2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How do you drain more ‘mid’ range putts?

Looking at my own stats (mid-ish single cap, decent ball striker that can’t get anything to drop it seems)… putting make % aren’t at Tour levels obviously!... but aren’t that bad from short range and 3 putt avoidance from long range is decent…

But looking at the 6-9-12-15 (and even further) range figures… there’s a definite 15% gap all the way through in make %... and from practice hours, I’m pretty sure I can roll the ball end over end consistently… so, from what you have seen with your playing buddies, what gives… not reading enough break? grain, wind effect? putting at the apex? speed-break mismatch? green books? can’t figure out the correct fall line? no visualization of the ball path? mishits that don’t seem like so from 7ft since the ball burns it? fear of missing it? expectations/mindset of 'well that a 10 footer, even the pros don't make half of those'?... 

Tough question... but the differences I see between the low and high handicappers I play with (considering only those that I consider to roll the ball well):

1) Poor reading of the green

2) Cautious play - The mindset that I have two putts for par, unless I jam this by and leave myself a big return putt. 

4 minutes ago, gripandrip said:

Tough question... but the differences I see between the low and high handicappers I play with (considering only those that I consider to roll the ball well):

2) Cautious play - The mindset that I have two putts for par, unless I jam this by and leave myself a big return putt. 

I agree with both of these as well. Personally, I fall into the second one way too often. I’m not nearly as aggressive on the greens as I’d like to be.

If you can get very comfortable over 3 footers, which up until recently I had been struggling with, it should help free you up from longer range and let you be more aggressive and try to make them. 

There was a point so low this season where I felt I had to leave everything inside a foot to guarantee the next one going in. So I putt ultra conservatively and lagged everything. Nothing longer than 5-6 feet went in but I didn’t three putt often. 

As I started to get confidence back in the 3 foot range I could try to make some of the 10-15 foots instead of lagging them. 

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

56 minutes ago, gripandrip said:

47 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

I agree with both of these as well. Personally, I fall into the second one way too often. I’m not nearly as aggressive on the greens as I’d like to be.

If you can get very comfortable over 3 footers, which up until recently I had been struggling with, it should help free you up from longer range and let you be more aggressive and try to make them. 

There was a point so low this season where I felt I had to leave everything inside a foot to guarantee the next one going in. So I putt ultra conservatively and lagged everything. Nothing longer than 5-6 feet went in but I didn’t three putt often. 

As I started to get confidence back in the 3 foot range I could try to make some of the 10-15 foots instead of lagging them. 

Two excellent comments right off the bat - and I'm also guilty of this; nice approach shot to 15ft and unconsciously fall into the 'bogey avoidance' check!... rather than, 'let's try and drop one here' mindset... especially on downhill breaking putts; so cautious with the 15 footer...

But I'm guessing that playing without gimmies does that to you... I've played with a few vanity cap buddies that run that downhill 10 footer, 5 feet by and pick it up immediatly 'can't believe I didn't get that birdie to drop'... euh...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

Two excellent comments right off the bat - and I'm also guilty of this; nice approach shot to 15ft and unconsciously fall into the 'bogey avoidance' check!... rather than, 'let's try and drop one here' mindset... especially on downhill breaking putts; so cautious with the 15 footer...

But I'm guessing that playing without gimmies does that to you... I've played with a few vanity cap buddies that run that downhill 10 footer, 5 feet by and pick it up immediatly 'can't believe I didn't get that birdie to drop'... euh...

Probably one of the bigger factors in my handicap dropping. It's tough to make the transition from putting for par (not to bogey), and putting to birdie. I now try to get all my putts past the hole. That and frequent visits to a short game practice area (putts are shorter) have had a big effect.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

That’s the key. The groups I play with at my club having different in gimmie ranges from one another, but there’s times when someone will try to give me one that I tell them no and I putt it out. I’ve probably missed around 5 of these over the course of the season so far. 

Some people are rather generous and I think that leads to issues down the road as you try to progress and shave the last few points off of your index. 

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

Bettinardi BKS #1

I would say up to 15 footers getting them to the hole.  I know that probably breaks some unwritten or written rule but the ball will never go in if it doesn't make it to the hole.  And once you are confident that nearly all three and four footers are going in doesn't that then give you the confidence to stroke that 15 footer to the hole?

After that I think you would be well served to really analyze where and how you are not-making putts and see if there is a consistency in that you can build upon.  If you are continually leaving the ball below the hole you know what to do.  Same for above or overly long.

I agree with holing everything.  A) them's the rules and B) that sound ingrained in your head of a putt rattling into the cup has to be good right?

Posted this in the putting improvement thread but I'll share here again..

I struggle with distance control but I've improved recently by changing my focus. Try this: On a 20 foot putt, visualize how fast the putt needs to be moving at the half way point, in order to get to the hole, and try to match your stroke to that visualization.   So if it's a 20 foot putt, look 8-12 feet out and think how fast it needs to be moving through there to get to 20.  When you're on the practice green focus on the speed of the putt through this halfway zone and where it finishes. Absorb all that information to use later in your round.

