Titleist Pro V1 Left Dot Retail Release?

G-Bone

Considering my swing fault is too high and spinny with high speed, was really interested in trying these out.  Too bad I saw the release about two hours too late!  Arrghh.  Guess I just have to wait until Titleist releases some more in another limited run or full scale like the left dash.  I play the left dash now for the spin reduction, but seems like this will help to bring my launch down a touch too.  

To anyone who snagged two dozen: If you find out you dont like it after the first sleeve I will buy your extras from you 😅

Edited by jak77

Seems like they’re (potentially unintentionally) going the way of Bridgestone, with four overlapping and similarly named tour models.

The two model system was always a plus for Titleist and TaylorMade IMO. Confidence in your ball is a requirement.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

7 hours ago, cardigan said:

That was discussed in previous posts.  Left dot has the 2013 markings and left dash has the 2017 markings.  Since they appear to have been available to players as CPO options and used on tour they "should" be pretty much the same ball as when the first came out.  We've seen that there may be some wiggle room with that though.  Costco came out with a V2 of their 3pc Kirkland ball but it has the exact same marking as the V1.  I guess some slight tweaking may be allowed if it doesn't significantly change the ball.  Probably other cases where a ball is tweaked mid cycle without changing the markings for stuff like durability issues.

Submissions to the USGA expire after 12 months. Most of the time the OEMs resubmit the same ball with the same stamp if it is in use where the one ball condition couple be in play. Sometimes the same ball is submitted multiple times under different stamps as backups in case one fails the conformance tests (ex TP Red LDP) and sometimes the same stamp is used for a different ball of the prior submission has fallen off the list (ex Kirkland Performance+).

4 hours ago, tsecor said:

The 2013 Titleist Pro V1 is the softest Pro V1 golf ball Titleist have ever produced. Designed to offer improved driver and long-game performance and a shallower angle of descent that produces more roll, the 353-dimple 3-piece Pro V1 has also seen some cosmetic enhancements to maintain that out-of-the-box appearance longer.

The left dot has one less dimple than the 2013 prov1 and the same core as the 2013 prov1X

Soft Cast Urethene Elastomer Cover System

Fast Low Spin Casing Layer

High Gradient ZG Process Core

Spherically-Tiles 352 Tetrahedral Dimple Design

That quote from Golfalot is a misprint. The ProV1 had 392 dimples from 2000-2010 before changing to 352 in 2011. The only odd numbered dimple pattern I have ever seen was Srixon’s 333 pattern.

Also, the left dot has a single core so it is not the same as any previous v1x core (that lineage has been a dual core design since the 2002 ProV1 Star).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, storm319 said:

Submissions to the USGA expire after 12 months. Most of the time the OEMs resubmit the same ball with the same stamp if it is in use where the one ball condition couple be in play. Sometimes the same ball is submitted multiple times under different stamps as backups in case one fails the conformance tests (ex TP Red LDP) and sometimes the same stamp is used for a different ball of the prior submission has fallen off the list (ex Kirkland Performance+).

Yes, balls on the conforming list definitely have to be renewed (resubmitted) yearly.  I doubt that the left dot ever fell off of the list since it was a CPO option and apparently has been used on tour pretty consistently (albeit not in large numbers) since it came out.  I never heard anything about the Performance+ (if that's the 3 piece) falling off the list before the V2 came out but I think you have to wait a few years after something falls off of the list and you want to use the same name later down the line on a different ball.

On 9/1/2021 at 7:37 AM, GC70 said:

I definitely want to to try these out against the 1x

Based on the characteristics I would think these are between the left dash and V1.  The V1X is higher spin.

FF9B942D-EB62-4226-ADD4-C5437EFB45F6.jpeg

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

1 hour ago, cardigan said:

Yes, balls on the conforming list definitely have to be renewed (resubmitted) yearly.  I doubt that the left dot ever fell off of the list since it was a CPO option and apparently has been used on tour pretty consistently (albeit not in large numbers) since it came out.  I never heard anything about the Performance+ (if that's the 3 piece) falling off the list before the V2 came out but I think you have to wait a few years after something falls off of the list and you want to use the same name later down the line on a different ball.

Technically their guidance states that a stamp shouldn’t be reused until the previous submission has been discontinued for 3 years, but the USGA does not really enforce this (nor would they really have anyway of knowing with their testing methods). They simply test whatever is submitted for but will only allow a single entry per stamp to be on the list at a given time (ultimately they really only care about conformance). Given the submission schedule, it wouldn’t be hard for a submitter to time the new submission so that it is added to the list the same month that the previous submission expires. 

Edited by storm319

8 hours ago, storm319 said:

Technically their guidance states that a stamp shouldn’t be reused until the previous submission has been discontinued for 3 years, but the USGA does not really enforce this (nor would they really have anyway of knowing with their testing methods). They simply test whatever is submitted for but will only allow a single entry per stamp to be on the list at a given time (ultimately they really only care about conformance). Given the submission schedule, it wouldn’t be hard for a submitter to time the new submission so that it is added to the list the same month that the previous submission expires. 

I really doubt that Titleist has been making significant changes to a ball that they produced specifically for players at the highest levels of golf for years without making any changes to the identifying marks but I guess anything is possible.  Hard for me to imagine any of the major OEM's doing that with a tour ball.  What smaller companies with non-tour balls do is another story.

I got to do some chipping and putting at the course today, using both the Left Dot and the current Pro V1.  The left dot definitely feels just a little firmer on putts and chips vs. the Pro V1.  Couldn't tell much about spin given how soft the greens are from all the rain we got two days ago.  I'll try them out this weekend on the course and see how it goes.  

