2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Punch out club?

Seattlegolfnut

At least once a round I find myself in the trees wishing I had a club that I could punch out ~100 yards and fly it about 5 feet off the ground like a low bullet.

My lowest lofted iron is a 22* 4 iron. Usually when I need to punch, I grip way down on the shaft (past the grip) and dramatically forward lean to deloft. I have so-so success, and I just never feel comfortable with that setup. I’ve tried my woods and hybrid for less loft / lean, but feel even more uncomfortable to grip down and have a shaft half way up my arm.

I keep wishing I had a wedge-length 1 iron or a higher lofted putter.

I know the cynical response is work on game and don’t go in trees. I am doing that and hope to have a round where I don’t need a punch shot.

In the mean time, I have an open spot in my bag and can add another club. I think a punch out club could make the game a little more enjoyable for me and a little easier than trying to perfect the choke down forward press setup with a 4 iron.

Anyone ever seen or tried a club made like this?

40 minutes ago, Seattlegolfnut said:

At least once a round I find myself in the trees wishing I had a club that I could punch out ~100 yards and fly it about 5 feet off the ground like a low bullet.

My lowest lofted iron is a 22* 4 iron. Usually when I need to punch, I grip way down on the shaft (past the grip) and dramatically forward lean to deloft. I have so-so success, and I just never feel comfortable with that setup. I’ve tried my woods and hybrid for less loft / lean, but feel even more uncomfortable to grip down and have a shaft half way up my arm.

I know the cynical response is work on game and don’t go in trees. I am doing that and hope to have a round where I don’t need a punch shot.

In the mean time, I have an open spot in my bag and can add another club. I think a punch out club could make the game a little more enjoyable for me and a little easier than trying to perfect the choke down forward press setup with a 4 iron.

I had many of the same issues with an open spot in my bag. Tried the Bombtech 1 iron. It has worked fantastic for me. Much more solid and easy to hit than I had hoped it would be.

I have found no need to choke down on the grip or use excessive lean. It is easy to hit  low shots using normal iron techniques. It is also a great fairway finder into the wind when needed. My driver swing speed in in the mid 80's so it doesn't require high speed. It does need good technique. With a little practice I have been able to hit low runners from 50 up to 175 yds. without much trouble.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics C721 driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft
BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W
TM Sim2 19* hybrid
Maltby KE4 Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft
Maltby TSW-KRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil 75 R flex/spinner shaft
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

My home course is tree lined on every hole. It’s just about getting the technique down and setting up properly. I get practice almost every round and used to struggle with it but my recoveries have become a major strength in my game. Take a look at how tiger hits a stinger and notice how he will try and stop acceleration through the ball right after impact. I’ve found that the best way to keep it low and still get some heat on it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Seattlegolfnut said:

@Seattlegolfnut How about experimenting with a cobra one length hybrid (eg one with the baffler rails... ideally with adjustable loft adapter / adjustable weight in the sole?). 

For your punch-out question...

I see a bunch of benefits with a cobra baffler hybrid

eg 

.. Baffler Rails give forgiveness w.r.t. forward Lean/ non-chunk

..7-iron shaft length? (for the One-Length models)

.. Adjustable weight in the sole  (if you wish to get a shorter-length shaft & then need to adjust the swing weight)

the latest cobra king Tec hybrid seems to tick    some boxes (eg with the adjustable loft sleeve... but No Rails!!) and has the 2H/3H models. 

https://www.cobragolf.com/king-tec-hybrid

The speed zone one length starts at 3H and without the adjustable  loft sleeve ...

maybe the older F7 model if want Rails & adjustable loft sleeve?

https://www.cobragolf.com/speedzone-one-length-hybrid

C0318047-E010-40AF-9556-D6500F4817B9.jpeg

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, jordan2240 said:

Have a lot of practice with that shot, and a 4i played off the back foot seems to work well for me most of the time.  I don't usually choke down on it.

+1

My old 24° 4 iron was my go to club and my new 24° 5 iron seems just as effective.  I don't choke down either. I've nailed that punch shot so well on occasion I've considered playing it from the middle of the fairway lol. 

To the OP are you choking down so much because you are under such low hanging trees/bushes that you have to choke down to get any kind of swing at the ball? Or is it just the technique you employ? 

• Like 3

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I use my driving iron (Sub70 2 iron). Similar to what others have said, I just hit it off my back foot, which creates some natural shaft lean/delofting. Choked down very slightly, but not dramatically. Slightly abbreviated backswing and follow through.

I'd ask the same question as @kiwihacker... are you choking down so much as a technique, or because the conditions demand it? If it's technique, I'd say that's probably a significant contributor to your inconsistency. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Seattlegolfnut How about experimenting with a cobra one length hybrid (eg one with the baffler rails... ideally with adjustable loft adapter / adjustable weight in the sole?). 

