2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Pigskin Pick 'em Party

greenemachine

We all arrived in our host's Chevy Suburban (ultimate foursome mobile) one hour before the tee time. Once we loaded up the golf carts I walked over to our host Dr. KB and said here is something for ya for when you get dejected after reeling off a string of bogeys. I handed him a pint of Bulleit Bourbon as a host gift. He laughed and said I probably would need the sauce sooner being it was my first go on this golf course. On the range I hit mediocre shots at best. We moved over to the practice green and it was plenty fast. I asked Jordan who stimps our greens every morning and posts the number on the daily board at BFCC what he thought they were running. He said high 12's if not 13 flat. They were bermuda which I seem to putt better on compared to bent. The foursome was comprised of Dr. KB, Mike the iron man from the men's grill kitchen, Jordan our course's assistant superintendent, and some Ian Poulter looking Motha  F'r. Doc said we would play a team bet and cart partners would be the teams so that meant Jordan was my teammate. He is a great young man who has the admiration of the entire large turf maintenance staff at BFCC. Jordan is also a Michigan brother as he is originally from Grand Rapids. Jordan really appreciates golf course design and came to BFCC by way of the number one rated course in North Carolina Wade Hampton in Cashiers, NC down by the SC state line. This Gary Player design blew him away.  I was nervous and jittery as I always am the first time at a new country club. 

We played the designated No. 2 tees

6202 yards

It was 83*, very humid, cloudy, with an incoming tropical storm 

Our starter/host guy told us that due to the renovation of the clubhouse and some construction around the parking lot that they had swapped 9's for the season. We would be starting on what would normally be the back nine. As we parked at the first tee box our host said that even though there is great deal of waste areas the fairways were fairly wide and forgiving. As I climbed up on the first tee box I noticed two things. First this course looked like nothing I play in my 8 course rotation in Asheville. It reminded me more of a course I might find back in my desert days. I noticed also that both of my hands were trembling bad. I for some reason was more nervous than normal to start this round, I was damn shaky. I hit a big push with my first drive that ended only 2 feet from the right side waste area. Standing in the first fairway I looked all around at the golf course and thought to myself this is a track where course management was paramount in being able to shoot a decent number. I had to hit smart straight golf shots and keep clear of all the gnarly wild grasses and out of the multitude of fairway bunkers. I had to know my precise yardages to manage forced carry's and be aware of the numerous fall offs. I hit a very thin hot runner hybrid approach that some how scooted all the way up onto the first green. I two putted and made par on 1. Number two is a short par 3 of 125 yards. I caught it bit thin and it ended up in the hazard in front of the green. I found my ball in the hazard and it was dry but sitting up on big bed of swirling Scottish grass. I had really dicey footing in the hazard. I got my wedge too far under the ball so my shot hit the steep knoll in front of the green and rolled right back to my feet. I got my third shot on and two putter for a double. I bogeyed the 3rd and 4th hole so I was 4 over after 4. I had eaten a honey bun, a protein bar, drank two waters, and took a few hits off a joint during my opening holes to address my shaky condition, but found myself still badly afflicted with the trembles as we played the fourth hole. I figured I better find some way to get steady or this was going to be quite an uncomfortable round. As we were driving to the 5th tee Dr. KB tells us that the halfway house was just over to our right and because of the rerouting of the golf holes this would be the last time we had a chance for some food and drink so please stop over and grab anything we may want. DING DING DING that was the answer. I shot over to the F & B shack and grabbed a six pack of sexy skinny white cans. As I drove to the fifth tee I slammed my first Stella. Dang it if P3P can consume beers and still be a great player maybe today that might work for me I thought. The guy who never drinks alcohol while playing decided to drink beers in an effort to calm down. It did the trick. I started to hit my straight 225 yard commish drives in the short grass and continued to do so for the remainder of the round. I got my iron game back on track and hit plenty of greens. I really felt confident putting starting on the 5th hole as well. It has been some time since I have experienced being in a zone on the greens but that great sensation came over me and I made it through the round without a three putt. I saw the lines and cozied up all my first putts from distance. I drained one birdie and lipped out 3 others. I made pars on the 1,2,4,5, and 7 toughest handicap holes. With so much trouble lurking all around if one were to hit an errand shot I found it incredible that for the remainder of the afternoon  I was never in sand of any kind nor one single waste area. I executed what I had set forth to do on the first hole and that was to concentrate on playing with my best course management skills.  The other guys in the group were not so fortunate. I did not lose a ball, I did not take one penalty stroke, I never made a double, and as I said had zero 3 whacks. From the fifth hole on I played really good golf. Thanks Stella Artois's. The rain started coming down as we walked off the 16th green. Due to the weather forecast we came prepared and put on our waterproofs. I got out my extra large Tour sized umbrella. I messed up my first rain hole with a bogey on 17. Eighteen is a par 5 with two turns to it. I put my drive in the correct spot and then purred a 3 wood to about 25 yards short of the green. In the pouring rain my hand slipped on shot 3 my lob wedge to the green. I fatted it to 8 feet in front of me. I tossed up another try and she came to rest in the middle of the green. When I got over my putt Doc says ram in another birdie LP, I reply with, I wish, but I laid the sod over one down there and this is for par Doc. In the rain I got over that last putt with the confidence I had been exuding all day. It was an uphill 25 footer with about 18 inches of left to right slide. I put a fine stroke on it. It had the right line and it was the proper pace........it dropped. I might have done a little hip shimmy dance walking onward for 30 feet in celebration. After being 4 over after four I finished with a 6 over 78. I beat 2nd place by 4 shots. Jordan and I won a bunch of team bets. Jordan took the silver medal with an 82.

The Cliffs at Mountain Park golf course is one of my new favorites.

How on the 5th hole did I flip the switch so dramatically? Let me go back to something Pete said earlier in the week and twist it to suit my round.

"It's why we play golf. Sometimes those things just happen. "

I welled up a bit with joyous emotion and as we were walking to the carts coming off the 18th green following the end of the round handshakes, I look Dr. KB directly in the eyes as I pounded my heart with my fist and said,

"thank you sir for providing me with one of my best days on a golf course all season." 

What SLUMP?   !!!! 

The winning team was all smiles.  

That was a memorable round. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 4

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Golf Pride P Only Blue Star 

Bunkers don't get any better looking. Gorgeous. The pin with a red flag is just behind the left side of the shaggy stuff. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Edited by touch
  • Like 4

You are looking at Lake Broadmoor. In the photo is the 9th green, 10th and 12th holes, and the practice putting green. They are all under water. More on the damage yesterday's heavy rain did to Asheville coming. I was supposed to host two new caddies for a round at BFCC at 2 pm this afternoon. BFFC is flooded and the clubhouse is still without power since last night. We were under a tornado warning for hours yesterday afternoon. It is sunny and nice today. Let the clean up begin. I have some amazing shots from BFCC's course  that Jordan provided me coming your way later today fellas. 

I feel fortunate I got in my special round Monday as some courses around these mountains will be closed for days. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

No. 2 at BFCC.

number 2 flood bfcc.jpg

Edited by touch
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Other flooded holes on BFCC. Jordan said all the bunkers on the course were found in this condition today. That course has a good number of very large bunkers. So much work lies ahead. The course saw 3 inches yesterday and 7 total over the last three days.

Edited by touch
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, touch said:

Other flooded holes on BFCC. Jordan said all the bunkers on the course were found in this condition today. That course has a good number of very large bunkers. So much work lies ahead. The course saw 3 inches yesterday and 7 total over the last three days.

IMG_5052_6.jpg

IMG_5054_6.jpg

IMG_5053_6.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

Dang, that’s unreal. And expensive those bunkers aren’t coming back, I hope the drainages didn’t create little canyons of washout which need to be filled and seeded. So much for Julie Effing Andrews. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

20 hours ago, Petethreeput said:

Dang, that’s unreal. And expensive those bunkers aren’t coming back, I hope the drainages didn’t create little canyons of washout which need to be filled and seeded. So much for Julie Effing Andrews. 

Not as bad a situation as we thought regarding the bunkers' repair. More on the fixing of them when I return home. 

• Like 2

Storm damage to bunkers.

Pete it is just cleaning the area up real well and adding fresh sand because BFCC has Billy Bunker's. I went out on the course to visit Jordan early this morning and he was working in the large green side bunker on the Par 3 Third hole.  Where the sand had vanished on the side slope of the trap I saw a uniform layer of stone with a glaze over the surface. I asked Jordan what is with that layer underneath? I then learned of Billy Bunkers. A couple times a week I go out for a quick chat with Jordan. Besides being a fine young man to visit with I always learn something new from him regarding course maintenance, their specific equipment, or like today How It's Made.  

We opened at noon today with many bunkers still not having received any attention. The flooding creeks have receded. Cart Path only of course and probably for several days.