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Played the Left Dot for a full round today (after playing the Pro V1 yesterday) and I was really impressed with it.  I think it slots in perfectly between the AVX and the Pro V1.  Nice soft feel with all of the clubs, more spin than the AVX and little less than the Pro V1.  I'm not a great player by any means, but I can see/feel the difference between the 3 balls.  I now wish I had ordered 2 dozen instead of 1.  I really hope Titleist brings it to retail.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, san2snow said:

I am wondering if from people that have played both the left dash and left dot, it sounds like just about everyone has noticed 15 yard loss off the driver.  Has the loss off the driver been a big factor or other aspects such as iron play made you keep or change your golf ball?

I didn't really notice that much of a difference of the tee. Around the greens I preferred the left dots because it doesn't overspin on full shots. The left dash still spun to much for me on wedge shots. 

Compared to the 2021 pro V1 everything seemed about the same except a little bit less grab. The 2021 ball also seemed to be easier to flight down.

Took part in a Team Titleist Talk on Zoom today on the Custom Performance Options ball program.  They said not to expect a re-release of the Left Dot anytime soon, as they just don't have the stock available for the ball.  It also sounds like it's not a slam dunk that it will be released to retail like the Left Dash Pro V1x.  Could be that technology aspects of the Left Dot make their way into future iterations of the other balls.   The feedback they get from the consumer release will help determine what they do.

They went through a list of the Tour players who play the Left Dot (more than a dozen) and it was a pretty diverse group from bombers (Finau) to shorter players (Jim Herman), and Pat Perez and Adam Scott have played it at times as well.

I hope it does find its way to retail as I like it more than the AVX and the regular Pro V1.  It combines the best of both of those balls for me.

i played the left dot yesterday and i really like it. 

Its really not a lot different from the 2021 prov1 except its a tiny bit firmer, which is a good thing, and it flies just a little further. I played both balls and averaged just over 3 yards extra on my driver and 6-8i shots....around the green it was basically the same ball.....its a great ball, but not as different as i thought it may be....two thumbs up, but not necessarily a game changer for me

Edited by tsecor

On 9/6/2021 at 12:30 AM, san2snow said:

I am wondering if from people that have played both the left dash and left dot, it sounds like just about everyone has noticed 15 yard loss off the driver.  Has the loss off the driver been a big factor or other aspects such as iron play made you keep or change your golf ball?

ive played the left dash a lot this summer and just played the left dot yesterday......the dash is a beast off the tee and when i say that, i mean i gained 10-12 yards from any other ball ive played this year.   BUT i had a had time with roll out on mid irons...around the green i expected it to spin a bit more than it did and had a hard time scoring with this ball.....the prov1 and left dot are much "friendlier" of a scoring ball for me.....

9 minutes ago, monks66 said:

cant get the left dot, I missed the boat...i am surely not paying ebay prices...if someone wants to sell them at a decent price, i am interested....per above post, i dont want the ball to be firmer then reg pro v1....

then dont waste your $$$.....its firmer feeling but just right if u ask me

I played 19 with mine yesterday, normal TP5X player.  I was quite impressed, more spin with shorter clubs and green side, but was like TP5X off the tee.

Nice ball, had to grab a dozen to go with the new T200

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

12 hours ago, tsecor said:

ive played the left dash a lot this summer and just played the left dot yesterday......the dash is a beast off the tee and when i say that, i mean i gained 10-12 yards from any other ball ive played this year.   BUT i had a had time with roll out on mid irons...around the green i expected it to spin a bit more than it did and had a hard time scoring with this ball.....the prov1 and left dot are much "friendlier" of a scoring ball for me.....

That’s similar issues I have been having with the left dash.  I played a few days ago just before my left dot arrived and didn’t seem to lose much but I wasn’t getting the roll out which was great.  Thanks for the information.

Definitely firmer and a lower flight vs standard prov1. Went thru 3 of them this afternoon while playing a round. Ebay prices are coming down to around $130 a dozen vs $50 higher a day or two ago. 

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

3 hours ago, monks66 said:

So, if its firmer , is more like the pro v1x?

I dispute that it's materially firmer than the regular Pro V1.  It feels really close to the Pro V1, just a bit lower spinning. Definitely firmer than AVX, which is one of the softest feeling balls on the market, but nowhere close to as firm as the Pro V1x.

Edited by dwboston

30 minutes ago, dwboston said:

I dispute that it's materially firmer than the regular Pro V1.  It feels really close to the Pro V1, just a bit lower spinning. Definitely firmer than AVX, which is one of the softest feeling balls on the market, but nowhere close to as firm as the Pro V1x.

its truly subjective on feel....

One user's opinon after 36 holes.

Keeping in mind that feel is subjective:

Much firmer than the AVX. Not even close actually.

For me, I thought there was no doubt that it felt firmer than the NEW 2021 Regular ProV1.  Not much firmer, but firmer. 

I am a low spin, low trajectory player with the driver, so I did not notice any real difference between the AVX, 2021 ProV1X, and the Left Dot in terms of launch and trajectory. 

More greenside spin than the AVX.  Not as much as the ProV1X.

To be honest, in a blind test, I am not sure I could discern the difference between the Left Dot, last seasons ProV1 or the 2021 ProV1.

I suspect the players that will be interested in this ball are the ProV1 loyalists and junkies who are dialed into be able to pick up some of the subtle differences and how that might improve their scores.

I was interested and shopping around for a dozen of these but see that they are going for 100+bucks a box.  That's a hard no.  If anyone wants to work out a trade with me for a sleeve of the left dot, I'm game. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I just played 9 holes with them…long off the driver for sure, but felt much better off irons and wedges than the left dash which I also have played. I felt like the compression also led to more distance for me than the AVX and they seemed to spin a bit more on the scoring clubs. If these are the were not limited they would be my ball