For your punch-out question...

I see a bunch of benefits with a cobra baffler hybrid

eg 

.. Baffler Rails give forgiveness w.r.t. forward Lean/ non-chunk

..7-iron shaft length? (for the One-Length models)

.. Adjustable weight in the sole  (if you wish to get a shorter-length shaft & then need to adjust the swing weight)

the latest cobra king Tec hybrid seems to tick    some boxes (eg with the adjustable loft sleeve... but No Rails!!) and has the 2H/3H models. 

https://www.cobragolf.com/king-tec-hybrid

The speed zone one length starts at 3H and without the adjustable  loft sleeve ...

maybe the older F7 model if want Rails & adjustable loft sleeve?

https://www.cobragolf.com/speedzone-one-length-hybrid

C0318047-E010-40AF-9556-D6500F4817B9.jpeg

I'm not a single length player but I have a Cobra 3H SL in the bag. I picked it up when I first started playing as I struggled with the length of a standard 3H. Now I'm just used to it and I love hitting it. When needed, I can hit a 180yd runner that only gets 10 feet off the ground. Well, it's that or I top the sh*t out of it. Either way it doesn't launch very high.

• Haha 1

I’ve always used my 3-iron, and now 4-iron as my punch out club and use a putter grip chocked down. It’s a shot I’ve had to use more often than I’d like and am pretty confident in it.

For me personally, I wouldn’t want to carry an extra club just for punch out situations, and I err on the side of carrying less clubs vs more.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Somewhat planning your bag set-up; around a club to help you extricate yourself from 'the cabbage' seems somewhat daft. Driver is for most from a tee-peg only, a putter is only on the shortest of grasses, some wedges perhaps only used from sand etc etc. The number of clubs left for 'other shots' is dwindling fast. I wouldn't want to "waste" one remaining club therefore on a singular shot type......

I understand golf is not a game of perfect. And most certainly getting out of trouble is a thing for all of us at some point ! But; developing a technique for this shot with a club you already have - (So that it becomes a dual purpose club as-such) is surely a better initial 'solution'. Followed of course by practising like we all do to make it happen less and less.

Good luck !

• Like 4

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

2 hours ago, ode said:

Try to learn how to pitch, chip with all of your clubs, like you do when close to the green.  If you ever play solo throw a ball down at 100 yards and hit a punch shot to the green and see what club works the best.  You might be surprised at what that ends up being.

1 hour ago, SecondandGoal said:

I'd ask the same question as @kiwihacker... are you choking down so much as a technique, or because the conditions demand it? If it's technique, I'd say that's probably a significant contributor to your inconsistency. 

5 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

To the OP are you choking down so much because you are under such low hanging trees/bushes that you have to choke down to get any kind of swing at the ball? Or is it just the technique you employ? 

I've been thinking about this a bunch this morning.

Occasional environment. But it's mostly technique. I've been setting up this shot trying to make the same chip shot swing I would with a wedge, just with waaaaaayyyy less loft.

I'm a good putter and a good chipper with my 52 or 58 wedges. Putter is 33" and those wedges I play at 34.5". Like Luke and the force, I really feel like I can be "one" with the ball with my shorter clubs...ball closer to feet, hands closer to ball, etc. I just don't feel as connected when I try to make little shots with long clubs. Will continue to practice it, but my natural tendency is to choke down and nestle up.

• Like 1

Hybrid if the lie is reasonable or for hard pan. If the grass is gnarly, then something like a delofted 6i to gouge it out and keep it low. 

In a normal round my hybrid gets about as many shots as my driver or wedges, so sometimes I'll hit a whole bucket of range balls to simulate different hybrid shots. Tee shots, fairway shots, bare lies, punches/runners (with draw and fade), full shots flighted low/high, etc. 

Edited by Mych

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Am cynical, but…

7 iron.

The punch shot is just a longer pitch shot. It needs to be addressed correctly regardless of club selection.
That said, there are definitely more appropriate clubs than others. Wedges are generally out, since they’ll tend to fly too high. While longer clubs would seem appropriate, you really want a more vertical swing path so that the club head minimizes deflection and twisting in the often not so good ground conditions. If you play the ball correctly in your stance (back), you’ll tend to deloft it naturally. A low lofted club will/should fly too low if done “correctly” IME.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

3 hours ago, Seattlegolfnut said:

Thank you to everyone for constructive input and thoughts on technique and some equipment options!

Good luck! Honestly I don’t find the punch out shot that difficult.