History of the original "Billy Bunker"

It was during Billy Fuller’s tenure at Augusta National Golf Club as golf course superintendent from 1981 – 1986 that he developed what has become affectionately known as “Billy Bunkers,” a specification for constructing golf course sand bunkers.  Originally known as the Enhanced Bunker Drainage Method, the primary purpose behind this spec was to minimize sand erosion and sand contamination from native soils during heavy rainstorms.  Fuller left Augusta to join Cupp Design as design associate and senior agronomist with Bob Cupp.  In 1994 he introduced the Billy Bunker spec to the golf construction industry, and since then more than 600 golf courses across North America have used this method to construct bunkers.  The primary features of this bunker spec are a two-inch gravel layer applied over the bunker floor and herringbone tile system capped with a geo-textile liner.  The gravel serves as a conduit for water to transfer down the bunker floor slopes into the tile pipe system, thus greatly reducing and/or eliminating sand movement.  The liner secures the gravel blanket and prevents native soils underneath from contaminating the preferred bunker sand that was installed overtop the liner.  This method has consistently reduced manpower requirements in bunkers following rainstorms by 80 percent or more.

https://www.billybunker.com/

Edited by touch
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Edited by touch
  • Like 3

Things are getting back to normal. This is the second hole, the one that became a muddy river from the heavy rain. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 3

Edited by touch
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Qqq123xx said:

Is it to early to say the Pats will go undefeated and win the Super Bowl ?

Lets discuss.....

You have a better chance of Ortiz coming out of retirement and DH'ing for your Red Socks in the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, touch said:

You have a better chance of Ortiz coming out of retirement and DH'ing for your Red Socks in the playoffs. 

Probably be safer for him. 

• Haha 1

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

21 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Here in AZ it has been beautiful but crazy.  2 nights ago we had over 100 strikes a minute and 80mph winds.  I think one hit my tree!

image.png.617af058f90b2cadb342ee3e5581eb56.png

image.png.ce5fd6f4c3e93167a288f21120eeebbd.pngimage.png.e733eb7c49dd27cc025059c1b93f23af.png

That's some seriously crazy stuff. And way to close for comfort. 

• Like 1

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

3 hours ago, Qqq123xx said:

Is it to early to say the Pats will go undefeated and win the Super Bowl ?

Lets discuss.....

Q Man I am watching tape now but will try and answer your question a little bit later. Honestly I think the Pats are a sneaky sleeper team in the AFC East and in the AFC as a whole. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Here in AZ it has been beautiful but crazy.  2 nights ago we had over 100 strikes a minute and 80mph winds.  I think one hit my tree!

image.png.617af058f90b2cadb342ee3e5581eb56.png

image.png.ce5fd6f4c3e93167a288f21120eeebbd.pngimage.png.e733eb7c49dd27cc025059c1b93f23af.png

P48 that is beautiful... and some what frightening all at the same time! That bites with what happed to your tree but it sounds like you're okay and hopefully no property damage was done.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, greenemachine said:

P48 that is beautiful... and some what frightening all at the same time! That bites with what happed to your tree but it sounds like you're okay and hopefully no property damage was done.  

We made it safely through it;  the tree had to be cut down and stumpgrinded; tree branches hit the roof and took out some roof tiles, crushed another tree and then damaged the wall a bit.  

• Sad 4

😁

Doc's take.

May be an image of ‎2 people, people playing football and ‎text that says '‎I swear to god, if we have to watch ۔tc Tom Brady's son dominate the next three decades... 95‎'‎‎

• Haha 3

P48, that is one amazing photograph. I know from my experience out west that the bad storms produce that array of purple and salmon color. Though mighty pretty, those colors meant a most severe and dangerous storm would soon be experienced.

Glad you and yours only lost a tree and a few clay tiles. 

Wonder how many thrill seekers went out and hit the washes as soon as the electricity from above ceased if you also got a bunch of rain?

Edited by touch
  • Like 2

First golf Playoff.

Xander and Jordan both tied the course record toady with 62's. Pretty unbelievable. JT and Rahm with 63's yesterday. Going low in Jersey. Calls for Bruce.

• Like 3

On 8/20/2021 at 6:51 PM, touch said:

First golf Playoff.

Xander and Jordan both tied the course record toady with 62's. Pretty unbelievable. JT and Rahm with 63's yesterday. Going low in Jersey. Calls for Bruce.

Being that JT, Jordan, and Xander are all Parker horses, maybe they're just trying to get a W as a birthday present for Tour Chef.

The photo is of my buddy and his wife back in our Vegas Days.

Chef's at home in Houston golfing in late August.

108* Heat Index he said it was today. My lord that's sounds too hot. 😬  Tough Brit. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 3