Rogue to Epic Speed - Shaft Help

Drofdarb23

I've been playing a Rogue driver with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0 S 65G shaft for the last few years but just won a Epic Speed driver with Project X HZRDUS Smoke IM10 60G (S) shaft in a drawing. Just holding the new club in my hand, it feels a little lighter than the Rogue and slightly stiffer so I started doing some reading..

From what I understand based on the reading I did on the Callaway shafts here: the shafts are similar in that they're both stiff, mid launch, mid spin and trajectory/flight code? The differences are that the new shaft is a little lighter, more firm through the butt and middle, and it's a Long Drive shaft? 

With my Rogue, I have a tendency to get a little quick at the top of my backswing (perhaps the shaft is too light?) so I'm a little concerned about the new club/shaft being even lighter. Unfortunately, I dont have access to a club fitter right now so I can't go try a bunch of different shafts in the Epic Speed driver. 

Maybe I'm overthinking all of this but I always read and hear "get fitted for your clubs"... 

Should I just take the new club/shaft out and hit it? Maybe screw around and throw the Evenflow shaft in the Epic Speed? Look at getting something more similar to the Evenflow on Callaway Preowned site? Is a long drive shaft really the stock option for stiff shafts on the Epic Speed?? I'm open to any/all comments/suggestions or whatever. 

Thanks!

56 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Yes! To everything.....try it, try evenflow in Speed ......are you up to trying a different profile? The Speed head is amazing......especially when paired with the RIGHT shaft

What do you mean by a different profile? 

I'll definitely try both shafts I have and am willing to pick something up on Callaway Preowned/ebay or wherever - only "problem" is that there are soooo many options. I guess I'm just trying to shortcut the process a little bit, see what other people's experiences have been or maybe get a couple of recommendations from people who know more than me.  

14 minutes ago, Drofdarb23 said:

What do you mean by a different profile? 

I'll definitely try both shafts I have and am willing to pick something up on Callaway Preowned/ebay or wherever - only "problem" is that there are soooo many options. I guess I'm just trying to shortcut the process a little bit, see what other people's experiences have been or maybe get a couple of recommendations from people who know more than me.  

Yeah, I'm meaning a different profile like a white (low/low) or a smoother Blue ......I ended up in a Tensei Blue AV and just fit my swing perfectly.......got lucky.....yes,  sometimes you know , sometimes you fall into.....I didn't have success with stock IM/10 but doesn't mean it won't work for you.....

23 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Yeah, I'm meaning a different profile like a white (low/low) or a smoother Blue ......I ended up in a Tensei Blue AV and just fit my swing perfectly.......got lucky.....yes,  sometimes you know , sometimes you fall into.....I didn't have success with stock IM/10 but doesn't mean it won't work for you.....

I never thought about the shaft color actually meaning something.. Is there any type of guide, “rule of thumb” or maybe even an old post that explains which colors are what profile/what characteristics they have? You just opened up a whole new shaft wormhole that I didn’t know existed.. but it definitely makes sense. 

Appreciate your response! 

52 minutes ago, Drofdarb23 said:

I never thought about the shaft color actually meaning something.. Is there any type of guide, “rule of thumb” or maybe even an old post that explains which colors are what profile/what characteristics they have? You just opened up a whole new shaft wormhole that I didn’t know existed.. but it definitely makes sense. 

Appreciate your response! 

In simpleness.....red = high launch;  blue = mid and white is low.....Mitsubishi didn't invent this but perfected it.....the new Ventus Velacore lineup differs in that they're still flighted but Red isn't just high launch and loose .....

Making a great presence on the Tours for a non mid or low launch listed shaft...... 

Speed is fairly neutral bias maybe a tad draw but not as strong of bias as MAX .....

The sound/feel component is just dreamy in my eyes......size and shape too. 

Keep us posted and enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwooshLT said:

In simpleness.....red = high launch;  blue = mid and white is low.....Mitsubishi didn't invent this but perfected it.....

Does this only apply to Mitsubishi shafts or other manufacturers too like Project X? If so, I’m curious what the black, smoke & yellow generally mean/signify?  

10 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Its not a long drive shaft lol. Thats the Project X LD

The only reason I thought it was a long drive shaft is because of what’s shown in their shaft offerings guide and the “L” thats listed next the IM10 in the guide.. It wouldn’t make any sense to me to put a long drive shaft as a stock option which is why I was curious.  

Thanks for the feedback! 

1 hour ago, Drofdarb23 said:

Does this only apply to Mitsubishi shafts or other manufacturers too like Project X? If so, I’m curious what the black, smoke & yellow generally mean/signify?  

Yellow is slightly counterbalanced;  black is lowest launch n spin......Smoke I believe replaced evenflow line for smoothness iirc......I could be wrong on that 

12 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

Yellow is slightly counterbalanced;  black is lowest launch n spin......Smoke I believe replaced evenflow line for smoothness iirc......I could be wrong on that 

Hzrdus Smoke, if I have it right is just a smoother shaft compared to the original Hzrdus line. There is still an even flow line but it’s called even flow riptide. Based on what I’ve read it’s a bit of a combination between the original black and blue. There’s also an even flow riptide CB counter balanced option. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 Project X Even Flow Riptide 60s

Callaway Mavrik 4W 16.5* Project X Even Flow Riptide 70s

Callaway Super Hybrid 20*  Tensei Pro Orange 80s

Titleist 818H1 23* - Fuji Atmos Black TS 9s

Callaway Mavrik Pro 6- AW TT Elevate  105s

Vokey SM8 52.08F @53 S200

Vokey SM7 58.12D S200

2021 Ping Kushin 4

Srixon Z-Star/Z Star XV

I'm hoping to make it to the range this evening to at least hit the IM10 so I'll report back on that later.

In the meantime, I've been doing some reading and have more questions.. as it relates to shafts, are these "rules" generally true?

Flex - too stiff will cause shots to launch too low with too little spin. too weak and shots may fly too high, spin too much and have a wider dispersion pattern?

Weight - the heavier the shaft, the lower the ball flight and less spin. too light of a shaft and the ball can fly too high or spin too much?

Kickpoint - A higher kickpoint generally results in lower flight and lower kickpoint results in a higheer ball flight? 

Torque - lower torque shaft's tend to have a more boardy or stiff feel whereas higher torque shafts tend to have a more whippy feel? However, each manufacturer measure's torque differently so it's hard to compare across brands?

For anyone familiar with the club fitting process.. Say someone is hitting HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 S (68g) but they want something that feels a little heavier. Do you go straight to the Smoke Black 80 S at 80g or would you try the Smoke Black 70 X at 70g? 

Now say the golfer likes the weight/feel of the Smoke Black 70 S (68g) but you're switching to Tensei CK Pro White.. do you go with the 60 TX at 68g to match the weight or do you go to the 70S at 73g to keep in line with the stiff flex?

On 8/5/2021 at 7:46 AM, rkillian said:

Hzrdus Smoke, if I have it right is just a smoother shaft compared to the original Hzrdus line. There is still an even flow line but it’s called even flow riptide. Based on what I’ve read it’s a bit of a combination between the original black and blue. There’s also an even flow riptide CB counter balanced option. 

This is what I read about HZDRUS Smoke as well 

21 minutes ago, Drofdarb23 said:

I'm hoping to make it to the range this evening to at least hit the IM10 so I'll report back on that later.

In the meantime, I've been doing some reading and have more questions.. as it relates to shafts, are these "rules" generally true?

Flex - too stiff will cause shots to launch too low with too little spin. too weak and shots may fly too high, spin too much and have a wider dispersion pattern?

Weight - the heavier the shaft, the lower the ball flight and less spin. too light of a shaft and the ball can fly too high or spin too much?

