2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How are you Blending your new Titleiest T-series Irons?

Mr_Wolfe

I am seriously thinking about ordering a blended set of Titleist T-series irons. Right now I play PXG Gen 3 irons. I play a "P" in the 4, 5, & 6i and a "T" in the 7, 8, 9, W. I am wondering if it would be crazy to blend 3 clubs in a set. I am thinking of the following:

4 & 5 Irons = T300 (2˚ weak) 22˚ & 25˚

6, 7, & 8 Irons = T200 (standard) 28˚, 31˚, & 35˚

9, PW, GW Irons = T100s (1˚ strong) 39˚, 43˚, 47˚

My handicap ranges from 6-9 and I consider myself an average ball striker. Last year, I played a few rounds with some Adam's blades and I shot right around what I typically do so not a lot of fall-off with my scores. While I didn't shoot in the 70's, my rounds were all between 80-83. With that being said, I wouldn't mind a touch more forgiveness throughout my bag while still maintaining a more blade/mb feel with my short irons.

Would love to hear opinions and I know "you should be fitted" and I don't disagree. I just love to experiment and bang my head against the wall while figuring it all out.

Mr. Wolfe

Well, I’ll throw my idea out there. I haven’t hit them yet, but based on the gapping that worked for me this season here’s what I’m envisioning working. 

T200 3 iron standard (20*)

T100•s 5 iron standard (25*)

T100 6-pw standard (30, 34, 38, 42, 46) 

Assuming I like the look of the T200 long irons this is the same gapping I’m playing now via bending every iron in my bag.

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

With all due respect, your thought process is ridiculous. I don’t understand why you would bend these irons at all? They were literally designed to blend perfectly between sets. Why mess with the offset, bounce, turf interaction etc…

If “you know you should be fitted”, then obviously do it. Get on a launch monitor and work with a professional fitter. Everyone says the same thing for a reason. Stop banging your head against a wall and let the professionals do their job. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, darkman8 said:

With all due respect, your thought process is ridiculous. I don’t understand why you would bend these irons at all? They were literally designed to blend perfectly between sets. Why mess with the offset, bounce, turf interaction etc…

If “you know you should be fitted”, then obviously do it. Get on a launch monitor and work with a professional fitter. Everyone says the same thing for a reason. Stop banging your head against a wall and let the professionals do their job. 

Sometimes bending them is necessary.

Below are two screen shots from the TXG video released today about the new T100 irons. They bent the T200 4 iron 1.5* weak to tweak ball flight and carry. 

AF944FC3-A476-43DE-AE7A-76CAB59FBA0B.jpeg

A0B26FE3-D89C-401E-99AD-B9084118EF1A.jpeg

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

I ordered 4-9 in T100, will likely add a T200 3 iron but I need to hit the long irons to get gapping right and make sure I like the T200 long iron. I have only hit a T100 7i thus far, so for now sticking with my 716 TMB 3 iron. I may also just continue with that 3i. 

SM8 in pitch and gap. 

I'd agree that doing all sorts of bending in the set seems...odd. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

9 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

Sometimes bending them is necessary.

Below are two screen shots from the TXG video released today about the new T100 irons. They bent the T200 4 iron 1.5* weak to tweak ball flight and carry. 

AF944FC3-A476-43DE-AE7A-76CAB59FBA0B.jpeg

A0B26FE3-D89C-401E-99AD-B9084118EF1A.jpeg

Unless you are a tour pro, I don’t think the average golfer needs to be that technical. I’m a plus handicap and if I went to my pro and asked to bend one of my irons a 1/2 degree, he would laugh me out of the shop. Again, I believe you are over thinking it, but do what you want, they are your irons. You asked for opinions though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

I am seriously thinking about ordering a blended set of Titleist T-series irons. Right now I play PXG Gen 3 irons. I play a "P" in the 4, 5, & 6i and a "T" in the 7, 8, 9, W. I am wondering if it would be crazy to blend 3 clubs in a set. I am thinking of the following:

My handicap ranges from 6-9 and I consider myself an average ball striker. Last year, I played a few rounds with some Adam's blades and I shot right around what I typically do so not a lot of fall-off with my scores. While I didn't shoot in the 70's, my rounds were all between 80-83. With that being said, I wouldn't mind a touch more forgiveness throughout my bag while still maintaining a more blade/mb feel with my short irons.

Would love to hear opinions and I know "you should be fitted" and I don't disagree. I just love to experiment and bang my head against the wall while figuring it all out.

Mr. Wolfe

Tsi3- 18 degree hybrid

Tsi3 - 20 degree hybrid - set at 21

T200 - 5/6 i

T100-S - 7/pw

no bending, straight up. 

these clubs are engineered in a certain manner so I am not bending anything to mess with the new sole designs and effect bounce

• Like 1

I've decided to reach out to my local Titleiest fitter. I am going to hit the clubs in the next week or 2. Still though, I will be very surprised if the stock 5i @ 23˚ T300 will blend smoothly with the stock T200 6i @ 28˚. Hopefully I am wrong, but I feel like I would hit that juiced 5i around 200 yards and the T200 6i around 170 yards.

