New Fairway woods

8 minutes ago, PhillipG78 said:

Thats about the same age as my Golden Bears, Im ideally looking for something about 5-6 years old take advantage of newer tech, any thoughts on fairway woods from about 15,16'17?

I would suggest looking at the Tour Edge options I mentioned earlier.  They're as updated as you can get.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

2 hours ago, PhillipG78 said:

Is V steel made by Tour Edge?

No Taylor Made about 20 years ago now

• Like 1

Driver--- TM M-6 Evenflow 65gm R set to 9.5

3W  TM V-Steel 15* bent to 14 NVS green Aldila 65gr R

7W TM V-steel 21* Ust Pro Force Gold 65 R

Irons 5 thru PW 2016 TM TP CBs--- Steelfiber 95 R shafts

GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* Stock steel R wedge shaft

SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind -- Modified grind to 10* KBS Wedge shaft

Putter Rusty Scotty Sante Fe Fluted Bullseye shaft--- No it aint going no where

Bag old school Burton Mini Staff non demonational no advertising

14 minutes ago, PhillipG78 said:

Has anyone here tired the Maltby Fairway woods> They're pretty in expensive and look like decent tech

Maltby makes some great stuff-- The main trick on fairways is getting the shaft matched up to your swing.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

According to 2nd Swing's info, 2001 was the Year of the V Steel.

They come in a 15* 3w, 18* 5w, 21* 7w.  I'm not sure if there are higher lofts than that.  There's also a 13* Tour Spoon.

I forgot, there's also a 16.5* 4w

Also a 24* 9w.  Utilize fairways better than hybrids.  The dependable old guy club in the bag from 155 - 165 depending on how I grip it. 

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

On 8/10/2021 at 3:59 AM, Fellaheen51 said:

Also a 24* 9w.  Utilize fairways better than hybrids.  The dependable old guy club in the bag from 155 - 165 depending on how I grip it. 

I have a 23* 7W in my bag but i also have a 23* 3 iron so not sure about having both. I've considered going 4w and 7w. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2021 at 3:27 PM, NRJyzr said:

According to 2nd Swing's info, 2001 was the Year of the V Steel.

They come in a 15* 3w, 18* 5w, 21* 7w.  I'm not sure if there are higher lofts than that.  There's also a 13* Tour Spoon.

I forgot, there's also a 16.5* 4w

9 wood @24*

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 3:22 PM, PhillipG78 said:

I have a 23* 7W in my bag but i also have a 23* 3 iron so not sure about having both. I've considered going 4w and 7w. 

Well you can hit different shots between the 7W and 3I--- Good example I can not hit a stinger with a 7 wood but I can with a 3 iron which comes in handy down here with the ocean winds. Also different manufacturers define different lofts between differnet FWs--- Good example V-Steel the 7W is the before mentioned 21*. Some of the older Adams and clones call a 7W at 24*. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Yep, exactly. I carry a 23* hybrid and a nearly 23* hollow body 4i in my modern bag, and they perform different tricks. Sometimes I take the hybrid out for a 24* 9W (V-steel, of course), which is like a long range pitching wedge.

I also carry a 21* V-steel 7W, and we're getting along very nicely together now after a brief falling out😊

Ha!  Can make my implements perform tricks also.  Often when I don't want them to.  

A 23* hybrid, a 23* iron, 24* fairway (you're right, does fly high)..........

i-like-your-style-dude.jpg.b2805ff2416b121c24f9ed6be33bcc39.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

17 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Ha!  Can make my implements perform tricks also.  Often when I don't want them to.  

A 23* hybrid, a 23* iron, 24* fairway (you're right, does fly high)..........

i-like-your-style-dude.jpg.b2805ff2416b121c24f9ed6be33bcc39.jpg

It's the hardest spot in the bag for me. I only carry three wedges (well, two because I'm not sure a 47* PW counts as a wedge), so I've room at the top.

roomatthetop.jpeg.e74809bdf5f245d082ea01693b59030b.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Hey that's my line!  😏

4 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I also carry a 21* V-steel 7W, and we're getting along very nicely together now after a brief falling out😊

Found that to be the case as well with my various implements.  Never content to stay in one place, I will see how the new to me toys perform over the next few weeks.