I'm early in this but I'm seeing some very good results with this approach.

4 minutes ago, smashdn said:

I would say up to 15 footers getting them to the hole.

another great tip... I don't have numbers on 15ft per se...

But tour guys leave 7% of their 10footers short while ams do it at a 17% rate... and the key being their average missed length is 1.6ft (1.1ft for uphill / 2.1ft for downhill - over 3% slope)

And interestingly enough - tour pros average missed length on 5footers (1.4ft uphill / 2.4ft downhill) is longer than ams average miss length

(and yes, the pros average miss length is higher on 5footers than it is on 10footers)

putts.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sekrah said:

On a 20 foot putt, visualize how fast the putt needs to be moving at the half way point, in order to get to the hole, and try to match your stroke to that visualization.   So if it's a 20 foot putt, look 8-12 feet out and think how fast it needs to be moving through there to get to 20.

Very good vizualization / focus shift tip - should help 'paint' the way to the cup also - interesting!

Think about what you would define as "a lot of practice" on putting. And then put in like 30% more than that. Honestly...Putting isn't complicated. If you don't have yips, vision problems or a mental block--It's just practice

I watch top junior Ams , guys who are +3 or _4 indexes. These guys will be on the practice green when i tee off---And still be there when i finish.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

2 hours ago, MtlJayMan said:

expectations/mindset of 'well that a 10 footer, even the pros don't make half of those'?... 

Essentially this. Outside of 10ft make percentage drops exponentially. Stress free two putts from 10-30 feet is all I am looking for, when a longer one drops its just a bonus .  The 4-8 footers are the ones that make you moan a bit when you miss, since those are all very makeable for decent putters. I use the line on the ball, so if the roll is pure and it misses, well it was a misread. If it wobbles or goes offline immediately it was a bad stoke. I use the line just as much to analyze my stroke as I do to setup. 

• Like 3

If your stroke is repeating and your speed is consistent, focus on green reading.  Spend more time practicing 10-15 foot putts where the read becomes most important.  A great drill is to read the putt as best you can.  Then take a few dimes or something small and flat.  Then put a few of them down on the green following as closely as possible the read you have.  Stroke the putt and compare where the ball tracks compared to your read and the dimes you put down . Do this consistently and your green reading will improve pretty quickly.

Also Aim Point will give you a new way to examine line and read greens.  It definitely helps me make better decisions on the reads I'm not as certain of.  I don't use it on every putt, but it does help on the tough ones. 

Edited by otto6457
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I watch top junior Ams , guys who are +3 or _4 indexes. These guys will be on the practice green when i tee off---And still be there when i finish.

Wow... but you play 2h30 bogey free rounds right?... looks like I need to practice a lot more!

Good info above!

I struggle with this too. My mental approach is to lag them up and make the next one with ease. Hell, I had a personal best earlier this year and missed twelve (12) birdie putts because I was lagging them just to ensure winning the hole for my team. I wasn't even TRYING to make them, which is INSANE!

My goal now is to imagine a three foot circle, but not one that's centered on the cup. My mental circle is pushed past the cup, so that hopefully the majority of attempts make it all the way to the hole.  

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

3 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

This perfectly describes my putting right now. Driving me insane. 

Edited by Mobert19
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

There’s a girl like this at my club. Played D1 college golf, playing in the US Women’s Am as I type this out. She’s out of college and working now, and doesn’t have the same time to dedicate to it. She’s on the putting green every single night when she’s done work and half the days during the week on her lunch break. 

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

Bettinardi BKS #1

Confidence inside 10ft. Once you can really get a super good feel here and be really consistent with make %, you have a serious confidence from midrange and beyond. Knowing a 2-putt max is pretty certain, it frees you up to accelerate the ball to the hole much more deliberately and much less defensively. 

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Interesting data from the Tour :

5ft : 81% make / 2% left short / uphill miss median proximity : 1.4ft / downhill miss median proximity : 2.4ft

10ft : 42% make / 7% left short / uphill miss median proximity : 1.1ft / downhill miss median proximity : 2.1ft

(by the way : Ams leave 17% of their 10footer short)

uphill/downhill is defined at >3% slope

From this downhill miss median proximity – 10 footers closer than 5 footers… does that mean that they are: just trying to jam it in from closer?... or when faced with downhill 10 footer, are they more conservative than we think and want to minimize risk a tad (at the expense of a lesser make %?)… mix of both? other?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

Interesting data from the Tour :

5ft : 81% make / 2% left short / uphill miss median proximity : 1.4ft / downhill miss median proximity : 2.4ft

10ft : 42% make / 7% left short / uphill miss median proximity : 1.1ft / downhill miss median proximity : 2.1ft

(by the way : Ams leave 17% of their 10footer short)

uphill/downhill is defined at >3% slope

From this downhill miss median proximity – 10 footers closer than 5 footers… does that mean that they are: just trying to jam it in from closer?... or when faced with downhill 10 footer, are they more conservative than we think and want to minimize risk a tad (at the expense of a lesser make %?)… mix of both? other?