It’s really just like “Bump & Run” shot mechanics with a longer club. You just choke down on your 4-iron and hold it like a putter, keep the ball in the middle of your stance, and hit the ball as if you were hitting a 50 foot lag putt.

With those mechanics the ball will go flying off the face about 5-feet off the ground and will travel whatever distance you need it to with the effort you put into the swing. Just be careful for the rollout.

I’ve been having disastrous results with the Driver this season, so I use the punch out all the time. Used it about 5-times in my round yesterday unfortunately. You’ll get there, just need to keep working at it.

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 2

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Just learn to hit your 4i better.  Spend maybe 1/3 of your time at the range next time trying a variety of ball positions and and abbreviated swings (think Pelz wedge swings). 

The reality is that it isn't hard to hit a low 4i 100y as it doesn't take a huge swing or much effort.  The bigger the swing, the more spin created and the higher the ball will likely climb until you have technique and fundamentals of the shot down to execute it better.  

Edited by PEI_Golfer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A Revolving Door

12 minutes ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Just learn to hit your 4i better.  Spend maybe 1/3 of your time at the range next time trying a variety of ball positions and and abbreviated swings (think Pelz wedge swings). 

The reality is that it isn't hard to hit a low 4i 100y as it doesn't take a huge swing or much effort.  The bigger the swing, the more spin created and the higher the ball will likely climb until you have technique and fundamentals of the shot down to execute it better.  

Gotcha on that...makes sense.

I'm with you that I don't find it hard. Just feels really uncomfortable (unnatural) to choke down on the 4i so much with my bottom hand on the shaft; hence my question about any equipment out there that was more wedge-length with a lower lofted head. I figured not but was curious.

38 minutes ago, Jeff58 said:

Am cynical, but…

7 iron.

The punch shot is just a longer pitch shot. It needs to be addressed correctly regardless of club selection.
That said, there are definitely more appropriate clubs than others. Wedges are generally out, since they’ll tend to fly too high. While longer clubs would seem appropriate, you really want a more vertical swing path so that the club head minimizes deflection and twisting in the often not so good ground conditions. If you play the ball correctly in your stance (back), you’ll tend to deloft it naturally. A low lofted club will/should fly too low if done “correctly” IME.

7i waste high to waist high works for me.

There is also a bit of course management at play as well, if you are trying to hit a 100yrd carry shot and keep it low, you are likely trying to bite off too much. The 30yr conservative punch out is likely the better play

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Good luck! Honestly I don’t find the punch out shot that difficult.

It’s really just like “Bump & Run” shot mechanics with a longer club. You just choke down on your 4-iron and hold it like a putter, keep the ball in the middle of your stance, and hit that ball as if you were hitting a 50 foot lag putt.

With those mechanics the ball will go flying off the face about 5-feet off the ground and will travel whatever distance you need it to with the effort you put into the swing. Just be careful for the rollout.

I’ve been having disastrous results with the Driver this season, so I use the punch out all the time. Used it about 5-times in my round yesterday unfortunately. You’ll get there, just need to keep working at it.

Appreciate that! I've never really learned that bump and run being in the Northwest where there's usually a bump but no run most of the year on soggy grass. Thankfully that hasn't been the case the last several weeks!

• Like 1

For me if it is simply 'get the ball back into the fairway (100'ish yards) with no particular trajectory issues it is a 6i/7i. If I need to keep the ball down but not knee high down, it is a 4i hybrid (would have been a 3i back when I carried one). If I need a knee high, hard runner then it is a choked down, back in the stance 3w (mine is 16*). 

My swing got so bad a year or so back, that I played golf mostly hitting those knockdown shots rather than full swing shots (from the fairway). So I am comfortable with that. 

dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seattlegolfnut said:

I've been thinking about this a bunch this morning.

Occasional environment. But it's mostly technique. I've been setting up this shot trying to make the same chip shot swing I would with a wedge, just with waaaaaayyyy less loft.

I'm a good putter and a good chipper with my 52 or 58 wedges. Putter is 33" and those wedges I play at 34.5". Like Luke and the force, I really feel like I can be "one" with the ball with my shorter clubs...ball closer to feet, hands closer to ball, etc. I just don't feel as connected when I try to make little shots with long clubs. Will continue to practice it, but my natural tendency is to choke down and nestle up.

To me there are two situations. One is where you have very little option but to chip the ball back into play be it anywhere from 10-50 yards. Employing the technique you describe makes sense in that situation. The second situation that I find myself in more often is where you have an opening and can hit a full shot but you have to start the shot low to get it under the trees. For this shot I play it off my back foot and swing hard with a normal grip. I can hit this shot about 180-190 which is normal distance for my 4/5 iron. 

• Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter