Proper putter length - am I sizing myself correctly?

In the market for a new putter here and trying to get the correct length. Everything I find on the internet says to get in putting position with your arms hanging below your shoulders, then measure from the floor to the wrist crease. I'm 5'11" tall and when I do this I get 32"...am I doing something wrong? That seems quite short for someone of my height, no? I don't bend over very much during my putting, nor do I bend me knees at all really.

My current putter is 34" and it has always felt like I have to chickenwing my elbows quite a bit when I putt, so perhaps I just have funky anatomy (long arms, short legs, not really sure). But I'm not even sure I can find a 32" putter...

https://store.seemore.com/info/fit-yourself-for-a-custom-seemore-putter/

This is a decent static fitting guide.  
32 does seem short but everyone’s anatomy and stance are different.  Would you be more or less comforatable choked up 2 inches on your 34 putter?  You seem like someone who may benefit from a fitting.  If your 5’11” and need a 32 inch putter I would think a non standard lie angle is possible as well.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, jomatty said:

https://store.seemore.com/info/fit-yourself-for-a-custom-seemore-putter/

This is a decent static fitting guide.  
32 does seem short but everyone’s anatomy and stance are different.  Would you be more or less comforatable choked up 2 inches on your 34 putter?  You seem like someone who may benefit from a fitting.  If your 5’11” and need a 32 inch putter I would think a non standard lie angle is possible as well.

Interesting - this fitting guide says 32.5" length, 70 degree lie. So short!

Edited by jbmoonchild
correction

31 minutes ago, jbmoonchild said:

In the market for a new putter here and trying to get the correct length. Everything I find on the internet says to get in putting position with your arms hanging below your shoulders, then measure from the floor to the wrist crease. I'm 5'11" tall and when I do this I get 32"...am I doing something wrong? That seems quite short for someone of my height, no? I don't bend over very much during my putting, nor do I bend me knees at all really.

My current putter is 34" and it has always felt like I have to chickenwing my elbows quite a bit when I putt, so perhaps I just have funky anatomy (long arms, short legs, not really sure). But I'm not even sure I can find a 32" putter...

800192745_Nicklausputting.jpg.e8252d017e508ceb05d79aa528039d3d.jpg1587947223_Nicklausputting.jpeg.dcb8d1465fd101a035ea4059c502407b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Just look down the line in a mirror that goes to the floor and you should see what works. If you don’t have one, grab a few putters at a golf store of different lengths and one of their mirrors and done! I like to see the putter lining up with my forearms and combo of right length and lie angle. 

Edited by Hawkeye77

10 hours ago, jbmoonchild said:

I'm 5' 11" and fit into a 35" putter.  I wouldn't put any faith in your reference.

Putter length is 100% dictated by the posture and positions you choose to putt with.   you should never let the length of the putter force you into any particular stance or posture.  Take the stance and posture of your choice.  Either the putter will be just right, off the ground (too short), or part of the grip will be sticking out above your hand (too long) - which isn't generally a problem so too long is much better than too short.   It's ok to use the length (after fitting and adjusting) as a reminder - but the posture needs to come first, not the length of the putter.

If you are not certain about what posture or positions at setup with a putter are good or would work best for you.  Go see a pro or go over to the instruction sub-form and post a video.  Don't listen to the people here in this sub-forum.  That's a dynamic, not static question.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

Jack is about 5'10-11'. How long is that putter ?

I know he's the GOAT but that never looked comfortable to me.

Here is a photo of Johnny Miller putting to win the 1973 US Open at Oakmont.  Nicklaus and Miller did not use a crouched address posture because it was comfortable. They did it because that was the posture which produced a stroke that consistently rolled the ball well and made putts.

1649555572_johnnymillerputting.jpg.c5f630dcb028ebe196450b062370e4a6.jpg

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

18 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Here is a photo of Johnny Miller putting to win the 1973 US Open at Oakmont.  Nicklaus and Miller did not use a crouched address posture because it was comfortable. They did it because that was the posture which produced a stroke that consistently rolled the ball well and made putts.

1649555572_johnnymillerputting.jpg.c5f630dcb028ebe196450b062370e4a6.jpg

That was the posture that worked for them.  No two golfers are alike. 

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

Jack used that because hes left eye dominant.  He got his left eye down and behind the ball to “ see” the line.  That and he then decided he loved the piston stroke that produced with his right hand being behind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

Titleist 915 FD 13.5 Rombax P95x 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Some ladies putters go down to 32 inches.

Odyssey Women's Stroke Lab Putters on sale right now at Dicks Sporting goods have options for 32 and 33 inches.  They are blue; not a girly color like some ladies clubs.

I didn't realize they had them when I was shopping for putters a few months ago.  At that time I only saw 33 inch putters.

Buying something off the shelf may encourage other manufacturers to do the same.  Hard to argue with sales figures.

Edited by ShortGolfer

Try a 33” first. Easy to find and choke down if needed. And if you still feel like it’s too long, easy to cut down an inch. 

Edited by mchamden1
  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max 9*// Ping Tour 65 S -Trialing G425 Max with Ventus 6x-
Titleist 915f 16.5* // Diamana 70 S
Ping G25 Hybrid 20* // TFC 189F S
Mizuno 919 Forged 4-GW // KBS Tour V 110 S
Ping Glide 3.0 56.14* WS / SM7 Raw 60.04* // S200
SWAG Tour "Snacks" H1 // SS Flatso 1.0

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

I'm 5' 11" and fit into a 35" putter.  I wouldn't put any faith in your reference.

Putter length is 100% dictated by the posture and positions you choose to putt with.   you should never let the length of the putter force you into any particular stance or posture.  Take the stance and posture of your choice.  Either the putter will be just right, off the ground (too short), or part of the grip will be sticking out above your hand (too long) - which isn't generally a problem so too long is much better than too short.   It's ok to use the length (after fitting and adjusting) as a reminder - but the posture needs to come first, not the length of the putter.

If you are not certain about what posture or positions at setup with a putter are good or would work best for you.  Go see a pro or go over to the instruction sub-form and post a video.  Don't listen to the people here in this sub-forum.  That's a dynamic, not static question.

I think I have a pretty comfortable putting position. I'm not hunched over at all and am in fact standing quite straight and poking my butt out just a tiny bit. When I do this and grab my 34" putter, it does feel like the grip sticks out a bit above my hands (unless I chicken wing it). So maybe the answer is that I just need to try a 33" putter.

I will say that I have always felt most comfortable keeping my arms fairly straight during a putt. Someone else here described a "home plate" shape between the arms (shown here, a bit exaggerated):

image.png.f15b83a197836d9bd11f1715dc339ec8.png 

To me, that feels like an awkward chicken wing. I feel more comfortable with a pizza pie shape, like shown below.

image.png.2cb82a10993fb3eb63cc09d3c4298597.png

Edited by jbmoonchild
addition
  • Like 4

PizzaSlicePosition

Thats me,a simple,flowing Style.Take Aim,wirk on Ball Position in your stance...eg more forward or back of centre...also hit 5 balls when you Think you are Aiming Straight.........yes,when you THINK you are aiming straight...are you left or right of Target Flag?Left? go ball back a little in stance.Finding the Real Middle of Putter Swing/Stroke and the Impact Point? assists straight to target putts...its Eye Line vs Shoulder Line vs Toes/Feet alighnment.You may putt best with a Slightly Closed to Target Stance🤔Back to that Pizza Slice👍

• Like 1

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

1 hour ago, jbmoonchild said:

To me, that feels like an awkward chicken wing. I feel more comfortable with a pizza pie shape, like shown below.

For what it's worth so do I,  but the amount of waste bend can vary a lot even with that particular method - and that will play a big role in the putter length.   if it's sticking out of your hand a full 1", then you can try a 33" putter.   Or for starters, you can just wrap a piece of tape around the grip 1" from the butt and use that as a reference to test the shorter length.

2 hours ago, jbmoonchild said:

I think I have a pretty comfortable putting position. I'm not hunched over at all and am in fact standing quite straight and poking my butt out just a tiny bit. When I do this and grab my 34" putter, it does feel like the grip sticks out a bit above my hands (unless I chicken wing it). So maybe the answer is that I just need to try a 33" putter.

I will say that I have always felt most comfortable keeping my arms fairly straight during a putt. Someone else here described a "home plate" shape between the arms (shown here, a bit exaggerated):

image.png.f15b83a197836d9bd11f1715dc339ec8.png 

image.png.2cb82a10993fb3eb63cc09d3c4298597.png

Are you kidding me ? Your bottom photo is of the " home plate " look for putting which encourages a natural stroke and release of the putter head.

The top photo is a ridiculous exaggeration of some uncomfortable attempt. Any time you jut your elbow out like that there is slim  chance of  a reliable putting stroke.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Great points. The static fitting guide @jomatty posted above uses some posture and position data to determine its recommendations. A nice place to start just to get a jumping off point. Clearly no replacement for a good dynamic fitting. 

Edited by TiScape

54 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

Are you kidding me ? Your bottom photo is of the " home plate " look for putting which encourages a natural stroke and release of the putter head.

The top photo is a ridiculous exaggeration of some uncomfortable attempt. Any time you jut your elbow out like that there is slim  chance of  a reliable putting stroke.

Perhaps I misunderstood the home plate analogy then. When I think of home plate I think of a 45 degree angle between upper arm and forearm, as in a baseball home plate. The bottom photo looks more like a pizza slice to me. Probably just a semantic thing though.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jbmoonchild said:

Perhaps I misunderstood the home plate analogy then. When I think of home plate I think of a 45 degree angle between upper arm and forearm, as in a baseball home plate. The bottom photo looks more like a pizza slice to me. Probably just a semantic thing though.

Sorry, I use poor grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. lets do this instead.

Home plate has five (5) sides,  a comfortable relaxed position to putt from.

I see the pie slice, its still has 5 sides ( when putting ) not a true triangle. j m o

If you've never tried a really short putter before, give it a go.  Lots of players make more putts with what would seem like "way too short" or "not comfortable".  Some will putt better "closer to their work" and/or a more natural hang to their arms (no chicken wing).

Andy North won (2) U.S Opens with a putter that was, if I recall less than 31".  He is 6'4.

• Like 1