• Like 3

Golf is not a game of perfect -- Dr. Bob Rotella

TM R 7 425 10.5°                         Spalding EZ X 10.5°

Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5°/20°     Cally BB War bird 4W

Cobra Baffler DWS 23°                PowerBilt Citation 5W

TM Burner Plus 5-AW                   Stan Thompson Ginty

Cleveland CBX 56°                       Precision Dictator II BeCu 5-SW

Rossa Tourismo 3                         RAM Zebra

17 minutes ago, scomac2002 said:

Hey that's my line!  😏

Found that to be the case as well with my various implements.  Never content to stay in one place, I will see how the new to me toys perform over the next few weeks.

Always important to show them who's the boss by showing them a new rival👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Always important to show them who's the boss by showing them a new rival👍

I have a Cobra 7W and TM 5h that were absolutely dependable until they weren't.  Seems to be a more recent phenomenon.  Sent them to the bench in favour of a couple of experienced, but new to me replacements.  We'll see how it goes...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, scomac2002 said:

I have a Cobra 7W and TM 5h that were absolutely dependable until they weren't.  Seems to be a more recent phenomenon.  Sent them to the bench in favour of a couple of experienced, but new to me replacements.  We'll see how it goes...

Funny how that goes, isn't it? I have been playing in my modern bag a TM R9 4w for over 10 years, but recently I thought I had finally found a replacement. Nope, the R9 is going back in.

When it comes to fairway woods, I know better than to trade them in an the earliest opportunity. If you have one you like but have fallen out with, always keep it around because you never know when the capricious little devil will change its mind.

Persimmon drivers are the same. I can understand why the pros in the days of persimmon would hang on to their driver for so long, even when it became more epoxy than wood! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Funny how that goes, isn't it? I have been playing in my modern bag a TM R9 4w for over 10 years, but recently I thought I had finally found a replacement. Nope, the R9 is going back in.

I had a Nike SQ2 4W for a number of years.  That thing was money.  Easy to understand why Tiger played his 5W for so long.  The matching 7W wasn't nearly as good of a club for me.  I even gave them away to my son in a fit of whatever for about 4 years and then they came back home when he was ready to upgrade.  I played it again without skipping a beat for another year and then sold the set in a club swap as by this time the Cobra mentioned above was a fixture.

Sorry for derailing the thread.  Back to the original programming. 🤐

• Like 2

12 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Yep, exactly. I carry a 23* hybrid and a nearly 23* hollow body 4i in my modern bag, and they perform different tricks. Sometimes I take the hybrid out for a 24* 9W (V-steel, of course), which is like a long range pitching wedge.

Yep you are one of the few that understands why I do some of the things I do

• Like 3

6 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

When it comes to fairway woods, I know better than to trade them in an the earliest opportunity. If you have one you like but have fallen out with, always keep it around because you never know when the capricious little devil will change its mind.

Persimmon drivers are the same. I can understand why the pros in the days of persimmon would hang on to their driver for so long, even when it became more epoxy than wood! 

I messed around for a while with other impliments especially on the top side of the bag-- Then I figured out to stick what works for me and that is my old dependable 7 wood for one--- On the bottom end on putters it is the old rusty Scotty hands down and wedges it is my old rusty 588 even though I rotate out in the 56 slot a beloved Wilson JP.

Now vintage it is a crap shoot because mainly part of my fun there is hitting different stuff and I am not trying to win a scramble or even keep score

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I messed around for a while with other impliments especially on the top side of the bag-- Then I figured out to stick what works for me and that is my old dependable 7 wood for one--- On the bottom end on putters it is the old rusty Scotty hands down and wedges it is my old rusty 588 even though I rotate out in the 56 slot a beloved Wilson JP.

Now vintage it is a crap shoot because mainly part of my fun there is hitting different stuff and I am not trying to win a scramble or even keep score

One side bonus of playing lots of old stuff is that it's helped me find out what works for me and what doesn't in the modern stuff, especially with wedges. It's not the reason why I play vintage. I play the old stuff for fun, but because I'm not worrying about score so much when I play it, I can experiment with different setups, sole grinds, and the like, and learn more about my game.

• Like 3

On 8/6/2021 at 4:50 PM, PhillipG78 said:

I figure some new heads and modern shafts ill get better numbers. A 50 yard gap between driver and 3 wood seems a lot. I'd ideally like my driver around 300, 3 wood 260-270 and 5 wood 230-240.  Plus i gotta hit it pefect on the button to get it 250-260 i figure newer clubs i'll consistently get 250+ each time maybe smoother through the rough too. 

I thought this was the "Classic Golf and Golfers" thread.

Edited by 5 O'Clock Charlie

Adams 9064LS  - Driver
Adams 4060  - 3W

Maltby TS-1  - 3-PW

Maltby TSW Forged  - 50/56

On 8/8/2021 at 2:40 AM, BIG STU said:

Basically what I do if you look at my signature. I think it was our fellow member Fellaheem or Scooter Mc Tavish that coined the phrase " a bag for all seasons"--- Yeah my old V-Steels are "antique" as far as metal woods are concerned but they fit my eye good and I hit them better than I do any modern metals.

I’m not on here much these days but I saw this thread and just wanted to add for the record it’s “a set for all seasons” written in my original post back in 2012. Yikes…nine years ago!

• Like 4

Bridgestone 9.5
Taylor Made V steel 18
Cobra 23 deg. hybrid
Alpha irons 5-pw 
Wedges 53, 58
Putter: uh, I have a few

5 hours ago, Kirasdad said:

I’m not on here much these days but I saw this thread and just wanted to add for the record it’s “a set for all seasons” written in my original post back in 2012. Yikes…nine years ago!

Just went back and looked that thread up.  Funny how you get something in your mind as such only to discover later that your recollection was wrong.  Always had thought that was Scooter's thread, when in fact if was yours.

I read the first page in it's entirety and then went to the last page as a sort of bookend synopsis.

When I look at my own current bag and view it from the SFAS perspective, it is clearly not what the authors had in mind, yet compared to current crop club tech it does feel decidedly aged as in modernist in design without being particularly current.  I have the current stuff and find that even more challenging to play, with its ultralight weight and vacant feel that mute almost any semblance of feedback beyond; well that felt weird!

The more aged bag that I was playing a month or so ago from the mostly 80's era performs within a stroke or two of the modernist bag from the 2000's era.  Either gives me enjoyment as I ply my modest skills.  Can't say much more than that.  For this golfer the Set for all Seasons just happens to be whatever makes its way into the boot before I head to the course.

• Like 4

When I checked on the old thread I couldn’t believe how long it had been. 

That Cobra Baffler you have in your sig is a hell of a club. I had one once. I go back and forth on vintage vs. modern, but limit it pretty much to two sets. I have my modern bag where pretty much everything is 5 or six years old at most, then my Mac persimmons and Hogan Radials get in quite a few rounds too,mostly around this time of year, which is sort of the off-season for me. In SoCal we have good weather all the time but I seem to dial it back a notch from Nov. to Feb. I still work full time as a college professor and my daughter is a senior in high school so it’s just harder to find time during the school year. I used to experiment with all sorts of stuff but it just got tedious. I like to at least strike the ball solidly even when I’m playing classic. Score isn’t as important as hitting good shots when I’m playing vintage but scuffling is no fun at all, so I honed in on one set and that has really increased my enjoyment. I had a ace recently with my Radial 5 iron. I was playing by my self unfortunately, but I know it happened and had something to brag about to my wife when I got home.

• Like 3

Bridgestone 9.5
Taylor Made V steel 18
Cobra 23 deg. hybrid
Alpha irons 5-pw 
Wedges 53, 58
Putter: uh, I have a few