Kickpoint - A higher kickpoint generally results in lower flight and lower kickpoint results in a higheer ball flight? 

Torque - lower torque shaft's tend to have a more boardy or stiff feel whereas higher torque shafts tend to have a more whippy feel? However, each manufacturer measure's torque differently so it's hard to compare across brands?

For anyone familiar with the club fitting process.. Say someone is hitting HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 S (68g) but they want something that feels a little heavier. Do you go straight to the Smoke Black 80 S at 80g or would you try the Smoke Black 70 X at 70g? 

Now say the golfer likes the weight/feel of the Smoke Black 70 S (68g) but you're switching to Tensei CK Pro White.. do you go with the 60 TX at 68g to match the weight or do you go to the 70S at 73g to keep in line with the stiff flex?

You are asking a lot of great questions and I would say everything you are saying about flex, weight, kickpoint, and torques are normally true, but everyone's swing is different and you may still just get different results. Some shafts will be what I call more stiff, while some x-stiff may seem more like a stiff. It also depends on the shaft makeup. Graphite Design does a great chart of breaking the shaft into 3 points and talking about the flexes of it. 

For me it was all trial and error. Alot of going to Golf Galaxy and hitting different shafts, also research, buying & selling, and finally finding something I enjoy on the course. Try out the club tonight and let us know the results of what you think, and I am sure someone will give you a good start of what to try.

Edited by Cellis
  • Like 1

Sim 2 8* (Fujikura Blue 6x) - Driver

Sim 2 13.5* (Fujikura Red 7x) - 3 Wood

SIM UDI (KBS Proto Hybrid 85 S) - 2 Iron

P770 (Nippon Modus 105 S) - 4-AW

SM8 (S200) - 55*, 60*

Phantom 5.5

Didnt make it to the range on Friday but had a tee time yesterday morning.. Warned up with the IM10 and it didn't go very well. Ball flight was pretty low and I was hitting it pretty far left. Threw the evenflow shaft in and it was a little better but not nearly enough to want to put it in play for the day so I didnt for the 18 holes (and ended up shooting personal best 75!!).

For whatever reason I tend to hit new clubs AWFUL the first time out - possibly overthinking, setting up wrong or just expecting it to produce a life changing experience instead of treating it and swinging it like a normal golf club.. 

Anyway, I decided to get a small bucket after the round to try the driver and shafts again. Wind was into and off the left and may have had some effect on the performance/ball flight.

The IM10 was better this time but ballflight was a little higher this time but still missing left more than I'd like. The ball also seemed to die/not go the same distance I'm used to seeing on that range. Seemed like I was hitting it closer to the heel (not sure the shaft has anything to do with that but figured I'd mention it). 

The evenflow was a higher ball flight and straighter than the IM10 but was still missing left more than I should/would like. Distance also wasn't quite what I'm used to seeing on that range so maybe that had more to do with the conditions than the club/driver head?

Overall I'd say the IM10 felt a little too light and was hard to load at the top of the swing. The seeming light(er) weight (or maybe its the stiffness?) made me feel like I was swiping at the ball?

The evenflow felt better from a weight perspective and was easier to load the club at the top of the back swing but maybe just a hair too whippy?

I'd be interested to hear others' initial thoughts but I think I definitely need to go hit them again with a different (or no) wind. My initial thoughts for possible shafts/lines are that maybe the HZDRUS line could be too stiff or too much low/low for my swing? For Mitsubishi probably something in the Blue line?

Let’s try a different question.

Anyone know how the Tensei Blue AV compares to the evenflow shafts? Say Blue AV 65 S vs evenflow blue 65 S(6.0)? Stiffer? More whippey? Pretty similar? 

I’m guess interested in trying AV Blue but am not really sure where to start/how it compares to the evenflow line. I think I’m looking for something slightly stiffer/less whipping than my evenflow but not quite as stiff as the IM60 but closer to the weight of the evenflow if that makes sense?