Costs of Shipping Clubs (Not Full Bags)

TeeAreNY

The only time I've ever shipped golf clubs is through trade-ins with retailers that provide return shipping labels and such. I've never really shipped clubs directly to another person and recently just sold/shipped an iron set and was absolutely shocked at the cost. I'm not sure if this was normal or if I got absolutely tricked. Looking for the community's insights for the future on if there are better options. 

These were the details of my shipment. 8 piece iron set that weighted around 7.5 pounds. 

1. UPS Ground Residential from NY to NC -$102 (includes shipping type, service options, handling)
  2. "Tracking Number - 15x15x48 Golf" - $31 (Thats what the receipt says and not entirely how it differs from the line items below)
  3. Standard Packing Materials - $31
  4. Standard Packing Service - $12

I didn't have a box handy so I know I could have saved $43 on the Standard Packing costs and maybe even more with that second item listed. 

But, would it really be around $100 to ship golf clubs or is UPS is just a ripoff and I am better suited going elsewhere?

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2 | Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-Way

Taylormade R9 | Nike SQ Dymo | Srixon AD | Ping G10 | Titlelist Vokey SM (54, 60) | Yes! Callie | Ping Hoofer (Early 2000s)

Paying retail with UPS or FedEx is expensive. If you are selling and use PayPal, you can buy a UPS label through them and it is a lot less. Same with eBay.

USPS should be significantly cheaper but I hate dealing with them so I use UPS. 

Is the $102 the total and items 2-4 are breakout costs or are they each a cost? If so I don't understand #2 - you get tracking with any UPS shipment. You can pay extra for requiring a signature and other things.

Also - length is a killer, and total dimensions can push you into "oversize". If you can shorten the box and use something smaller than 15" wide/high it will save costs. Most boxes I've used are about 44"x6"x6" give or take.

Edited by nostatic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | G425 5W Orange 75S - 4H-6H Orange 80S

XL Halo 8-DW CypherS | Glide3 Eye2 55-60 Recoil Proto W | Nova

in rotation: F9 3W Devo 7S - 3H Devo 8S - G425 7H | ER2B

Items 2-4 were additional costs on top of the $102 so it ended up being $170 total. I thought the same thing regarding the tracking on line item #2 and could not distinguish how that was different from 3 and 4. My thought is this was some sort of "standard" cost when inputting "golf" into the system? BS

Maybe I can save $70 and avoid the costs for line items 2-4 if I just packed everything myself, but I guess you are saying that the $100 for standard ground is about normal for going into the store.

Good to know about PayPal and eBay and USPS for the future. Lesson learned I guess...

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2 | Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-Way

Taylormade R9 | Nike SQ Dymo | Srixon AD | Ping G10 | Titlelist Vokey SM (54, 60) | Yes! Callie | Ping Hoofer (Early 2000s)

Last time I sold a set of irons on ebay I had the buyer pay USPS Priority with tracking, it calculates it for them based on how far away they live. California to Texas was $20 and they arrived in 5 days. I keep a few boxes on hand but if I run out you can go to any golf store and ask for a free box to ship with, they'll give you one out of the back or let you pick from what they already put in the recycling bin. I saved some bubble wrap and newspaper and used that on all the heads. If you sell on ebay and you under estimate they will charge the difference to you so figure out box size and weight before you list. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Should be around 15. I’d use shippo as a service. They offer discounts for ups and ups is much more reliable then usps. Additionally to insure an iron set typically is $30 total. Either way the cost was due to a very large box in original post. 

TSi2 8.25 Ventus Black 6TX

Tsi2 16.5 Tensei Raw White 2.0 85TX 

3 Nike Vapor Pro LAGP 105X 

5-PW Miura CB801 X7 

SM8 50.12 at 51 X100

RTX ZipCore 55 and 60 S400

Legacy Goods Powell Prototype

Titleist -ProV1X or Prov1

Shipped a 7 piece iron set across country for $70 using the Parcel Select service from USPS. Took a decent chunk of my profit. The last time I shipped a set of irons it was around $40 but that was some time ago. Things have definitely gone up. I will be taking advantage of the prepaid option in the future because retail is making club-hoeing not so appealing.

