costanza married Marisa Tomei, and then won the Powerball Lottery the next day.  You are obviously a once-a-generation supernatural phenomenon.

Edited by sekrah

1 minute ago, sekrah said:

Shooting 86 in your 14th round of golf (7200 yards FROM THE TIPS) just from hitting balls of a mat in your backyard is about the same odds of George Costanza marrying Marisa Tomei.  You are obviously a once-a-generation supernatural phenomenon.

Correction, not the tips, was the blue tees which is 6600 as I indicated above. Sure, whatever you like to think, don't know either of those people, nor have I claimed to be an excellent golfer.

1 minute ago, sadclevelandsports said:

Correction, not the tips, was the blue tees which is 6600 as I indicated above. Sure, whatever you like to think, don't know either of those people, nor have I claimed to be an excellent golfer.

🤣

Best troll in a while, let's see how many pages we can keep this going.

48 minutes ago, sadclevelandsports said:

First Post:  "Round 12 was played on black which is 7200."

Your later scores are very much above average. 

G410 10.5 Ventus VeloCore Blue 6TX - SIM2 HL 3W Ventus Blue 6S - Titleist 915 2H Red Board S - Mizuno MP 20 Proj X IO 6.0 - Clev 588 Forged Wedges - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

To a degree, I can relate to the OP's golf progress.  My first ever round of golf was with a new full-set of off-the-shelve Pings, shot a 94 from White 6550yd tees.  Soon there after I decided to take up golf, bought 3-books and hit the range to learn.  I don't recall my scores from then, but I was at the range 4-5 days hitting 1000-1200 balls a week, and one day I'd play an executive course.  I did that for a year and decided to take a set of lessons to insure my basics were correct.  Long story, I kept at that regime for nearly 5yrs, and reached and index of 8, nearly 3 years later was a 2.  Though I progressed rather fast, I started late in life.  Guys much younger with natural talent could progress even faster.  The key is, NEVER listen to Naysayers...

I've been an amateur athlete all my adult life, in sports that required me to tackle them with like-minded people.  Golfs attraction was I could tackle it in my normal manner, yet enjoy play with people that were not nearly as focused or dedicated as I was. 

I agree with the OP.  Golf is the greatest game in my life, as I chase shooting my age.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125S
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125S
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125S
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

19 hours ago, sadclevelandsports said:

Did I miscount? I had 42/44, 1 double bogey, the rest were bogeys and 5 pars

Edit: Sorry I figured it out, I counted putts from the fringe as putts.

That doesn't change the weird math; the only way you had more three putts (we'll count the fringe for the sake of this example) than GIR + doubles is if you hit a ton of approach shots to the fringe and then didn't count those as GIRs. I'm skeptical. 

TaylorMade SIM2 9* | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 60g

Cleveland HiBore 15* | Iron Rod

Titleist T-MB (2i) | Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB14 (3-PW) | Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey BV (54*/58*) | Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3

7 hours ago, sekrah said:

We haven't had a good troll thread in a while, it's refreshing to see again.  Who was the kid that was going about to burst onto the PGA tour?

1 hour ago, sekrah said:

Shooting 86 in your 14th round of golf (132 Slope) and a 92 in your 12th round (7200 yards FROM THE TIPS) just from hitting balls off a mat in your backyard is about the same odds of George Costanza marrying Marisa Tomei.  And you also say your putting is horrible and kept you from breaking 80 in this 14th round.  So George Costanza married Marisa Tomei, and then won the Powerball Lottery the next day.  You are obviously a once-a-generation supernatural phenomenon.

1 hour ago, sekrah said:

🤣

Best troll in a while, let's see how many pages we can keep this going.

If you check the OP's threads and posts in the Swing Video section you'll see he has both been working quite a bit on said swing and is also clearly athletic and coordinated enough to have a swing that FAR outpaces what you'd expect from a new player, both in terms of fundamentals and speed (115 CHS with driver I think?). I obviously can't speak to the data/numbers and whether or not they are accurate or a bit fuzzy, but his swing alone is pretty easy to attach a decent round of golf too. 

• Like 2

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage Proto 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti V2 17* Kuro Kage 80XTS 
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX ||  Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS 
Hybrid  
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

My eBay Store

14 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

If you check the OP's threads and posts in the Swing Video section you'll see he has both been working quite a bit on said swing and is also clearly athletic and coordinated enough to have a swing that FAR outpaces what you'd expect from a new player, both in terms of fundamentals and speed (115 CHS with driver I think?). I obviously can't speak to the data/numbers and whether or not they are accurate or a bit fuzzy, but his swing alone is pretty easy to attach a decent round of golf too. 

No doubt that the swing looks better than the scores, which is indicative of an inexperienced golfer. I think the skepticism has to do with him claiming to only have been playing golf for a year. Maybe he played as a kid and then came back to it, but a stone cold beginner? His dad's a golfer who never took his son out to the course? Idk. Pair that with the funky math and you can see why people are skeptical. 

Just anecdotally, I started playing in HS with a group of friends from the basketball team. It was an athletic group of guys and we all eventually made the golf team and became single digit handicaps. But we were teenagers who played a TON and it still took a couple years before we lived in the 80s. The guys who made the quickest progress, no surprise, were those who had played a little bit as kids.

Edited by thejazzmarauder
  • Like 1

TaylorMade SIM2 9* | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 60g

Cleveland HiBore 15* | Iron Rod

Titleist T-MB (2i) | Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB14 (3-PW) | Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey BV (54*/58*) | Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3