I think it’s exactly what you pointed out. Trying to be aggressive from 5 feet and more conscious of three putts from 10 feet. 

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

Bettinardi BKS #1

What’s your green reading process like in round? If you don’t take the time to walk around the putt to identify the fall line etc you will make far less. It doesn’t slow you down if you do it as part of walking to your ball. 

The other thing is really get lined up to your start line and be precise about it regardless of putt length. 

These two things have made the biggest difference for me and got my putt average down significantly. I would love to have time to practice putting but it’s not going to happen. 10 minutes before each round is my lot. 

• Like 1

Putting requires these skills:

- Green Reading

- Aim

- Being able to hit the ball where you aim

- Speed Control/Touch

Work on those skills, particularly the ones you are weakest at.  As those skills improve more putts will start to fall.

Typically with amateurs they tend to under-read the break.  The better putters will hit their putts more firmly and get putts to fall, but they are still doing it at a lower likelihood of making those putts.

And that's really the crux of it...first you need to get the speed to match the line.  Then you need to be able to get the line and speed closer to where it gives you the optimal chance of making the putt.  

RH

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DaveMc82 said:

What’s your green reading process like in round? If you don’t take the time to walk around the putt to identify the fall line etc you will make far less. It doesn’t slow you down if you do it as part of walking to your ball. 

The other thing is really get lined up to your start line and be precise about it regardless of putt length. 

These two things have made the biggest difference for me and got my putt average down significantly. I would love to have time to practice putting but it’s not going to happen. 10 minutes before each round is my lot. 

Great tips here. 

Looking at your putt from the other side of the hole is really great for getting the right perspective on the line, and like Dave says, it's as simple as being conscious of where your ball is as you approach the green. As everyone is walking to their balls, marking them, fixing ball marks or chipping you will always have time to look at your putt from behind the hole. 

I'll add another: look at the terrain around the green for more clues as to whether/how your putt will break. Every green is designed to drain, and that flow of water impacts the grain and such. It can be hard to pick up subtle elevation changes from the putting surface itself, so look at the entire green and surrounding area to get a better idea of the contours. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Lastly if you haven't been fit for a putter or at least rolled some in front of a good teacher, you're missing out. 

Each of the various types of neck and hosel designs fits a particular type of player. Your most comfortable/accurate setup may require an offset neck or a center-shafted design. Your stroke may benefit from a toe-hang putter or a face-balanced design. It's easier to get fit into the right putter than to try to change what seems natural to you. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Gotta give yourself straight-ish putts first of all. 

Second, what I see a lot, especially in scrambles, is that most people are horribly aligned. How some guys actually get the ball remotely close to the line when their putter is literally 30* pointed the other way at address is amazing.

The rest of it is speed control and confidence. Those two go more hand in hand than some think.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

If you can start it on line that's half the battle, then it comes down to speed control and reading the green. I find most people don't read enough break, you have to consider all factors, grain is a particularly important one for me in TX. Feeling the slope with your feet needs to become second nature, I can generally stand over a putt and have a good feel for what it's going to do, if it's more subtle I will take some extra looks, either from behind or the side. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

2 hours ago, me05501 said:

I'll add another: look at the terrain around the green for more clues as to whether/how your putt will break. Every green is designed to drain, and that flow of water impacts the grain and such. It can be hard to pick up subtle elevation changes from the putting surface itself, so look at the entire green and surrounding area to get a better idea of the contours. 

This is good stuff here.  If you don't care I'd like to expand.  (This is part of the reason I started caring about architecture and how the courses are built.)

There are the old maxims, "greens slope towards water" and "slopes away from the mountains."  Those work well enough.  But start also looking for wet spots or greener grass in the surrounds.  Which way is the grain of the grass growing as water running off can lay it down to an extent.  Also, rarely are greens built where water will drain into a bunker (on purpose).  There will be a ridge that extends out from a bunker into the green that sort of splits water away from the center of the bunker and directs it around the outer edges.

Late in the day after lots of play there is a depressed ring or "donut" around the hole from people pulling balls out and futzing with the flagstick.  If you try and "die it" in the hole the little volcano around the hole can repel it if you don't have enough pace.

I messed around for five or so minutes on number 9 the other day at the local course.  (No one was behind me, late afternoon round.)  And missed my first putt.  I dropped a ball and missed the second on the opposite side.  The ball was being affected by either the depression made around the hole or the fact the hole and lip was actually a little higher than the surrounding turf from people pulling the flag out and pulling the liner with it some.  I kept hitting putts and unless I kept a pace where the ball would go a foot or more past the hole it would be turned left or right away from the hole save for the ones I rammed dead straight.

Edited by smashdn