i210 or Glide gap wedge?

Joe40

I recently bought a set of i210 irons 4-W.  I’m now thinking I might like to add a 50* wedge (next wedge is a 54/8 Mizuno T20).  Not sure whether to go for the set U wedge or the 50* Glide 3.0?  I have the AWT 2.0 shafts in the irons.

Any thoughts on what, if any, differences I might notice?

• Like 1

Bounce is different by a degree (i210 has more), my hunch is the perimeter weighting is more on the i210. It looks like the elastomer insert area is smaller on the Glide 3.0, at least compared to my Eye2 grind. But I think they'd be more alike than different, at least compared to other wedges.

Edited by nostatic
grammar

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

The glide will give you some options for the bounce you want if the set wedge isn’t where you want it.   

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

2 hours ago, Joe40 said:

I recently bought a set of i210 irons 4-W.  I’m now thinking I might like to add a 50* wedge (next wedge is a 54/8 Mizuno T20).  Not sure whether to go for the set U wedge or the 50* Glide 3.0?  I have the AWT 2.0 shafts in the irons.

Any thoughts on what, if any, differences I might notice?

I have the same iron set up and play a GLIDE 2.0 "gorge" 50*...  I really like this wedge as it has proven to be very versatile...  I play longer greenside bunker shots with it and it is very easy to flight down for those 50 - 80 yard shots from the fairway.  With that said I did pick up an i210 "U wedge" just because it was too good of a deal to pass up.  A guy on the book of faces was selling one that he had only hit at the range a few times for $75...  I probably could have put the $75 to better use such as a night out for beer and wings but it is practically brand new and I can always use another golf club.  I have not yet hit it at the range or on course and don't know when I will...

• Like 1

I went with Glide's for my PW and up as they are more versatile.  If just using the gap wedge for full shots only, I'd go with the set wedge.  If you need to flight shots down, chips etc., I'd go to the Glide.  

Edited by jbandalo

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

I had a similar dilemma as I recently purchased the ZX5 irons 5-PW  (44° PW) and wondered whether to get the set GW or the CBX2 50°. I wanted the set GW but there would've been about a two month wait whereas the CBX2 was available immediately. So I bought the CBX 2 and I'm pretty happy with it. Fills the distance gap in the set very well and seems solid on full swings as well as being versatile around the green. I think I probably would have been happy with either TBH. 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I had both and ended up keeping the glide 3.0.  I would have been fine with the i210 but liked the glide better for opening the face and chipping around the greens as well as for partial shots.  On full shots it made no difference.  Really both are good.  If you use it mostly for full shots I might lean towards the set wedge and if you play different shots and chip if lean towards the glide 3.0.

I had some i210s with a glide 3.0 46*.  While I am a huge fan of Pings wedges, I'd be careful.  For me, the Glide spun off the planet so hitting a full PW into greens was never really what I needed it to be.  That said, I do have a 52* Glide 2.0 stealth that seems to be much better.  Can still spin it, but I am rarely going full throttle.  If you can find the right wedge, they are fantastic and not to be overlooked.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I mainly use my sand wedge for chipping (it’s only 8 degrees of bounce) so this would be nearly always for full shots.  The S18 50/7 just doesn’t seem to go that well on full swings, don’t know if it’s down to the low bounce or relative lack of forgiveness or both?  Feels a bit harsh too next to the i210 irons.

I have the U-wedge in my i210 set and it's one of my favorite clubs.  I agree with the above that it's basically a traditional loft PW and I treat it as such.

• Like 1

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

I love the glide wedges in 56 and 60, but I found that the gap and PW were a bit inconsistent for me.

I checked what the bounce on my set PW and AW would have been closer to, and found it to be way way less than that of the glides in those lofts (which is 12 for a 46 vs 6 or 7 in my set). As such, lower bounce wedges worked better for me in the 46 and 51 slot

this said, the i210s appear to have higher bounces than my irons so it may not be as much of an issue for you

I think you can't go wrong with either.

I like to use the set gap wedge and play with the glide wedges in 54 and 60. I would think the glide 50 would be just fine if I didn't have the set wedge.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

I used to have a set gap wedge but switched to the glide 3.0 50 degree 12 bounce. It’s been a game changer for me. I don’t take full shots with my wedge, mostly 3/4 swings. This is my max 120 club but I love using it around the green. I’m not good at bump and runs with 8/9 iron bc I can never judge the distance roll. I use this club in similar situations and feel I can judge the spin better and get much closer to the hole. I used to use my 56/60 (fancy shots) in these situations but after switching to this 50 have shaved at least 3 strokes off per round. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade RBZ 10.5 (57g)
Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Iron (UST Recoil 780-F4 Stiff)
Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 4-GW (Nippon Modus 120 Tour Stiff)

Titleist Vokey SM7 56* (DG S200)

Miura HB 60* (Nippon Modus 125 Tour Wedge)

Piretti Matera Elite (SuperStroke 2.0)

4 hours ago, Joe40 said:

It’s full shots mainly for me, and I’m not a long hitter, so sounds like the i210 is the way to go.

