2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: Edel Swing Match System Wedges! See What Members Are Saying!

547474012_EdelGolfMemberTesting.png.100ed250200dfcc0cc4bd08d3d27568e.png.71ed127115079a7c00292bfdad535a01.png

We have 5 members testing out the new Edel Swing Match System and ready to start giving their reviews. Please feel free to ask these members any questions you might have as well, they will be happy to answer. The testers are...

@chamgel2

@cbrwn425

@zdtallan

We also want to give a big THANK YOU to Edel Golf for putting on this testing event.

Lucky winners!  Looking forward to reading this thread once the reviews roll in!

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

First off I'd like to say a huge thanks to GolfWRX and Edel Golf. 

A little background on me, I'm currently a 16 handicap and have really been all over the place the last couple year. From as low as a 10 to as high as 19, inconsistent driver and wedge play has been a constant struggle over this time. 

This spring I replaced my irons and one of my wedges, switching from an old Taylormade RAC to a Mizuno T20 54* and had been considering dropping a wedge since I rarely used my 60*. Well come the message that I won I knew right away what the plan was, upgrade the 60*. I went with the 58* C-grind with C-Taper 130X +1" 2* up. I took about 3 weeks from them time I got the message to when the club arrived. When I finally got the message that it had arrived I knew it was going to be a good day. I raced home after work, cracked the box open and snapped some pics before taking some practice swings in the living room. 

The next weekend I was able to head to the range and do some testing. I warmed up like normal with my other clubs and once I felt good I switched to the Edel. The info card said to hit 5 shots with the heavy weight at each location. I picked a target about 80 yards out and started with the Taylormade 60* as a control, line was decent but distance control wasn't great. I switched to the Edel and the weight was initially in the toe. Hit my five shots and could immediately notice a huge improvement in feel, turf interaction, distance control and dispersion. I don't tend to take much of a divot with wedges and sometimes the clubhead gets hung up in the turf. Right away I could tell that the Edel was gliding over the turf and not digging at all. I was sold after five shots and knew this was a club that would be in the bag for a long time to come. Next I moved the heavy weight to the middle and hit the next five shots. Distance was still consistent, I noticed that dispersion was slightly worse but still good. I was still pleased with the results and would have been happy to leave the weight there but there was one more test to do. Moved the weight to the heel position and hit the next five shots. This is where I noticed the biggest change, distance control and dispersion weren't nearly as good as the first two tests. I knew this wasn't going to work for me. I moved the weight back to the toe and hit some more shots. Right away I saw an improvement and results were back to what I saw on the first test. I decided I would keep the weight at the toe for now. 

Next I moved on to the practice green to do some chipping. This is where the Edel really shined for me, greenside I use a putting stroke when chipping and this is part of why the Taylormade wasn't the best fit for me in the 54* and the 60*. The sole would glide across the turf and I was getting incredibly consistent results. I felt so much more confident right away with the Edel. I took my son with me this day and it's hard to keep the attention of a four year old for too long on the putting green so I couldn't do as much practice as I would have liked so I had to cut this part of my testing a bit short.

I have gone out for two rounds but the first one was rained out after two holes, the second I played this weekend. Performance was still great and I couldn't be happier with it so far. I want to get another round in, planned for this weekend, before writing up more about the on course performance so I can more of a variety of shots. I also plan on spending some more time on the green and testing head to head with the T20. I'll post more about that after the weekend and answer as many questions as I can.

IMG_2127.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_2130.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

Those look really nice.  Cant wait for the reviews and how they feel, spin and ability to hit different shots.  

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

These wedges are crazy cool. Good for you guys.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

First off, huge thank you to GolfWRX and Edel for allowing members to test this wedge.   

