Graphite Design Tour AD UB

MMB1500

On 12/6/2021 at 7:58 PM, Ereim said:

I played the DI for several years and still have a few laying around. I definitely think the UB and DI are more cousins than twins. For me, DI launched much higher. UB to me is much more stable as well.

In your experience, which one spins more?

On 12/6/2021 at 11:27 AM, third-times-a-charm said:

I read that, too. It's funny because while on paper it might have the same profiles - anyone who has tested the UB and DI will say they are nothing alike.

Yep.  UB launches noticeably lower and feels so much better/smoother than the DI.  Better dispersion for me as well. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I played the DI for almost a decade. The UB is NOT the same animal. I'm not even sure how you could reach that conclusion unless you never hit either shaft. 

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

So I must be in the minority but to me, UB feels VERY similar to DI. 

I guess my experience isn't really apples to apples though -- I just went back to my trusty AD DI 8x and 9x in my fairways (that I got fit into in 2014!)  after a few years with Fujikura (SpeederTR and Rombax). In the Driver, I'm trying a lighter and longer build (UB 6x tipped 3/4" at 46", instead of 7x profiles at 45" that I have played forever). 

Anyway... the 6x UB matches up to the 8x and 9x DI quite well. I'm tempted to get a 7x to try in the 3 wood for a more direct comparison. 

UB Launches substantially higher and feels much better than the Ventus Blue 6x I have. I must just really like stiff tip soft butt profiles. However, I absolutely despised the Tensie 1k, so who the hell knows. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WeritoK2 said:

Has anyone compared the UB 6X to the IZ 6X? Thinking of getting either for my G425 LST head

IZ will launch the highest out of all the mid/high launch shafts out of the GD family.  If you really need launch then go for the IZ or else go with the UB or HD if you need something more mid launch/low spin. 

• Like 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2021 at 5:03 PM, Tarheelnation3 said:

I played the DI for almost a decade. The UB is NOT the same animal. I'm not even sure how you could reach that conclusion unless you never hit either shaft. 

On 12/10/2021 at 1:08 PM, WeritoK2 said:

Has anyone compared the UB 6X to the IZ 6X? Thinking of getting either for my G425 LST head

As always, everyone reacts differently to a shaft and the build can make a difference as well, but this is from the Fit2Score review and analysis:

The Tour AD UB is a remake of the Tour AD DI. The EI flex distributions are identical. The difference is material. If you play the DI you should test the UB. Not having a DI to compare, we tested the UB against the IZ with some interesting results. Realize that every golfer is going to get different results with a shaft. What we saw with a 110 MPH swing with a negative 2.5 degree angle of attack was slightly less spin from the UB with about the same launch angle. The net effect was the same distance for the IZ and the UB. But the spin on the IZ created more carry and less roll. A different ball flight shape. If you are playing heavily contoured fairways with 320 yard drives I would opt for carry and less roll than less carry and more roll. Shaft fitting is an art. As we saw in this shaft test, low spin is not always the best objective for your game.

https://www.golfshaftreviews.info/graphite-design-tour-ad-ub-shaft-review/

• Like 2
  • Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

2 hours ago, RonSwanson said:

As always, everyone reacts differently to a shaft and the build can make a difference as well, but this is from the Fit2Score review and analysis:

The Tour AD UB is a remake of the Tour AD DI. The EI flex distributions are identical. The difference is material. If you play the DI you should test the UB. Not having a DI to compare, we tested the UB against the IZ with some interesting results. Realize that every golfer is going to get different results with a shaft. What we saw with a 110 MPH swing with a negative 2.5 degree angle of attack was slightly less spin from the UB with about the same launch angle. The net effect was the same distance for the IZ and the UB. But the spin on the IZ created more carry and less roll. A different ball flight shape. If you are playing heavily contoured fairways with 320 yard drives I would opt for carry and less roll than less carry and more roll. Shaft fitting is an art. As we saw in this shaft test, low spin is not always the best objective for your game.

I disagree with the UB being the updated version of the DI.  I had the DI as my gamer for many years and had the UB for a few months trying to make it work.  UB launched lower and was a lot more stable/anti-left for me than the DI ever was.  The DI kicks like a mule whereas the UB had a faint kick at the bottom.  The UB also plays slightly stiffer in the tip as well as the mid and butt compared to the DI. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I disagree with the UB being the updated version of the DI.  I had the DI as my gamer for many years and had the UB for a few months trying to make it work.  UB launched lower and was a lot more stable/anti-left for me than the DI ever was.  The DI kicks like a mule whereas the UB had a faint kick at the bottom.  The UB also plays slightly stiffer in the tip as well as the mid and butt compared to the DI. 

How would you compare the UB vs the HD? I am loving the HD, but always looking for the next best GD shaft. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Just now, OspreyCI said:

How would you compare the UB vs the HD? I am loving the HD, but always looking for the next best GD shaft. 

Launch difference was marginal as in 1* difference with the UB seeming to launch lower.  Spin was the same.  UB was more anti-left for me and had less kick at the bottom.  I had the hardest time however, squaring the face with the UB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Launch difference was marginal as in 1* difference with the UB seeming to launch lower.  Spin was the same.  UB was more anti-left for me and had less kick at the bottom.  I had the hardest time however, squaring the face with the UB. 

