How I learned to play okay golf within my first 14 rounds

1 minute ago, Valtiel said:

If you check the OP's threads and posts in the Swing Video section you'll see he has both been working quite a bit on said swing and is also clearly athletic and coordinated enough to have a swing that FAR outpaces what you'd expect from a new player, both in terms of fundamentals and speed (115 CHS with driver I think?). I obviously can't speak to the data/numbers and whether or not they are accurate or a bit fuzzy, but his swing alone is pretty easy to attach a decent round of golf too. 

Swing does look very good. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

16 hours ago, thejazzmarauder said:

No doubt that the swing looks better than the scores, which is indicative of an inexperienced golfer. I think the skepticism has to do with him claiming to only have been playing golf for a year. Maybe he played as a kid and then came back to it, but a stone cold beginner? His dad's a golfer who never took his son out to the course? Idk. Pair that with the funky math and you can see why people are skeptical. 

Just anecdotally, I started playing in HS with a group of friends from the basketball team. It was an athletic group of guys and we all eventually made the golf team and became single digit handicaps. But we were teenagers who played a TON and it still took a couple years before we lived in the 80s. The guys who made the quickest progress, no surprise, were those who had played a little bit as kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzBpGbzvxac

If it helps, this was the oldest video of my swing that I could find from around 1 year ago, and if I could find any older, it would look much worse than that. I've put a lot of work into it since then. My dad is not a golfer, he golfs very occasionally with his friends, enough to own his own set of clubs. He is not a ceo nor is my mother a dietician. If we are splitting hairs, I had been to Top Golf and the nearby range prior to starting, but never true golf. I will admit that I belonged to the cohort of people who looked down on golf prior to getting into it, even arguing that it wasn't a real sport, just a hobby for older folk. 

Welp..definitely thinking posting was a mistake. Was honestly chuffed that I finally broke 90 after months of painstaking effort, was excited enough to post. Also wanted to see if I could add some value to the people who are early on in the sport like myself. No other sport has grabbed my neurosis quite like golf, and having more fun than anything that I've ever had. If the math on the 3 putts seems suspect, can't do much about that. I don't think my math was that off, but it wouldn't be the first time I've made a math mistake. However, I wasn't the one who tallied the raw score, so I can sleep easy knowing it's a real score and my first time breaking 90.

This will likely be my last time posting in this thread (unless someone addresses me specifically). Again, it would have been preferable if this could have been a place for newer golfers to trade ideas; I guess it's become more of a joke, and probably my own doing. Obviously, if anyone has any advice for how to not slip back to the 90's or to even progress, I always appreciate advice.

Edited by sadclevelandsports
  • Like 1

lots of sad skeptics on this forum. 

i’m 33 and started playing last year. i’ve got an athletic background (pro baseball and national level weightlifter)

shot a 99 my first time out on a course and followed it up with a 93 a week later. 

took lots of detours into the 110s and even 120s but closed out last season with an 82, which i’ve matched twice so far this year. 

cap is down to 13.6 currently. 

good athletes will compete no matter what sport you stick them in. 

@sadclevelandsports awesome work and great post. hope you break 80 soon!

• Like 3

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

Took a look at swing.   Setup - too bent over need hips and ankles centered

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLepiR2F026/

takeaway arms work too much away from body so disconnected from pivot and too little depth at top of swing

Due to lack of depth if you made a good transition you would swing way outside in and hit big pulls.

so you drop arms behind you and fire the lower body - this combo gets your arms trailing the pivot significantly and pushes your path way right (heel hits anyone).  Monte’s 68 ballerina.    Blocks and pull hooks.

https://rebelliongolf.com/68_ballerina/

should seek good instruction.  Online, in person or video.  Monte offers online live from anywhere you can set up a phone or tablet for FaceTime/zoom.

Edited by glk
  • Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

50 minutes ago, sadclevelandsports said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzBpGbzvxac

If it helps, this was the oldest video of my swing that I could find from around 1 year ago, and if I could find any older, it would look much worse than that. I've put a lot of work into it since then. My dad is not a golfer, he golfs very occasionally with his friends, enough to own his own set of clubs. He is not a ceo nor is my mother a dietician. If we are splitting hairs, I had been to Top Golf and the nearby range prior to starting, but never true golf. I will admit that I belonged to the cohort of people who looked down on golf prior to getting into it, even arguing that it wasn't a real sport, just a hobby for older folk. 

Welp..definitely thinking posting was a mistake. Was honestly chuffed that I finally broke 90 after months of painstaking effort, was excited enough to post. Also wanted to see if I could add some value to the people who are early on in the sport like myself. No other sport has grabbed my neurosis quite like golf, and having more fun than anything that I've ever had. If the math on the 3 putts seems suspect, can't do much about that. I don't think my math was that off, but it wouldn't be the first time I've made a math mistake. However, I wasn't the one who tallied the raw score, so I can sleep easy knowing it's a real score and my first time breaking 90.

This will likely be my last time posting in this thread. Again, it would have been preferable if this could have been a place for newer golfers to trade ideas; I guess it's become more of a joke, and probably my own doing. Obviously, if anyone has any advice for how to not slip back to the 90's or to even progress, I always appreciate advice.

All good man, don’t take it personally. There have been some crazy posts over the years so the crowd is fairly skeptical of exceptional claims. If that swing you just posted was @ the beginning, then you’re clearly ahead of 99% of people who take up the game; you had a lot of good things to work with on day one.

• Like 2

TaylorMade SIM2 (9*) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 60g

TaylorMade SIM2 Max (3w) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 70g

Titleist T-MB (2i) | Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB14 (3-PW) | Dynamic Gold X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore (54*, 58*) | Dynamic Gold Spinner

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3

3 hours ago, Valtiel said:

If you check the OP's threads and posts in the Swing Video section you'll see he has both been working quite a bit on said swing and is also clearly athletic and coordinated enough to have a swing that FAR outpaces what you'd expect from a new player, both in terms of fundamentals and speed (115 CHS with driver I think?). I obviously can't speak to the data/numbers and whether or not they are accurate or a bit fuzzy, but his swing alone is pretty easy to attach a decent round of golf too. 

Shut up with your facts and knowledge ... it's easier to make fun of and ridicule.

The rest of you may continue to tar and feather now.

• Like 3

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

41 minutes ago, thejazzmarauder said:

All good man, don’t take it personally. There have been some crazy posts over the years so the crowd is fairly skeptical of exceptional claims. If that swing you just posted was @ the beginning, then you’re clearly ahead of 99% of people who take up the game; you had a lot of good things to work with on day one.

Didn't take it personally at all, your assessments have been mostly fair and would certainly make sense from your perspective. That wasn't really directed at you.

If anything, I'm probably mostly just embarrassed that I had to Google that Seinfeld reference from earlier..

I don’t know the OP but I’ve seen a guy when I was like 18 that went low very quickly. He was the marvel of the golf course. These  old guys who were their everyday,  watched over him like he was their son. The only thing he never hit a driver , all irons was breaking 80 within 10 rounds. He was a freak. So I can believe it happens. The time I played a round with him he shot a 78 and he was pissed . 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

2 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

That guy should be scratch by now

I ran into his father last week at a private C-level technology briefing. His son is being recruited by Stanford for a full-ride golf scholarship and a guaranteed fast-track to wrapping up his undergraduate degree and then entry into both the law school and the business school.

Quite an amazing young man.

Just now, JeffreySpicoli said:

I ran into his father last week at a private C-level technology briefing. His son is being recruited by Stanford for a full-ride golf scholarship and a guaranteed fast-track to wrapping up his undergraduate degree and then entry into both the law school and the business school.

I heard from rumors he was offered a male model contract with  Uniqlo as well.

1 minute ago, JeffreySpicoli said:

What, no medical school?

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

OP. If you are in Cleveland I’d go see Todd at Barrington go in Aurora

https://www.instagram.com/toddcasabella/

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Thing is though, OP has admitted to so far being mistaken on:

Playing from the blues not the blacks

including gimmes, and 

Not answered on the 3 off the tee question 

which is COMPLETELY TO BE EXPECTED AND NOT A CRITICISM because it takes way more than 14 rounds to understand the scoring and rules. 

BUT the corollary  (a proposition that follows from (and is often appended to) one already proved) of the above is that there is NO WAY that 86 can have been accurately scored. Just saying. 

I went from an over 18 to a 4.3 in 18 months (just under 30 rounds), and I'm about as unathletic and out of shape as possible. so I dont see why this kid couldn't have broken 90 after a dozen rounds. 

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

2 hours ago, hammersia said:

Thing is though, OP has admitted to so far being mistaken on:

Playing from the blues not the blacks

including gimmes, and 

Not answered on the 3 off the tee question 

which is COMPLETELY TO BE EXPECTED AND NOT A CRITICISM because it takes way more than 14 rounds to understand the scoring and rules. 

BUT the corollary  (a proposition that follows from (and is often appended to) one already proved) of the above is that there is NO WAY that 86 can have been accurately scored. Just saying. 

I'll bite since this is directed towards me. Firstly, if you look at my response about the tips, the quoted bit (which he later edited) refers to my 86 being from the tips. It was not from the tips, only my 12th round was from the tips. The only inconsistency you speak of is the 3 putt count, which is a fair point. The individual stats are to the best of my memory, the only thing that is not is the score since I did not do the scoring. If I made a mistake, as I've made clear here, I'm certainly happy to admit it. I will happily learn from them. That said, If no one on this golf site has ever recorded a stat from memory and made a mistake, I will apologize to the golf lord's and only ever put pictures of recorded values mid-round.

Talking about the score, I agree with you, learning the rules was hard. There are a lot of them. Thankfully, I rely on people who know more about golf to tell me the rules and score for me. I know that my score is a real honest to goodness score since it wasn't scored by me. You've already decided that you are not going to believe it, and frankly, it doesn't really matter because that's not the point of this thread. 

One thing I don't understand is that while golf is not easy, breaking 90 does not seem like some earth shattering achievement. I worked hard for it, but I don't feel like it was extraordinarily difficult, so why all the disdain? Again, there are likely better threads for you to hang out in since it sounds like you're a much better player.

Edited by sadclevelandsports
  • Like 2

This is getting way off topic. Helpful advice is always appreciated, but cynicism and sarcasm definitely dont help those of us who are newer and really putting our best effort towards the game. Will lock this thread and hopefully start something less controversial at a later time. To those that are really looking to give golf advice or at least want to take a friendly jab at my swing, feel free to send a message. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1