This.   The Ping U wedges blend seamlessly with their iron sets.  I say this as someone with both a U and a Glide 50.  

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I love the i210 W with the set, added the UW later, but have not really worked with it.  I hit it a few times and did not really like the bounce (hitting it thin)….I have Vokeys, so probably just not used to it……..

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K 70g  45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

As an owner of the club on question, my thoughts are that it’s a great club on full shots, and worlds better than the typical set gap wedge. If you never use a gap wedge for chips and pitches, and aren’t generally happy with “traditional” wedges, it’s a fine choice.

That said, I never carry it for actual play. The combination of high bounce and large sole area make a traditional wedge like the Vokey  grossly better for partial shots and difficult lies.

If you’re happy with a handicap in the teens, the i210. If you are going to put in the time and effort to go beyond that, finding a wedge solution that matches your swing and playing conditions is pretty much a prerequisite IMO.

15F7AD7A-7A48-466C-8106-5D4872AF8D1A.jpeg.dfe5dcb3407c0f08271220647d3dfa63.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

4 hours ago, Golfer_Z said:

I used to have a set gap wedge but switched to the glide 3.0 50 degree 12 bounce. It’s been a game changer for me. I don’t take full shots with my wedge, mostly 3/4 swings.

@Joe40,This is the traditional tie-breaker. If you would use your gap wedge for a lot of full shots, consider going with set UW. If you use it mainly for partials, go with specialty wedges for G, S and L.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I just went through this myself. I have a set of i210 on order, got fitted at club champion. I have a 50° CBX2 I bought this spring. Fitter told me the CBX2 is a more forgiving club and better for full and partial shots. I called back a week later with some regret for not ordering that set wedge and he again said the Cleveland is the better club and I’d be wasting my money. So I’ve been impatiently waiting for my damn irons to show up and have been getting some more time in with the Cleveland and really liking it!

Several PING touring pros have the i210 U wedge in their bag so I don’t think it’s a handicap thing. Stewart Cink recently won the RBC Heritage with the i210 U wedge in the bag.

https://www.golfwrx.com/652271/stewart-cink-witb-2021-april/

PXG 0811X gen1 driver 10.5* Veylix Rome 688 stiff

PXG 0341 gen1 3 wood 15* Veylix Rome 888 stiff

PXG 0317 gen1 3 hybrid 19* Veylix Rome 988 stiff

PXG 0317 gen1 5 hybrid 25* Veylix Rome 988 stiff

Edel Variable Length irons 27*, 34* & 41* Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Edel Signature wedges 49* & 57* Nippon Modus3 115 wedge

Edel EAS 2.0 putter

I went for the i210 wedge in the end.  I figured that we’re maybe not too far away from i210 being discontinued, whereas Glide or equivalents will be around for a while.  It would be a shame if I wanted the i210 in a years time and couldn’t get it.

Edited by Joe40
  • Like 2

I’ve never had a set gap wedge and have always played a glide since getting the i200s. I just ordered an i210 UW to experiment with and compare against the glide 2.0. I don’t have confidence with the glide with a full swing, but I do like it for 3/4 and some green side shots. For me I think the deal breaker will be whether I can fight the i210 UW down on 3/4 shots, or whether it will want to spin and balloon. 

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

For the first time in my life I went with an “iron” in the i210 U-wedge for that gap and it’s been the best decision…stock 120yd club, and no issues with impact.  It’s a very confident club whereas the more wedge-style head you can have small sacrifices there.  Worth noting that I don’t chip with it where’s it’s a full-swing club for me.  To each their own, but my experience & opinion.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G425 Max 5 (16.5) +1/2”

Ping G425 Max 7

Ping G430 #4h

Ping Blueprint-S 5-W

Vokey SM10 50f, 56d, 60d

TM Spider 3x

18 hours ago, Joe40 said:

I went for the i210 wedge in the end.  I figured that we’re maybe not too far away from i210 being discontinued, whereas Glide or equivalents will be around for a while.  It would be a shame if I wanted the i210 in a years time and couldn’t get it.

Good call.  Try both though.  It might be more of a visual preference when it comes to full and partial shots.  Versatility with a gap wedge around the greens?  Set wedge is still versatile for me: square, toe down, slightly open, bunker, using bounce to skid on a tight lie, or chopping down from a sketchy lie... same as previous specialty gap wedges I used.  Maybe a little less spin than a specialty wedge which is what I like from a GW chip and full shot.

I'll take more heel / toe relief and a more rounded leading edge on SW and LW though.  Not trying to open up a gap wedge while keeping the leading edge low, or hack out of deep greenside rough.  I'll just use SW ot LW at that point.

• Like 1

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf