Graphite Design Tour AD UB

MMB1500

15 hours ago, btsg808 said:

How would you say the launch/spin compares to the XC? still debating if I should get this shaft and currently game the XC but it launches a bit low for me but helps me keep the spin down.

Hard to say.  I have an XC but didn't go numbers vs numbers with these two.  XC will probably end up a bit lower in both spin & launch than the UB.  XC had much more contrast in feel - softer in the hands and tip stiff.  I hit some crazy long, low spinners with it, but never really dialed it in for every day use.  UB has that same tip stiff feel but a bit more of a "full" firm all around if that makes sense.  I like the UB better than the XC.

1 hour ago, cw1209 said:

I'm getting the sense that anything with a Stiff+ or Very Stiff rating in the tip section is going to make the shaft feel a little more harsh at impact, relative to other Tour AD Shafts. Never heard anyone describe the AD GP as one of their better feeling shafts either. I would agree that most of the Tour AD shafts feel great. I'm going to stick with my TP's for now. 

I hated the TP but I just put the VR into my driver and HD into 3w. All about feel I guess.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

2 hours ago, JNewsted said:

Hard to say.  I have an XC but didn't go numbers vs numbers with these two.  XC will probably end up a bit lower in both spin & launch than the UB.  XC had much more contrast in feel - softer in the hands and tip stiff.  I hit some crazy long, low spinners with it, but never really dialed it in for every day use.  UB has that same tip stiff feel but a bit more of a "full" firm all around if that makes sense.  I like the UB better than the XC.

I have to agree with this.  I've tested the XC and game the UB.  XC launched one to two degrees lower for me on average.  I would say it's on the boardy side.  I like the UB better.  Launches a touch higher and spins more.  I get more hang time with it.  I would say the UB is firm but has just a very subtle kick to it.  Played on Sunday and it was pretty windy down here.  I didn't see any of my drives balloon on me, even into the wind. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

12 hours ago, GolfCarl said:

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback on this new shaft.

With a swing speed of 112 would you recommend a 6x or 6tx with the UB?  My current gamer is a Ventus black 6x untipped.

In the past I played a AD DI 6x 1/2 inch tipped and it was too soft.

Also does Titleist still recommend 1/2 inch tipping for GD AD shafts?

Thanks

You're right at the border there.  You could go 6TX untipped or 6x tipped half to full inch.  I've had the DI in my bag in the past and the UB feels much firmer. 

• Like 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

On 8/8/2021 at 4:03 AM, TiScape said:

Here it is in English. Older graph so no UB. Goes below the DI.

12F7AE21-5A21-4168-AA9C-04B0C0EFC2CB.jpeg
* I do not stand by, nor endorse, any claims made by this graph. 😂 

This chart is such nonsense. It really is only useful for assuming expected launch - and spin even though it doesnt say it. It should be high launch left and low launch right, and high spin on top and low spin on the bottom.

Even with that, it's a crapshoot because you would assume you need to go from bottom right for driver to top left for fairways up in loft - but it doesnt work that way either as as overwhelming amount of people who try GD shafts end up using something from the middle (IZ, VR, TP) in driver and then some of the middle-right area in fairways (DI, BB, MT).

Edited by third-times-a-charm

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Just came back from the first range session with my UB 7x in my TSi3 fairway. Really positive results. Was testing against a HD 7x as well and the UB is definitely much stouter than the HD. I found the HD to have a much more pronounced kick and it was a little loose for my liking. The UB stays true to its mid-launch description as the shot trajectory is very strong with no ballooning. Originally had the DI 7x in my fairway but tended to lose it right (lefty) quite often and it was the only club in my bag that I had a tendency to hook since I predominantly play a fade, so the UB solved that right away as this is a very anti-hook shaft. Will definitely be putting this in the bag.

Edited by btsg808
  • Like 2

Stealth Plus 9.0 - Ventus TR Black 6X

Stealth Plus 15.0 - Ventus TR Black 7X

Stealth Plus 19.0 - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Stealth UDI 17.0 - Ventus Black 9TX

Taylormade P790 3 - Ventus Blue 10X

Titleist T100s 4-PW - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 Jet Black 50.10S - TT DG TI Black Onyx X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 Jet Black 56.10S - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Titleist Vokey SM9 Jet Black 60.12D - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

9 hours ago, btsg808 said:

Just came back from the first range session with my UB 7x in my TSi3 fairway. Really positive results. Was testing against a HD 7x as well and the UB is definitely much stouter than the HD. I found the HD to have a much more pronounced kick and it was a little loose for my liking. The UB stays true to its mid-launch description as the shot trajectory is very strong with no ballooning. Originally had the DI 7x in my fairway but tended to lose it left (lefty) quite often and it was the only club in my bag that I had a tendency to hook since I predominantly play a fade, so the UB solved that right away as this is a very anti-hook shaft. Will definitely be putting this in the bag.

I have both of those shafts sitting around that I'd want to toss in a FW.  Both would need too much prep and build work for me to do and I'm too lazy.  I'd want them in a Mavrik or Epic Speed head, so they're not super interchangeable with adapters...  Plus, tipping them up would make them kind of unusable in a driver for me if those experiments didn't work out.  Decisions!

Had my best driving day in a long time on Sunday with the UB. 9/11 drives found the fairway and the two that missed were slight pulls just off the fairway, pars on both. 

Definitely longer for me than the Ventus Black or Tour AD HD, granted I had both of those in 6x and the UB in 5x. Better dispersion too. Really loving the 59 gram shaft. 

• Like 2

Callaway, Titleist, Miura, Mizuno, Piretti

28 minutes ago, Ereim said:

Had my best driving day in a long time on Sunday with the UB. 9/11 drives found the fairway and the two that missed were slight pulls just off the fairway, pars on both. 

Definitely longer for me than the Ventus Black or Tour AD HD, granted I had both of those in 6x and the UB in 5x. Better dispersion too. Really loving the 59 gram shaft. 

This makes me even more excited for mine to arrive Friday 🙌

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 9°  |  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
TaylorMade Sim Ti 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx
**IRON SET UNDER CONSTRUCTION** 
Titleist SM8 50° |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

I didn't care for my XC and ended up going to an HD. However, I ended up ordering one of the UBs. Can't wait for it to come in and see how it compares. 

• Like 1

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

Just hit the UB 6TX in my TS3 at the range tonight.  My current gamer is the Ventus Black 6X and I'm hitting it great; excellent shaft.  In comparison the UB is higher launch and a bit softer in feel.  It's not the nirvana feel of a DI but it's good.  I'd describe it as solid smooth.  Ball flight was fade every swing which I like, as hooks put big numbers on the scorecard.  Looks wise I'd describe it as a Detroit Lions shaft - Honolulu blue and silver.  It looks really good.  I also wouldn't have minded if they painted the whole shaft blue.  It's a stunning color.  Overall I recommend trying this shaft.  Will it replace my excellent Ventus Black?  Time will tell...

• Like 2

Finally was able to game my UB 6X in some very wet conditions. Everything that everyone is saying in this thread is spot on vs the XC. This launched a bit higher, distance about the same, but the response when I made contact with the ball was very different. The XC is very smooth to me while this you could feel the kick. And to say kick is not really accurate, it’s more of a response you feel that says, “Thank you for hitting me”. I also feel like I can go after the ball a little more because of that. I have definitely found a new gamer. Atleast for a little bit…

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet LS 9°  |  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
TaylorMade Sim Ti 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx
**IRON SET UNDER CONSTRUCTION** 
Titleist SM8 50° |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

23 hours ago, Cellis said:

Finally was able to game my UB 6X in some very wet conditions. Everything that everyone is saying in this thread is spot on vs the XC. This launched a bit higher, distance about the same, but the response when I made contact with the ball was very different. The XC is very smooth to me while this you could feel the kick. And to say kick is not really accurate, it’s more of a response you feel that says, “Thank you for hitting me”. I also feel like I can go after the ball a little more because of that. I have definitely found a new gamer. Atleast for a little bit…

Glad it met expectations! Just a plus that pictures don’t do the finish justice. Really cool looking in person.

”Thank you for hitting me” is a good description 😂

• Like 1

Callaway, Titleist, Miura, Mizuno, Piretti

Finally played a round with the 6TX yesterday.  I hit some absolute bombs - 314, 322.  This was in cool coastal air.  I also hit many shorter than those but I really enjoyed the shaft.  Accuracy was IMO a little worse than my Ventus Black.  That being said I enjoyed the punchy kick this shaft has.  It will be going in the bag for the foreseeable future.

On 10/31/2021 at 10:49 AM, AspiringScratch said:

Anyone testing the UB also hit the GP and can provide a comparison? I’ve had the GP 6S in my driver (King LTD Pro) for five or so years and it’s been great but looking to upgrade drivers.

Sorry if this has been discussed already.

GP feels a little firmer than the UB.  I would say that launch and spin are about the same. 

18 minutes ago, scheff13 said:

I've got a Tour AD-DI 6X Tipped an inch. Currently playing a 45.25" setup. Thoughts on how the UB 6TX would compare at 46.5"?

I don't mind stiffness in the tip. 

Aside from the length difference, I think you’ll find that the UB is firmer throughout, and will launch and spin a touch lower. It still has that signature GD feel but it won’t balloon up on you. Has a nice subtle, powerful kick to it that gets out and goes. It’s my favorite GD shaft at this point. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, scheff13 said:

I've got a Tour AD-DI 6X Tipped an inch. Currently playing a 45.25" setup. Thoughts on how the UB 6TX would compare at 46.5"?

I don't mind stiffness in the tip. 

I've got an AD-DI 6X tipped 1/2 inch playing 45".  The UB 6TX straight in is much stiffer but not too stiff, for me.  In my initial round I didn't have one go left which was the initial reason I went away from the DI.  It was too loose for me.

Anyone test vs Ventus Blue and 1K?

Callaway Tour Issue Paradym TD-S 8.5 (7.9) - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 5X

TaylorMade TOUR Stealth 2 15 - Fujikura Ventus Red TR 7X
PXG 0317X Gen 5 19  (Actual 17.5) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
PXG 0311X Gen 5 -  Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X

PXG 0317T - 4 - LAGP L-Series (5) X
Miura KM-700  5-PW - LAGP L-Series (5) X
PXG Milled "Sugar Daddy 2 " 50,54,60 - DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Holiday LTD (23}/ LAGP 135 (White)

15 hours ago, djhgolf said:

Anyone test vs Ventus Blue and 1K?

I've had both as gamers at one point.  Both are very low spin but the Ventus will launch higher.  The 1k is a true low/low shaft without that boardy feel to it.  The Ventus is remarkably smooth for such a tip stiff shaft. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gsrjc said:

How does this compare to the VR?

VR launches quite a bit higher but spin is about the same IMO.  VR seems to be much easier to turn over as well.  The VR feels softer overall with more kick to it compared to the UB. 

On 11/6/2021 at 2:30 PM, phizzy30 said:

VR launches quite a bit higher but spin is about the same IMO.  VR seems to be much easier to turn over as well.  The VR feels softer overall with more kick to it compared to the UB. 

Agree on all points here too.  I'm still not sure how I rank them against each other, but will want to test a bit further.