Fights on a Golf Course

12 minutes ago, Carl Spackler3 said:

Isn’t Portland in Oregon 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

That is basically its own state lol. Awful place can't stand it.. lived there for 5 years and I wish I never had to

• Like 2

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

3 hours ago, Paddy_2_Iron said:

Why would you make such random claims?  I was hit in the face by an iron and lost the use of my right side of my face due to the plexus of nerves being damaged.  I didn't even hit back that time.  I pressed charges at the time both felonies, battery and another, which I allowed them to plea down agreeing with the public attorney. 

The time my dad and I were playing and the group came up and hit my 55 year old father in the face ( at the time ) and hit me I blasted that a** hat in his face.  He wanted nothing to do us after that.  It was dumb luck but my guess is I hammered the alpha and he realized time to move on and pick on some other group, which he and his band of merry drunk idiots ended up doing.  

Anyone who carries an electronic police baton on the golf course is suspect IMO. You’ve had two physical altercations and over ten shouting matches on the golf course when most people have had zero of either. So my suspicion is that you must be doing something to attract negative attention. Or maybe you go seeking out golf courses in rough neighborhoods? 

• Like 3

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, oikos1 said:

Hmmm....another reason Evel was the man:

We were playing a big-money game at Las Vegas Country Club. My partner was Jay Sarno, the fellow who built Caesars Palace. One of the guys we were playing against was a terrible cheater, so I knew we had to keep an eye on him. One of our side bets was that nobody could reach a certain par 5 in two. After we hit our drives on this par 5, I had my back turned to him when he hit his second shot. He hit the green and started yelling that he'd won the bet. What he didn't know was, I had a Zebra putter, the kind with the shiny steel plate on the sole. I'd watched him through the soleplate, which was like a mirror. I went straight over and gave the guy a push. Under his foot was a tee. Well, I pulled a .44 magnum from my bag and chased that guy around the course until I cornered him between some condos. He was on his knees begging me not to kill him. To this day I don't know what stopped me from shooting him. The sheriff was called out, and he let me go, because he knew the kind of man this guy was. The sheriff told me I'd be best off not playing golf for money in Las Vegas, because that town has the worst cheaters in the world.

image.jpeg.bc86ac961dc582a36df13ae3550bd590.jpeg

My Shot: Evel Knievel  https://www.golfdigest.com/story/myshot_gd0508

That entire article is a good read.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Me ? Never. But about 25 years ago at my home club.

One member was a recreational hockey player. About 33, 6'3", maybe 230 and all muscle. Seemed to have a bit of temper but he controlled it really well and was really kind of easygoing.

Another member was about 5'6", 150 and was like one of those yappy little dogs, always pushing pushing pushing expecting nobody bigger would really take a whack at him. In the world of ulcers he was what is known as a carrier. :classic_laugh:

Well, these 2 didn't particularly like each other. I wasn't there but one day before a round the little guy pushed the big guy too hard. Gene reportedly held Mark up against the fence by his throat for a short time and told him he'd better let it go already.

That was that. Gene was suspended for 2 months. Mark was reprimanded and told to stop provoking other members.

Another time though, I was on the 7th fairway and on the parallel 6th fairway we heard a commotion. It was this same hockey player Gene, but this time with an older member, Eddie.

Eddie was about 55, 5'10" or so and built like a fireplug. The kind of guy that if I took a running start and lowered a shoulder into his chest I'd just bounce right off and he wouldn't budge. :classic_ohmy:

They were shouting and they squared off. This time the younger guy threw one punch to Eddie's chest and down went Eddie. A 1 punch knockout and TKO. Eddie got up shortly and they continued on with their rounds. Dunno1.gif

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I play a wide range of courses from scruffy munis to ritzy country clubs and everything in between. Honestly I've found that the good ole boys who play the cheap munis around here are far more easy-going than some of the members at the country club closest to where I live. 

The club is what I'd consider mid-level for the area. The course is well-conditioned but the layout is not one people go out of their way to play. Almost everyone who belongs there lives within a five-mile radius of the property, so members tend to know each other through multiple social channels like school, work, kids' sports, church, and probably seedier stuff like exposed marital affairs, bad debts and the like. 

Worse, it seems like some of the more vocal members have appointed themselves as protectors/defenders of the club. They want to make sure everyone recognizes their self-appointed authority and go out of their way to insert themselves in situations that have nothing to do with them. 

I was playing there as a guest once and the pro told our member that a lowball was currently playing on the front nine and recommended we go off the 10th. We'd made it to 13th tee before the lead group in that lowball almost caught up to us. One little fella drove up to us from a hole-and-a-half behind to tear into our member about going off 10 instead of 1 and how "we just don't do that around here" and that "I don't care what the pro says, I run the lowball and nobody checked with me first!" Just crazy stuff. I'm surprised my host kept his cool. It was intense for a few minutes there. How'd you like to be the pro or asst when the members have decided they're the ones in charge? 

It's the only place I've ever been as a guest where someone in a different foursome came over to make sure all of us had paid our guest fees before teeing off. 😕

I've played in a few of their regular money games as a guest and the stories about long-term beefs between various members are endless. It's not the only reason I opt not to join the club but it definitely throws cold water on the idea whenever it crosses my mind. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 8/7/2021 at 12:47 PM, Paddy_2_Iron said:

2 times in my life both times pressed charges.  Hit in the right jaw with an iron, took me down to the ground.  Pressed charges on this drunk 18 years, two felon counts.  Attorney called and asked if I was okay pleading down to two misdemeanors I said yes, although as I type this post I still rage and wish I would of stuck him with felonies.  

The other time my Dad and I were playing.  Two guys came up to us and wanted to fight I got hit in the face my dad did too.  I hit back with my fist in his face, it hit him hard.  We both realize this was crazy or they saw I was going to fight back and they moved on, some of their not so wasted buddies talked them into it.  We called the cops immediately and later on found out they were beating up other golfers on the course.  

I've been in several shouting matches over 10 of them.  I'd like to think it was never because of me, personally.  But sometimes you play with hot heads or encounter them.  I always bring a high end police baton with serious voltage 12,000,000 volts.   It'll make a 6 ft 5 monster piss his pants.  

You need anger management and to learn DE-escalation techniques before you or someone else gets killed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, larrybud said:

You need anger management and to learn DE-escalation techniques before you or someone else gets killed.

It's been explained already, read through the post(s) again and try harder.  It was self defense and I was hit in the face.  Both times the other people were charged with crimes. 

• Thanks 1

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

Just now, Paddy_2_Iron said:

It's been explained already, read through the post(s) again and try harder.  It was self defense and I was hit in the face.  Both times the other people were charged with crimes. 

Just because it's self-defense doesn't mean that you couldn't have de-escalated before it got to something physical. Just because "someone wants to fight" doesn't mean it ends up in a fight.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, larrybud said:

Just because it's self-defense doesn't mean that you couldn't have de-escalated before it got to something physical. Just because "someone wants to fight" doesn't mean it ends up in a fight.

Dude were did you grow up at  Disney world ? If someone wants to fight you there going to fight you..Yea you see it on tv but in real life it does not happen PERIOD..... well at least in my experience

• Like 4

Sand traps suck

2 minutes ago, sittingbull said:

Dude were did you grow up at  Disney world ? If someone wants to fight you there going to fight you..Yea you see it on tv but in real life it does not happen PERIOD..... well at least in my experience

Like I said, people need to learn de-escalation techniques. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, larrybud said:

Like I said, people need to learn de-escalation techniques. 

I agree with this. Some people are crazy and there's no stopping them. But there's also a reason some people get into a lot of fights and others don't .

It's very rare at least in my experience, that you'll do something that starts a confrontation (say, hitting into someone) and the guy will just turn around and charge you, Braveheart style. Most fights happen because things escalated after name calling, threats etc...Between 2 people who just can't walk away.