Thanks man. The HD has been phenomenal for me. Longest drives of my life with it. No changing for me. SIM2 HD setup is a money maker. Appreciate it. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Just now, OspreyCI said:

Thanks man. The HD has been phenomenal for me. Longest drives of my life with it. No changing for me. SIM2 HD setup is a money maker. Appreciate it. 

Your welcome and good to hear!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

100% this...except for the squaring the face part (at least for me).

Also, I do agree above, everyone reacts differently to a shaft and how it works for them. However, I still don't feel anything in my UB that could be described as the "exact" same profile as the DI which I gamed for decade. But shoot, I don't know where half my drives are going anyways, so don't listen to me!

• Like 1

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

Thought the TP was supposed to be the new DI.

Never change, GDI!

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

2 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Never change, GDI!

I would whole heartedly disagree with that one. Hated the TP, really like the DI, but loved the UB.

Cobra Aerojet LS 9°  |  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
TaylorMade Sim Ti 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx
**IRON SET UNDER CONSTRUCTION** 
Titleist SM8 50° |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

7 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Never change, GDI!

Supposed to be, but it's not.  DI is unique.  TP is more stable, launches lower and quite easy to turn over for me.  Little less kick as well.  I would say it's the tweener that bridges the gap between the UB and DI. 

I’m currently in love with the UB and have it across the board on my woods. So I played the HD 6TX untipped at 45.25” in my ping G410 LST “9” degree set at big -. Was my favorite setup but spin was a bit high at 2500 average. Could have easily gamed it but found an untipped 6TX UB and gave it a go. Very similar numbers but average a touch lower launch and 2100 spin. Spin is also tighter on misses (own a GC3 and also tested on a track man with stickers on ball). Below is what I’m gaming. Have to say I took a guess on the tipping for my 3 wood and based it off some info i got from Johnny wonder with Callaway and his testing with UB (I’m a little faster but in the ballpark). Best 3 wood I’ve ever built and don’t plan on switching. Built my 7 wood based of my 3 wood build and how much I love it.
  ****The “” just mean I haven’t had the head digitally measured for loft. 

Driver - Ping G410 LST “9” set at Big - @45.25”, GD UB 6TX untipped D5+
SW 

3 Wood - Ping G425 LST “14.5” set at Big - @43”, GD UB 7X tipped 1.5” D3 SW 

7 Wood - Ping G425 Max “20.5” set at Small - @41”, GD UB 8X tipped 2” D2 SW 

• Like 2

On 3/3/2022 at 4:09 PM, RonSwanson said:

This helps me decide to go IZ 

thank you

I am looking forward to the 1st round tomorrow with the Rogue TD and UB 6s, hoping for some good results. Been traveling for 2 weeks so going in cold and the course has no range so the 1st swings will be off the tee.  

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

1 hour ago, Jim53 said:

I am looking forward to the 1st round tomorrow with the Rogue TD and UB 6s, hoping for some good results. Been traveling for 2 weeks so going in cold and the course has no range so the 1st swings will be off the tee.  

Then will you return it after it also doesn’t work…?

Edited by Brooks_Cupcake

6 minutes ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

Then will you return it after it also doesn’t work…?

You must be really bored, the only post you make are to troll others with smartWord not allowed comments.

• Like 1

SLED # 1  35.5

25 minutes ago, Jim53 said:

You must be really bored, the only post you make are to troll others with smartWord not allowed comments.

Not trolling anyone. Maybe go with your Callaway rep’s fitting recommendations to enjoy the best possible outcome for your time invested into this game vs trying and then returning.

Edited by Brooks_Cupcake
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

Not trolling anyone. Maybe go with your Callaway rep’s fitting recommendations to enjoy the best possible outcome for your time invested into this game vs trying and then returning.

When you start paying for my clubs I will take that into consideration.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

SLED # 1  35.5

On 3/4/2022 at 5:55 PM, Scottishducati said:

I’m currently in love with the UB and have it across the board on my woods. So I played the HD 6TX untipped at 45.25” in my ping G410 LST “9” degree set at big -. Was my favorite setup but spin was a bit high at 2500 average. Could have easily gamed it but found an untipped 6TX UB and gave it a go. Very similar numbers but average a touch lower launch and 2100 spin. Spin is also tighter on misses (own a GC3 and also tested on a track man with stickers on ball). Below is what I’m gaming. Have to say I took a guess on the tipping for my 3 wood and based it off some info i got from Johnny wonder with Callaway and his testing with UB (I’m a little faster but in the ballpark). Best 3 wood I’ve ever built and don’t plan on switching. Built my 7 wood based of my 3 wood build and how much I love it.
  ****The “” just mean I haven’t had the head digitally measured for loft. 

Driver - Ping G410 LST “9” set at Big - @45.25”, GD UB 6TX untipped D5+
SW 

3 Wood - Ping G425 LST “14.5” set at Big - @43”, GD UB 7X tipped 1.5” D3 SW 

7 Wood - Ping G425 Max “20.5” set at Small - @41”, GD UB 8X tipped 2” D2 SW 

What’s your driver SS?