Driver tips needed

Hi everyone, 

My driver is carrying about the same distance as my 3 wood on average but is way less consistent, so I rarely use it. 

I have the Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 10.5° with HZRDUS Smoke yellow 60 6.5 shaft.

My 3 wood is a Taylormade M6 14° with HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5 shaft.

I was wondering if I should look to replace my driver with the Taylormade SIM 1 or 2 as it has twist face and the speed foam which my 3 wood also has. 

Has anyone experienced anything similar or knows a thing or two? 

Any tips or discussion would be highly appreciated, It kinda sucks to lose out on those extra carry yards with the driver. 

Best 

Just now, Olafurl said:

Hi everyone, 

My driver is carrying about the same distance as my 3 wood on average but is way less consistent, so I rarely use it. 

I was wondering if I should look to replace my driver with the Taylormade SIM 1 or 2 as it has twist face and the speed foam which my 3 wood also has. 

Any tips or discussion would be highly appreciated, It kinda sucks to lose out on those extra carry yards with the driver. 

Best 

Stock driver lengths tend to be too long for most ams. Lots of distance can be lost and lots of inconsistencies added due to the inability to get good consistent center face contact.   So before spending any money, go through this tutorial to help you get the most out of your current driver.  Doesn't take much.  Some foot powder spray, some lead tape, and a bucket of balls at the range.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Stock driver lengths tend to be too long for most ams. Lots of distance can be lost and lots of inconsistencies added due to the inability to get good consistent center face contact.   So before spending any money, go through this tutorial to help you get the most out of your current driver.  Doesn't take much.  Some foot powder spray, some lead tape, and a bucket of balls at the range.

Hi Stuart, thank you for your response and suggestion, I will try it out tonight. 

After a month of practicing with a long driver, I decided that my ability to hit the sweet spot consistently wasn't going to get any better, so I cut it down to the same length as my other woods.  I added 17g of lead tape to bring the Swing Weight back up.

Edited by ShortGolfer

20 hours ago, ShortGolfer said:

After a month of practicing with a long driver, I decided that my ability to hit the sweet spot consistently wasn't going to get any better, so I cut it down to the same length as my other woods.  I added 17g of lead tape to bring the Swing Weight back up.

Did it increase distance?

You don’t say what your swing speed is or how far you’re carry and full distance is with these clubs, but…

Picking a random alternative based on face design, foam content, etc., is just jumping down the rabbit hole of cost and frustration with both feet. There are potential differences between club configurations, but only by finding a professional fitter with an adequate range of equipment can you have any hope of finding a workable solution.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

6 minutes ago, Jeff58 said:

You don’t say what your swing speed is or how far you’re carry and full distance is with these clubs, but…

Picking a random alternative based on face design, foam content, etc., is just jumping down the rabbit hole of cost and frustration with both feet. There are potential differences between club configurations, but only by finding a professional fitter with an adequate range of equipment can you have any hope of finding a workable solution.

Hi Jeff, 

I just didn't think that my distance was an important factor. 

I carry my 3 wood on average around 265 yards and my driver maybe 270 when I average the good shots.

My swing speed is 117-120 mph with the average little above 117 mph according to a couple trackman sessions. 

The plan was to go to a professional fitter, I just wanted to see if my post could increase my knowledge on the matter or suggest some interesting solutions beforehand. 

17 minutes ago, Olafurl said:

It really isn't in this case - unless you wanted to go into more details of your particular club configuration and discussions on why it might not be an ideal fit.  But even that would require detailed Launch monitor club and ball data from your driver (not just distances) to help determine why you're loosing distance with it.  Then it's even harder to determine how the club specs might be contributing to the ball flight results - or even how to potentially fix them.   So even that would be a lot of guess work no matter how much detailed data you could provide.   it's really going to come down to a lot of trial and error testings - whether you do it by yourself or with a fitter.

Just another factor to consider, but that HZRDUS Yellow is counter balanced.  I can't stand it and play the Black in all my clubs.  I'm not suggesting you go out and buy a black for your driver, but it is worth testing or getting fit for if the feel of the counter balanced shaft is being a hindrance to your club delivery/impact.

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

22 hours ago, Olafurl said:

Hi everyone, 

Best 

Hi,

I'm a single digit but suffer from the same issue. You may have an overly steep swing like me. That works fine with a 3w off the tee (and your 3w is a stronger lofted 3w, I have the same but M5 14 degree Rocket head). I have several rounds this year where i hit 80-90% fw with 3w and maybe average 245yd (210-265 range). I never average over 50% with driver but can hit it up to 280...but that may be directly into the woods. I have very good heel/toe dispersion, but even with consistent tee height, my high/low face dispersion is huge. 

I just cut an inch off the driver, and added weight, yesterday. Let's see how it works out.

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Mizuno JPX919HMP 5i-9i,PW

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 56.12D (Bent to 54)

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7

5 hours ago, Olafurl said:

Hi Jeff, 

I carry my 3 wood on average around 265 yards and my driver maybe 270 when I average the good shots.

My swing speed is 117-120 mph with the average little above 117 mph according to a couple trackman sessions. 

The plan was to go to a professional fitter, I just wanted to see if my post could increase my knowledge on the matter or suggest some interesting solutions beforehand. 

The more common scenario is a slower swing speed player, where the driver isn’t providing adequate height and spin to outperform the 3 wood, whose typical configuration provides more of both.

You’re just the reverse of that. At 117 mph, 10.5 degrees of loft is pretty much surely (since I can’t see your swing) launching too high and spinning way too much. You need to be closer to 8 degrees more than likely.

If that’s the case, your initial thinking of a SIM or an M6 driver with the appropriate shaft may indeed give you a consistency of feel and balance. You definitely need a fitting at that swing speed though…

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

3 hours ago, Jeff58 said:

You’re just the reverse of that. At 117 mph, 10.5 degrees of loft is pretty much surely (since I can’t see your swing) launching too high and spinning way too much. You need to be closer to 8 degrees more than likely.

If he is spinning too much (which is certainly plausible), it's not the static loft that's the problem.  It's the face impact location or the dynamic loft he's delivering into impact that's the true problem and changing heads is unlikely fix either of those problems.

Edited by Stuart_G

20 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

If he is spinning too much (which is certainly plausible), it's not the static loft that's the problem.  It's the face impact location or the dynamic loft he's delivering into impact that's the true problem and changing heads is unlikely fix either of those problems.

Maybe not fix, but could help. I understand it’s more of a bandaid. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

8 hours ago, cwilk said:

Maybe not fix, but could help. I understand it’s more of a bandaid. 

If the problem is face impact, then it's not going to help.  It might improve things a little bit IF the problem is dynamic loft - but so might tweaking the loft lower on his current head or several other much less expensive options so I'd consider a new head a last resort.

Edited by Stuart_G