2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

No Artisan Putters at a Tournament in the Pacific Northwest

On 8/7/2021 at 4:50 AM, snagy2000 said:

John Hatfield at Artisan makes outstanding putters. I've had mine for a year and a half and it's more than paid for itself. The fitting process was amazing and he had it to me in six weeks. I will never need to buy another putter again. Nice to have that part of the game sewn up. 

About a month ago I found a way around the blood pressure medications that had ruined my putting for a year and a half. I  now use a straight back, straight through longer slower stroke.  Instead of a quicker inside to inside stroke. The acid test was a week long match play tournament on the Oregon Coast and I putted pretty well. With a starting point of a 95-97 Scotty Cameron Newport head I had copper plated. All standard specs, 322 gram head with the copper plating, OEM shaft and NOS Royal pebble grip.

Any custom putter made for my old stroke would be useless now. If my new stroke works I'm not apposed to driving an hour or six and having an artisian putter built for me. But I don't have data to do it now. And in my case it would have to be the final piece to being competive again in tournaments.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

Happy I hung around to see the crystal trophy flex.  

To answer . . . the wizard has to wield the wand with skill. Does the wizard choose the wand or the wand choose the wizard?

• Haha 2

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

4 hours ago, shart6 said:

About a month ago I found a way around the blood pressure medications that had ruined my putting for a year and a half. I  now use a straight back, straight through longer slower stroke.  Instead of a quicker inside to inside stroke. The acid test was a week long match play tournament on the Oregon Coast and I putted pretty well. With a starting point of a 95-97 Scotty Cameron Newport head I had copper plated. All standard specs, 322 gram head with the copper plating, OEM shaft and NOS Royal pebble grip.

Any custom putter made for my old stroke would be useless now. If my new stroke works I'm not apposed to driving an hour or six and having an artisian putter built for me. But I don't have data to do it now. And in my case it would have to be the final piece to being competive again in tournaments.

2 - 3 hours spent with John will enlighten you no matter what stroke you bring. It was a great time!

14 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

2 - 3 hours spent with John will enlighten you no matter what stroke you bring. It was a great time!

Enlightenment comes from tournament play, practice, record keeping and working with my instructor on putting. Nothing has changed since I was a teenager. 

Putter Ping Pal 2F

25 minutes ago, PeanutsDaddy said:

To answer . . . the wizard has to wield the wand with skill. Does the wizard choose the wand or the wand choose the wizard?

The wand chooses the wizard. It’s not always clear why. 

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

2 hours ago, PeanutsDaddy said:

My favorite part of the crystal trophy flex 💪is the glare that obscures some of the wording. The Wizard 🧙‍♀️definitely welds the wand with skill. If you pay David Mills 🧙‍♀️hundreds of dollars, he’ll weld you a magic wand 🪄 made of Swiss🇨🇭German 🇩🇪stainless steel. He’ll stamp “my magic wand” on the bottom. For some, he’ll even stamp “my magic magic wand” on the bottom.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shart6 said:

Isn't Artisan in TX?

1 hour ago, SavageHenry said:

Pretty far to drive

I drive to that area every couple of years. I fly there a couple times a year.

Putter Ping Pal 2F

4 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

The wand chooses the wizard. It’s not always clear why. 

My two favorite putters in my aviatar chose me.

Putter Ping Pal 2F

3 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

And yet, you still search for it...Go see John...

download.gif

The thing is with my old stroke I already owned the pieces of the putter I was searching for, the black 8813 in my avatar. Two of the 8802s in avatar were wands, I used one for 17 years, both have illegal grips. If my new stroke holds up, I may have the pieces already. One good tournament putting is not enough to make the decision. If not my first stop would be near me, Lamont Mann, he was very helpful restoring a Titleist Tour Model putter a few pages back. 

Putter Ping Pal 2F

24 minutes ago, Humble said:

So did we ever figure out what the point of this thread was?

99% of golfers use OTR putters. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

2 hours ago, SavageHenry said:

From Oregon, I mean

I don't live in Oregon, I live in Scottsdale Arizona so about 1,000 miles a two day drive.

Putter Ping Pal 2F

• 1 month later...

Weird, odd thread. Get in a plane and fly to DFW, go west about 30 minutes, arrive at Artisan.

• Haha 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

On 9/11/2021 at 1:04 AM, SwingMan said:

Weird, odd thread. Get in a plane and fly to DFW, go west about 30 minutes, arrive at Artisan.

Very true but I still don't see artisan putters when I play in tournaments or organized games for that matter. So I wonder are the answers I seek in me, the putter or a combination of the two? After eighteen months of darkness on the greens, I'm getting closer to where I was before.

What would make my putting better by hopping a quick flight to Dallas and a short drive to Ft Worth?

Putter Ping Pal 2F

45 minutes ago, shart6 said:

Very true but I still don't see artisan putters when I play in tournaments or organized games for that matter. So I wonder are the answers I seek in me, the putter or a combination of the two? After eighteen months of darkness on the greens, I'm getting closer to where I was before.

What would make my putting better by hopping a quick flight to Dallas and a short drive to Ft Worth?

Everyone is confused because of the following: 

Artisan = Golf Company in Texas https://www.artisangolftx.com/

Artisan in your context = putter makers that are not OEM/OTR offerings 

Everyone in this thread is thinking you meant Artisan the company not artisan makers. Boutique/custom is better wording.

Ft. Worth TX - Location of Artisan golf HQ.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

2 hours ago, shart6 said:

south park beat a dead horse GIF

• Like 2

On 8/9/2021 at 9:48 AM, shart6 said:

Or you are taking the comments seriously of someone who uses their old Microsoft Developer user name in other places on the web since the late eighties. Shart1 to 4 were taken and I consider 5 unlucky so I chose 6. I can always start using my notorius  audio user name Rt66indierock or my real name. I have nothing to hide in golf except maybe this.

Oregon Coast Hardware.jpg

On 8/9/2021 at 3:28 PM, PeanutsDaddy said:

The RUNNER-UP crystal trophy flex no less. 

200.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

21 hours ago, shart6 said:

I have a long novella somewhere else about my recent putter fitting. It might interest you, might not, but if you want to know.  This site has a fitting from a couple of years ago.

As to why you don't see them, and I think that is the point of the thread (If they are so great, where are they?) Artisan is not exactly a household name, especially in the Northwest and elsewhere. They don't market, make twisted necks, don't use German or Dalmation steel, and do not look like your Dad's Scotty Cameron. Well, the Anser style putters do. Artisan is the ultimate mouth to mouth referral. Their putters are scoring tools, without the marketing aesthetics.

But John Hatfield and Mike Taylor have been in the business as long as I've been working in the real world - about 40 yrs. They did work for Tiger and many PGA Touring Pros, watched and worked with Tiger, and when I was there, a lot of PGA Pros had boxes at Artisan on shelves. I saw the names - impressive current names, too.

Hatfield takes you to a real putting green with slope and break. He watches you hit short, long and medium putts, To do the fitting, he will ask you about your current putting issues, how you feel on the greens, mental issues, yips, etc. and he will have answers.After watching you, without a SAM, he will know whether you need a lighter or heavier head, how much toe hang, offset, lie, loft, etc. He will watch how you aim, your routine, everything you do on a green during a round. He will also fit you for milling.  Most fittings don't come near that. He will find out which hand is dominant and talk about how that affects your putting and stroke, and educate you. You actually get better during the fitting.

I will tell you that I've never hit a ball that rolled as tight or true than with John's putters - must be the milling because I had putts that I knew would turn left of the hole and they stayed on line and into the hole. I was impressed. 

John says he can make any of his putters fit your swing, so you choose the head you want. Now I have done Edel fittings with their emphasis on head shape and sightlines but John noticed that I aim the face, so as long as I'm not distracted, choose a head. I have this routine where I do Aimpoint/Find the line, aim the putter using the face, and follow the line to the target and back and make any adjustments - that's my aiming routine. Point is John observes much more than the your regular pro fitter in my experience. Best putter fitting I've had. In June, I had the best wedge fitting I've had at Artisan.

John is a believer that most of us have taken our athleticism out of putting, and have become too mechanical. He can help you getmore relaxed and improve your putting technique while you are getting fit. So even if you don't get a putter, he will have more than earned your money. But you'll get a putter. He's that good,.

Learned a lot that I can use on the course. Well worth it.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 3

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

54 minutes ago, Humble said:

I booked my flight and fitting. I’ll be over there mid October 🎉

Jealous 

Lefty - WITB Thread

23 hours ago, SwingMan said:

I have a long novella somewhere else about my recent putter fitting. It might interest you, might not, but if you want to know.  This site has a fitting from a couple of years ago.

As to why you don't see them, and I think that is the point of the thread (If they are so great, where are they?) Artisan is not exactly a household name, especially in the Northwest and elsewhere. They don't market, make twisted necks, don't use German or Dalmation steel, and do not look like your Dad's Scotty Cameron. Well, the Anser style putters do. Artisan is the ultimate mouth to mouth referral. Their putters are scoring tools, without the marketing aesthetics.

But John Hatfield and Mike Taylor have been in the business as long as I've been working in the real world - about 40 yrs. They did work for Tiger and many PGA Touring Pros, watched and worked with Tiger, and when I was there, a lot of PGA Pros had boxes at Artisan on shelves. I saw the names - impressive current names, too.

Hatfield takes you to a real putting green with slope and break. He watches you hit short, long and medium putts, To do the fitting, he will ask you about your current putting issues, how you feel on the greens, mental issues, yips, etc. and he will have answers.After watching you, without a SAM, he will know whether you need a lighter or heavier head, how much toe hang, offset, lie, loft, etc. He will watch how you aim, your routine, everything you do on a green during a round. He will also fit you for milling.  Most fittings don't come near that. He will find out which hand is dominant and talk about how that affects your putting and stroke, and educate you. You actually get better during the fitting.

I will tell you that I've never hit a ball that rolled as tight or true than with John's putters - must be the milling because I had putts that I knew would turn left of the hole and they stayed on line and into the hole. I was impressed. 

John says he can make any of his putters fit your swing, so you choose the head you want. Now I have done Edel fittings with their emphasis on head shape and sightlines but John noticed that I aim the face, so as long as I'm not distracted, choose a head. I have this routine where I do Aimpoint/Find the line, aim the putter using the face, and follow the line to the target and back and make any adjustments - that's my aiming routine. Point is John observes much more than the your regular pro fitter in my experience. Best putter fitting I've had. In June, I had the best wedge fitting I've had at Artisan.

John is a believer that most of us have taken our athleticism out of putting, and have become too mechanical. He can help you getmore relaxed and improve your putting technique while you are getting fit. So even if you don't get a putter, he will have more than earned your money. But you'll get a putter. He's that good,.

Learned a lot that I can use on the course. Well worth it.

Not sure where to begin so I’ll start with putter fitting – mental issues. I have enough scar tissue from just the dad of one of Today’s US Senior Women’s finalists that I wouldn’t wish on anyone. And that is drop in the bucket. I didn’t putt well enough to win a college tournament or get out the Western Regional PGA Tour Qualifying School. I have a lot of golf scar tissue I don’t think John Hatfield can help with.

Putting was always an issue and I had a front row seat watching Bob Gilder and Peter Jacobson kept putting better when I didn’t. But I was good enough to win a few tournaments and after eighteen months of despair I’m back on the right track with a different stroke and Aim Point. So, I feel pretty good on the greens. Feeling confident will be the result of more success in tournaments nothing else.

For me fitting is a process not an event. I need to putt well on Poa, bent grass, Bermuda, and Rye hard to do in one fitting.  For example, I’ve had three shafts on my current putter all the same type just slightly different stiffness to get the right feel. I build and test, evaluate each spec. And I’ve experimented with how milling changes the sound in carbon steel and 303 stainless steel do I really need to do more?

John Hatfield has a great resume with Ray Cook, Mike Taylor with Hogan and both with Nike so their talents are not in question. But basic question remains, how do you know what you are getting? Remember what Mark O’Meara said to Tiger after he beat him by a shot at the Masters? Now you know why it’s the backup. Tiger was using Mark’s backup Ping Anser 2. My current Classic Newport is essentially a backup, the sweet spot is just a little off for most of my slight misses toward the heel. I could pull out either of my 85020 Ping Anser putters and not have the issue, but I don’t like sound.

Putter Ping Pal 2F