Well, this is unfortunate and I feel like an idiot, haha. 

On this topic, does anyone know the best way or about the appropriate price range to ship an empty golf bag if I do end up selling one? Assuming I just use the eBay options via USPS as well? 

10 minutes ago, Kay_Jay said:

On this topic, does anyone know the best way or about the appropriate price range to ship an empty golf bag if I do end up selling one? Assuming I just use the eBay options via USPS as well? 

Make a free account on shippo and put in dimensions. If you don’t have boxes sometimes I ask a local course I am playing at and they’ll give me some boxes. Either way shippo gives you an idea of cost with discounts. I insure everything I ship and worst ever price was shipping a set of miuras 2nd day air with 1200 insurance for 50 bucks. 

TSi2 8.25 Ventus Black 6TX

Tsi2 16.5 Tensei Raw White 2.0 85TX 

3 Nike Vapor Pro LAGP 105X 

5-PW Miura CB801 X7 

SM8 50.12 at 51 X100

RTX ZipCore 55 and 60 S400

Legacy Goods Powell Prototype

Titleist -ProV1X or Prov1

I've been a customer at a UPS store (have a mailbox there) for ~10 years and the markup they put on anything, including a simple large envelope is crazy.  I'm talking if you ship it yourself (large evenlope) it's less than $2 (depending on where its going)...same thing at a UPS store and you're looking at $5-6 I believe.   So do the math.  I saw some lady the other day trying to ship a pretty large package (maybe 30 x 18) and it was way into the 3 figures...yikes.  

Do yourself a favor and use what everyone else is recommending....pack up everything and measure/weigh it beforehand and get pricing.  Then like someone said either Ebay or PayPal have discounts available to ship through them.  Or you can use shippo like someone else said for UPS, or pirateship for USPS.  Can't opine on FedEx, I only ship with them when it's a return.  

31 minutes ago, Kay_Jay said:

Last time I shipped a golf bag, I ended up going through UPS because it was just over 1/2 the cost of USPS.

plan on $45-$90 depending on if it’s a stand bag or Larger bag.  Better to have buyer pay actual shipping cost.

46 minutes ago, Kay_Jay said:

Try Parcel Monkey:

Register Today and Start Saving on Shipping | Parcel Monkey

I shipped a set of shafts to Germany with UPS and Fedex giving me a $220 cost!!

Parcel Monkey (who used UPS) total cost via UPS was $57.  

And yes I have shipped a golf bags and carts with Parcel Monkey and saved alot.

TAYLORMADE SIM2 Driver, 8*, GD Tour AD XC-6X 65g

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9* (10*), Accra TZ6/M5 72g X

TAYLORMADE SIM2 Rocket #3+ FW 13.5*, GD Tour AD XC-7X 75g   OR   SIM2 #3 15*, Ventus Black 7X

TAYLORMADE SIM2 #5 FW 19*, GD Tour AD XC-8X 85g
TAYLORMADE SIM2 RESCUE, 17* (16*) & 22* (21*), Diamana Thump 105g X

PXG GEN4 0311ST, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 56*/10, 60*/7, PX 6.5 Blackout  //  CALLAWAY JAWS MD5 Custom Wedges, 54*(55*)/10S, 60*/08C; PX LS 6.5

TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold // SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper

STEWART GOLF, Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon  //  SkyCaddie SX550

I believe UPS  figures in the weight of the item and distance traveled when calculating shipping. But, UPS will also charge "special handling" on packages which exceed dimensions of 4" x 4" x 48".    "Special handling" can be expensive.

I learned this the hard way:

The fee to ship a set of clubs in a box which met the UPS special handling protocol was about $70 from CA to MN. So, it cost me over $100 to ship ($30 plus $70 special handling fee). 