Mr. Wolfe

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 9:41 PM, darkman8 said:

this is far from ridiculous. my guess is either the poster knows his specs from previous fittings, or has a knowledge level about clubs and loft equal to any proffessional fitter. i trust fitters and use them frequently, but that doesn't mean i can make educated decisions based on their knowledge and my experience.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tsecor said:

same for me

what shafts? 

Modus 120. Have been gaming PX LZ 5.5 but fitting cart only had 6.0. Could get ok numbers with it, but the fitter told me to try the modus 120 stiff and I was getting more consistent numbers on all fronts. I find the feel to be slightly more crisp than LZ too, but I get the same smooth kick

Edited by drscott266

On 8/3/2021 at 11:43 AM, Mr_Wolfe said:

Mr. Wolfe

Love the set up idea!! As a fitter myself, it wants to ensure we'd get the loft/lie/length/shaft/swingweight all dialed in, and I'd be ok letting you go with the combo heads that give you the most confidence for each iron!

I have the previous gen T100 with the traditional lofts. I don't see the need to blend the set - the short irons are MB sized and the long irons get progressively bigger/more offset. That's essentially a blended set. Most manufacturers realize decent golfers don't need help hitting 8-PW, but need help with the 4/5/6.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

1 hour ago, rsballer10 said:

I have the previous gen T100 with the traditional lofts. I don't see the need to blend the set - the short irons are MB sized and the long irons get progressively bigger/more offset. That's essentially a blended set. Most manufacturers realize decent golfers don't need help hitting 8-PW, but need help with the 4/5/6.

I agree with that, at least in the sense the T100 certainly have progressiveness built into the set.  I think there is an advantage to be gained for players by blending, especially in the long irons.  I dont try to work those shots from 175-190 at all so the T200 offers a more point and shoot mentality.  Not to mention they launch higher so I get more out of each swing, where 7 iron and shorter I might be looking for a certain half of a green at least.  

1 hour ago, drscott266 said:

I agree with that, at least in the sense the T100 certainly have progressiveness built into the set.  I think there is an advantage to be gained for players by blending, especially in the long irons.  I dont try to work those shots from 175-190 at all so the T200 offers a more point and shoot mentality.  Not to mention they launch higher so I get more out of each swing, where 7 iron and shorter I might be looking for a certain half of a green at least.  

I would agree with that - especially in the 4-5 irons where there is LM data that could verify the need for more launch. It's not uncommon for gap compression in the long irons. But I would say the data would need to drive the decision.

Me personally I hit long irons better than hybrids and fairway woods, so I don't see as much distance compression in long irons as other people.

• Like 1

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

On 8/5/2021 at 1:18 PM, naws-golfer said:

this is far from ridiculous. my guess is either the poster knows his specs from previous fittings, or has a knowledge level about clubs and loft equal to any proffessional fitter. i trust fitters and use them frequently, but that doesn't mean i can make educated decisions based on their knowledge and my experience.

Your clubs, your choice?!?!

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 1:18 PM, naws-golfer said:

I do know my specs and I build clubs as a hobby, but with that being said, I am going to test out these heads first.

Mr. Wolfe

• 1 month later...

Bumping a month-old thread but I've been kicking this around, changing my mind a lot, too. 

I don't need any forgiveness 8-PW. I appreciate a little bit in 6 and 7. And then need more in a 4 and 5. So here's what I'm thinking:

T100S 8-PW (at stock 36*, 40*, 44*; might go with their 48* gap wedge too, or might get a specialty gap wedge at 48*, haven't decided)

T200 6 (at stock 28*) and 7 (bent 1 weak to 32*)

T300 4 (at stock 20*) and 5 (bent 1 weak to 24*)

The 4 iron would be in my bag on courses with par 3s in the 195-205 range, and out/replaced by an extra fairway wood or hybrid otherwise.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

• 4 months later...

I’m a handicap 17-18 player, so I both need that extra help with my long irons, but still prefer a more crispy feel in my short irons. I currently play T300 5-6, T200 7-9, T100 pitch 46. My favourite clubs in the blended set? The T200 7 were you feel the Max Impact Tech, and the wonderful T100 pitching wedge.

• 11 months later...

I was fitted for T100s, and love them - when the new T200 came out I went back to the performance centre and got fitted again, not a huge difference between the 6-7 100s v 200, but the 4 and 5 in the 200 were a bit more consistent and with that the average distance was better. Both felt great, but the difference was definitely noticeable. 
I ordered the 4-7 T200, but the transition may well be 7 or maybe even 6, will see how it goes on the course in the spring…!