Background

A quick little background on me... Im a former college player that was self taught.  While I was playing everyday and my timing was good I was able to maintain a plus handicap.  Once work/life caught up with me I realized I needed a more consistent swing, and started down the rabbit hole of lessons.  That took my game on a downhill spiral of shanks and driver yips, thankfully I was blessed with a good short game that somehow kept my handicap in the single digits.  Fast forward to 2019 I had what was my first of 2 wrist surgeries to repair nerve/cyst issues.  When I came back from that I made the decision to find a top instructor and commit to a swing change.  Enter Dan Carraher aka @iteachgolf ..  Not only did I make the decision to completely rework my swing, but I decided to go all in on Dan's short game method as well, changing my approach to it and switching to a Vokey with the  V grind he uses.   In 2020 I had my 2nd surgery to repair my ulnar nerve, rushed back from the surgery and re-injured myself, and thinking I was done I sold all my clubs..... long story short this February I realized the numbness was gone, so I started hitting balls again, after 2 months it hadn't returned so I decided to pick it back up.   For some reason I decided to give the Ping Glide 3.0's a try and ordered a 58* TS grind.  

The Giveaway

Why I entered the giveaway.... Even though my short game was fine with the Glide, and my playing partners would have told you that club was a strength in my bag, I never had full confidence in it.   For whatever reason the turf interaction just always made me feel like the club was going to get stuck in the ground.   As soon as I saw this giveaway I checked Edel's site to see if they were offering their V grind in this wedge, and was thrilled when they were, so I entered immediately.

The Edel SMS Wedge

As you can probably guess I was ecstatic when I won this giveaway.  Unfortunately the club arrived during one of the weeks when it rained about everyday, so I "patiently" waited for a stretch of good weather to go begin testing....... I first tested the wedge just as it arrived, with the weight in the toe.  I got to the course about an hour before our tee time to hit some hit pitches and chips, and immediately noticed how the ball seemed to jump off the club much faster than I was used to.  It also seemed to come out much lower than my expected windows.   Thinking maybe it was just an off day I switched back to my Glide, but everything was normal again.   

A little disappointed I decided to not use it during the round and wait for a day where I could do some more testing.   Anxious to test the wedge again, I cleared a couple hours the next day to take it to the range/practice green to put it through some testing.   Now, for full disclosure, I NEVER use my 58* from anywhere other than around the green...but I still wanted to see how this club reacted with the weights on full swings, so I started again with the weight in the toe.  I hit 10-15 balls, and again noticed the trajectory was lower than my expected window (much lower than my 54*) and my distance control was very erratic.  Lots of what I would call low missiles, which is great with a driving iron, not so much with a wedge.  Thinking maybe this wedge wouldn't be what I expected, I moved the weight to the heal... thats when the club transformed...First ball came out just as I expected, second ball did the same, again the third... Hit 10 balls or so and switched to the Glide.   After a few shots with it I started rotating the Glide and the SMS Edel to test more, to my surprise Edel was MUCH more consistent, to the point it made me re-consider my strategy of the 58* as only a greenside club.   

It was then time to move onto the greenside testing.  Now remember, when I first tested the Edel the weight was in the toe and I noticed how much faster and lower the ball was coming off the face?   Somehow with the weight in the heal that completely changed.  The ball was coming out in my expected windows and it didn't feel like it was jumping off nearly as quickly as before, allowing me to control my landing spots much easier.  Now, for full disclosure the greens had been top dressed, so I wasn't concerned about spin initially as much as I was hitting my landing areas and mainly the turf interaction between the 2 wedges.   Turf interaction shined with the Edel, regardless of what shot I was playing.  Now, in fairness to the Glide, the Edel V grind is much more similar to the Vokey V grind I had become accustomed to, but for me there wasn't a comparison between the turf interaction of the 2 clubs, the Edel clearly won, and because of that I was more confident in my short game.

Since the course had been top dressed and I couldn't test spin I decided to carry both wedges for a while and test during rounds on good greens before I made the switch.   What I noticed was that on the course since I was comfortable with the turf interaction, I kept pulling the Edel and leaving the Glide in the bag.   As I grew more comfortable with it, there really wasn't one thing I could point to the Glide doing better than the Edel.   Feel wise the Edel blows it away, turf interaction - Edel..  The Edel wins for me with Spin, but I believe that may have to do with my confidence to attack the ball knowing the club won't dig.  Out of the bunkers the V Grind on the Edel shines. ......   The major difference for me though was on full and 3/4 swings.  With the weight in the heal the club now performs to the point I have started hitting more shots with it from the 50-80 yard range.  Ive become more accurate with it than I was the 54* from that range. 