I shipped a shaft only to NJ from CA, in a box not meeting their special handling rules, and it was $15. 

I shipped a set of clubs from one end of CA to the other, also in a smaller box, and it cost $15. 

So 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."
 "But what about my asthma?"
" I'll give you asthma."

I have shipped full iron sets for $15 priority mail. Add extra insurance, it's pretty cheap. I had a guy stick 2 of the priority mail triangle boxes together to make a driver fit. Worked well. Get those for free from the post office.

<edit> I have managed to gather quite a few club boxes the last 6 months and I've sent out a bunch, too. I shouldn't have this many boxes. 

Edited by lefthack
  • Haha 1

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 wood 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

8 hours ago, Kay_Jay said:

Items 2-4 were additional costs on top of the $102 so it ended up being $170 total. I thought the same thing regarding the tracking on line item #2 and could not distinguish how that was different from 3 and 4. My thought is this was some sort of "standard" cost when inputting "golf" into the system? BS

Maybe I can save $70 and avoid the costs for line items 2-4 if I just packed everything myself, but I guess you are saying that the $100 for standard ground is about normal for going into the store.

Good to know about PayPal and eBay and USPS for the future. Lesson learned I guess...

Don't use a 48*15*15 box to ship a set of irons in. That size box gets you into dimensional shipping costs where the size of the box gets charged as a much heavier weight regardless of the weight of the package. Your actual package was 8 pounds but per dimensional weighting it appears you were charged for a package weighing 78 pounds. Always use the smallest shipping box possible. At times the size of the package is more the driver of the shipping charge that the actual weight. Also to be clear UPS stores are not owned by UPS. They can charge pretty much what they want. 

https://shippingeasy.com/dimensional-weight-shipping-calculator/

Capture.PNG.bb9f919eef09aa12571da97b91c1d1fb.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Kay_Jay said:

I just sold a bag on ebay and purchased a fedex label from ebay.  The box was 36 x 16 x 12 and the package 10 pounds. I shipped from PA to MI. The cost was $33.38 for Fedex Home Delivery. Of that about $6 was for insurance because it was insured for over $500.  

I shipped that same bag on my discounted fedex account for $50 from FL to PA in May.  

You can probably do better using USPS but I avoid USPS since I've received shipments in 3 days or 30 days. I'd rather pay the little extra and know at best it might get delayed a day or two by covid related issues.

PXG Gen4 0811 X 9
PXG Gen4 0341 X 5

Ping G410 19 Hybrid

PXG Gen4 4 Hybrid

Titleist T400 5-49W
Titleist Vokey SM7 56
Ping TR Nome

12 hours ago, grm24 said:

Don't use a 48*15*15 box to ship a set of irons in. That size box gets you into dimensional shipping costs where the size of the box gets charged as a much heavier weight regardless of the weight of the package. Your actual package was 8 pounds but per dimensional weighting it appears you were charged for a package weighing 78 pounds. Always use the smallest shipping box possible. At times the size of the package is more the driver of the shipping charge that the actual weight. Also to be clear UPS stores are not owned by UPS. They can charge pretty much what they want. 

https://shippingeasy.com/dimensional-weight-shipping-calculator/

Capture.PNG.bb9f919eef09aa12571da97b91c1d1fb.PNG

Bingo, the box is what bamboozled him

1) Use the smallest box possible

2) Use www.goshippo.com to get highly discounted rates

Iron set is sub $20 via ups ground to most places.

• Sad 1

Ouch. As others mentioned you just need to pack yourself and use smallest box possible. Never use their packaging or "services." Cut down to size as needed. Typically iron sets FedEx Ground cross-country and USPS Priority for single clubs/wedge sets both ~$20. Stand bag USPS Parcel post ~$40. Add shipping cost into price or charge buyer extra. Snag a few boxes from a golf store recycle bin.