If the confrontation goes like this:

-Sorry for hitting into you

-You m******** piece of ***** , i'll kill you if you hit into me again , you don't know who you're f**** with

-Yeah, well like i said i'm really sorry for hitting into you, won't happen again

If someone is willing to be the bigger man, fights almost never happen

• Like 4

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, larrybud said:

I'm the one at fault even though in the court of law it states I was the victim.  Heck I even gave my blessing to lessen the charges from Felonies to Misdemeanors.  I loss use of my face for about 6 months and I am not allowed to hit some drunk idiot after he hits my dad and I in the face. 

You just want to be a contrarian.  

• Thanks 1

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

44 minutes ago, Paddy_2_Iron said:

I'm the one at fault even though in the court of law it states I was the victim.  Heck I even gave my blessing to lessen the charges from Felonies to Misdemeanors.  I loss use of my face for about 6 months and I am not allowed to hit some drunk idiot after he hits my dad and I in the face. 

You still don't get it. Deescalation means that words prevent the first punch to your dad from even being thrown in the first place.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sittingbull said:

Exactly.  Drunk irrational people are always so easy to negotiate with.  😕

I literally got hit in the face with a long iron in the face I went down.  I was stunned.   My partner was hit in the leg with an iron.  Later on they were laying on the greens passed out drunk.  

The time with my father was almost as shocking.  If I wouldn't of clocked that guy in the face he would of pummelled on us.  That's a fact....   I stuck him really hard and he knew he didn't want to bang with me.  It was going to be too much effort.  He was looking for an easy victim.   He may have gotten the best of me, but it wasn't going to easy.  He knew it!  

I've been in several situations were I have been yelled at, for hitting into people due to blind tee shots or what have ya.  I've diffused those situations but sometimes like you mentioned it's not avoidable.  

Edited by Paddy_2_Iron

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

On 8/9/2021 at 11:35 AM, Paddy_2_Iron said:

On 8/7/2021 at 12:47 PM, Paddy_2_Iron said:

I've been in several shouting matches over 10 of them.  I'd like to think it was never because of me, personally.  But sometimes you play with hot heads or encounter them.  I always bring a high end police baton with serious voltage 12,000,000 volts.   It'll make a 6 ft 5 monster piss his pants.  

Whistle.gif

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I almost got into a flight playing the blue course at Bethpage two years ago on a Saturday in late July. It was really hot, like 100with super high humidity and for whatever reason, I let my buddy talk me into walking 18. Huge mistake. It's a typical public golf experience where you wait five minutes on every teebox and wait five minutes on every second shot because they've absolutely jammed the field. But it still feels like everyone is playing slow and maybe someone up ahead is but we can't see it. Marshalls are no where to be found, along with a beverage cart or water stations. Brutal. 

Anyway, one guy in the group behind us is just consistently hitting into us off the tee box. I'm getting annoyed. I lose my ball in some rough on a par 4 around 11 or 12 after waiting 5 min on the tee box and am having trouble finding my ball. The group in front of us is still on the green as we walk up to our second shots and I'm looking for my ball. I'm not taking an undue amount of time and I eventually find it as the rest of my group finish their second shots. I walk up, take a quick practice swing and line up my shot and swing. As I do this, I hear the familiar clink of a driver and shortly thereafter a ball comes whizzing by my ear, maybe a foot away from head and lands maybe 10-15 yards in the front of me. Of course, it is the same jackass who has been hitting into us all day. At this point I'm ready for a confrontation, so I pick up his ball and drop it into the cup as I walk up to the green. The course, which I had never played before, has several switch backs on the back 9 and I happen to end up in the rough between two sequential holes on one of them. The jackass of course is in the same rough and so I told him something to the effect of "that was a helluva hole in one!". He responds back something like, "you guys were playing slow and how dare you touch my ball", walking right up to me. I was pretty sure we were about to get into it, but I think I may have already had my club in hand and maybe he thought better of it. He walks off eventually and we're still chirping back and forth. 

I don't see him again the rest of the day and I finish up with a 90, which I considered a win with how dehydrated I was. One of the guys from his group flags me down as I return the cart and is extremely apologetic and explains the jackass was a single and they kept telling him to stop hitting into us. Walk out to my buddy's car in the parking lot and guess who walks up moments later to a car not two spots away? It's the jackass, which is a pretty remarkable coincidence considering how massive the parking lot at Bethpage is. He walks over and actually apologizes which surprised me but then starts chirping again about how we were playing slow etc. and I pointed out that we waited on every single tee box and second shot just like they did, and we all still got around in under 5 hours which was surprising considering the waits. Ridiculous behavior but, hey, it is Long Island. 

• Like 1

The fact you've been in 10 shouting matches on the golf course tells me you were no innocent bystander in this, no matter what the courts say.

You sound a bit more like an instigator that had a final outcome that was inevitable - someone breaking the law to shut you up.

Edited by sekrah
  • Like 2

On 8/8/2021 at 3:54 PM, me05501 said:

Anyone who carries an electronic police baton on the golf course is suspect IMO. You’ve had two physical altercations and over ten shouting matches on the golf course when most people have had zero of either. So my suspicion is that you must be doing something to attract negative attention. Or maybe you go seeking out golf courses in rough neighborhoods? 

Makes me think back to when I was in college and hung out at a dive bar back home.  The bartender was complaining about argumentative customers and all the altercations he has at work to the guy sitting next to me.   I remarked that sometimes you just have to ignore some people for your own sanity. The bartender gets in my face all mad.   You think you know me? You think you know what's best for me?  Smart alex me replies, I know why you are getting into altercations at work. Not every incident requires you duke it out. 

• Like 1

In the “Give yourself some credit” thread he is proud of himself for sneaking 28 beers onto the course. I’m thinking the alcohol might have something to do with the frequency of incidents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

On 8/9/2021 at 12:40 PM, Paddy_2_Iron said:

Exactly.  Drunk irrational people are always so easy to negotiate with.  😕

I literally got hit in the face with a long iron in the face I went down.  I was stunned.   My partner was hit in the leg with an iron.  Later on they were laying on the greens passed out drunk.  

The time with my father was almost as shocking.  If I wouldn't of clocked that guy in the face he would of pummelled on us.  That's a fact....   I stuck him really hard and he knew he didn't want to bang with me.  It was going to be too much effort.  He was looking for an easy victim.   He may have gotten the best of me, but it wasn't going to easy.  He knew it!  

I've been in several situations were I have been yelled at, for hitting into people due to blind tee shots or what have ya.  I've diffused those situations but sometimes like you mentioned it's not avoidable.  

Paddy_2_Iron

FEEDBACK

0  0  0

TOTAL RATING 0%

Advanced Members

741 posts

Posted August 2

Manage to sneak 24 beers in my golf bag leaking ice everywhere at TPC sawgrass and not get kicked out.  This included 3 different guys carrying my 1000 lb bag onto the carts.  Of course I tipped each one 20 each to keep it quite.  I still saved some money.  

I'm pretty proud of that, even though it was cart path only.  Had 4 pars and shot a 99 extremely drunk.  

YES DRUNK word not allowedS

16 hours ago, Gsea said:

Paddy_2_Iron

FEEDBACK

0  0  0

TOTAL RATING 0%

Advanced Members

741 posts

Posted August 2

Manage to sneak 24 beers in my golf bag leaking ice everywhere at TPC sawgrass and not get kicked out.  This included 3 different guys carrying my 1000 lb bag onto the carts.  Of course I tipped each one 20 each to keep it quite.  I still saved some money.  

I'm pretty proud of that, even though it was cart path only.  Had 4 pars and shot a 99 extremely drunk.  

YES DRUNK word not allowedS

stage-five-clinger-wedding-crashers.gif

Edited by Paddy_2_Iron

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1