In closing the Edel is firmly in my bag and the Glide has been removed ..I would recommend anyone in search of new wedges to give Edel a shot.  The moveable weights in the SMS wedges really do work as advertised, and their grinds, feel and spin are as good as anything on the market.  

Edel.jpg.37ca676995db63b1c14f6d3e14894f56.jpgEdelface.jpg.d2d27ae5b1b29112c5749dc2c7de78f7.jpgEdelrear.jpg.d2a3a784be657cc772ccd5c35ada8b38.jpgEdelVgrind.jpg.4f2133a59e2b3f50a0b51bc23ffd7a34.jpgEdelwrench.jpg.5f280bc66a5fe51cf94db8d50c3d20db.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TM Mini 300 11.5 Ventus TR Blue 6

Rogue ST LS 3HL Ventus Blue 7

Epic Super Hybrid 20* Ventus HB 8

Srixon ZX MKII Utility 23* Recoil Dart 90

Srixon ZX5 5-6 Steelfiber i95

Srixon ZX7 7-AW Steelfiber i95

Edel SMS 56* V Grind Steelfiber i95

Vokey SM8 60* M grind Steelfiber i95
LAB Mezz 

Pretty cool that one reviewer prefers weight in toe and one in heel!  Weight system clearly works!

• Like 1

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

26 minutes ago, Tupperwolf said:

Pretty cool that one reviewer prefers weight in toe and one in heel!  Weight system clearly works!

I was shocked at how much of a difference it made.  If the wedge had been designed with just the weight in the toe I’d have hated it as it didn’t fit me at all.   Moving to it the heal it’s literally became my favorite wedge I’ve ever played.  

• Like 1

LAB Mezz 

11 minutes ago, chamgel2 said:

I was shocked at how much of a difference it made.  If the wedge had been designed with just the weight in the toe I’d have hated it as it didn’t fit me at all.   Moving to it the heal it’s literally became my favorite wedge I’ve ever played.  

I would agree with that but just the opposite configuration. I went into the testing fully expecting not to see a difference but once I move the weight to the heel it was a completely different club for me like you saw. Had the weight only been in the heel I wouldn’t use this club much if at all. It’s currently my go to for anything within 80 yards. The system works and I’m a complete believer in it now. 

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

26 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Pretty neat reviews and wedges. Seems very similar to my betti hlx 3.0 but with upgraded changeable weights! Are these forged? Is there micromilling in the face?

yes they are forged from carbon steel and there is some kind of milling on the face.

LAB Mezz 

As other testers have stated, a HUGE thank you to both @GolfWRX_Official and Edel Golf for the opportunity to test this wedge.  I recieved the notification that I was selected the morning of the State AM, so I'll blame my excitement there on my poor play 😀.

Background/My Game - I currently play off of a 1.2, which goes anywhere from 0-3 at various parts of the year.  Realistically, I'm a decent ball striker but I know that my game shines 70 yards and in. I hit around 70% of greens in regulation, so I do put a pretty strong emphasis on my ability to scramble and get it close to save par.  I exclusively hit my 60* when inside 70 yards (don't remember the last time I took a full swing with it), regardless of what the shot calls for, I've just learned to hit the shot with one club and take other variables out which has worked pretty well.  That being said, I replace my 60* frequently, and this was a great opportunity to do so.

Edel Wedge - After reviewing the Edel website and offerings, I settled on the 60* C-Grind, which I felt would be closest to my standard Vokey M-Grind with 8* of bounce.  I play Project X 6.5's throughout my wedges and irons, but that was not an option on the Edel order so I went with a Modus 125 wedge shaft which I have heard great things about.  The order arrived in about two weeks.

IMG_4016.jpg.f1bf6aaa51ea686e4a7d719dffd50275.jpgIMG_4017.jpg.bc67e55a43f5c728798888ea9438c053.jpgIMG_4083.jpg.753defea2e92d2f4d97c5075a90038b5.jpgIMG_4084.jpg.2fe17ba81c7dfbc995f44e0502c7151c.jpg

This is a really good looking wedge, like almost too pretty to hit, *almost*.  Upon opening I took a few swings in the basement to guage the weight and feel. Below are side-by-side pictures of the Edel vs. SM8:

IMG_4085.jpg.6bcdfc1786cbeee78e9a83d64ad0eb21.jpgIMG_4086.jpg.7c88e1f38aea071880fffaaed3ca6476.jpg

Visually, it seems to have a bit of a shorter blade and hosel length and a straighter leading edge against my gamer but it sits nice and square and the edge stays just a low to the ground when opened up.

Performance - This wasn't a true apples to apples comparison against my Vokey due to different shafts and also due to the Vokey being worn after almost a full season of play but the Edel really performed.  The back weight came in the toe position, so I left it there to hit some shots based on their recommendation as I have a pretty shallow attack angle.  Working from 50-70 yards, this thing had serious bite (using ProV1's) and had a noticeably lower trajectory than my SM8.  I really felt like I could drive the ball into the green and get a one hop stopper.  Again, this could have been a groove issue but this just isn't the current case with the Vokey and was not in testing as the vokey had a good 3-5 ft. of roll out after.  I could really throw darts with the Edel.  As stated above, once I moved inside 30 yards or so, I really enjoyed being able to open the blade and hit some high spinners.  The leading edge sits really nice against the turf and equally gets through rough without much play.  I don't have anything but positive comments about the performance of this wedge. I won't talk too much about feel because it's so subjective, but it has a very nice feel and sound, soft off the face but not mushy.

Note:  I will say that I have not been able to change the weight configuration because I did not receive a tool and it is not a typical screw (I'm also not much of a tool guy outside of the basics).  After looking through the other reviews above, it seems that these do in fact come with a tool, I just didn't receive one in my shipment.  

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Black 6X

Sim TI Rocket 14* w/ Atmos Black TS 7x

Callaway UW 17* w/ Tensei Pro White 70tx

T100S (4-P) w/ Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 w/ Project X 6.5 Wedge (50/54/58)

***Custom Goodwood G6***

4 hours ago, zdtallan said:

Note:  I will say that I have not been able to change the weight configuration because I did not receive a tool and it is not a typical screw (I'm also not much of a tool guy outside of the basics).  After looking through the other reviews above, it seems that these do in fact come with a tool, I just didn't receive one in my shipment.  

I didn't receive a tool with mine either. I just used an allen key to move it. I don't remember the size off the top of my head.

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

On 8/6/2021 at 2:19 PM, cbrwn425 said:

I didn't receive a tool with mine either. I just used an allen key to move it. I don't remember the size off the top of my head.

Just wanted to point out that I am in fact an idiot. An allen wrench will do the job perfectly fine. I will update accordingly.

• Haha 2

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Black 6X

Sim TI Rocket 14* w/ Atmos Black TS 7x

Callaway UW 17* w/ Tensei Pro White 70tx

T100S (4-P) w/ Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 w/ Project X 6.5 Wedge (50/54/58)

***Custom Goodwood G6***

Aside from shaft, do you see any other reason to go to a professional to get fit? Did you guys know what bounce you should play when you requested it? Sounds like a fairly intuitive process to do on your own overall, but I would be concerned I'd order the incorrect bounce. I would play the F- and M- grinds through Titleist, but I'm not sure how it would translate - maybe C- and T- grinds respectively?

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

I'm going for an Edel putter fitting at their 2nd studio in Seattle next month and I'm going to check out the wedges and order up a 54* at the same time.  Looking forward to it!

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

6 hours ago, thaar said:

Aside from shaft, do you see any other reason to go to a professional to get fit? Did you guys know what bounce you should play when you requested it? Sounds like a fairly intuitive process to do on your own overall, but I would be concerned I'd order the incorrect bounce. I would play the F- and M- grinds through Titleist, but I'm not sure how it would translate - maybe C- and T- grinds respectively?

I think you could still benefit from the fitting room really nail down what grinds work best for your swing. I had to base my decision off the description as I’ve never had a wedge fitting before. I feel like with how well the club is working for me I’ve made the right choice but I would have liked to work with a fitter on that as well. 

• Like 1

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

On 8/11/2021 at 3:45 PM, thaar said:

If you don’t know what bounce works for you I definitely think you could benefit from a fitting.  I already knew I loved the V grind so it was an obvious choice for me.   If there’s not a fitter close I’d reach out to Edel and see which bounces most closely match the Vokey F and M grinds.  

• Like 1

LAB Mezz 

Just a quick update after some more testing. The Edel is super easy to open up and get under the ball, I could see someone with a better short game being able to properly take advantage of this. I did work on this on the practice green and was able to hit some nice flop shots to around 20 yards. The clubhead just glides across the turf, I didn't notice any digging sensation like I would get on my older wedges. I also did some head to head comparison with my T20 that is only a couple months old and I must say this made me love the Edel even more. The Mizuno feels great on full shots but on these short chips green side the Edel really shined in comparison. I noticed a tendency to dig with the Mizuno that made my control inconsistent. 

I have 2 rounds on the Edel now and I've been using it exclusively on shots <80 yards. Other than 2 errant shots that were completely my fault this has been fantastic. Incredibly consistent distance and the ball tends to land soft has very little roll. This was a regular issue with my old wedges where I'd hit the distance but due to how worn they were I wasn't getting enough spin and I'd get excess roll, these concerns are now a thing of the past. Overall I couldn't be happier, they give me a lot of confidence standing over the ball and I know if I put a good strike on the ball then I'll get the results I'm expecting. 

• Like 1

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

On 8/17/2021 at 11:24 AM, cbrwn425 said:

Just a quick update after some more testing. The Edel is super easy to open up and get under the ball, I could see someone with a better short game being able to properly take advantage of this. I did work on this on the practice green and was able to hit some nice flop shots to around 20 yards. The clubhead just glides across the turf, I didn't notice any digging sensation like I would get on my older wedges. I also did some head to head comparison with my T20 that is only a couple months old and I must say this made me love the Edel even more. The Mizuno feels great on full shots but on these short chips green side the Edel really shined in comparison. I noticed a tendency to dig with the Mizuno that made my control inconsistent. 

I have 2 rounds on the Edel now and I've been using it exclusively on shots <80 yards. Other than 2 errant shots that were completely my fault this has been fantastic. Incredibly consistent distance and the ball tends to land soft has very little roll. This was a regular issue with my old wedges where I'd hit the distance but due to how worn they were I wasn't getting enough spin and I'd get excess roll, these concerns are now a thing of the past. Overall I couldn't be happier, they give me a lot of confidence standing over the ball and I know if I put a good strike on the ball then I'll get the results I'm expecting. 

How would you rate the “forgiveness” of these wedges, especially on 3/4 to full swings?

1 hour ago, PGGolf10 said:

How would you rate the “forgiveness” of these wedges, especially on 3/4 to full swings?

I think it’s pretty good. The most I take is 3/4 swings and don’t always have the most consistent strike and I’ve not had any issues hitting relatively close to my target

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

What are your thoughts around the green with these?

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

On 8/27/2021 at 10:03 PM, QuigleyDU said:

I love my 58* V grind around the green.  There isn’t a shot I can’t play with it.  

LAB Mezz 

On 8/27/2021 at 10:03 PM, QuigleyDU said:

Have a 58 V and it’s a dead ringer for a vokey V grind.  Which is why’s I was playing.  54 is on the way.  Played with the 58 yesterday and was very impressed.  Great from sand.  No flaws this far. I have the heavier weight in the heel.   It moved my strike  pattern on full shots to the dead middle.  

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 8/29/2021 at 9:16 AM, bladehunter said:

Have a 58 V and it’s a dead ringer for a vokey V grind.  Which is why’s I was playing.  54 is on the way.  Played with the 58 yesterday and was very impressed.  Great from sand.  No flaws this far. I have the heavier weight in the heel.   It moved my strike  pattern on full shots to the dead middle.  

Same feeling around the greens.  Solid all around.  These wedges are really good.  I have 54/58 in V grind.